Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Children of Men

First time seeing this. Good, but not quite as good as I was hoping. The long action shots were pretty amazing.

The Good the Bad and the Ugly

Recently bought the whole Dollars trilogy on Blu-Ray. First time I've seen it in a while. Still feel like Once Upon a Time in the West is my favorite Leone western, but damn what a movie. Epitome of the phrase "they don't make 'em like they used to."
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    bondboy007 wrote:
    Children of Men

First time seeing this. Good, but not quite as good as I was hoping. The long action shots were pretty amazing.

The Good the Bad and the Ugly

Recently bought the whole Dollars trilogy on Blu-Ray. First time I've seen it in a while. Still feel like Once Upon a Time in the West is my favorite Leone western, but damn what a movie. Epitome of the phrase "they don't make 'em like they used to."

'Children of Men' is one of my favorite films. Cuaron's filmmaking style is so unique, and I'm a big fan because of it. Clive Owen as excellent in this, as well, alongside a wonderful supporting cast.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Ted 8/10

Love this movie more than I thought I would. It's funny because if it wasn't a teddy bear and just a real guy it wouldn't have been as funny.
    Fighting (2009) 8/10
    Channing Tatum, Terrence Howard
    Great fighting scenes and enjoyable movie.
  • Ted 8/10

Love this movie more than I thought I would. It's funny because if it wasn't a teddy bear and just a real guy it wouldn't have been as funny.

Just watched it too. I give it 9/10.

It's the closest thing we can get to a live-action Family Guy episode. And I most especially like the Flash Gordon references they put. Bonus points for John Bennett's funny rendition of All Time High.
    I borrowed the 'Alien Anthrology' from one of my bosses, so I'm doing a little 'Alien' marathon.

'Alien' is a fantastic, creepy horror film. That scene in the air duct gets me every time. I know 'Leviathan' came out after it, but I think the films are easily comparible in that the story takes a bit to build up, lots of mystery surrounds what this creature is, and then we finally get a good look at it towards the end. I'm about a half hour in to 'Aliens' now, and I hear it's a lot more action-oriented than the claustrophobic, eerie feel that 'Alien' had, which is a shame. We'll see how it is. I haven't seen it in years, so I don't remember anything from it.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Honey, I Shrunk The Kids. (1989)
    Rick Moranis, Matt Frewer

A simple movie about an inventor who accidentally shrinks his kids and his neighbors kids and accidentally throws them out with the trash. The kids have to find a way to get back to the house, but also have to dodge the perils of insects and lawnmowers.

I loved this movie as a child and still love it to this day. It's very adventurous and had brilliant witty humorous dialogue. The special effects are near perfect and the acting is wonderful. I recommend this movie to anyone looking for a laid back good family movie.

10/10
    The Russia House
    Great story by le Carré (as always) and superb acting by Connery and Pfeiffer. I felt this was a Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (2011) should've been: artistic but with lots of dialogue to keep focus on the complex story.
    Interestingly there as also Michael Kitchen (Tanner) whom I've never seen in a movie outside Bond.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    0013 wrote:
    The Russia House
    Great story by le Carré (as always) and superb acting by Connery and Pfeiffer. I felt this was a Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (2011) should've been: artistic but with lots of dialogue to keep focus on the complex story.
    Interestingly there as also Michael Kitchen (Tanner) whom I've never seen in a movie outside Bond.

Have you read "Our Kind of Traitor", @0013?
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 1,817
    0013 wrote:
    The Russia House

Indeed. I know is not his best and I believe that'll your point, but I like it. It combines my two favorite topics in fiction: espionage + organized crime.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    0013 wrote:
    0013 wrote:
    The Russia House

Indeed. I know is not his best and I believe that'll your point, but I like it. It combines my two favorite topics in fiction: espionage + organized crime.
    I just wanted to know your opinion. I though it was uninteresting and very predictable.
    0013 wrote:
    0013 wrote:
    The Russia House

I just wanted to know your opinion. I though it was uninteresting and very predictable.

Even the last page?
    0013 wrote:
    0013 wrote:
    0013 wrote:
    The Russia House

Even the last page?

That's the predictable part.
  • Batman Begins, still my favourite of the trilogy.

Currently watching Chinatown for the third time in as many weeks.
    0013 wrote:
    0013 wrote:
    0013 wrote:
    The Russia House

Even the last page?

I naively didn't see it coming...
    0013 wrote:
    0013 wrote:
    0013 wrote:
    0013 wrote:
    The Russia House

Even the last page?

It's le Carré, so I figured: What's the most depressing way to end this novel, leaving me angered and distanced? I thought of it, and low and behold, he didn't disappoint.
  • BondSpy007BondSpy007 Atlanta, GA
    The last movie I watched, being the Holiday season and all, was A Christmas Carol, the Alastair Sim version from 1951. Definitely my favorite version though I do love the George C. Scott one as well. This one is just so dark and I love the black and white filming- the shadows and figures are fantastic!
    0013 wrote:
    0013 wrote:
    0013 wrote:
    0013 wrote:
    The Russia House

Even the last page?

It's le Carré, so I figured: What's the most depressing way to end this novel, leaving me angered and distanced? I thought of it, and low and behold, he didn't disappoint.

Now that you say it it could happen today to me but not then because Our Kind of Traitor was the first one I read. By the way, at the end of The Russia House (movie) I was expecting a murder...
    @0013, I haven't read/seen "The Russia House".

So I spoil it to you?? Sorry 0Brady... Anyway I can confirm nor deny that there's a murder at the end.
    0013 wrote:

So I spoil it to you?? Sorry 0Brady... Anyway I can confirm nor deny that there's a murder at the end.
    I probably won't see it or watch it anyway.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Bram Stoker's Dracula

bram-stoker-dracula-vampire.jpg

I'm a Dracula fan. I love the novel, plenty of Dracula films and a lot of EU material, including comics. One of my absolute favourites in the Dracula vault is Francis Ford Coppola's 1992 film version, correctly titled Bram Stoker's Dracula.

Starring Gary Oldman, as the count, as well as Winona Ryder, Anthony Hopkins, Keanu Reeves, Richard Grant, Monica Bellucci, Cary Elwes, Sady Frost and Tom Waits, this version is perhaps one of the strongest competitors to the 'classics' Dracula (1930), Nosferatu (1922 and 1978) and The Horror Of Dracula (1958).

The music, the visual style, the acting and the script of the film all match perfectly and shape the curious tale of Prince Vlad into a dreamy, frightening frenzy of horror and love.

Recommended.
    5/5
  • Batman begins, IMO along with Superman The Movie, and The Watchmen the best comic book movies. Can't separate them, equally good for different reasons.
  • "<a href="http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_skin_i_live_in/"/>La Piel que Habito</a>", or "The skin I live in", by Pedro Almodóvar.
    IMDB & Rotten Tomatoes: ★ ★ ★ ★

If you plan watching this movie, you better open your mind. Believe me, you won't regret it.
    "<a href="http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_skin_i_live_in/"/>La Piel que Habito</a>", or "The skin I live in", by Pedro Almodóvar.
    IMDB & Rotten Tomatoes: ★ ★ ★ ★

If you plan watching this movie, you better open your mind. Believe me, you won't regret it.

One of the better films I saw this year. I fell in love with it; so unique, and Banderas was excellent in it.
  • I haven't had much time to watch many movies lately, but I saw most of the Poseidon Adventure recently. One of the best disaster movies, at least at sea, but a little far fetched at times. One for the time of year no doubt, but you'll think twice about having an end of year boat trip after watching this. A decent film for all the family and not quite the 'happy ever after' ending that some may be thinking
    Gene Hackman, the main lead, dies before the end, which may come as a surprise for first time viewers as you're sure he'll make it to the end while watching, with the last survivors

Goodnight
  • LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    edited December 2012 Posts: 523
    I've rewatched DAD and "NO. It ISN'T bad, at all."

It's still very Bond and amusing. But I cannot agree more when some say it could have been better. Certainly. In many ways. But as for QoS, same "syndrom", it's done and too late to be changed...so enjoy what can be in it.

Pierce Brosnan's general perf is one of the best for me, his most self-confident tenure and furthermore as a co-leading actor in a special script (I guess you know what I suggest) and even sometimes was too arrogant.

...arrogant. His only poor acting in DAD. The action scenes at 49, were more than acceptable. The peak during the fencing scene.

Mod edit: double post merged into one.
    @LicenedToKilt69007, to avoid double posting, just edit your previous comment with what you want to say.

I agree with DAD. It isn't absolute trash, but it is very far from being a great Bond film. I still enjoy it, though, and focus on the good when I watch it.
  • acoppolaacoppola London Ealing not far from where Bob Simmons lived
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Bram Stoker's Dracula

bram-stoker-dracula-vampire.jpg

I'm a Dracula fan. I love the novel, plenty of Dracula films and a lot of EU material, including comics. One of my absolute favourites in the Dracula vault is Francis Ford Coppola's 1992 film version, correctly titled Bram Stoker's Dracula.

Starring Gary Oldman, as the count, as well as Winona Ryder, Anthony Hopkins, Keanu Reeves, Richard Grant, Monica Bellucci, Cary Elwes, Sady Frost and Tom Waits, this version is perhaps one of the strongest competitors to the 'classics' Dracula (1930), Nosferatu (1922 and 1978) and The Horror Of Dracula (1958).

The music, the visual style, the acting and the script of the film all match perfectly and shape the curious tale of Prince Vlad into a dreamy, frightening frenzy of horror and love.

Recommended.
    5/5

This is arguably my favourite vampire film. The soundtrack by Wojciech Kilar is outstanding and even the legendary Danny Elfman said it was an influence on him for The Wolfman.

Gary Oldman deserved an Oscar for his performance. I loved the old style look of the film and it's strong themes. The film has many codings inside it.

Goodness just the way the film opens is spectacular.

By the way, do you like the Blu Ray as I hear it looks way different to the cinematic version or the pre-2007 DVD????????????

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Nope, I haven't seen the BR yet. Any differences to the DVD that you might be able to enlighten me on?