Purvis & Wade out - John Logan in for Bond 24

Comments

• edited October 2012 Posts: 2,598
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    tqb wrote:
    http://www.deadline.com/2012/10/gladiator-scribe-john-logan-to-write-next-two-james-bond-films/

He's finalizing deal to write 2 movies, that will have a story arc.

QUANTUM IS BACK! HOORAY!

Do you think they'll be back? I hope Quantum will return and we get a retro take on the organisation reminscent of Spectre. I'd love them to have their meetings in some medieval castle in the mountains.
  • I think it's possible to introduce a Blofeld-like character, but I don't think rebooting Blofeld himself is a good idea. The idea of reintroducing Quantum bores me a little.
    If the 2 movies will have a story arc then maybe both will be filmed at once? for a 2014 and a 2015 release date? I really hope Daniel stays on for 6 films in total.
  • tqbtqb
    I don't think the article stated anything bout quantum
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 5,745
    tqb wrote:
    I don't think the article stated anything bout quantum

It didn't. But what other story arc do you think they'd have that would make sense?
    If Logan campaigns to brink back Blofeld and Spectre, then I approve but with the proviso that cat comes along too.
    If Logan wants to attempt to incorporate some of the unused Fleming stuff too, that would be nice also. ie a proper MR but you wouldn't have to call the film MR. Same with Bond at the Castle of Death (YOLT). Something with the Spang Brothers (DAF) or rescuing Viv from the Dreamy Pines Motor Court (TSWLM)
  • tqbtqb
    It's probably an original idea.
    Really want Quantum to return
  • The 1 story arc over 2 films worries me because if they get it wrong then they dench up Craig's tenure as bond. If they get it right however then they secure his tenure as Bond.

IMO you would need a director/DOP/2nd Unit to sign up for the 2 films or otherwise we could get the CR,QOS scenario again.

• edited October 2012 Posts: 11,425
    HASEROT wrote:
    @Getafix.... i originally posted a great deal more.... but i am not going to engage anymore in this one sided discussion, with someone who is obviously immature, and doesn't know their subject matter beyond wikipedia.... i have no problem with you - but if you're going to be childish about it, then good day.

childish. me?

I think i win this one!
  • I just want Mendes to come back. He knows what he's doing. Best Bond director yet.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Quantum coming back at some point is inevitable and I think Logan is the guy to do it but bringing back Blofeld imo is bone-headed move. Lets move things forward and create new characters to add to the Bond lore. Blofeld was the head of SPECTER, we are dealing with a new organization called, QUANTUM. Leave Blofeld where he belongs and that's in the past.
    doubleoego wrote:
    Quantum coming back at some point is inevitable and I think Logan is the guy to do it but bringing back Blofeld imo is bone-headed move. Lets move things forward and create new characters to add to the Bond lore. Blofeld was the head of SPECTER, we are dealing with a new organization called, QUANTUM. Leave Blofeld where he belongs and that's in the past.

i think it's clear the producers feel free to reinvent/reboot whatever they like, so i would not be that surprised if blofeld returned.

• edited October 2012 Posts: 3,333
    The only reason Blofeld is constantly referred to as relic of the past is due to Eon losing the rights to use the character, otherwise he wouldn't have been frozen in time since DAF and would have been used quite regularly since, that I'm sure of. I discount FYEO as it was only implied that the bald fella at the beginning was Blofeld (sans rights) and it was way too goofy for my tastes to be taken seriously. In fact, I go so far as to say that FYEO did more to tarnish the image of Blofeld than that puerile Austin Powers series ever did!!

Anyway, this Bond is a reboot so anything can make a return.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited October 2012 Posts: 4,399
    Getafix wrote:
    HASEROT wrote:
    @Getafix.... i originally posted a great deal more.... but i am not going to engage anymore in this one sided discussion, with someone who is obviously immature, and doesn't know their subject matter beyond wikipedia.... i have no problem with you - but if you're going to be childish about it, then good day.

childish. me?

I think i win this one!

yes you win........ i am clearly not as skilled in design work and filmmaking as you are..... now if you'll excuse me, i gotta go fix my degree in Digital Media that is hanging on my wall - it's a little crooked.... talk at ya later :)>-
  • I've got ten yards breaststroke.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    God only knows how Craig will go out...

Good news.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I think the writing was on the wall for these 2 when their last 3 scripts were either polished or re-written by more talented and capable writers.

It was inevitable that they would get the push at some point, I can't imagine it's particularly encouraging to have your work changed or re-written regularly. I wouldn't mind betting they went at their own volition as they wanted to do something new, I can imagine they are deemed some what of a joke in their profession despite been made quite rich in the process.

Interesting to see Logan has a 2 film arc treatment proposal considering the reaction to QOS is straight up sequel wasn't received favourably by many. I personally didn't mind it though. I'm not sure about Blofeld returning I think the end of Skyfall has some instantly thinking or hoping Craig is now up for doing OTT adventures, I expect something like Skyfall but without the back story an ramped up emotional content, a straight up entry with Bond getting a mission and been sent to do it.
    Start with the GB into a standalone mini PTS and have DC turn up at HQ at the office to get M give him his mission some banter with Moneypenny and Q and then off to whatever country this mission is going to begin with. Using this ten plate maybe for 24 but not making it the same old thing every time like a Moore film but just as a start to this new stage of Craig's Bond era.

If the next film is a direct sequel or has elements going to continue, whether Logan has a cliffhanger idea, actually leaving it up in the air for the next film or just it will have a conclusion with threads to be resolved in the next film, who knows what he has planned I won't be disappointed if Quantum figures, I didn't get the idea Skyfall was a reboot just some time after the events of CR & QOS.

I guess we'll see soon enough what he has planned unless they decide to keep this story under wraps allot nearer to the release like with Skyfall.
  • I'm glad Logan is writing it but I'm not too sure about another 2 film arc. I like having each Bond be sort of a stand alone.

We'll see I suppose. I would like to see a rebooted Blofeld, but working solo. No SPECTRE and no Quantum.

After SF's ending I think we're going to be getting a normal Bond film. Bond (who isn't a rookie) gets his mission and goes and does it. And to be honest I'm glad, we haven't had one of those for a while.
    I'd be good with a two film arc, with Bond battling Quantum. Quantum is still out there. The two films could very well be stand-alone, but there could be some story continuity between the two movies, with Bond possibly destroying Quantum in the second film, or at least knocking it out of commission for a while.
    I would really like to see Bond back on a mission though, minus the character drama of the first 3 Craig films.
  • timmer wrote:
    I'd be good with a two film arc, with Bond battling Quantum. Quantum is still out there. The two films could very well be stand-alone, but there could be some story continuity between the two movies, with Bond possibly destroying Quantum in the second film, or at least knocking it out of commission for a while.
    I would really like to see Bond back on a mission though, minus the character drama of the first 3 Craig films.

That's a good idea. Have them both work as stand alones but have Quantum arc over, sort of like the 60s films did with SPECTRE. I just don't want a direct sequel like QOS.

I agree with you. The character drama is great but now SF is done, I just want a normal Bond film. Something like TB or TSWLM.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    timmer wrote:

That's a good idea. Have them both work as stand alones but have Quantum arc over, sort of like the 60s films did with SPECTRE. I just don't want a direct sequel like QOS.

i was about to say the exact same thing - a two film arch isn't a terrible thing, as long as it's not of the 'direct sequel' variety, but more of the TB-YOLT type.... we were barely introduced to QUANTUM in CR, and we got just a brief glimpse into how they operate in QOS..... since they've sat out SF, it would be nice to bring them back into the mix in a similar way they did with TB after GF....
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 820
    I hope it will be done soon or somewhere early next year.
    Hold your horses! A story arch doesn't necessarily mean the upcoming movies will have consistent antagonists. It strikes me as equally likely that the arch may purely involve Bond's personal character development. In fact, that's what I hope it means!
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 11,425
    HASEROT wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    HASEROT wrote:

childish. me?

I think i win this one!

yes you win........ i am clearly not as skilled in design work and filmmaking as you are..... now if you'll excuse me, i gotta go fix my degree in Digital Media that is hanging on my wall - it's a little crooked.... talk at ya later :)>-

good. glad you're able to concede graciously.

and a digital media degree as well... impressive.
  • Just because Mr. White is alive that doesn't mean Quantum exists. He was a facilitator, and D. Greene told Bond all there is about quantum.
    edited October 2012 Posts: 4,399
    Just because Mr. White is alive that doesn't mean Quantum exists. He was a facilitator, and D. Greene told Bond all there is about quantum.

someone mentioned it a while back - forgive me but i cant remember who it was..... but it would be an interesting change of pace, and go against the cliche' norm for a SPECTRE type organization of having this evil mastermind at the helm... but with QUANTUM he suggested that there be no distinct "head" or leader of the organization - or that the leader would be a fictitious person, made up - so that no one person could be taken down and cause the whole thing to collapse.... by having no leader, or a fake made up one - it's way to keep the organization fresh, and always evolving - and a way to keep the mystery surrounding the group going, by never knowing who is really pulling the strings..

i kind of like this idea as well - would be interesting if this could be the route they go with QUANTUM in the future.
    HASEROT wrote:
    Just because Mr. White is alive that doesn't mean Quantum exists. He was a facilitator, and D. Greene told Bond all there is about quantum.

someone mentioned it a while back - forgive me but i cant remember who it was..... but it would be an interesting change of pace, and go against the cliche' norm for a SPECTRE type organization of having this evil mastermind at the helm... but with QUANTUM he suggested that there be no distinct "head" or leader of the organization - or that the leader would be a fictitious person, made up - so that no one person could be taken down and cause the whole thing to collapse.... by having no leader, or a fake made up one - it's way to keep the organization fresh, and always evolving - and a way to keep the mystery surrounding the group going, by never knowing who is really pulling the strings..

I kind of like this idea as well - would be interesting if this could be the route they go with QUANTUM in the future.

A Few people went with this idea I love it as well
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    Quantum as the new SPECTRE, with some nice nods to the latter would we neat.

An organization with branches in every country...
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I just watched the premiere footage. Theres a priceless moment when Ralph Fiennes is interviewed on the red carpet and says 'well John Logan wrote a terrific script' as if P&W didnt even exist.

I suspect these two were something of a laughing stock between Mendes, DC and the distinguished cast and as far as anyone on the film was concerned it was Logans work.

I love to imagine Mendes, Dan, Javier, Ralph and Judi in a trailer one day ripping the piss out of how clueless P&W were and Babs walked past and overheard and finally saw the light that these clowns were just amateurs holding the series back. She realised if she didnt sack them sharpish they would be laughing at her next.