bond girl rumor #4 Naomie Harris. News of the world says it's officially her.

Comments

• ["Can't be any worse than Halle Berry or Grace Jones."]

It's amazing that Wint managed to name only black actresses. Gee, I wonder why.
    It's not necessarily racist: Jinx, May Day and Rosie Carver were all awful Bond girls, just a coincidence that they're black. There's always a Stacey Sutton to cancel them out.

• LudsLuds MIA
    ["Can't be any worse than Halle Berry or Grace Jones."]

It's amazing that Wint managed to name only black actresses. Gee, I wonder why.
    It's not necessarily racist: Jinx, May Day and Rosie Carver were all awful Bond girls, just a coincidence that they're black. There's always a Stacey Sutton to cancel them out.

Nonsense! MayDay was fabulous! She wasn't really a Bond girl though, not sexy at all, freakish look, more like a henchman with well eh... a female henchman I'd call her rather than henchwomen ;)
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited June 2011 Posts: 4,438
    I have 3 movies with her in my collection who i haven't seen yet. I hope she is cast for her acting/self and possible Jamaica background. There not be much blackgirls in Bond and it is a bit strange she cast around a Anniversary Bond movie like Barrey. If she is cast, i hope it be for a funny part. Not a girl who going on there own like Barrey. I hate the story line at Cuba in DAD because she did something Bond should do. Barrey be much better in X-men and Cat Woman. It be a choose of behaviour/background of the chacter.

The mean girls (i prefer 3) of Bond 23 should be girls from mean location(s) of Bond 23.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    M_Balje... "good" is not a word I would associate with the Cat Woman movie with Berry....
  • Naomie Harris is Miss Moneypenny.
    Wow. See that my proposal has been warmly recieved! :) For me, although Harris can be glamourous and a "good" actress, I think her general "look" is more cosmopolitan - which is very Moneypenny-esque. And I think she would absolutely sizzle with Daniel Craig!
  • JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Like everyone who's up for a role in a Bond film, she seems to really like the franchise and know a bit about it. I really hope some of these names we've heard from get the part for Bond 23. Too many good names mentioned to let them all go to waste!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2011 Posts: 15,690
    Caterina Murino was 29 in CR
    Eva Green was 26 in CR
    Olga Kurylenko was 29 in QOS
    Gemma Arterton was 22 in QOS

Can we have mature women return in Bond films, and not being 10+years younger than Bond ?? With Craig being 44 for B23, the Bond girls should be atleast 38/40 years old.

Continue this way, and Craig will turn exactly the same way as Sir Rog at the end of his tenure- being old enough to be the Bond Girls' dad !!

That's why I cringe at the rumours of 21/22 years old models being touted for roles - Will Craig seduce teenagers when he'll be 50 in Bond 26 ??
    edited June 2011 Posts: 13,350
    Caterina Murino was 29 in CR
    Eva Green was 26 in CR
    Olga Kurylenko was 29 in QOS
    Gemma Arterton was 22 in QOS

Can we have mature women return in Bond films, and not being 10+years younger than Bond ?? With Craig being 44 for B23, the Bond girls should be atleast 38/40 years old.

Continue this way, and Craig will turn exactly the same way as Sir Rog at the end of his tenure- being old enough to be the Bond Girls' dad !!

That's why I cringe at the rumours of 21/22 years old models being touted for roles - Will Craig seduce teenagers when he'll be 50 in Bond 26 ??
    Harris will be 35 during filming, so at last EON may be listening.
    Yes Samuel - but Craig will still be 9 years older than her... I'm tired of COUGAR BOND...
    edited June 2011 Posts: 13,350
    Yes Samuel - but Craig will still be 9 years older than her... I'm tired of COUGAR BOND...
    Much better than the girls being in their early to late 20's though, you can't deny it. There was a much bigger than 9 years between Bond and the girls in his first two films.

All I'm getting at is, this is a massive step forward, yet you still don't seem to like it.
    Samuel, you got me wrong - I do admit this is a step big step forward. She'll be the first Bond girl in her 30's since Halle Berry in DAD. But all I'm saying is that the Bond Girls' age must still continue to catch up to Craig's, if he continues past B23. Don't want to see a 50 years old Craig with a 22 years old model... Cue remarks of pedo Bond.
    But all I'm saying is that the Bond Girls' age must still continue to catch up to Craig's, if he continues past B23.
    Of yes of course, all the women need to be in their 30's at least, maybe even older becuase...
    Don't want to see a 50 years old Craig with a 22 years old model... Cue remarks of pedo Bond.
    ...this is what we don't want to ever happen again.

For Octopussy the age difference was about right but when A View To A Kill rolled around and Moore read the script with Stacey, he should have walked, if he hadn't already.
    43-19 for LALD, wasn't it?
  • edited June 2011 Posts: 1,497
    If we want to split hairs:

Moore: 54 to Carole Bouquet: 24!! in FYEO
  • I think that there's more to the age difference than simple math. Compare the way Moore and Connery looked in the early 70's - Moore was certainly more credible with younger leading ladies. There's also the perceived attractiveness of the actor playing Bond. When Brosnan was in the role I used to hear 18 year old girls that I worked with squealing with delight about him and how "hot" he was. They obviously found nothing wrong with the idea of him and an 18 year old girl! :-)

A large part of it has to do with how the actress playing the "Bond girl" carries herself. I would never have guessed that Arterton was only 22 when I watched QoS - she had such a presence and confidence that I could have bought her as much older. Same with Eva Green - she never seemed like a 26 year old to me, while Denise Richards seemed like she was younger than Green!
    I would never have guessed that Arterton was only 22 when I watched QoS - she had such a presence and confidence that I could have bought her as much older.
    OK... I don't know what you smoked last night... But I want some !!
    No. 45 and 22. ;-)
    No. 45 and 22. ;-)
    Darn it.

Still, that's quite... a... gap.
    Good for her.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I would never have guessed that Arterton was only 22 when I watched QoS - she had such a presence and confidence that I could have bought her as much older.
    OK... I don't know what you smoked last night... But I want some !!
    I must've smoked it too, because I agree completely. The character of Fields was inexperienced and her nervousness showed through to Bond, which is why he took advantage. Fields tried to be assertive but fell short.

Arterton's performance was good enough to relate that character trait to the audience.

I honestly thought (against most people's beliefs here) that she gave a very good, rounded performance and conveyed all the inadequacies of the character necessary, in the short screen time available.

When Fields tripped up Elvis she reacted with a tongue-in-cheek apology. Almost as if she didn't realise exactly how much danger she was putting herself in. And of course she didn't realise, because (as M explained) she was a filing clerk. She wasn't a field agent.

The tragedy of the character was almost Shakesperean, and one of the few lasting memories of this film.

There you are DC, now ask me what I'm smoking. B-)
  • character of Fields was inexperienced and her nervousness showed through to Bond, which is why he took advantage. Fields tried to be assertive but fell short.

Arterton's performance was good enough to relate that character trait to the audience.

I honestly thought (against most people's beliefs here) that she gave a very good, rounded performance and conveyed all the inadequacies of the character necessary, in the short screen time available.

When Fields tripped up Elvis she reacted with a tongue-in-cheek apology. Almost as if she didn't realise exactly how much danger she was putting herself in. And of course she didn't realise, because (as M explained) she was a filing clerk. She wasn't a field agent.

The tragedy of the character was almost Shakesperean, and one of the few lasting memories of this film.

There you are DC, now ask me what I'm smoking. B-)
    NicNac, I agree almost completely. A minor quibble - I wouldn't say that "Fields tried to be assertive but fell short". I think that she *was* an assertive, confident character but the situations she was in were out of her depth (as they would be for any normal person). Which may not be a disagreement with you.

I love me a spunky Bond girl and Arterton certainly was one. She made such an impression in such a short time that I wished she had been held back for a bigger role. In fact, I had expected that she would be a returning character based on a misinterpretation of a line in a review of QoS, so I was honestly shocked when she was killed.

What I love about a good actor is how they can show different sides to a character yet not have those traits seem contradictory. Think of how Fields (or to a much larger extent, Tracy) can be both confident *and* vulnerable. Great stuff.

One last minor thing - how lovely did Fields look at Greene's party with the 1960s-ish up-do and eye makeup? All that seemed missing has a long black cigarette holder!
    FieldsMan?? Is that you ??
    It's no secret that Arterton modeled Fields on Diana Rigg's Tracy, her favourite Bond girl, so that would explain the '60's feel.
  • LudsLuds MIA
    Busy, hiding.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I have 3 movies with her in my collection who i haven't seen yet. I hope she is cast for her acting/self and possible Jamaica background. There not be much blackgirls in Bond and it is a bit strange she cast around a Anniversary Bond movie like Barrey. If she is cast, i hope it be for a funny part. Not a girl who going on there own like Barrey. I hate the story line at Cuba in DAD because she did something Bond should do. Barrey be much better in X-men and Cat Woman. It be a choose of behaviour/background of the chacter.

The mean girls (i prefer 3) of Bond 23 should be girls from mean location(s) of Bond 23.
    The one fan of Catwoman? Could it be you, Balje? ;;)

Barry's not much good in anything if you ask me. I give the girl a chance, really I do. I don't mind her in Swordfish or Critical Decision. I guess she did what she had to do in X-Men (although that poor accent in X1 really had to go). But I don't know why everyone's so hot for her performance in Monster's Ball. It felt pretty average to me. Also, what did she do with that Oscar? Yes, she went straight for DAD and Catwoman. Wow... :P

• I think she would make a great Bond girl. I'd give her the chance!
    Busy, hiding.
    He sure did make me laugh sometimes !! :-))