Prometheus (2012)

Comments

Creasy47 wrote:
    Wasn't Prometheus supposed to be an Alien prequel until they altered it to be its own film separate from the Alien films?

You are correct.
    So why is everyone talking about sequels of it exploring the Alien universe?

Because the ending, which I won't spoil, didn't really set up Alien.

Exactly, its open to continuing on this new vein in the Alien universe.. which should eventually set up Alien.
    Another Ancient astronaut . . . .

Azull_PP_201202_Hallazgo%20arqueologico%20gigantezco%20en%20grecia_06.jpg

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I haven't seen the film in a few weeks, so a lot of it is lost from my mind, but I feel like
    the ending of the film was kind of what I was hoping for from the start: it was pretty much an "Okay, NOW we're going to go to where mankind really started, which is where we should have went to in the beginning. Two years of traveling with a group of incompetent scientists with a result of death and slaughter among the near entirety of us. Mistake on our part, let's get to where we should be now."
    I saw it last wek and my impression was that it was a visually stunning film, but a very missed opportunity as I just came out of it thinking 'what was the point'.
    The Alien references were probably the things that made sense the most, but in terms of everything else, I found myself not caring about anything because we never went into any level of detail in any areas that would make you actually care about anyone.
    The blu-ray is going to get fifteen minutes of extended/deleted sequences:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=9076
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited July 2012 Posts: 23,544
    I'd love to see those extras. Provided the scenes were cut to boost up the pace of the film, and not because they lacked in quality, it could be interesting. That said, I wish they'd offer the possibility of watching an extended cut of the film instead of watching the theatrical cut and then the deleted scenes as a bonus.
    @DarthDimi, that's how I've always felt, and voiced my opinion on it for Bond films about a week ago: give us the actual extended cuts, with said scenes added in, so we can watch the full thing, not the theatrical/unrated version, and then the scenes separately.
    Finally I managed to see it. My impression so far is that it´s a brilliant film.
    The boyfriend of Elisabeth Shaw, I forgot his name, was so annoying, he should have died much sooner
    , but all in all I was extraordinarily entertained. Actually, I can hardly wait to see it again, this time hopefully in 2D ;-).
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @DarthDimi, that's how I've always felt, and voiced my opinion on it for Bond films about a week ago: give us the actual extended cuts, with said scenes added in, so we can watch the full thing, not the theatrical/unrated version, and then the scenes separately.
    That would be a fair approach, even if I usually find the theatrical version by far better than the extended version, The Abyss being the only exception so far...

'Prometheus' sequel set for 2014 or 2015 release date, with some of the cast already set to return. Spoilers for the first film may follow this link:
    http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=93179
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I've no idea what the sequel will be, but I'll watch it when it comes out. Good news.
    I won't spoil the movie for those who haven't seen it but trust me: Its not that good. I actually enjoyed Moonrise Kingdom and the Dark Knight Rises more.
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    I won't spoil the movie for those who haven't seen it but trust me: Its not that good. I actually enjoyed Moonrise Kingdom and the Dark Knight Rises more.

It was alright. I guess I wasn't as crazy about it because the one trailer I watched gave me the appearance of a completely different film than what I watched, so perhaps that's why.
  • OHMSS69 wrote:

I thought it was better than the last 2 Alien films, and much better than some of Scotts other latest films (cough, Robin Hood, cough).
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    In terms of Ridley Scott it wasn´t as epic as Alien or Blade Runner, but it was as entertaining, and it has a nice Sci Fi vibe. I look forward to watching it again.

• I finally saw this yesterday! It was good- only I wasn't ready for it to end:
    When Shaw and Fassbender's head set off to explore on their own, I really wanted to see what they found- since they were on their own and could pretty much go where they wanted, without people like Vickers standing in their way

But hey- I guess that's a sign of a good movie- if you didn't want it to end!
  • I finally saw this yesterday! It was good- only I wasn't ready for it to end:
    When Shaw and Fassbender's head set off to explore on their own, I really wanted to see what they found- since they were on their own and could pretty much go where they wanted, without people like Vickers standing in their way

I'm guessing the sequel (rumoured to be called paradise) will carry on from there so I wouldn't worry.
    I think everyone who posted on this topic will appreciate this:

Sums up the film!
    I finally saw this yesterday! It was good- only I wasn't ready for it to end:

I think that´s part of the cleverness of the film: It is very much like a prequel, but the films to which it is the prequel do not exist (yet).

Which kind of makes me unsure if I want at all a sequel. On the one hand, I´m all hyped for watching how things go on from here. On the other hand it´s such a nice invitation to imagine a diversity of things.

• edited October 2012 Posts: 12,837
    I want two sequels, so it's a trilogy, and I also want the Aliens from the Alien films to return in the last one, which I want to properly set up Alien.

So if the sequel does turn out to be called Paradise, what about a 3rd film? I'd like them to name it Alien: something.
    Really looking forward to the next episode hopefully directed by Ridley Scot again.
    SaintMark wrote:
    Really looking forward to the next episode hopefully directed by Ridley Scot again.
    Last thing I read was that he´s directing it.
  • SaintMark wrote:

He's been talking about how he wants to do sequels and I don't think he'd have left it open if he didn't want to do it himself, since he kept talking about the Alien sequels and how he had to save the franchise.

So I think it's safe to say he'll be directing.
    And he said they'd be at least two more films before we're caught up with Alien again, so it will be a trilogy, if not four films.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    And he said they'd be at least two more films before we're caught up with Alien again, so it will be a trilogy, if not four films.

Bless his heart and hope he does not die before he has finished.

SaintMark wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

The second film looks like it will come out Summer 2015. I'm sure the powers that be will keep Ridley well. This series could be one hell of a masterpiece to end on.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

The second film looks like it will come out Summer 2015. I'm sure the powers that be will keep Ridley well. This series could be one hell of a masterpiece to end on.

2015 seems a little late. Could it not all be set into pre-production by the beginning of next year for a 2014 release? I mean, Scott seems pretty sure and adamant about a sequel coming, so it's not like they need to wait for him to get back on board or not.
    I agree 2014 would be better but going by the link posted on the previous page it could be 2014 or 2015. Time will tell, I guess.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    There's the practical concern of Scott's age for he shall be 76 (!) in 2014... Perhaps he should leave direction in the hands of someone a trifle more up to the challenge?
    Scott was up to it the first time and appears to be again, after that, you're right, it may be right to look elsewhere.
    Damon Lindelof will not be involved with the sequel to 'Prometheus':

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=98277