Prometheus (2012)

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    He said as much a while ago, so for better or worse, we'll get someone else's take next time. Let's hope it works.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited December 2012 Posts: 40,492
    Everyone trashes him when his latest work on a film comes out, yet he always seems to be in high demand.
    I only saw it once in theaters, but I thought it was one of the biggest wastes of time in terms of the ending: doesn't Rapace say something about not being the correct planet, and now they're going to where they originally wanted to be? Such a waste. I hate when films do this.
    And what's to say the new writer will be any better? How this Prometheus series turns out is very up in the air...
    Samuel001 wrote:
    And what's to say the new writer will be any better? How this Prometheus series turns out is very up in the air...

That it is. Time will tell. I just wish Scott stuck with the original idea of a sequel to 'Alien.' Isn't that what it was?
    edited December 2012 Posts: 13,350
    It was still meant to be a prequel but more connected than what the final film turned out to be.

For all we know, the next film will be worse due to another new face coming on board. Roll on 2015, is it? Looks like the next big year for film.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    It was still meant to be a prequel but more connected than what the final film turned out to be.

For all we know, the next film will be worse due to another new face coming on board. Roll on 2015, is it? Looks like the next big year for film.

Yep. And if they differ too much, people will complain about that. I just want something a lot closer to the Xenomorph from 'Alien' that what happened throughout 'Prometheus.'
    I still liked Prometheus a lot.

Visually one of the most beautifull movies of 2012.
    SaintMark wrote:
    I still liked Prometheus a lot.

Visually one of the most beautifull movies of 2012.

It was visually beautiful, yes, but I need so much more than that in a film. See: 'Avatar'. I wasn't crazy about it, I just enjoyed the visuals.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    For all the crap that Prometheus gets, I rather liked it. The story was good, the action was good, as were the actors and effects. I guess its a case of overly high expectations. Most people expected the best thing since Alien and were dissapointed. I judged my expectations right, and I liked the film. Especially the "cesarean" scene.
  • I liked the movie a lot, but I can understand why others didn't. There are TONS of plot holes and unanswered questions. Still, it's visually stunning and the cast was fantastic.

As for the Alien series, I loved Alien 1 & 2... I haven't seen the sequels yet, but I do own them because I bought the quadrilogy boxed set. From what I've heard though, I might need the aid of alcohol to get through 3 and 4.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 5,767
    Samuel001 wrote:
    From where do you gather that? The script drafts that were referred to in internet discussions seemed to be much weirder and further removed from Alien than the final film. And I can´t recall Scott ever clearly saying he was gonna make a prequel to Alien.
    jackdagger wrote:
    I liked the movie a lot, but I can understand why others didn't. There are TONS of plot holes and unanswered questions. Still, it's visually stunning and the cast was fantastic.
    Unanswered questions - for sure. But plotholes? Where are those tons of them?

I think what @Samuel001 is referring to is the original screenplay by Spaihts who has said he thought what got him the job in the first place was pitching the idea of the heroine getting impregnated by a facehugger/alien and then surviving it via a medical process. He says: “That is the thing I miss most. David deliberately exposing our heroine to a facehugger, and her knowing, having seen what happened to her lover that she had hours to bloodily and painfully save herself.”

I don't quite understand the reasons why Scott decided to change the "Alien" connection but I still enjoyed it despite the tweaks from Damon Lindelof and hope the sequel comes sooner rather than later.
  • @boldfinger: I'd need to watch the movie again, but I thought there were quite a few. Maybe they would be better catagorized as unanswered questions.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 55
    boldfinger wrote:
    Unanswered questions - for sure. But plotholes? Where are those tons of them?

Well, people have complained about things like Noomi Rapace running around like an action hero immediately after giving herself a C-section, and the fact that the various scientists' jobs seem really ill-defined (IIRC, archaeologist Rapace is helping to dissect the Engineer's head at one point)...and for some reason there are no military or security personnel to protect the scientists in this potentially hostile, totally alien environment. I wouldn't exactly call any of these things "plot holes," so much as "genre tropes"...the type of logical flaws that we generally expect from big-budget action flicks.

I personally enjoyed the film very much (although I lowered my expectations substantially a week or two before I saw it, when the reviews prepared me for the fact that this wasn't going to be a masterpiece on the level of the first ALIEN). For me, PROMETHEUS is more or less on par with Cameron's ALIENS - a solid action flick with some great effects, and (in the case of PROMETHEUS) some cool philosophical underpinnings.
    Well, people have complained about things like Noomi Rapace running around like an action hero immediately after giving herself a C-section,
    Considering the speed and accuracy with which the machine goes through the motions of the C-section, and considering that some device is used to stop the bleeding during the operation, it is more than unsurprising that they also have anaesthetics strong enough to have Rapace run around shortly after.
    and the fact that the various scientists' jobs seem really ill-defined (IIRC, archaeologist Rapace is helping to dissect the Engineer's head at one point)
    Many people have more than one university degree, and she had the architect bug, so it makes sense that her curiosity would compel her to take part in the dissection of the head.
    ...and for some reason there are no military or security personnel to protect the scientists in this potentially hostile, totally alien environment.
    There are secutrity measures, but as the film itself points out early on through Rapace´s character, "this is a scientific exploration. No weapons!"
    I wouldn't exactly call any of these things "plot holes," so much as "genre tropes"...the type of logical flaws that we generally expect from big-budget action flicks.
    I agree and add that from a story-telling and dramatic point of view it might cause confusion if all those elements were strictly "logic". Let´s not forget that any story requires a certain degree of suspended reality.
    Transcendence scribe Jack Paglen is in negotiations to write the sequel to Fox and Ridley Scott's Prometheus. Prometheus, written by Jon Spaihts and Damon Lindelof, was one of the most highly anticipated films of 2012. It followed a group of scientists looking for the origins of the human race and opened in theaters in June 2012, going on to become the 15th highest grossing film of the year. It's earned $403.4 million at the worldwide box office to date.

Scott's Prometheus, loosely considered a prequel to 1979's Alien, starred Noomi Rapace and Michael Fassbender, who would likely return for the sequel. Scott will produce the sequel through his Scott Free banner.

Paglen's script for the sci-fi project Transcendence will be the directorial debut for Wally Pfister, Christopher Nolan's longtime cinematographer. The high-profile project starring Johnny Depp and Morgan Freeman is slated to hit theaters April 18, 2014. Paglen is repped by ICM Partners.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/prometheus-sequel-transcendence-writer-jack-570027
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I'm interested in seeing where they take this film. I hope the sequel can tie together the loose ends that will ultimately lead us back to Alien. Either way, if Prometheus is left without a sequel, I'll be angry.
    I hope so too, @DarthDimi. At least we now know that the studio is moving ahead with the project. My guess is that the story will involve new characters whilst jump cutting to Noomi Rapace and Michael Fassbender's progress to the Space Jockey's planet and what they find there.
    I'm hoping they get to the third film as well, which should tie the whole thing together.

Another 2015 film? My, that will be a big year.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    I'm interested in seeing where they take this film. I hope the sequel can tie together the loose ends that will ultimately lead us back to Alien. Either way, if Prometheus is left without a sequel, I'll be angry.
    Though the story doesn´t directly lead to the story of Alien, basically the origin of Alien is explained, so I´m not sure if that´s a path they should go down too far.
    On the other hand, the tension between the female lead and the robot, and also the dichotomy between the motives of each of them, was never as intruiging as in Prometheus. And the end of the film has the two of them go on a journey into the unknown together. That is pretty promising, both action-wise as well as philosophically.

Theoretically, the next film could be Dr. Shaw and a repaired robot fighting it out on a huge alien space ship. But I guess that wouldn´t be mainstream enough ;-).

There's another thread with the exact same title:

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/2151/prometheus-2012

How did this happen? Can they be merged?
    edited August 2013 Posts: 23,564
    Did I hear this right? Did David say that they had already been on the mission for 2 years, 4 months, 18 days, 36 hours, 15 minutes? If so, David needs to go back to robot school.
    Another thread on the same topic here:

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/1960/prometheus-2012

Can they be merged?
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Did I hear this right? Did David say that they had already been on the mission for 2 years, 4 months, 18 days, 36 hours, 15 minutes? If so, David needs to go back to robot school.

It was 'deliberate,' to show off 'twitchy programming,' apparently, and he isn't as up-to-date as Ash is in 'Alien.'

http://whatculture.com/film/prometheus-writer-jon-spaihts-confirms-36-hours-plot-hole-was-deliberate.php
    edited August 2013 Posts: 23,564
    @Creasy47, a man I can always count on. ;-) Thank you, sir! I really was about to lo(o)se it. :)
    edited August 2013 Posts: 40,492
    @DarthDimi, anytime! ;) It bothered me as well, glad a fan got in contact with a screenwriter and sorted it out.

Though to me, I don't think it was deliberate at all. I'm sure nobody noticed, a fan proposed the question, and then they thought, "Umm...he's not that up-to-date?...yeah!"

Just like the question of why JGL is right-handed and Bruce Willis is left-handed in 'Looper.' The director stated that the character is ambidextrous. Makes sense? Yes. Possibly a quick explanation so it doesn't look like a plot-hole? Of course.
    News on the sequel to Prometheus:

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=40553
    I figured Ridley Scott's 'mystery' project would be 'Prometheus 2.' I thought the first was pretty entertaining, looking forward to seeing the second. I wonder what they'll do given the ending of the first.
    A number of Fassbenders
    sounds good from an audience´s point of view, but would indicate that the film does not concentrate on the continuing journey of Dr. Shaw and David.
    boldfinger wrote:
    A number of Fassbenders
    sounds good from an audience´s point of view, but would indicate that the film does not concentrate on the continuing journey of Dr. Shaw and David.

I don't see the film solely relying on Shaw and David, so I wonder if another ship with different soldiers/scientists will come in to up the inevitable kill count.