Adele - 'Skyfall' title song discussion

Comments

• MartinBondMartinBond Trying not to muck it up again
    "we will stand tall"

Actually I'm more standing still as my second train is also delayed...
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 144
    Just heard it on the radio!! I'm old school like that... It is fantastic. So perfect for the year that is in it. It harps back to the big band Bassey days and that tune is a winner! My wife screamed her head off to me, '' Honey, get out here quick, they're playing the Bond song''!!
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    MartinBond wrote:
    "we will stand tall"

Actually I'm more standing still as my second train is also delayed...

:))
  • I'm very impressed. I was so against Adele singing the theme a year ago, but after listening to the full song I am so glad they chose her.

It gave me goosebumps, it just sounds like a pure unmistakable Bond song. Even the lyrics we Bondish and went back to the Bassey style songs (after all DSB did sing about Moonraker and Goldfinger - and they're classics). I just love it - can't wait to see it in full effect on 25th October at the Charity Premiere!
    Well I listen & I like it & it brilliant & Excellent
  • Hi guys, I managed to capture this screenshot of the Adele count down from her website 7 seconds before it went live. Anything for a 007 reference!

Please feel free to use

8056220859_1009567b4f_m.jpg
  • Well, I don't share the enthusiasm !

I'm very disappointed by this song on two levels :

- first, I much prefer other Adele songs
    - second, this song is for me too sad and romantic and not bondian enough. We only get the Bond Theme at the middle of the song and there is nothing epic about either the music or the lyrics ... No change of rythm, too long and monotonous.

The introduction is also too low and too long ... I heard it first on the radio this morning and at first all I heard was ... nothing. I had to crank up the volume to get these first piano notes.

Very disappointed :-(
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 136
    I like it. Not wild about it yet..it's quite dark in a way and yes a bit trad - I suspect this will play a lot better in context with the movie. Interested to see how the mood ties in.

Also - is this being released as a CD single? Hate to be old-fashioned but I like a hard copy.

Failing that, will it be on the soundtrack album or will we have another CR album scenario which didn't feature the song?

If it's on the soundtrack I'll wait for that to get a copy.
    I too am a fan of the hard copy... fingers crossed...
  • doubleonothingdoubleonothing Los Angeles Moderator
    Hi guys, I managed to capture this screenshot of the Adele count down from her website 7 seconds before it went live. Anything for a 007 reference!

Please feel free to use

8056220859_1009567b4f_m.jpg

Nice capture, mate! Very Bondian.

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    Tounet77 wrote:
    ..too long and monotonous.

you do realize that the song will be cut down for the film right?... i think every title song since "A View To A Kill" has been cut down for use in it's respected movie... don't expect to sit through all 4 minutes of the song in theaters..

• RC7RC7
    Tounet77 wrote:
    for me too sad and romantic and not bondian enough.

Really? Everyone's entitled to their opinion but 'not Bondian'. I would have said if anything it's too Bondian!

I think it's a decent effort. Nothing to be ashamed of, but I highly doubt that when the dust settles in a year or so that this will be regarded as a true classic. It is not one that's going to played on a loop at B&Q or endlessly covered by nightclub singers, which is after all the mark of a great Bond song. YKMN is better IMO and not sure even that really has classic status.
  • doubleonothingdoubleonothing Los Angeles Moderator
    Still rather like the Muse song. Two for the price of, ah, two. But you know what I mean.
    When is the official video due?
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited October 2012 Posts: 4,399
    Getafix wrote:
    I think it's a decent effort. Nothing to be ashamed of, but I highly doubt that when the dust settles in a year or so that this will be regarded as a true classic. It is not one that's going to played on a loop at B&Q or endlessly covered by nightclub singers, which is after all the mark of a great Bond song. YKMN is better IMO and not sure even that really has classic status.

bit of a difference there though...

your talking about some songs that have had 30-40 years of history attached to them.... this song has only been around for less than 1 day.

• edited October 2012 Posts: 11,425
    HASEROT wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

bit of a difference there though...

your talking about some songs that have had 30-40 years of history attached to them.... this song has only been around for less than 1 day.

Perhaps. But do not think people heard GF and DAF and knew they were going to be classics?

I know some people are getting the goosebumps but I just don't hear it/feel it.

I'm not slating it. I quite like it. Just not blown away, that's all.

Any way, when do we get a video?
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 824
    John Barry showing how it should be done- and this one was rejected because it didn't include the film's title!

• I did like the song but its a bit too repetative. I did expect a bit better to be onist. Still, it beats anohter way to die.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 824
    Is that the measure of a good Bond song, it's better than 'Another Way To Die?'. A pretty low bar ;)
  • I think its better than most bond songs, but i was just hping for something better than the qos one, thats good enoguh for me. But the Skyfall theme is a tad repetative. Seems a bit bland. I throught Paul would have made it a bit more exciting. Still good though. Like most of the reviews say, its very anticlimax
  • A pastiche of a Barry Bond song because it's safe and there is a complete lack of good, new ideas.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 11,425
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 418
    I've lost count how many times i've listened to it. I love the song, and i'm happy that all 3 of Craig's movies have different style Bond theme's - I also love YKMN, but happy to take a little break from that style for a movie or two. I cant stand AWTD, so happy to take a permenent break from 'that style'. We were overdue a classic ballad, and it just feels right to me, being the 50th Anniversay..I'm more than happy with this song, and everything else regarding Skyfall..
    I've listened to it many times and definitely like it but I will always think that it could have been improved on a bit.
    Not a classic, but much better than Another Way to Die, or Die Another Day. I will listen to it quite a lot.
    Lazy composition, inane lyrics, Adele's irritating diction ("...zat Skyfall.."?) and rather nasal, ponderous delivery. And yet, about half way through I felt as though I was about to sit through two hours of thrilling Bond. A couple of minutes later, unfortunately, it just repeated itself too often and I was glad to get back to work.