Could Pierce Brosnan feasibly come back to do a Bond after Craig leaves?

Comments

• My daily wise ass comments complete me Sir Henry, it's who I am! ;)

The Kaufman scene is brilliant. My favourite bit from TND.

How do I define greatest hits as original? Well it's pretty simple really, I don't think he was greatest hits. I think he took some stuff from past Bonds (Connery's charm, Moore's humour), and added in a bit of a Dalton style darker side underneath it all to make something new.

I think Craig is doing something similar, mixing up elements of past Bonds to make something new. He's got Daltons darkness, Lazenby's fighting skills and a bit of Connerys charm.
  • My daily wise ass comments complete me Sir Henry, it's who I am! ;)

The Kaufman scene is brilliant. My favourite bit from TND.

How do I define greatest hits as original? Well it's pretty simple really, I don't think he was greatest hits. I think he took some stuff from past Bonds (Connery's charm, Moore's humour), and added in a bit of a Dalton style darker side underneath it all to make something new.

I think Craig is doing something similar, mixing up elements of past Bonds to make something new. He's got Daltons darkness, Lazenby's fighting skills and a bit of Connerys charm.

That's why "I love you man" ;) :D

I agree that both DC and Pierce have borrowed. Let me clarify this a little bit. Craig has been way more original at doing it and making it appear to be a fresher take. He's English too and doesn't sound like an Irishman who's been living in America too long. Back to the scripts, they sure didn't leave Brosnan a lot of room to do what hasn't been done before, but I'll still say that Craig is a much better actor and would have insisted right from the beginning on a certain amount of creative control that would have made a much bigger difference. Like I've said, I'm waiting for SF to venture further opinion about this era of Craig.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    The English factor seems to be something that passes Brozzer fans by, Lazenby sounds more English at times than Pierce with his transatlantic drawl.

Craig is an infinitely better actor than Brosnan and that is why he has been trusted with much more and had far more input into the role, with Pierce EON knew they had an adequate actor who was unlikely to be want to be challenged and easily controlled, it's clear from the films he appeared in that Brozzer had no great problem with spouting that awful dialogue and playing Bond the way he did, I just don't believe he wanted to play the role any differently and if he's returned if CR had bombed we have just seen the same old Pierce playing the role again.

Lets face it he was utter rubbish in the role and anyone who thinks he is the best is utterly deluded, I'm not joking!
  • SmithersSmithers Bandit Country
    I like Brosnan as an actor, but as most of us have spotted here, no he shouldn't come back. He is ancient history and has added a few too many pounds around his midrift to make it work. He is almost getting to the age he could play M!
    No once DC has hung up his Walther then it will be time to reinvent again, but hopefully like the creators of Doctor Who they will be on a role and keep the momentum going.
  • 'Morning @Smithers- how's the arm?'
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    It won't happen.

a) Brosnan is 59. At this point, he's already older than Moore was in AVTAK. He'd be about 61 - 62 when they begin shooting Bond 24.

b) Brosnan isn't the 'magic Bond' they would desperately want back. Craig seems to have gained more popularity than Brosnan. Unlike in '71, when they desperately needed Sean Connery back to restore what was wrongfully conceived the mistake of casting someone else, bringing back Brosnan after Craig's tenure wouldn't quite be trading up. (Note: personally I don't think they traded up in '71 either... ;-))

c) Every man, no matter how good a Bond he seems, grows out of being James Bond at one point. Brosnan, for me, grew out of being Bond a few years after DAD. Dalton, by comparison, still seemed fit for the part several more years since his last Bond film. Currently, however, Brosnan is a former Bond.
  • SmithersSmithers Bandit Country
    'Morning @Smithers- how's the arm?'

Coming along nicely thank you sir!
    Smithers wrote:
    'Morning @Smithers- how's the arm?'

Coming along nicely thank you sir!

• edited October 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Samuel001 wrote:
    I don't blame Brosnan. If you were him wouldn't you have slagged of EON? I think he's being really forgiving about it, doing that documentary this year, etc.

He may have wanted to but shouldn't have. The fact he was still trying to do a fifth film in October 2005 meant all his chances had gone due to what he said in the heat of the moment.

He did at the time, say he had no regrets, as that would be foolish. It doesn't surprise me he's taking part in the documentary. Time has healed him, somewhat.

Brosnan may not look back on his time as Bond with the most fondness and I'm sure he has regrets about what he could or should have done with the role. BUT there's one scene he should be proud of and that's the final few moments he has with Desmond Llewelyn in TWINE. I always felt those two got on quite well together and in TWINE he (Brosnan) almost looks like a middle aged son with his elderly father. The way he says "you're not retiring anytime soon?...are you?" is touching and he looks genuinely worried at that possibility. The smile he gives to Desmond as he goes down into the floor is very nice and a great way for a much loved character to make his exit from the series.

I actually remember sitting in the cinema in 1999 (a few weeks before Desmond died) thinking to myself "is he leaving?"
  • Being quick, there is little to no chance that Brosnan could feasibly return again when Craig steps down, we don't even know quite when that will be, apart from speculation. He looked out of sorts in 2002 for his last appearance, so therefore are we to assume that the Irishman could once again play 007 fourteen or so years further in time when Craig leaves or even after that? It's not going to happen - can't happen
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Shardlake wrote:
    I just don't believe he wanted to play the role any differently

Hmmm, who should I believe. Somebody who hates the man, who says he didn't want to play the role differently, or Brosnan himself, who has said in interviews he did. Tough choice :P
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Shardlake wrote:

Hmmm, who should I believe. Somebody who hates the man, who says he didn't want to play the role differently, or Brosnan himself, who has said in interviews he did. Tough choice :P

Oh you are so funny, I think the evidence is up on screen, he made 4 films with no progression at all, I suggest you believe the evidence on the screen instead of trying to invent something that didn't happen, he can say all he wants in interviews but I know what I saw with my eyes and others did.
    Shardlake wrote:
    Shardlake wrote:

Oh you are so funny, I think the evidence is up on screen, he made 4 films with no progression at all, I suggest you believe the evidence on the screen instead of trying to invent something that didn't happen, he can say all he wants in interviews but I know what I saw with my eyes and others did.

Exactly. It's ridiculous that Brosnan claims he wanted to play it differently when he had 4 cracks and produced utter rubbish every time. The fact is the man wasn't up to the task. He might look back at the films now and think, 'god, that's awful, I wish I'd done that differently'. I agree with him. But the fact is he didn't do it when he had the chance. And however much he goes on about how he'd like to have done things differently the questions remains, did he actually have the acting ability to play it differently? The evidence is right in front of us - 4 dud films, with 4 bad performances. It tells us all we need to know. Brosnan was miscast. Badly. He might love Bond as much as the rest of us and I don't begrudge him for taking the role, but his tenure was a disaster.
    Getafix wrote:
    Oh you are so funny, I think the evidence is up on screen, he made 4 films with no progression at all, I
    Getafix wrote:
    he goes on about how he'd like to have done things differently the questions remains, did he actually have the acting ability to play it differently? .

I don't think he portrayed him badly - just adequately. He got the job done no more. His predecessor and successor loked at the script, worked out the motivation, worked out the subtext and adjusted their performances accordingly. They took it to a whole new level. They added to the role things which wern't there before.

Brozz was a TV actor with a forte for light comedy. He wasn't bad - just limited.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 11,189
    That's a fairer assessment @actonsteve. True Brozza wasn't the greatest of actors and there were some misteps in his performances but he had his moments.

I for one don't see anything majorly wrong with his performance here for example. He does well. You can see Bond's nervous but trying to keep calm. I love the look he gives just before he shoots Kaulfman too.

As I also said on another thread I think he plays his last few moments with Desmond in TWINE perfectly. There's a real...ahem...Bond.... between him and DL.
    brosnanfat.jpg

Daniel. what do you think about this guy taking back Bond after you????

daniel-craig-bulge-grab.jpg
  • Brosnan will not play Bond again - pretty much a fact, as we've concluded in this thread - BUT Brosnan is an actor, if he was paid enough money he would get in shape, OK he wouldn't be as ripped as Craig has become lol Brosnan has and never will be any Bronson! But he could slim down and gain muscle for the role, or any role if paid enough or if Brosnan had the inclination - I think he has probably got to an age and stage in his career when he feels he doesn't have to keep especially in shape.
    I do look back at TND and DAD and cringe at how bad they are compared to Craig's Bonds - even QOS - but at the time I remember watching the Brosnan films with my late-dad and thinking Brosnan's Bond films were the best things ever - it's only when DAD came along I distinctly thinking it was rubbish.
    He maybe out of shape, but women still find Brosnan attractive - and the guys still in glossy magazine ads and he cuts a stylish figure on a red carpet.

http://www.celebitchy.com/category/pierce_brosnan/
    http://silverfoxes.provocateuse.com/show/pierce_brosnan/02
    http://silverfoxes.provocateuse.com/show/pierce_brosnan/01
  • BTW is there a thread already established where we can speculate who could be the next Bond after Craig steps down - e.g. Tom Hardy, Michael Fassbender etc
  • ^True, but this is strictly about the idea of Brosnan returning, like Connery in Diamonds are Forever
  • lewisblake wrote:
    Brosnan will not play Bond again - pretty much a fact, as we've concluded in this thread - BUT Brosnan is an actor, if he was paid enough money he would get in shape, OK he wouldn't be as ripped as Craig has become lol Brosnan has and never will be any Bronson! But he could slim down and gain muscle for the role, or any role if paid enough or if Brosnan had the inclination - I think he has probably got to an age and stage in his career when he feels he doesn't have to keep especially in shape.

Yet for DAD, when he was paid the most money for the role, he didn't get himself in shape. And the film says that Bond was stuck in prison for 14 months! Completely blows the illusion when you see that Brosnan was heavier than he had ever been...

I agree with what was said above - Brosnan's not a bad actor, just a limited one.

• yes I agree - Brosnan went into a lapse of complacency as he seemed to think he was implacably cool as Bond in DAD - he was unfit as Connery kind of was in his later EON produced Bond films.
    But Craig has set a precedent for how Bond looks in this era of Bond movies - and actors like, say, Tom Hardy, show that you can get the right personal trainer to get into any shape you want within reason. - Of course this is still pie in the sky as Brosnan won't play Bond again, he'd have to be paid a large amount I think and he'd need a year to get into the shape needed.
    http://www.digitalspy.com.au/movies/news/a381863/dominic-cooper-pierce-brosnan-star-in-november-man.html

honestly i wouldnt count Brosnan out yet...he can get fit if he wanted to and i still believe with enough training and hair products Brosnan could be back as Bond (or in a rival spy film like Sean did with NSNA)
  • haha well like I said earlier in the thread - I would personally love a rogue Bond movie - or even separate Eon produced Bond movies that come out the same year in competition.
    Nolan with Tom Hardy as Bond - Tarantino making a gritty older Bond movie with Brosnan, and Mendes continuing on and making a great Bond film with Craig to rival Skyfall.
    Of course this is all - what some would call 'fanwankery' lol and will never happen. EON have never taken Never Say Never Again under their wing into the full franchise and have only grudgingly turned to distributing the film cheaply so a rogue Bond movie would not be on the cards in the coming decades in my opionion.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 12,837
    As cool as Brosnan was, I think if they ever did a film about an older Bond, they should bring back Dalton.
    Bring back Dalts!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Getafix wrote:
    Bring back Dalts!
    Getafix wrote:
    Bring back Dalts!

You already said that...
  • Getafix wrote:
    Bring back Dalts!

I don't care how old he is (and he looks great), it would be awesome!!!!
    I want Dalton to be the next Liam Neeson.
    I'm just watching the stairway fight in CR. I'd like to see Craig and Liam go head to head. That would be brutal!
    Getafix wrote:
    Bring back Dalts!
    Getafix wrote:
    Bring back Dalts!

You already said that...

It bears repeating.