The James Bond Debate Thread - 336 Craig looks positively younger in SP than he does in SF.

Comments

• William Randolph Hearst was the prototype of Murdoch, Ted Turner, Elliot Carver. Like I said, it really isn't a 90's thing. Hearst was, for you heads out there, responsible for initially getting plants of the hemp family made illegal. He wasn't thinking about pot at the time, he was thinking about his extensive logging interests and hemp was a lot cheaper to process and quality paper can be made from it. Just saying.
  • Last one for this night, and I think thesis seems accurate. Actual media references were made in Tommorow Never Dies by Pryce himself. Such was the time of the mid to late 1990s, it seems a blatant acknowledgement to journalistic endeavors. Thesis is quite accurate once again for me

Goodnight
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited September 2012 Posts: 23,614
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 162</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>Casting Cec Linder as Leiter was partially meant to assure Connery's position as the alpha male in GF.</b></font>
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Disagree. Connery is ALWAYS the alpha male. This thesis is flawed.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 3,494
    DarthDimi wrote:

<font color=blue size=7><b>Casting Cec Linder as Leiter was partially meant to assure Connery's position as the alpha male in GF.</b></font>

Also disagree. They had Oddjob and that skews any try to make Connery the alpha short of wits. Sending Linder out in a full suit in Miami was enough right there to assure the audience Jack Lord he wasn't ;)
  • I don't think this is necessarily true. Because by that rationale, Rick Van Nutter is more in the Jack Lord vain as well. I have no idea the reasons behing Linder's casting, but I don't think this has anything to do with it. Connery was a in a league all his own by this point.
    DarthDimi wrote:

Disagree also, It's quite apparent that Connery is the main man regardless who he worked with.
    edited September 2012 Posts: 23,614
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 163</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>Brosnan's Bonds have more to say about their contemporary evils than the Connery Bonds.</b></font>
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 12,506
    DarthDimi wrote:

<font color=blue size=7><b>Brosnan's Bonds have more to say about their contemporary evils than the Connery Bonds.</b></font>

Agree. Assuming we are talking about modern day life at time of filming?
    Indeed, sir, we are. :-)
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Thesis 162 - Disagree. Just by the way Connery's Bond spoke to Leiter in Dr. No (not to mention Quarrel) already proved he was the alpha male.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I don't think I understand the new thesis @Dimi... :-/
  • Thesis 160:

Agree. I'm a woman and I don't have a problem with Bond sleeping around. It's just entertainment. The only time I had a problem was with Dalton flirting with the girls in the car during The Living Daylights and that was only because it didn't seem to suit him.

Thesis 161:

I never thought of it that way, but I guess I agree. I know when I first watched the movie, I found Carver's actions to be pretty implausible.

Thesis 162:

Disagree. Connery was still obviously the Alpha male. We still knew that when Jack Lord was Leiter.

Brosnan's films dealt with issues straight from the news, whereas Connery's didn't pull news headlines into the scripts all that much.
    DarthDimi wrote:

Brosnan's films dealt with issues straight from the news, whereas Connery's didn't pull news headlines into the scripts all that much.
    Oh, I see. Well, Brosnan's films dealt with two countries almost going to war with the other, and there is the whole Carver characterization matching men of his time, but the Connery films had that great Cold War feeling going for them. I guess I would agree though, as Brosnan era's were more founded in reality.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Brosnan didn't use of Fleming stories. That may be why.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Brosnan didn't use of Fleming stories. That may be why.

Well, his films didn't occur during the real life Cold War either.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    DarthDimi wrote:

Agree.

• Agree. Some of Brosnans films (TWINE oil, TND media), are still relevant today.
    Agree. Some of Brosnans films (TWINE oil, TND media), are still relevant today.

Preachy is another way we could look at them? If I want a 'message' in my movie, I'll watch Philadelphia. Thank you so much.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    OddJaws wrote:

Preachy is another way we could look at them? If I want a 'message' in my movie, I'll watch Philadelphia. Thank you so much.

Preachy would be too strong a word. They don't really preach anything, they just use themes and topics as the basis for their storylines.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 3,494
    DarthDimi wrote:

Yes, but in 1964 the President said he was entirely satisfied ;)

Considering the Cold War plots of the Fleming/Connery era, they were as relevant as the newer themes. so disagree with thesis.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Agree with the thesis; Brosnan's just has more related to the actual real life timeline during his films.
  • Agree on thesis 163. TND and DAD are prime examples of that.
  • OddJaws wrote:

Brosnans Bond films are hardly preachy though. They just sometimes use real world stuff in their stories.
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 164</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>Had MR been filmed in the 60's, it most likely would have been truer to the novel.</b></font>
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    DarthDimi wrote:
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 164</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>Had MR been filmed in the 60's, it most likely would have been truer to the novel.</b></font>

I agree to this. I would imagine it would visually look like a blend between OHMSS and YOLT with a splash of Dr. No. and Drax would probably be played by Orson Wells.
  • Totally agree-- the only reason it was the way it was is because of Star Wars
    Agree. No Star Wars in the 60s. At least we would have a good film, and not a cheap cash-in.
  • At least we would have a good film

Up until Rio, I'd say MR is a good film.

So many great moments. Most of the PTS, Bond shooting the sniper, the bit on the spinny simulator thing, the fight with Chang, etc.

The only bad things before the film gets to Brazil are Jaws falling into the tent and the gondola chase.