The James Bond Debate Thread - 336 Craig looks positively younger in SP than he does in SF.

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 158</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>Maud Adams had improved on her acting when she did OP compared to TMWTGG.</b></font>
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    The bigger role certainly gave that impression to me. I think I would agree though I'm not sure and would need to see more of her other work to properly judge before answering.
  • DarthDimi wrote:

<font color=blue size=7><b>Maud Adams had improved on her acting when she did OP compared to TMWTGG.</b></font>

Agree with thesis. It would be normal after 9 years for someone working hard at their craft to have improved, and she did. I think Maud looked better too.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 1,817
    Don't agree. Her acting is great in both, however the script and her lines well better written in OP.
    Very fine actress. I would say she's the Moore Bond girl par excellence.
  • THESIS 158
    Disagree- I think talent wise, she was about the same. She just had more to do in Octopussy. I will add that she does suit Roger's Bond very well!
    DarthDimi wrote:

Agree to a point as really her part in TMWTGG was far smaller than in OP.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    edited September 2012 Posts: 3,262
    DarthDimi wrote:

Agreed. I've always found her rather wooden during the scene in TMWTGG where Bond interrogates her though it is one of Moore's best scenes in the role. By the time of OP, she's much more relaxed, confident and natural. The chemistry between her and Moore is outstanding and she's the leading lady who suited his Bond best IMHO.

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Agreed, I know OP was a bigger role but still I think it was better played.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited September 2012 Posts: 9,117
    Agreed. I've always found her rather wooden during the scene in TMWTGG where Bond interrogates her

Just a bit!! 'Give me that' - awful and only excusable due to the shower scene before it.

Thesis most certainly proven.
    I partially agree. She did it better, but partially because of the role being more interesting to play.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    DarthDimi wrote:

An expanded role gave her more room to breathe with her character in OP, but being totally honest, I found her quite boring in both.
  • I agree with this. But again, she had a meatier role in Octopussy, and a little more to do dramatically. I never found her to be a particularly good actress, even though she was certainly stunning to look at. She also faired better in the latter film because she was paired off well with Moore as his leading lady. Being that she was the closest to his age, that certainly helped in their chemistry.
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 159</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>It made no sense for the DAF Felix to be still working for the CIA when helping Bond in the US.</b></font>
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I don't understand the thesis. You mean it makes no sense for Felix to be helping Bond in the US where he has no jurisdiction??
    I don't understand the thesis. You mean it makes no sense for Felix to be helping Bond in the US where he has no jurisdiction??

Indeed.

In the novel, Felix is a man with connections and thus he can help Bond. But isn't the CIA supposed to keep its business in foreign territories?

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    DarthDimi wrote:

Indeed.

In the novel, Felix is a man with connections and thus he can help Bond. But isn't the CIA supposed to keep its business in foreign territories?
    Exactly, but more than 80% of agents are in the US instead of abroad. Anyway, I guess if we apply the logic, I would agree. But it is 70s super camp Bond, so you can't really rely on it anyway.
    Well even if the CIA has no jurisdiction that doesn't mean they don't have agents in the USA or working and spying in the USA. Plus if it made no sense in DAF it wouldn't either in Goldfinger, because in every scene Felix appears in Bond is already in the states, take Miami or Fort Knox... So disagree.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 299
    DarthDimi wrote:

Indeed.

I see your point, but I don't necessarily agree. As @0iker0 has pointed out, it wouldn't have made sense in Goldfinger either. And to that, I'll add Live And Let Die (in two cities, mind you). DAF has its fair share of problems, no arguments there. But I think this is truly one of the less offensive or important ones, at least compared to others. I don't believe the Bond films as a whole ever took every single element of international espionage and gave it a sacred treatment. It's just part of the style.
    0iker0 wrote:
    Well even if the CIA has no jurisdiction that doesn't mean they don't have agents in the USA or working and spying in the USA. Plus if it made no sense in DAF it wouldn't either in Goldfinger, because in every scene Felix appears in Bond is already in the states, take Miami or Fort Knox... So disagree.
    There is not supposed to be spying going on domestically. It is an agency with a purpose of sending out agents to foreign areas and getting information on what other groups are planning. That isn't to say that agents aren't stationed in the US, it is just that they should not be on assignment in their own country.
    A thesis i have no idea how to answer? :-?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    DarthDimi wrote:
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 159</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>It made no sense for the DAF Felix to be still working for the CIA when helping Bond in the US.</b></font>

"That's a nice way to handle the CIA @DarthDimi."
    The Department of Homeland Security likes to use the CIA, Secret Service, FBI, and even local law enforcement. Whatever is on hand, so it could have made sense... if the DoHS existed back then.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    The Department of Homeland Security likes to use the CIA, Secret Service, FBI, and even local law enforcement. Whatever is on hand, so it could have made sense... if the DoHS existed back then.
    It was formed in 2002.
    :P
  • Diamonds are Forever made no sense should be the bottom line. However I never really give it any thought when I can struggle through a watch whenever possible. I think it's within the boundaries of possibility isn't it. Silly film, plausible scenario. I'll say thesis is incorrect
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 5,745
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    It was formed in 2002.
    :P

Exactly why I originally said if it existed back then ;)
    Murdock wrote:
    "That's a nice way to handle the CIA @DarthDimi."

I gottha be careful not to end up on the FBI's 10 most wanted list now...

#:-S
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 160</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>The fact that Bond isn't monogamous in most films is part of the fun and shouldn't be taken too seriously.</b></font>
  • Agree. Bond getting laid every film, and with a different girl, is part of the reason he's popular. Men want to be him, women want to be with him, etc. It's just part of the character.

Sure he's had one or two serious relationships (Tracy and Vesper), but most of the time Bond is just shagging a different girl every film without really getting attatched to them, and that's fine.

Cmon, we all wish we got laid as much as Bond :D And we all wish we had his power of immunity to STDs too.
    Thesis 159: I'm not an expert in the CIA jurisdiction but we could say that the diamonds case was an internation operation so it deserved a pooled agencies effort. So disagree.
    Thesis 160: Of course! That's one of the main features that defines the character of Bond! Agree.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 160</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>The fact that Bond isn't monogamous in most films is part of the fun and shouldn't be taken too seriously.</b></font>

Fully agree with this thesis! We all know how Bond works and seeing as they have now been going 50 years? I do not think it bothers too many people? Besides? It is escapism movie making afterall!