The 'Die Another Day' Curse

Comments

• edited September 2012 Posts: 12,837
    @Getafix Well you needlessy bumped this thread because you put on a film you hated for no reason except to moan, and now we already have people on here telling us how much Brosnan/DAD suck. Again. Happy?

Cmon, I've defended you on here before but there was no reason for this apart from to moan and to get everybody else moaning.
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    I think EON, Babs and MGW learned a hard lesson. No more stupid gadgets, no stunt casting women, they won't do all those stupid references for the 50. they will simply turn out a Great film and one for the ages.
    They have a better actor, better women, a better villain, and a "real" director, not Tama-fuck face.

Tamahori has made some great films outside of Bond so I put lots of DADs problems down to the script.

Brosnan was one of DADs good points, so was Pike, so I don't get the better actor and better women thing (excluding Halle Berry).
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 140
    Funnily enough the one scene that really grates on me, in Die Another Day, happens at the end of the sword fight. Bond is about to leave and he is given a message (I think) from what can only be described as a refugee from Bob Marley and the Wailers.

This dreadlocked chap is so out of place, working in such an establishment that, for me, it is quiet a jolt.

It is blatant pandering to what the producers, I suppose, consider a cool, hip-hop, trendy market. Yikes.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 11,189
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    It crumbles from the moment they fire a bullet through the gun barrel. Not just the worst Bond movie ever. Possibly the worst film I have ever watched in a cinema.

You never went to the movies in 1997 then.

:)) :))

Hmm...what movie are you referring to??

Someone knows what I'm talking about. Congratulations on surviving, my fellow brother.

I still struggle. That movie gives me the chills everytime I think about it ;)
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    This is veering dangerously close to the edge. Please bring it back to having a point or it can be locked up.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 11,425
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    Just wasted twenty minutes watching the opening of DAD on ITV and reminding myself what utter crud it and Pierce's performance are. How anyone can watch that guy and take him seriously I do not know.

You deliberately watched a film you know you hate just so you can bitch about it on here. usual BS from you...as always (:| (:|

Well said Bain. I just watched the same 20 mins and its not great but not that bad either. I like bashing DAD as much as the next man but this does seem like moaning for moanings sake and treading over rather old ground without addi am genuiing anything new to the debate.

Was actually trying to give it and Brozza a second chance. I'd read so many posts claiming the first part of DAD was good and it was actually Brosnans best performance that I felt I should watch it again. But it is utterly awful, as is Brosnans acting. It might be going over old ground so is practically every thread on here. Even SF feels done to death.

And Bain there's only one person who looks fatter than Pierce in this film and it isn't your dad... It's (insert Purvis and Wade line here).
    @Getafix Well you needlessy bumped this thread because you put on a film you hated for no reason except to moan, and now we already have people on here telling us how much Brosnan/DAD suck. Again. Happy?

Cmon, I've defended you on here before but there was no reason for this apart from to moan and to get everybody else moaning.
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    I think EON, Babs and MGW learned a hard lesson. No more stupid gadgets, no stunt casting women, they won't do all those stupid references for the 50. they will simply turn out a Great film and one for the ages.
    They have a better actor, better women, a better villain, and a "real" director, not Tama-fuck face.

Tamahori has made some great films outside of Bond so I put lots of DADs problems down to the script.

Brosnan was one of DADs good points, so was Pike, so I don't get the better actor and better women thing (excluding Halle Berry).

What was needless about it? DAD was on the TV last night and I thought I should give it another chance. I saw it at the cinema almost decade ago and hadn't watched it since. But I had to turn it off after half an hour because it is so unremittingly poor. And yes I felt the need to express my feelings about it but I thought that was the point of this site. I did try and find a dedicated DAD review thread but this was as close as I could find.
    DAD is not as bad as QoS which was just a poor effort in script, editing, actionscenes and the end result overal.

Even Craig could not save that mess through his performance and due to his role in rewriting the script.
    Getafix wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    Just wasted twenty minutes watching the opening of DAD on ITV and reminding myself what utter crud it and Pierce's performance are. How anyone can watch that guy and take him seriously I do not know.

You deliberately watched a film you know you hate just so you can bitch about it on here. usual BS from you...as always (:| (:|

Well said Bain. I just watched the same 20 mins and its not great but not that bad either. I like bashing DAD as much as the next man but this does seem like moaning for moanings sake and treading over rather old ground without addi am genuiing anything new to the debate.

Was actually trying to give it and Brozza a second chance. I'd read so many posts claiming the first part of DAD was good and it was actually Brosnans best performance that I felt I should watch it again. But it is utterly awful, as is Brosnans acting. It might be going over old ground so is practically every thread on here. Even SF feels done to death.

And Bain there's only one person who looks fatter than Pierce in this film and it isn't your dad... It's (insert Purvis and Wade line here).

Don't kid yourself. We both know that was NEVER going to happen.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I feel like this thread was made to just put down DAD. I'm sorry but there is no need to talk about a nonexistent "curse" because of DAD. Now if there were bad Bond films for the 10th, 20th, and 30th anniversary I'd say there might be some kind anniversary "curse". But there isn't, thus making this thread pointless. DAD wasn't that bad of a film; it's not in my top 10 but it's not even in my bottom 3.
    I feel like this thread was made to just put down DAD. I'm sorry but there is no need to talk about a nonexistent "curse" because of DAD. Now if there were bad Bond films for the 10th, 20th, and 30th anniversary I'd say there might be some kind anniversary "curse". But there isn't, thus making this thread pointless. DAD wasn't that bad of a film; it's not in my top 10 but it's not even in my bottom 3.

Some folks will never be convinced and will take any chance to bash DAD or Brosnan. Now if you tried that with Craig or TDKR you would be considered a hater. :D

There has been taken considerable effort to be hurtfull and nasty to Pierce and his movies on this site, there has not been any balanced threads about either here for a long time. So go figure the use of visiting these threads since it is full of the usual suspects with nothing else than "sometimes creatively" insulting a generations 007. Mostly it is the same drivel based upon personal observations biased by a lack of knowledge, and youthfull lack of experience. O:-)

• Agreed, it's got nothing to do with a curse. It was merely a poor film release. Not just about Brosnan either, Connery had a couple of poor films, Moore himself, and even Craig has one to his name, so it's not just one specific actor anyone can berate for a bad James Bond release
    I refuse to believe that SF will be at DAD's level. I like to believe it will be at least on CR's level if not better/
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Ahh slagging off DAD - the gift that never stops giving.
    DAD wasn't that bad of a film; it's not in my top 10 but it's not even in my bottom 3.

You have seriously piqued my interest here. Just what constitutes your bottom 3 exactly then?
    dragonsky wrote:
    I refuse to believe that SF will be at DAD's level. I like to believe it will be at least on CR's level if not better/

I've seen enough on the trailer to say with 100% certainty that SF will be infinitely better than DAD. With the talent on board (that doesnt include you P&W) its simply impossible for it not to be.
    Getafix wrote:
    What was needless about it? DAD was on the TV last night and I thought I should give it another chance. I saw it at the cinema almost decade ago and hadn't watched it since. But I had to turn it off after half an hour because it is so unremittingly poor. And yes I felt the need to express my feelings about it but I thought that was the point of this site. I did try and find a dedicated DAD review thread but this was as close as I could find.

It was needless because we already know how you feel about DAD and you only bumped this thread to have a moan. I seriously doubt you were ever going to give it a fair chance.

There's a review section with a thread for every Bond film, you could've always posted it there.
    SaintMark wrote:
    Some folks will never be convinced and will take any chance to bash DAD or Brosnan. Now if you tried that with Craig or TDKR you would be considered a hater. :D

There has been taken considerable effort to be hurtfull and nasty to Pierce and his movies on this site, there has not been any balanced threads about either here for a long time. So go figure the use of visiting these threads since it is full of the usual suspects with nothing else than "sometimes creatively" insulting a generations 007. Mostly it is the same drivel based upon personal observations biased by a lack of knowledge, and youthfull lack of experience. O:-)

I agree with you. This thread is a great example. Scroll up and there's a guy calling Brosnan fat and too old. Nobody seems to care. Saying Moore was too old, Dalton had no charm, all this is fine apparently.

But if I went on another thread and started bashing Craig then we'd have a thread pop up about how the haters should go away.

I like all the Bonds, and I don't think any should get nasty comments. But it seems alot of the time there are things on this site that aren't allowed to be criticised while slagging off other stuff is fine.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 11,425
    Getafix wrote:

It was needless because we already know how you feel about DAD and you only bumped this thread to have a moan. I seriously doubt you were ever going to give it a fair chance.

There's a review section with a thread for every Bond film, you could've always posted it there.
    SaintMark wrote:

I agree with you. This thread is a great example. Scroll up and there's a guy calling Brosnan fat and too old. Nobody seems to care. Saying Moore was too old, Dalton had no charm, all this is fine apparently.

But if I went on another thread and started bashing Craig then we'd have a thread pop up about how the haters should go away.

I like all the Bonds, and I don't think any should get nasty comments. But it seems alot of the time there are things on this site that aren't allowed to be criticised while slagging off other stuff is fine.

I think if I feel the need to vent on something I feel strongly about I don't need your permission. If you don't like it, then don't read it and post a reply. This is not aimed at you, but those throwing insults and constantly shouting others down need take a deep breath, calm down a bit and accept that there are different opinions out there other than their own.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited September 2012 Posts: 13,896
    I'm surprised this discussion hasn't been locked. There is no 'Die Another Day Curse'. if Skyfall turns out to be a flop because of too many homages, too much cheese, or just too try-hard all because it's the anniversary- then this curse thing might hold some relevance. But from what we've seen, Skyfall will not suffer from any of this. At this point, the theory has no weight whatsoever- simple as that.
    @Getafix But we already know your opinion on it, that's the thing. Like people have said, it's treading over really old ground (but I'll be fair, you also had a point, so are most threads).

We all know DAD wasn't very good and we all know you don't like Brosnan. That's fine, you can like/dislike what you want, nothing wrong with giving out your opinion, but it's all the time with you. You're always on about how bad you think him and his films were.
    Look, the film was on the TV infront of me and I felt the need to comment. I think it's fair enough and not really a big deal. If others disagree that's fine but I'd prefer it if they did it without the insults.

If I understamd the thread coreectly, which I probably didn't to start with, it is obvious there is no DAD curse. SF is obviously going to be much, much better.
    Getafix wrote:
    SF is obviously going to be much, much better.

Lets cross our fingers and hope so, and I do not think it will be worse than the last 007 movie. Nothing can be that bad.............. O:-)

• The teaser for Skyfall is better than DAD altogether.
  • SaintMark wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

Lets cross our fingers and hope so, and I do not think it will be worse than the last 007 movie. Nothing can be that bad.............. O:-)

Can't argue with that.
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    The teaser for Skyfall is better than DAD altogether.

Anything is better than DAD. :-))
  • I actually watched this the other night, first time in a good few years, I must admit I enjoyed the first hour, the scenes with Bond being held prisoner and through to Cuba I thought were pretty good, the last hour or so was poor and my interest started to wain but I stuck with it through to the end. Also the wind surfing scene was bad but in my mind I had remembered it as the worst thing ever so it wasn't as terrible as my brain had made it to be.

I thing the poorest thing about the entire film is every scene where Bond has to speak to a woman, every line is a poorly written innuendo, particulary every scene with Jinx, just terrible, unnessary dialogue.
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    I actually watched this the other night, first time in a good few years, I must admit I enjoyed the first hour, the scenes with Bond being held prisoner and through to Cuba I thought were pretty good, the last hour or so was poor and my interest started to wain but I stuck with it through to the end. Also the wind surfing scene was bad but in my mind I had remembered it as the worst thing ever so it wasn't as terrible as my brain had made it to be.

I thing the poorest thing about the entire film is every scene where Bond has to speak to a woman, every line is a poorly written innuendo, particulary every scene with Jinx, just terrible, unnessary dialogue.

Every scene WITH Jinx is unneccessary.
    X3MSonicX wrote:
    The teaser for Skyfall is better than DAD altogether.

Anything is better than DAD. :-))

Nah. DAD isn't that bad, there's lots of good stuff. There are much worse films out there.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 3,494
    SaintMark wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

Sure there can. DAD. MR. TWINE. Can probably think of a few more. Craig hater ;) :D
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    edited September 2012 Posts: 1,812
    DAD wasn't that bad of a film; it's not in my top 10 but it's not even in my bottom 3.
    You have seriously piqued my interest here. Just what constitutes your bottom 3 exactly then?

20. Quantum of Solace (Still a decent film but it's poorly put together)
    21. A View to a Kill (Moore was too old and I didn't find the plot to be all that exciting)
    22. For Your Eyes Only (I find this to be the most boring and the ending to be anti-climactic)

I had to think about what I would place as my # 20, so I think QOS will move up in my ranking from time to time. AVTAK and FYEO will, most likely, remain at the bottom of my list. Despite some of the flaws DAD has, bad CGI and Jinx, it's still fun to watch.

• SaintMark wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

Sure there can. DAD. MR. TWINE. Can probably think of a few more. Craig hater ;) :D

Brosnan hater ;)

I think TWINE and the first halves of DAD and MR are pretty good.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 3,494
    SaintMark wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

Brosnan hater ;)

I think TWINE and the first halves of DAD and MR are pretty good.

Ha ha ha. You know I don't hate any Bond actor. There's always something good in every Bond film and every individual lead actor performance, it's just a question of what it was and how much quality and quantity. All three you mention have their moments like any Bond film, of course, but I happen to find more of them in QOS than I do in those three, hence why I prefer it. Some like it way more than I do, but then some concentrate way more on the negatives of it and seem to go out of their way not to acknowledge the good stuff. In short, those folks aren't very fair in their commentary. At least QOS has legitimate reasons that hindered the script and overall production. DAD had not two, but three years and every good reason to deliver a superior story and failed miserably in any comparison.

I see more positives in TWINE than MR and DAD. Those two start shooting themselves in the foot right from the start between Jaws and unrealistic stunt work, faking deaths, ugh. For every thing done right they do three things wrong. TWINE gets off to a great start, the best PTS in the Brosnan era for sure, but a lot of the script I find to be shoddily written and some questionable casting choices don't help.

As far as this "curse", I believe if there was one, Tamahori was it. Mendes is far too good to allow that mess to reoccur.

I am truly shocked to see FYEO at #22 from Q's Assistant. A Cold War throwback to the Connery days featuring Moore's best performance deserves better than to be ranked below half of the canon.

• I think P and W are the curse, not Tamahori.