The 'Die Another Day' Curse

Comments

• LudsLuds MIA
    X3MSonicX wrote:
    Well, back 10 years ago then, DAD was the movie of the 40's anniversary of Bond. So, this year, comes Skyfall, as the 50th's anniversary.
    at 40th's, DAD sucked and was considered worst Bond movie ever (as you guys says) and has the worst critics ever on 007 films.

So i ask you guys, may SF get that same curse? Could the movie suck as same as DAD, because of the anniversary's thing?

DAD sucked ass for many reasons. Firstly, Brosnan. The man just can't act. He's a poser, and at that age, way too fat. Secondly, the rest of the cast was horrible. Third, the script was just beyond ridiculous. Robocop? Really? Some bozo with diamonds "stuck" in his face? A super agent that made Barbara Bach's performance look good? And never mind Lee Tama-whore-i.

Looking at skyfall, we've got a great actor in Craig, a tremendous cast, and a solid director. I really can't see how this flick can be as bad as any of Brosnan's flicks.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    X3MSonicX wrote:
    Not a curse with Die Another Day, it was simply a crap James Bond film, with wrong director, wrong Bond

I stopped reading there... Brosnan was not a "wrong Bond". The MOVIE was wrong.

Spot on; the movie was the problem.

• LudsLuds MIA
    X3MSonicX wrote:
    Not a curse with Die Another Day, it was simply a crap James Bond film, with wrong director, wrong Bond

I stopped reading there... Brosnan was not a "wrong Bond". The MOVIE was wrong.

Spot on; the movie was the problem.

The movie was the problem certainly, as we've known Brosnan to be a problem since his flist ;)
    Just wasted twenty minutes watching the opening of DAD on ITV and reminding myself what utter crud it and Pierce's performance are. How anyone can watch that guy and take him seriously I do not know.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Getafix wrote:
    Just wasted twenty minutes watching the opening of DAD on ITV and reminding myself what utter crud it and Pierce's performance are. How anyone can watch that guy and take him seriously I do not know.
    That's some of the better stuff, before it crumbles.
    It crumbles from the moment they fire a bullet through the gun barrel. Not just the worst Bond movie ever. Possibly the worst film I have ever watched in a cinema.
  • Worst film I ever watched in a cinema was Pirahna 3dd.

The CGI bullet was only as bad as moving the gunbarrel to the middle or the end.

People complain that it didn't make sense but none of the gunbarrels do. For SF though, I want a classic gunbarrel, no more stupid changes.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Getafix wrote:
    It crumbles from the moment they fire a bullet through the gun barrel. Not just the worst Bond movie ever. Possibly the worst film I have ever watched in a cinema.

You never went to the movies in 1997 then.
    Getafix wrote:

You deliberately watched a film you know you hate just so you can bitch about it on here. usual BS from you...as always (:| (:|
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 12,837
    If anybody in the UK is intrested, the fencing bit of DAD is on now and Madonnas cameo just finished, so you can enjoy the fight without having to sit through that. Your welcome :)
    Luds wrote:
    Firstly, Brosnan. The man just can't act. He's a poser, and at that age, way too fat.

Sorry, watching DAD now and can't disagree more. He's one of the good things about the film, isn't fat at all (not every Bond has to be as buff as Craig, he wasn't in the books), and since he dyed his hair his age doesn't show.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

You deliberately watched a film you know you hate just so you can bitch about it on here. usual BS from you...as always (:| (:|

Well said Bain. I just watched the same 20 mins and its not great but not that bad either. I like bashing DAD as much as the next man but this does seem like moaning for moanings sake and treading over rather old ground without adding anything new to the debate.
    If anybody in the UK is intrested, the fencing bit of DAD is on now and Madonnas cameo just finished, so you can enjoy the fight without having to sit through that. Your welcome :)

I'm going to give it a miss thanks. I like that fencing scene but got better things to do with my time...like sleep.
    BAIN123 wrote:

I'm going to give it a miss thanks. I like that fencing scene but got better things to do with my time...like sleep.

When you posted that the fight had just finished, so you missed it anyway ;)
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 11,189
    BAIN123 wrote:

When you posted that the fight had just finished, so you missed it anyway ;)

It's a good scene but if I wanted to I could pop in my dvd/blu-ray right now and re-watch it...which I won't :p
    Q scene now, another good scene.

I really think some of DAD is up there with the best stuff in the series. It's the Iceland scenes and the finale that let it down. But even the Iceland scenes have the Ice Palace, which I think is the best set since the MR space station.
    Luds wrote:
    Firstly, Brosnan. The man just can't act. He's a poser, and at that age, way too fat.

No offence but I've seen fatter people at that age...like my dad (who I love dearly). For the record Brosnan had a bigger more noticable gut in Mamma Mia.
    Still watching DAD, Icarus is about to be unveiled. May as well stop watching now, good stuff is over and it's all downhill from here.
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    only DAD's scene that's worth, is the one that Bond gets the case and the glasses from the commander.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Getafix wrote:

Quite easily, because he's actually quite good. A little beacon of light in an otherwise dark entry.

Getafix wrote:

You need to go to the cinema more often.
    Take away the invisible car shambles and it's not completely terrible for me. Just bad. Not terrible.
    Skyfall will be way better. No doubt in my mind.
    The writers should of been sacked after the release of this movie.
  • Is it time for another Die Another Day berating ?, missed this the last few months or however long it's been

This was the first Bond movie to feature a different gun barrel opening, after that they got worse, being in the wrong place above all else. When was the last time we had a proper plausible Gun Barrel opening for James Bond? The World Is Not Enough, that's when, and although last century, was still very recent. I don't think they'll ever return to how it was up to 1999, but Die Another Day was where it all went wrong for that. They were clearly thinking, "new century, new gun barrel", but it was a bit of a disaster, as was the subsequent film release

Too many overall bad apples for me, the disaster that was the Halle Berry character (once again), Ciccone's abomination of a theme intro, ill advised cameo appearance, Invisible Car concept, having a guy out of Reservoir Dogs and a serious actor get involved, some complete nonsense events, such as making a hole the size of New Jersey in the perimeter fence at the Korean air base after a few snips, I could be here all night with this, but there simply isn't time for it. Maybe Brosnan wasn't the biggest problem here, despite being clearly past it since his last appearance or a bit out of shape, but as lead actor he must take his share of responsibilities

I think all said, and in the simplest terms, it was a bit of a disaster for all involved

Luds wrote:
    X3MSonicX wrote:
    Well, back 10 years ago then, DAD was the movie of the 40's anniversary of Bond. So, this year, comes Skyfall, as the 50th's anniversary.
    at 40th's, DAD sucked and was considered worst Bond movie ever (as you guys says) and has the worst critics ever on 007 films.

So i ask you guys, may SF get that same curse? Could the movie suck as same as DAD, because of the anniversary's thing?

DAD sucked ass for many reasons. Firstly, Brosnan. The man just can't act. He's a poser, and at that age, way too fat. Secondly, the rest of the cast was horrible. Third, the script was just beyond ridiculous. Robocop? Really? Some bozo with diamonds "stuck" in his face? A super agent that made Barbara Bach's performance look good? And never mind Lee Tama-whore-i.

Looking at skyfall, we've got a great actor in Craig, a tremendous cast, and a solid director. I really can't see how this flick can be as bad as any of Brosnan's flicks.

Like I told you at the time: Spot on.

It´s the shame of all shames. The yo mother of all bad films. The gargantuous epitome of BAD. The wart on a pretty 40 year old face. The smell on the Astros locker room. The fourth Indiana Jones film lost brother..............
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I don't care what y'all say. I still love Die Another Day! :((
    I think EON, Babs and MGW learned a hard lesson. No more stupid gadgets, no stunt casting women, they won't do all those stupid references for the 50. they will simply turn out a Great film and one for the ages.
    They have a better actor, better women, a better villain, and a "real" director, not Tama-fuck face.
    Forget Roger Moore, Tamahori was the man with the eye-brows.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I quite enjoy DAD, despite all it's faults. I also love the fact that we have these OTT entries beside the more realistic ones. Makes for great variety. I do feel some of you like to take these films too seriously, and at the end of the day, you're only burdening yourself. It IS possible to like DAD and still consider films like FRWL/CR/TLD the best of the series. In the end it's just entertainment. Of course this is all just my opinion. ;)
    Luds wrote:
    X3MSonicX wrote:

Wait+a+minute......are+you+fucking+serious+I+m+a+_b326413044b3d8dc2e528303b63c7278.jpg

1) are you high? Brosnan was probarly the best thing about it (next to Rosmaund Pike, Judi Dench and the pre-credits sequence battle) he is finally comfortable with his role and gives his best peformance and the arrogance or Poser you state isnt any diffrent than the arrogancce/poser of Timothy Dalton in Licence to Kill when asking to be recruited by Sanchez... and he wasnt fat in the role he looked quite fit for a guy in his late 40s

2) alright you have a point the cast wasnt the best except for Pike, Dench and Brosnan obviously having Halle Berry in it was a way to get the views from american audiences (like Denise Richards in TWINE) but Rick Yune was sinister and straight face while Toby was perhaps not the best

Getafix wrote:

:)) :))

Hmm...what movie are you referring to??

Why did they put the most notorious lines in the trailer ("this is why Superman works alone")? They did the same with DAD ("Now there's a mouthful")
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

:)) :))

Hmm...what movie are you referring to??

Someone knows what I'm talking about. Congratulations on surviving, my fellow brother.