The 'Die Another Day' Curse

Comments

• I think P and W are the curse, not Tamahori.

It's possible, of course. With Logan involved in this one, I don't see that happening. I still blame Tamahori and after reading his statements, I hold him way more responsible for DAD's failures.
  • 1st hour is great, 2nd not so and the bit with the parachute surfing was the worst bit of CGI that I have ever seen apart from the mummy returns Rock scorpion.
    It actually spoiled the end of the film that much that I had big problems actually watching it after that.
    Also, after seeing all of the past references to the other Bond films, you just think wow, the only driving force behind the whole plot was to get another one in.
  • In the first 15 minutes we got a fake death and Bond walking in PJ's. How is that great? And then we (gulp) get Jinx and that terrible dialogue. QOS please.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    X3MSonicX wrote:
    I actually watched this the other night, first time in a good few years, I must admit I enjoyed the first hour, the scenes with Bond being held prisoner and through to Cuba I thought were pretty good, the last hour or so was poor and my interest started to wain but I stuck with it through to the end. Also the wind surfing scene was bad but in my mind I had remembered it as the worst thing ever so it wasn't as terrible as my brain had made it to be.

I thing the poorest thing about the entire film is every scene where Bond has to speak to a woman, every line is a poorly written innuendo, particulary every scene with Jinx, just terrible, unnessary dialogue.

Every scene WITH Jinx is unneccessary.

Correction: Every scene with Jinx breathing air is unnecessary.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    X3MSonicX wrote:
    I actually watched this the other night, first time in a good few years, I must admit I enjoyed the first hour, the scenes with Bond being held prisoner and through to Cuba I thought were pretty good, the last hour or so was poor and my interest started to wain but I stuck with it through to the end. Also the wind surfing scene was bad but in my mind I had remembered it as the worst thing ever so it wasn't as terrible as my brain had made it to be.

I thing the poorest thing about the entire film is every scene where Bond has to speak to a woman, every line is a poorly written innuendo, particulary every scene with Jinx, just terrible, unnessary dialogue.

Every scene WITH Jinx is unneccessary.

Correction: Every scene with Jinx breathing air is unnecessary.
    I think P and W are the curse, not Tamahori.
    Well, P & W didn't believe that codename theory, so 1 up for them.
  • In the first 15 minutes we got a fake death and Bond walking in PJ's. How is that great? And then we (gulp) get Jinx and that terrible dialogue. QOS please.

I'd rather watch Austin Powers than either of them and I dont like Austin Powers :)
    SaintMark wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    SF is obviously going to be much, much better.

Lets cross our fingers and hope so, and I do not think it will be worse than the last 007 movie. Nothing can be that bad.............. O:-)

Sure there can. DAD. MR. TWINE. Can probably think of a few more. Craig hater ;) :D

I hate him so much that I really want to have him a 100% decent movie something that he has yet to get. I hopefor him that Bond23 will deliver his best movie.

• I think P and W are the curse, not Tamahori.

It's possible, of course. With Logan involved in this one, I don't see that happening. I still blame Tamahori and after reading his statements, I hold him way more responsible for DAD's failures.

DAD was the only time P n W were the only credited writers of a Bond film. Tamahori has made good films outside of Bond. He wins in my book.
    In the first 15 minutes we got a fake death and Bond walking in PJ's. How is that great? And then we (gulp) get Jinx and that terrible dialogue. QOS please.

What was wrong with him walking in PJs? I thought that was pretty badass. Only Bond could saunter into a hotel like that and get the best suite.

In the first 15 minutes of QOS we get two badly edited chase sequences and the awful title song (but I'll be fair, DAD has that too).

DAD please.
    QoS is erratically paced and somewhat disappointing but it's easily the better film of the two. It at least doesn't have as atrocious sfx.

For my money DAD has some decent "nuggets" though but becomes pretty much unwatchable the moment Bond jumps into Graves's speed record breaker rocket and any notion of reality goes out the window.
  • Man, you all are way more cynical than the old AFJB newsgroup gang. Here are the areas where DAD excelled: the pre-credit sequence, the HK scenes, the Cuba scenes, the London scenes (in particular the sword-fight). Here are the suckage areas: Madonna song and cameo, titles, the second half of the movie.

As for the near universal condemnation here of QOS, I say it could have been a great Bond but for the editing and directing. The story could have been fleshed out a bit more, but Craig was excellent and Olga Kurylenko was the best Bond girl in many movies. I had hoped she would return.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 3,494
    SaintMark wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

Lets cross our fingers and hope so, and I do not think it will be worse than the last 007 movie. Nothing can be that bad.............. O:-)

Sure there can. DAD. MR. TWINE. Can probably think of a few more. Craig hater ;) :D

I hate him so much that I really want to have him a 100% decent movie something that he has yet to get. I hope for him that Bond23 will deliver his best movie.

I was teasing you, you know ;)

@ Bain- you get the LALD cabbie "right on, brother" for your astute comments :)
    SaintMark wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

I hate him so much that I really want to have him a 100% decent movie something that he has yet to get. I hope for him that Bond23 will deliver his best movie.

I knew that as soon as you mentioned MR which is easily the best movie in 007 franchise after the Connery years. ;)

• SaintMark wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

I knew that as soon as you mentioned MR which is easily the best movie in 007 franchise after the Connery years. ;)

:)) Now that's even funnier than Craig hating!
  • Die another day is terrible, yet the first act is vaguely comprehensive until it just abruptly and horribly falls completely apart. I'm not a Quantum of Solace fan, but I prefer it completely over DAD.
  • X3MSonicX wrote:
    Well, back 10 years ago then, DAD was the movie of the 40's anniversary of Bond. So, this year, comes Skyfall, as the 50th's anniversary.
    at 40th's, DAD sucked and was considered worst Bond movie ever (as you guys says) and has the worst critics ever on 007 films.

So i ask you guys, may SF get that same curse? Could the movie suck as same as DAD, because of the anniversary's thing?

I dont beleive it will be cursed. Daniel Craig did say theres presure with the anniversary, but it's nice presure. I dont think it will effect the film. If anything, they will make it their best!!!!!!!!!! a movie to remember.
    X3MSonicX wrote:
    Well, back 10 years ago then, DAD was the movie of the 40's anniversary of Bond. So, this year, comes Skyfall, as the 50th's anniversary.
    at 40th's, DAD sucked and was considered worst Bond movie ever (as you guys says) and has the worst critics ever on 007 films.

So i ask you guys, may SF get that same curse? Could the movie suck as same as DAD, because of the anniversary's thing?

I dont beleive it will be cursed. Daniel Craig did say theres presure with the anniversary, but it's nice presure. I dont think it will effect the film. If anything, they will make it their best!!!!!!!!!! a movie to remember.
    If there is any movie that is strong enough to knock CR from its top spot on my list, it is Skyfall.
  • Uh, maybe you should wait to see SF first? If you are referring to sheer potential, yes, that I get.
  • Uh, maybe you should wait to see SF first?

I've made that point lots of times. I think overhyping SF will hurt it more than anything, it could make it a let down for some people. I mean cmon, we even have a thread about Oscars it'll win!
    I think people are expecting a lot from sf so there is a good chance that a lot of people will be dissapointed when they see it unless they happen to make a classic film which it seems is very rare these days.
  • Uh, maybe you should wait to see SF first?

I've made that point lots of times. I think overhyping SF will hurt it more than anything, it could make it a let down for some people. I mean cmon, we even have a thread about Oscars it'll win!

Like I said, certain things like awesome cinematography, and an all star cast, director, and composer are evident. The rest to me is mostly a big ????????? as far as my feelings on SF and that's how I want it to be, and age has taught me not to expect either the best or the worst. But I have had gut instincts based on Bond trailers develop as well over the years, and they are usually right way more than wrong. And they are telling me this one is going to be well worth the wait.
    Uh, maybe you should wait to see SF first?

Like I said, certain things like awesome cinematography, and an all star cast, director, and composer are evident. The rest to me is mostly a big ????????? as far as my feelings on SF and that's how I want it to be, and age has taught me not to expect either the best or the worst. But I have had gut instincts based on Bond trailers develop as well over the years, and they are usually right way more than wrong. And they are telling me this one is going to be well worth the wait.

I don't take notice of trailers anymore.

• edited September 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Uh, maybe you should wait to see SF first?

I've learned not to let trailers get my hopes up. The cast and the action seem great and the score probably will be too, but I'm not sure about the rest.

But my point is, overhyping it could make it a let down for some people no matter how good it is.
    P and W plus Tamahori equals a jinx.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Getafix wrote:
    P and W plus Tamahori equals a jinx.
    NeengPoh wrote:
    422683_10151076718573310_141254904_n.jpg
    Getafix wrote:
    It crumbles from the moment they fire a bullet through the gun barrel. Not just the worst Bond movie ever. Possibly the worst film I have ever watched in a cinema.

Worst one for me was probably A Guy Thing, I literally bought the ticket at random, but then I was not expecting to watch a James Bond, so the experience was far less disappointing.
  • Based on the talent involved and the excepional trailers I don't think we need to worry. Sam Mendes is a much more talented filmaker than Lee Tamahori and despite Purvis and Wades's involvement we have John Logan to pull all the elements together and I am assuming write the actual finished screenplay. Based on the evidence I think the 5oth Anniversary film is going to be one to celebrate....
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 11,425
    The only concern is that P and W's stories are usually awful. So am bit concerned about this but otherwise I am confident it will be decently made.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited September 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Please delete.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Getafix wrote:
    The only concern is that P and W's stories are usually awful. So am bit concerned about this but otherwise I am confident it will be decently made.
    Well with John Logan and Peter Morgan's "Big Hook" I'm sure whatever purvis and wade have written is last priority.

Let's hope so. Would be nice to think that P+w and their M obsession had been cut out of the loop.