Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• I also think Hardy would be great but he's pretty famous now and EON normally pick smaller names.
    I saw Hardy in Brosnan, I mean Bronson, the movie about the famous British jail inmate a year or two back, it was a bit of a bizarre watch, and Hardy did well for me, but at least on that alone, I don't think he would be the most appropriate choice. Yes we can't judge individuals on the basis of one movie seen, but from what I can ascertain and I've felt this way before, just not a choice I would like to see occur
  • It was seeing him Inception that really made me think "Woah....this guy could be Bond." Normally I'd agree as far as the populartiy goes, but he's so versatile as an actor that I think his popularity wouldn't be much of a problem. From film to film you even forget you're watching the same actor.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Yeah, Hardy is now really out there, and his Bane is not only a great villain but meme heaven. His "when Gotham is in ashes, you have my permission to die" quote alone can be spun to fit any situation with unlimited hilarity.
    Hardy is playing Max Rockatansky in the new rebooted Mad Max film: Fury Road. It's unlikely the producers will want their next James Bond to be Mad Max too. If Fury Road is a big enough hit it's possible there will be a sequel.
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 12,837
    fanbond123 wrote:
    Hardy is playing Max Rockatansky in the new rebooted Mad Max film: Fury Road. It's unlikely the producers will want their next James Bond to be Mad Max too. If Fury Road is a big enough hit it's possible there will be a sequel.

I think it could work actually, having an actor be in two big franchises, why not? Look at Jeremy Renner.

And they better make sequels to Mad Max 4. I've waited long enough for a 4th film, I don't want another long wait for the 5th. I think Hardy is a great choice.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Having the same actor in various franchises is annoying. People like Ryan Reynolds and Robert Pattison seem some days to be the only damn actors in Hollywood judging by how much they are hired, especially in their considerations for superhero films. Robert is being considered for the Daredevil film as we speak. Shoot me now.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited August 2012 Posts: 13,350
    I thought Daredevil was off the table and the rights were going back to Marvel? A film had to be in production this year and that didn't happen, time's up.

We've all been done a great favour!
    The latest is that the Jack Ryan movie starring Chris Pine will have a spinoff called Without Remorse and reports are that Paramount is courting Tom Hardy to play John Clark, the CIA operative in the movie. Now this bit of gossip is going to have some Mi6 members going into a catatonic meltdown due to the fact that not only did both Pine and Hardy appeared together in This Means War therefore they can't be seen acting together in a seperate franchise, it also means that Tom Hardy will be in 2 more franchises as the lead!! Surely this can't be allowed to happen? An actor being allowed to star in another franchise!!

Also if this casting happens it means no Bond for Hardy.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    fanbond123 wrote:

I think it could work actually, having an actor be in two big franchises, why not? Look at Jeremy Renner.

And they better make sequels to Mad Max 4. I've waited long enough for a 4th film, I don't want another long wait for the 5th. I think Hardy is a great choice.

I don't think you understand the gravity of what the role of Bond entails. EoN aren't going to hire an actor who's the lead in a big or well known franchise and then cast him as Bond. Hawkeye and Aaron Cross are 2 characters in a series of films that you can't compare to Bond because the casting process is radically different. Look at Chris Evans, GE was Johnny Storm in 2 movies abd then went on to become Captain America. Can you see how the casting decision making process is different? EoN aren't looking for big stars or major household names. Once an actor becomes Bond then the actor becomes a star.
  • doubleonothingdoubleonothing Los Angeles Moderator
    david-gandy-the-one-fit-sexy-handsome.jpg

I think David Gandy would be a good Bond. He's good looking, athletic, stylish and enjoys fast cars and an international lifestyle. So what if he's a model, if he can act, I think he's a good fit.
    But he's not an actor. Furthermore, Bond isn't a model.
    doubleoego wrote:
    But he's not an actor.

Neither was Lazenby and he did a good job. Just because he's not an experienced actor, doesn't mean he can't act, he might have it in him. Living the Bond lifestyle for real would help him get into the character too.

Anyway, I stand by my past choice of Scott Adkins.
    doubleoego wrote:
    But he's not an actor. Furthermore, Bond isn't a model.
    doubleoego wrote:
    But he's not an actor.

Neither was Lazenby and he did a good job. Just because he's not an experienced actor, doesn't mean he can't act, he might have it in him. Living the Bond lifestyle for real would help him get into the character too.

In my opinion he could be Dalton's son. It's the eyes.
    Tom Hardy gets my vote after watching Inception again. He might be prettier than Craig, but he would bring the same physical force to role as Craig has done. He'd continue on the path set by Craig and would make Bond believable.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

I did think about Adkins as Bond while watching Assasination Games, but i'd need to see more from him to decide.
    I'm still strongly in favour of Tom Hiddleston.
    doubleoego wrote:
    But he's not an actor.

I know Lazenby wasn't an actor but guess what? I'm nit sure if you're up to date with current events but this isn't 1969. EoN aren't hiring potential Bonds who have no acting experience what so ever and furthermore the guy doesn't even look like Bond. He's a male supermodel. Honestly, this is not a sensible casting choice at all because it understandably doesn't fit in with EoN's casting decision making process. As for Lazenby regardless of what any fan thinks, the producers time and time again have talked about his inexperience as an actor and at the time how the film was a disappointment. Babs and Zmichsel will nit be making that mistake. get real. A male supermodel who also writes blogs for magazines and has no acting experience at all isn't going to be cast as Bond. The producers will make their decision on acting ability and what they can bring and that all starts by looking at some body of acting work to get an impression. How people fail to understand this amazes me.
    Unless EON are going to finance the entire movie, which they're not, then they'll have to cast someone who is agreeable to the backers. The likelihood that a future Bond will be a total unknown is also something of a bygone era. With the film's budget at an estimated $150 million, down from the $200 million spent on Quantum of Solace, the money men will want an experienced actor to take the lead role. Some will point to Daniel Craig's lack of movie credentials when he was cast but also forgetting he was top of most peoples' Brosnan Replacement List after Layer Cake despite the backlash from Brozzie fans. It'll be interesting to see where Bond goes in the future and whether they can keep fans interested enough to keep buying in to the franchise. If they make the wrong casting call then the whole thing could come tumbling down.
  • doubleonothingdoubleonothing Los Angeles Moderator
    I don't fail to understand EoN's casting process at all @doubleoego, I was merely suggesting someone I personally think would make a good Bond. I don't think for a moment he'll be considered, let alone hired.

My choices for who I'd like to see play Bond are always a little out of step with who EoN would choose, but that's okay because it's just about what I'd like, not what I think will happen.

Why do I think he'd make a good Bond? Well, he's got the looks (which, to my mind, are similar to Fleming's description of Bond - let's not forget Bond had "movie star" good looks), he has the physicality (he's well built, but also athletic, being a keen swimmer. He's also very tall), he dresses impeccably and has his own style (Bond wasn't exactly traditional with his short sleeved shirts and moccasins), he lives an international lifestyle, with a love of fast cars and is often seen in the company of extremely beautiful women. He's around the right age, too.

He has also had a small amount of acting experience making short films and also is comfortable in front of the camera after making many adverts.

Honestly, I know he won't be cast. I thought this thread was just somewhere we could put forward suggestions for who we'd like to see as Bond, or who we think might work in the role without someone getting all uppity.
  • SAMSAM
    Though, Michael Fassbender would be my personal choice to succeed D Craig, consider the following :

What about Guy Pearce, a hugely talented actor that has built a sound career to date.

He meets the characteristics ( appearance, demeanor and so forth ) to play James Bond.

Productions include : Memento, LA Confidential and The Hurt Locker

or

Benedict Cumberbatch, an upcoming British actor and appeared a number of respectable productions :

Tinker Taylor and Sherlock
    doubleoego wrote:
    I know Lazenby wasn't an actor but guess what? I'm nit sure if you're up to date with current events but this isn't 1969. EoN aren't hiring potential Bonds who have no acting experience what so ever and furthermore the guy doesn't even look like Bond. He's a male supermodel. Honestly, this is not a sensible casting choice at all because it understandably doesn't fit in with EoN's casting decision making process. As for Lazenby regardless of what any fan thinks, the producers time and time again have talked about his inexperience as an actor and at the time how the film was a disappointment. Babs and Zmichsel will nit be making that mistake. get real. A male supermodel who also writes blogs for magazines and has no acting experience at all isn't going to be cast as Bond. The producers will make their decision on acting ability and what they can bring and that all starts by looking at some body of acting work to get an impression. How people fail to understand this amazes me.

Ok, ok, no need to get your knickers in a twist. I know he won't get hired (pretty much nobody suggested in this thread will), but doubleonothing suggested him, which is the point of the thread, and I was just saying he looks the part, apparently lives the lifestyle and might be able to act.
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 153
    I think a young Christoph Waltz will do.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQTbh7C3fwE641zuhoop_V01rPa4pYSUhO-8RuCF1Wj0ALqpPab

He's a very talented actor, as evident in Inglourious Basterds. He also happens to speak fluently in French and German which Bond speaks fluently, according to his zapiska in the novel From Russia with Love. Too late though, he's already 56, so it's definitely a no, but I think he's suitable as a Bond villain as well.

Other than him I'd go for Tom Hiddleston, Benedict Cumberbatch (those eyes! Those are Dalton's eyes!), Tom Hardy (once he toned down the muscle; Bond is a spy not a UFC Fighter) Rupert Friend and of course: Michael Fassbender.
    chris-hemsworth-elsa-pataky-baftas-2012--7.jpg

Chris-Hemsworth-chris-hemsworth-27850567-817-1222.jpg

In the spirit of George Lazenby, how about a fellow Australian? A short haired Chris Hemsworth, if he wasn't so famous from Thor already.

Although I still want his adopted Asgardian brother, Tom Hiddleston.
  • Isn't his range a bit.... limited? I mean didn't he pretty much play 'Thor' in Snow White & The Huntsman?

What about his brother in 15 years? He seems the more likely candidate
    Isn't his range a bit.... limited? I mean didn't he pretty much play 'Thor' in Snow White & The Huntsman?

What about his brother in 15 years? He seems the more likely candidate

Hasn't had a big career so far, has a few non-Thor roles coming out in the next year before Thor 2; we'll see about his range after that.

Personal preference, I like him better than his brother (assuming you mean the younger one), though he certainly would be more likely than Chris.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Past? Only one comes to mind, Sean Bean.

Future:

Michael Fassbender
    Henry Cavill
    Matthew Lewis (maybe in about 12 years)
    Always thought James Mason would have made a very good Bond. He was excellent as the villain in North by Northwest.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 1,310
    I'd say we're looking for someone who was born around 1980-83. (My assumed timeline is Craig's five film contract allows him to step down after Bond 25 in 2016, and a new actor comes in fall of 2019). Fassbender will be 42 then, which might be pushing it for a NEW Bond actor. I suppose it all comes down to how young he still looks, though.

Truthfully, Cavill is the perfect age for snagging up the role after Craig is done (Cavill will be 36). The question is - is Cavill appropriate? He apparently was very good during his CR audition and its possible to have a repeat Dalton/Brosnan situation, where Cavill is picked up long after his first audition. It all comes down to The Man of Steel. If it's a hit, sequels will be made and I'd say Cavill is automatically eliminated.

No, I think that Bond #7 is going to be a choice from mid-left field. Daniel Craig was never really on anyone's radar, and I think the next Bond actor is going to be someone that was right under our nose. I could even see EON throwing us an odd-ball and casting someone like Nicholas Hoult eight or nine years down the line (he'd be about 30).
    esq-nicholas-hoult-021311-lg.jpg
    Far too young now, obviously, but in roughly ten years? Who knows...
    I remember Nicholas in About A Boy. Amazing how much he has changed, but for the better of course.