The James Bond Debate Thread - 336 Craig looks positively younger in SP than he does in SF.

Comments

• MrBondMrBond Station S
    Isn't in QoS Mathis says that...?
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 1,082
    MrBond wrote:
    Isn't in QoS Mathis says that...?

Yes, it is. He says it when Bond visits his villa (or whatever it is) in Italy.

But I think it worked well when Mathis said it. I think Bond perhaps didn't have authority to say that, since he still was young in the movie. It depends on the definition of "older" really...

• echoecho 007 in New York
    Disagree. It works well in the new context of QoS, and Giannini delivers it perfectly.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited August 2012 Posts: 14,031
    Bond perhaps didn't have authority to say that, since he still was young in the movie. It depends on the definition of "older" really...
    Yes, it seems something a more seasoned Bond would say- not a rookie on his first or second mission.
    echo wrote:
    Disagree. It works well in the new context of QoS, and Giannini delivers it perfectly.
    ^Agree with this. Mathis owns that line for QoS.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Following a suggestion by @CommanderRoss:

<font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 146</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>In CR, Mathis says "the heroes and the villains get all mixed up" whereas in the novel, Bond drops that line. It should still have been Bond saying it in the film.</b></font>

Works the way it is in the book, works the way it is in the film. Disagree.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Following a suggestion by @CommanderRoss:

<font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 146</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>In CR, Mathis says "the heroes and the villains get all mixed up" whereas in the novel, Bond drops that line. It should still have been Bond saying it in the film.</b></font>
    The line coming from Craig's Bond would have been completely inappropriate. Disagree.
    Thesis says what?

I haven't read the novel, but then the issue seems irrelevant as this is a quote from Quantum Of Solace, even If I don't actually recall Mathis saying this, despite a recent viewing. The character did seem to mumble his words every now and again. It seems better suited to Rene that Bond himself though whichever way you look it

Thesis is wrong in more ways than one
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Thesis says what?

I haven't read the novel, but then the issue seems irrelevant as this is a quote from Quantum Of Solace, even If I don't actually recall Mathis saying this, despite a recent viewing. The character did seem to mumble his words every now and again. It seems better suited to Rene that Bond himself though whichever way you look it

Thesis is wrong in more ways than one

Well, I found the line whilst reading CR and recognised it as Mathis' line in 'the' film, but indeed it might have been in QoS. The difference being that in the book Bond says it when he's confused and in hospital, after the beating he's gotten from Le Chiffre. In the book it's Mathis who makes fun of him, telling him that as soon as he's healthy he'll know the difference between good and bad again. He lets Bond explain his whole theory, but as Bond regains strength he again sees the difference (ending with Vesper's end and the famous line ' yes, was, the bitch is dead'.

All in all the producers added a grayness to the world of Bond where Fleming went for black and white.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Sorry folks, I messed up. I corrected the mistake in the original post.
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 147</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>Tanya Roberts was more convincing as a geologist than Denise Richards as a nuclear physicist.</b></font>
    DarthDimi wrote:

<font color=blue size=7><b>Tanya Roberts was more convincing as a geologist than Denise Richards as a nuclear physicist.</b></font>

Disagree. Neither are very good, but Roberts wasn't just unconvincing. She was irritating as hell.

Richards wasn't very convincing either, but at least I don't put in my earphones everytime she speaks.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    edited August 2012 Posts: 2,629
    I took both geology and non-nucleaer physics (technically it was Introduction to Physical Science) in college. Let's just say I had an easier time understanding geology. The only thing Tanya really would have needed to understand about geology for her role would have been plate tectonics. Tanya Roberts had the advantage of understanding a less demanding science. When Tanya is playing the business side of her role and not screaming her head off, she actually does come off as knowledgable enough to pass for a geologist.

Denise Richards, try as she might, comes off as more of a high priced call girl with an attitude turned commentator about aspects of nuclear physics than as an actual nuclear physicist. Someone like Michele Yeoh, Izabella Scurupco or Rosamund Pike probably could have pulled off being a nuclear physicist, but Denise Richards was just horribly miscast.

Neither actress was particularly good, but I'll agree with the thesis on the theory that geology would have been easier to grasp for any actress than nuclear physics.

Edit: I'll elaborate a bit on what I stated. Stacy explains the faultlines around Silicon Valley and how Silicon Valley could be flooded, making her passable. Denise tell us the obvious that missing plutonium is not good.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    edited August 2012 Posts: 3,262
    DarthDimi wrote:

Agreed. And with the scene where she lacks the ability to notice a zeppelin the size of a football field sneaking up on her, Miss Roberts gives the most believable performance ever as a California government employee in the entire history of cinema.

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I agree though I do think - no, know! - Tanya Roberts was the better of the two on screen.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited August 2012 Posts: 28,694
    Disagree. Both are horrid and equally unconvincing. "JAMES! JAMES! JAMES!" My ears are still ringing Tanya!!!
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 3,494
    DarthDimi wrote:

I agree with the thesis for no other reason than my own opinion that Tanya did a better job with her role. Otherwise, both are not good. As a man though I must say Tanya's smoky voice purring in my ear was always something I thought I'd like to hear. Whereas I would like Denise best with a sock in it. That is, as Kerim once said, if I could first dispel the thought of nasty old Sheen deposits :))

Whereas I would like Denise best with a sock in it. That is, as Kerim once said, if I could first dispel the thought of nasty old Sheen deposits :))

I'm glad you said sock!

obviously neither were that great but I think maybe Tanya get's a bit too much stick so I'll side with her!
    DarthDimi wrote:

Lol! This is a toughie! :)) Well? I am gonna have to agree just because i have met and she is really nice. Plus i got to squeeze her when we had our photo taken together! :x
    Show us that photo! :) I'm so jealous now.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Show us that photo! :) I'm so jealous now.

Leave it with DD, will sort it asap! ;)
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 148</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>The Dalton Bond was the most proactive, initiative taking Bond of the first four.</b></font>
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 12,837
    I guess I'll disagree

He was the most proactive, initiative taking Bond of all 6 imo.
    edited August 2012 Posts: 2,629
    I'll hesitantly agree. In TLD, he knew the Czechoslovakian border guards would look through the trunk, so he sent Koskov through the pipeline against Saunders instructions. When Dalton hears of Sanchez escaping in LTK, he forgoes his flight to check on the Leiter's and goes to the point of resigning, and we all know how the film goes. Even Robert Brown's M notes that TD doesn't follow orders (not necessarily in those words though). When going rogue, you really need to be proactive and have initiative.

Craig certainly qualifies for this thesis in both CR and QOS. Brosnan had signs of this DAD, but not so much in his other films. Roger for the most part followed the chain of command. George threatened to resign when M wouldn't let him go after Blofeld, but stayed on when Moneypenny intervened. Sean knew M was in charge and with the exception of the assigned Thunderball mission, followed orders. Other than maybe Craig, Dalton's Bond was the most proactive and initiative of the Bonds.
    Kerim wrote:
    Other than maybe Craig, Dalton's Bond was the most proactive and initiative of the Bonds.

Agreed, @Kerim, which is why I specified "of the first four". ;-)
    I really should read these thesises in its entirety. :\">

In that case, I agree.
    Agree wholeheartedly.
    pretty much agree with this.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Disagree. It was appropriate and good when Mathis said it. I like it that way.
    Disagree. It was appropriate and good when Mathis said it. I like it that way.

I think you're a little behind, friend. ;-)
    DarthDimi wrote:
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 148</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>The Dalton Bond was the most proactive, initiative taking Bond of the first four.</b></font>

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I don't keep up on these well laterly. Er ...
    Anyway with Dalton being the most proactive of the first four - yes I agree.