The James Bond Debate Thread - 336 Craig looks positively younger in SP than he does in SF.

Comments

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Yep, me too.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I think I can make a case for Lazenby.

Against M's insistence that Operation Bedlam was dead, he took the initiative in contacting Sir Hillary Bray and the school of heraldry, sought out M at his home, and eventually went against M's orders again with Draco and the "demolition deal."

Disagree with the thesis.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 149</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>It is unclear whether Ourumov was the one who disguised himself as the admiral or not.</b></font>
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    edited August 2012 Posts: 3,262
    DarthDimi wrote:

<font color=blue size=7><b>It is unclear whether Ourumov was the one who disguised himself as the admiral or not.</b></font>

Agreed. When I read the GE novelization, I thought it was 006.
    DarthDimi wrote:

Agree. Although I think..

It's not him. When he exists the helicopter at Severnaya, there's barely enough room for him to sit, let alone change out of a disguise. He simply covered his military uniform with the pilot's uniform, which he could have managed off in the chopper.

But he could have just as easily slipped away from the ceremony, taken off the disguise, and waited for Onatopp to kill the pilots and slip on the uniform over his military wear.

DarthDimi wrote:

Agree. You know Onatopp is one of the pilots, but there is no suggestion that Ourumov is the other.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    DarthDimi wrote:

Agree. Although I've always thought he was the most likely candidate, considering the admiral's age and body shape. But it's definitely unclear as to who it actually is.
  • DarthDimi wrote:

Agreed with thesis. I thought he was picked up before they went to Severnaya.

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I can't argue with this one.
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 150</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>It is never implied that Bond and Paula ever did the nasty in TB.</b></font>
  • DarthDimi wrote:

<font color=blue size=7><b>It is never implied that Bond and Paula ever did the nasty in TB.</b></font>

Agree with thesis, as far as I'm concerned their relationship was strictly professional.

Agree, as said before a prof. relationship
    DarthDimi wrote:

While it was never implied, I always assumed that they did. In the scene on the boat she seemed flirtatious; after her death Bond reacted in a similar way to Jill Masterson's death.

It's never implied, but is easily assumed. I mean, with Bond's reputation for the ladies and a beautiful woman he's working closely with who seems interested in him...
    Volante wrote:
    It's never implied, but is easily assumed. I mean, with Bond's reputation for the ladies and a beautiful woman he's working closely with who seems interested in him...

TB would have been an extremely virile film then, with no less than four girls bedded by Bond. ;-)
    DarthDimi wrote:

No reason to disagree with this thesis, so i wont! Agree!
    It's been such a long time since I viewed Thunderball I can't even recall who Paula was!

Did the nasty?, but I don't think Connery had reached Moore levels of escapades with the women by 1965, so thesis seems accurate. I'll be doing 'the nasty' myself immediately after this..
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 151</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>It makes no sense for Bond to fire torpedoes at the Cigar Girl's boat, only to beg her not to blow herself up a minute later.</b></font>
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I'd like to think Bond was aiming to stop her boat and not kill her but I doubt that's the case and the situation wasn't through but anyone inside EON at all.
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Disagree. Lets not forget blowing up the balloon would mean killing Bond too. I always thought Bond wanted her dead and was telling her he could protect her to save his own life.

I think he jumped onto the balloon in a moment of madness, the adrenaline was flowin through him, he didn't think it through.

He didn't have a plan once he was on there, when she was going to blow up the balloon, he didn't plan to roll down the dome and *just* grab on. From where he was standing, it would've looked like he was facing death, so I think he was spouting all that stuff about protection because he was desperately trying to save himself.

So I disagree because in a way, it does make sense. But wether that was on purpose though or whether the script writers didn't think it through, I'm not sure.
    DarthDimi wrote:

<font color=blue size=7><b>It makes no sense for Bond to fire torpedoes at the Cigar Girl's boat, only to beg her not to blow herself up a minute later.</b></font>

Would say disagree. Thelivingroyale pretty much sums it up really.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Good point, never thought about it that way. Still, I'm a defender of TWINE, so I'll go with @LivingRoyale's post....

Disagree
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Disagree.

@theLivingRoyale hit the nail on the head on that one.
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 3,494
    RogueAgent wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:

Would say disagree. Thelivingroyale pretty much sums it up really.

I disagree with thesis and also agree with TLR on this one. Bond seemed more intent on stop and capture before kill. I don't think he had much of a choice in firing the torpedoes at that point, and probably hoped she tried to escape which she did. If he'd killed her, he would have gotten an earful from M just like Craig's rookie Bond has gotten for the same sort of thing.

Disagree with the thesis for the reasons TLR mentioned. An example of a character's actions changing and motivations fluctuating under different circumstances.
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 152</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>From the novel YOLT and the novel / movie CR, it can be deduced that Bond considers suicide cowardly.</b></font>
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Agree. Don't forget DAD, one of the best parts of the film there. "You had your cyanide" "threw it away years ago"
    Agreed. Interestingly contrasted with the youthful and inexperienced Bond in QOS, where he nearly kills Camille and himself. But the Bond of the old series and especially the novels was very much a warrior who didn't believe in suicide.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Not forgetting the novel FRWL as well.

Although in the novel MR Bond is quite prepared to blow himself up to save Blighty. But then I suppose that can be considered self sacrifice in the service of the country but nonetheless it is an heroic suicide so therefore contradicts the thesis. But in general I would agree.
    Although i have not read the novels? I do agree with the thesis.
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 153</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>Arnold scored Jinx' and Bond's rise from the sea (DAD - CR) with unnecessary drama.</b></font>