Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• meshypushymeshypushy Ireland
    peter wrote: »
    meshypushy wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    I don’t think I have an attitude - just a dislike for Guy Ritchie’s normal output. I was willing to park this to get a sense of Theo James’ range outside of what else I have seen him in, so I watched the first episode of ‘The Gentlemen’ (I have been excited to see the response of others to him as a potential Bond and like what I have seen of him so far).
    Having watched the first episode, I don’t have the appetite to watch the remaining seven hours and was hoping that someone (who also doesn’t have an attitude) might be able to point me to a standout episode, moments etc that they liked, in the context of James’ performance.
    I would think the above is a reasonable request, considering that I have explicitly stated that I am not a fan of Guy Ritchie.
    Being met with a ‘watch it all or wait for the next thing Theo James is in’ response is hardly what I would call a ‘positive attitude’, in response to my post.
    I was expecting someone perhaps to recall their favourite scene or something impressive that James might have done during the series, this being a thread where that has generally happened regarding other candidates.

Trust me, you have an attitude. The suggestion to watch the series was friendly in tone and was only suggesting that while you may not like much of Ritchie's work , you may find this different; he does not direct all these episodes, only two .

Thank you for the additional context on what others have posted but please do not confuse my dislike of Ritchie with me having an attitude that might extend beyond that. I was attempting to get some context specifically on what others saw in James’ performance, in the form of a positive discussion.
    Barbara herself noted that she saw Craig walking in a scene in ‘Elizabeth’ as being a moment that demonstrated his Bondian qualities. I had hoped that others who had seen ‘The Gentlemen’ might have been keen to share similar experiences regarding James.
    In this thread, I previously noted that Taron Egerton would be my favoured candidate for Bond and suggested that folk watch his performance in ‘Blackbird’. If someone had asked me for specific moments or scenes that demonstrated his Bondian qualities, I would have been happy to discuss and not respond with an ‘eff off and watch the series’-type remark (again noting the previous discussion to date in this thread).
    Apologies to anyone I offended - my intent was positive.

Watched it all weeks ago. I couldn't get into The Gentlemen movie but I thought this was a decent series with good characters and story. I don't recall any moments where Theo James was demonstrating Bond qualities and I doubt you'll find anyone who can. Next Bond is way different than what can be scouted.

That’s interesting to hear - I had noted a lot of chatter online recently about how ‘The Gentlemen’ was evidence that James would make a great casting for Bond. I never in my wildest dreams would’ve watched it otherwise.
    I think I’ll join @mtm in passing on the rest of the series…

He plays a cool leader character and probably would make a great casting for Bond. It's worth a watch. I watched a few episodes back-to-back so it must've had good pacing and sounds to keep me interested. Comedy was spot on too

James was very cool. Part of that was how in control he was at all times. He was definitely the alpha. His brain was constantly ticking.

And then on top of that, his timing for dry humour was perfect.

And still on top of that, he’s tremendously masculine, handsome, stylish, and that voice made my wife weak in the knees and her clothes miraculously disappeared…

My wife walked out 30 minutes through the first episode but his voice was working on me - I might have to check out episode 2 based on these comments!
  • buddyoldchapbuddyoldchap Formerly known as JeremyBondon
    edited May 13 Posts: 163
    Just here to revive the thread with the guy who ages like a stellar wine, who attended the Bafta TV awards yesterday, in a tux of course. A 10/10 as future Bond potential.

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/drama/rivals-aidan-turner-david-tennant-fun-exclusive-newsupdate/

84788875-0-image-a-4_1715587403932.jpg
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Oh my god, the man looks better the older he gets. If he doesn't get a screen test EON have officially lost the plot.
    Well, they’ve lost the plot unless he’s not available to audition, or outright turns down the role, or if they’re prioritising specific types of actor (certain ages etc), or simply if they don’t want him because they don’t think he’d be the right fit…

But barring those things, only then have they lost the plot if they don’t screen test him…
  • Informe_James_BondInforme_James_Bond Dominican Republic
    Aidan Turner is still the best choice to play Agent 007, James Bond, in this new phase.

;)
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited May 13 Posts: 2,943
    Bang on cue, Aidan Turner's just said this: 'There’s a lot of actors [rumoured to be the next James Bond], 20 or 30 actors. Years ago I heard a bit about it, I haven’t heard a lot about it over the last couple of years.' When asked if he would consider taking on the role, Turner replied 'Probably not.'
    Ah, well.

https://metro.co.uk/2024/05/12/bbc-tv-legend-addresses-james-bond-rumours-years-speculation-20825347/
    Venutius wrote: »
    Bang on cue, Aidan Turner's just said this: 'There’s a lot of actors [rumoured to be the next James Bond], 20 or 30 actors. Years ago I heard a bit about it, I haven’t heard a lot about it over the last couple of years.' When asked if he would consider taking on the role, Turner replied 'Probably not.'
    Ah, well.

https://metro.co.uk/2024/05/12/bbc-tv-legend-addresses-james-bond-rumours-years-speculation-20825347/

Already read that. He's playing the game right. he never said 'no, I won't'. Those two things are miles apart. Carry on.
  • edited May 13 Posts: 3,046
    I’m just not really sure what the guy would bring to Bond that would be interesting. He’s a solid actor, but not one I’ve ever found overly memorable or unique. And yes, he doesn’t seem too interested (he could well be approached and convinced, sure - although I get the sense he doesn’t think this’ll happen - but for now there’s no reason to think he’ll want to do it. There’s literally no ‘game’ to play by saying this).
    007HallY wrote: »
    I’m just not really sure what the guy would bring to Bond that would be interesting. He’s a solid actor, but not one I’ve ever found overly memorable or unique. And yes, he doesn’t seem too interested (he could well be approached and convinced, sure - although I get the sense he doesn’t think this’ll happen - but for now there’s no reason to think he’ll want to do it. There’s literally no ‘game’ to play by saying this).

No game to play? Actors get this very question almost asked daily. If you're too eager you're out, basically. Much better to play hard to get, which he has obviously mastered by now.

Also, he IS exactly the type to play literary Bond, that's what he would 'bring'. Essentially the man was born to play Bond. No sweat if you can't appreciate that.
    edited May 13 Posts: 8,159
    I remember probably 5 or more years ago when someone asked him he said "you won't get any Bond talk out of me!" with a cheeky smile.

He obviously knows how the game is played, whether he's under consideration or not. Maybe "probably not" means he's lost hope since then, but then again Daniel Craig needed some convincing from his close friends before accepting the role.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Agreed. He's a decent TV actor but I'm not sure there's a star in there and as a follow-up to Craig I think I'd be a bit disappointed. But he does look nice.

No game to play? Actors get this very question almost asked daily. If you're too eager you're out, basically. Much better to play hard to get, which he has obviously mastered by now.

Also, he IS exactly the type to play literary Bond, that's what he would 'bring'. Essentially the man was born to play Bond. No sweat if you can't appreciate that.

That’s not how it works. If EON like a certain actor/think they have potential, why would them saying in an interview ‘oh yeah, I like James Bond and would consider the part if offered’ be to their detriment? Fair enough if they think it wise not to appear too eager beyond that, or don’t want to make an arse out of themselves in an interview that may put EON off wanting to work with them (although even then it’d have to be quite bad for this to happen), but them expressing some interest really doesn’t matter if they have that potential in the producer’s eyes and are the right fit (ie. do they play another big name character that could clash with Bond? Are they too famous etc). Likewise what does an actor gain by flat out saying they probably wouldn’t consider taking the role if offered? If anything that’s a much more damning thing to say, and if it’s the case they do actually want the role they may appear duplicitous if they are approached and eagerly accept.

People really overcomplicate this, including actors I imagine. The vast majority of actors questioned about Bond were, or indeed will never be considered for the part anyway. Most of the time there’s no game for these people to play, and Turner in this case was being honest.

Also, I don’t think any actor should simply play the literary Bond (however one can do that with such a character - the Bond of Fleming’s CR is very different to the Bond of TMWTGG), but use the character along with their own strengths to create their cinematic Bond. I personally don’t see what Turner would bring that’s unique in this regard. I could always be wrong, but that’s my feeling. 🤷‍♂️

I remember probably 5 or more years ago when someone asked him he said "you won't get any Bond talk out of me!" with a cheeky smile.

He obviously knows how the game is played, whether he's under consideration or not. Maybe "probably not" means he's lost hope since then, but then again Daniel Craig needed some convincing from his close friends before accepting the role.

Craig was being honest about his hesitation. They simply wanted him to play the part and convinced him.

The analogy I always bring up is Dalton and Brosnan. Dalton flat out refused the role and yet he was approached again, tested and hired. After being dropped Brosnan starred in those Diet Coke commercials essentially playing James Bond, and I think expressed interest in it even after. One could well be seen as being too disinterested, one way too eager. Both were Bond.

There’s no campaign to be James Bond, and there’s no ‘game’ beyond a very basic level of public diplomacy. EON will come up with a list of who they want, approach them, and screen test those interested or available. Only in certain circumstances will the actor’s personality or behaviour stop an otherwise solid candidate from being approached.
    mtm wrote: »

Agreed. He's a decent TV actor but I'm not sure there's a star in there and as a follow-up to Craig I think I'd be a bit disappointed. But he does look nice.

Craig? Nothing special, to me that is. To each their own eh. As for Aidan, he's a solid actor. Ever heard of Henry Cavill? Dude's not an actor, yet he's a star.

@Mendes4Lyfe Exactly right. Good man.
    Just here to revive the thread with the guy who ages like a stellar wine, who attended the Bafta TV awards yesterday, in a tux of course. A 10/10 as future Bond potential.

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/drama/rivals-aidan-turner-david-tennant-fun-exclusive-newsupdate/

He is too old and he looks old.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Craig? Nothing special, to me that is. To each their own eh. As for Aidan, he's a solid actor. Ever heard of Henry Cavill? Dude's not an actor, yet he's a star.

As is Daniel Craig, who is. He is indeed a solid actor, I'd just like something a bit more special than that. Each to their own indeed.
    Turner’s got sharp features and is good looking in a classical sort of way. So yeah, it’s a plus for him I guess…

That said I actually remember when Craig was cast and seeing his photo in the news. I think they used a rather unflattering headshot where he was unshaven and which made him look craggy (well, craggier than usual!) I do remember thinking ‘this guy’? But it was his eyes and mouth that actually stood out to me. They reminded me of the description of the literary Bond’s cold grey blue eyes and cruel mouth, and I think he has an otherwise quite striking face anyway. It sort of made sense when I considered that - after all Bond in reality would have a more weathered face, and Connery and Dalton’s weren’t a million miles off in terms of having that hardened edge to their appearance (hell, Dalton looks somewhat dishevelled throughout LTK). Later on it was Craig’s voice that stood out too, so I was sold on him before seeing the film. Anyway, I do think there’s something to be said for actors who have more unique looks.

He is too old and he looks old.

Literally 3 - 4 years ago people were calling him babyfaced. He's around the same age as brosnan was when he was cast, seemed to work out.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 13 Posts: 15,109
    I only just realised Jonathan Pryce is stood next to him in that photo.

Turner’s got sharp features and is good looking in a classical sort of way. So yeah, it’s a plus for him I guess…

Yeah I would have no problem with Bond looking like that. Might be a good candidate for Magnum too though :D

Rivals-DisneyPlus-AidanTurner-e3ae0b8-e1715270072698.jpg?quality=90&webp=true&fit=2200,1465
    The main selling point for Turner isn't his looks, although that doesn't hurt matters. If they are looking for a genuine change of course after Craig, someone as laid back and jovial as Turner seems like a strong place to start. I've never seen an interview where he isn't laughing, joking about, and he seems to have a very easygoing presence. He reminds me of brosnan in that way.
    I only just realised Jonathan Pryce is stood next to him in that photo.

Yeah I would have no problem with Bond looking like that. Might be a good candidate for Magnum too though :D

Rivals-DisneyPlus-AidanTurner-e3ae0b8-e1715270072698.jpg?quality=90&webp=true&fit=2200,1465

I honestly thought that was Mike Wozniak for a second!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 13 Posts: 15,109
    Ha! Yes very Wozniak. Needs more beans though.
    Aidan Turner's forehead is all wrong for Bond. Too sloped.
    Ha! Yes very Wozniak. Needs more beans though.

Long as he doesn’t make an absolute casserole of them 😂

Wonder how many non-UK members here have any idea who/what we’re talking about.
    Aidan Turner's forehead is all wrong for Bond. Too sloped.

Hilarious. What about this guy? Too Putin?

Daniel_Craig_in_2021.jpg
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I think A.Turner could do a fine job; but I don’t think he has a fraction of the screen presence of Theo James.
    I think if they’re looking for a Bond different to Craig’s Bond simply in terms of style, then I’m not sure Turner’s the guy. His strengths seem to be in his intensity as an actor, similar to Dalton in a sense, albeit more subtle (and honestly, I don’t think he’s as good an actor as Dalton or Craig, and compared to the latter particularity I’ve not seen anything from him quite as multi-faceted). He seems quite humorous in interviews, but I haven’t seen him in anything where that humour’s truly come out. Maybe I just need to be pointed in the right direction. Anyway, it’s one of the reasons I’ve been saying I simply can’t see him bringing anything interesting or fresh.
    I think if they’re looking for a Bond different to Craig’s Bond simply in terms of style, then I’m not sure Turner’s the guy. His strengths seem to be in his intensity as an actor, similar to Dalton in a sense, albeit more subtle (and honestly, I don’t think he’s as good an actor as Dalton or Craig, and compared to the latter particularity I’ve not seen anything from him quite as multi-faceted). He seems quite humorous in interviews, but I haven’t seen him in anything where that humour’s truly come out. Maybe I just need to be pointed in the right direction. Anyway, it’s one of the reasons I’ve been saying I simply can’t see him bringing anything interesting or fresh.

Bond isn't a role like other roles. The bond "role" ends up blending with the actor, and takes on a life of its own. Moore is naturally self-deprecating, so his films veered into parody, Brosnan was smooth, so his films took on a sleek sheen, Dalton was a thespian, so his Bond had a brooding intensity, etc. I've no doubt Turner would attempt to play up the dark intensity, just as both Moore and Brosnan did in the early years but he's not a very intensely dark person. Turner is an affable chap, by all accounts, that's a big strength in terms of onscreen charisma. I never found that Craig sold us on the idea that bond was having fun, and that we should want to go along with him for the ride. This is something Brosnan and Moore had in spades, of bringing the audience along. You need the right type of actor to sell that, and it is a skill, even if its not what you'd call the work of great thespians. Its still important, especially for Bond. Strangely enough, I've seen Craig demonstrate that laidback quality way more in promotional material than I have actually in his films, which is a shame.

Bond isn't a role like other roles. The bond "role" ends up blending with the actor, and takes on a life of its own. Moore is naturally self-deprecating, so his films veered into parody, Brosnan was smooth, so his films took on a sleek sheen, Dalton was a thespian, so his Bond had a brooding intensity, etc. I've no doubt Turner would attempt to play up the dark intensity, just as both Moore and Brosnan did in the early years but he's not a very intensely dark person. Turner is an affable chap, by all accounts, that's a big strength in terms of onscreen charisma. I never found that Craig sold us on the idea that bond was having fun, and that we should want to go along with him for the ride. This is something Brosnan and Moore had in spades, of bringing the audience along. You need the right type of actor to sell that, and it is a skill, even if its not what you'd call the work of great thespians. Its still important, especially for Bond. Strangely enough, I've seen Craig demonstrate that laidback quality way more in promotional material than I have actually in his films, which is a shame.

I suppose the distinction is that all those other actors brought those qualities to their onscreen roles pre Bond. I haven’t seen Turner in a role that brings that out.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    That image doesn't tally with anything I've seen Turner do onscreen up until now. You say it's a role unlike any other, but I'd say Moore, Dalton and Brosnan all brought to it screen personas they'd established long before. If you'd seen Craig in other screen role before, although they were quite diverse, his Bond wouldn't have been a massive surprise. On the other hand I've never seen Turner playing this kind of light, humorous style you're talking about, although I'm not saying it's something he definitely can't do (this Rivals series may even be that).
    I mean, the initial impression I get is that if they wanted a more serious, brooding Bond, then Turner naturally might be a consideration amongst others. But they’ve never really approached casting Bond with that solely in mind, even with slightly darker portrayals like Dalton and Craig.