And the Bondie for inspired casting/under-rated performance for an actress...page 134

Comments

Bondie: TWINE
    Klebbie: DAD

Same here.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Bondie: TND
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    TWINE
    DAD
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    Bondie: GE
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    Elton John even hated Madonna for doing that Bond theme.
    For me, none of them rank, but with a Walther ppk to my head!...
    TWINE for the Bondie as I was a big fan of the group Garbage at the time!
    And of course DAD for the klebbie, as that IS garbage!
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited April 12 Posts: 13,944
    Bondie: GE

GE gets the Bondie because it has that slyness which, IMO, should pop up in every Bond film, somewhere. Or should I say, "Bondie because Tina Turner". TND & TWINE are decent themes - I was thrilled when Garbage got the gig, I had just bought Version 2.0 and was getting to know that album.

I don't dislike DAD but this era in general for Madonna wasn't my favourite - if she had done the Bond theme around the time of, say, Ray of Light, it would've sounded more traditionally Bondian. Something more down-tempo and brooding, like imagine if Madonna sung TWINE. The DAD remix is great; I miss the inclusion of a secondary theme...

And if one were to include the theme for Brosnan's 'fifth film':

I might rank Mya's Everything or Nothing over DAD. It's synthy and spy-like with a helluva lot of urgency.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited April 12 Posts: 14,980
    +GE
    -TWINE

All the others are trying to do something slightly original with the Bond song idea and give it a twist, whereas TWINE just feels like a slightly plodding pastiche of old Bond songs to me. The chorus melody also feels weirdly random to me, with notes going all over the place.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    GE is my favourite Bond song in general. A very good song with a very strong voice: the perfect Bond song.
    The other three are all in the lowest third of my ranking.
    TND is a bit boring: I don't like Crow's performance.
    I like DAD in combination with the title sequence and I think the beginning of the torture in combination with the first tunes of the song set a great atmosphere.
    DAD deserves the Klebbie but I don't listen to TND more often.
    DAD will be the loser anyway, which is why I give my Klebbie to the odd (bored?) voice from Crow.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    If I could pick Surrender for the Bondie I would, but as I cant I will go with Goldeneye.

Die Another Day for the Klebbie. I have no issues with Bond songs trying different genres or orchestrations (a rap style Bond song one day would be interesting) but lyrically its pretty dreadful, hence the Klebbie.
  • echoecho 007 in New York

None of the Brosnan film songs "pop" for me, though. Even the two best, TWINE and GE, feel pretty derivative.
    echo wrote: »

None of the Brosnan film songs "pop" for me, though. Even the two best, TWINE and GE, feel pretty derivative.

Agreed. I still say Garbage should have been allowed come up with the song themselves, they did have what it takes to make a bolder theme.
    Tina Turner was a great choice, but the song is very meh! I prefer her songs for Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome!
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited April 12 Posts: 8,037
    Surrender runs away with the Bondie if it's included. Unfortunately, that's one of the biggest mistakes of the Bond series for me.

I do quite enjoy both GE and TWINE. If I had to choose I'd give the Bondie to GoldenEye.

The Klebbie goes to TND for its dullness. Crowe also doesn't sound half-arsed singing it. DAD is not a series highlight by any means but it does have a bit of zip and life to it that TND simply does not have.

I don't really mind a song being derivative. Skyfall is as derivative as it gets in terms of its concept in that its based on the Bond theme itself, but it's got good lyrics and Adele knocks it out of the park with the performance. I don't really see any of the Brosnan songs as any less derivative than anything in the two decades before or the three decades since.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Surrender runs away with the Bondie if it's included. Unfortunately, that's one of the biggest mistakes of the Bond series for me.

I do quite enjoy both GE and TWINE. If I had to choose I'd give the Bondie to GoldenEye.

The Klebbie goes to TND for its dullness. Crowe also doesn't sound half-arsed singing it. DAD is not a series highlight by any means but it does have a bit of zip and life to it that TND simply does not have.

I don't really mind a song being derivative. Skyfall is as derivative as it gets in terms of its concept in that its based on the Bond theme itself, but it's got good lyrics and Adele knocks it out of the park with the performance. I don't really see any of the Brosnan songs as any less derivative than anything in the two decades before or the three decades since.

Good post @CraigMooreOHMSS ... I very much feel the same as you...
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

I do enjoy TND but what a shame 'Surrender' wasn't selected over it. Such a phenomenal track.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Time to flap to the stage and announce our winner and loser.

The Bondie for best song in a Pierce Brosnan film is Goldeneye from Goldeneye. Accepting the award is Edge and Bono!

The Klebbie for worst song in a Pierce Brosnan film is Die Another Day from Die Another Day Accepting the award is Madonna, I hope she gets the thrust of it.

The voting was interesting. Three songs getting Bondie votes, GE, TND and TWINE all garnering votes. The Klebbie also had three songs getting votes DAD, TND and TWINE. GE didn't get any Klebbie votes and DAD didn't get any Bondie love.

Okay lets shake back to the 70's and 80's and take a look at Roger Moore theme songs.

Our nominees are:
    • Live and Let Die from the film Live and Let Die
    • The Man With the Golden Gun from the film of the same name
    • Nobody Does It Better from The Spy Who Loved Me
    • Moonraker from the film Moonraker
    • For Your Eyes Only from the film of the same name
    • All Time High from Octopussy
    • A View To A Kill from the film of the same name.

This is a huge category with 7 nominees to choose from! Which way will the academy go. We have rock, middle of the road. We have slow songs, we have up-tempo. Who gets your vote for Bondie, who gets the kick in the shins for the Klebbie?
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Bondie: LALD (closely followed, in no particular order, by NDIB and MR)
    Klebbie: TMWTGG
    Bondie : LALD

Klebbie : All Time High.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Bondie: MR (used to be LALD for my favorite in the series but MR just blows me away every time now)

• Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    LALD- Bondie
    FYEO- Klebbie. Absolute hot garbage
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    Bondie: MR
    Klebbie: FYEO

I'm delighted to see I'm the second vote for Moonraker!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    + AVTAK
    - All Time High
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Neck and neck, but, at the last moment, AVTAK for the Blondie... and... I really don't want to give a Klebbie. The majority of these songs came out as I was growing up, and, although I couldn't stand the first two songsfrom the 80s films, as an adult, I have very fond memories of them. My cold, young heart, has softened with age...

But, with a gun to my head... Klebbie goes to... An All Time High, I guess.... 😢
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Blondie: LALD (of course I would!)
    Klebbie: TMWTGG, (None of the Moore era songs are bad per say, but I tend to skip over this one when playing my Spotify playlist.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited April 13 Posts: 13,944
    Debbie: AVTAK
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    LALD
    FYEO
    Nobody Does it Better is the best Moore theme song, and The Man With the Golden Gun is the weakest.

I think it was during the Moore era that the theme songs became more about modern pop, and less about big band/orchestrated sounds with singers with great voices. We lost a little bit of what made James Bond films feel a little more sophisticated I think.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Bondie: FYEO
    Klebbie: MR

I quite like all of them though.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Nobody Does it Better is the best Moore theme song, and The Man With the Golden Gun is the weakest.

I think it was during the Moore era that the theme songs became more about modern pop, and less about big band/orchestrated sounds with singers with great voices. We lost a little bit of what made James Bond films feel a little more sophisticated I think.

+1
    I too quite like all of them with a soft spot particularly for 'All Time High'
    Bondie for me is definitely 'LALD' still the most punchy theme until 'YKMN'
    Klebbie probaly 'TMWTGG'