Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    You cannot take these actors who are famous and very popular internationally, but above all actors who are known and who are linked to another character.

I don't know why you guys keep mentioning Henry Cavill, Tom Hiddleston and Tom Hardy. :-S Superman, Loki and Venom!!

If you are a Bond Fan and you know the history of how the actor's choice has been, then you should not think about them.

;)

I know this is generally how it works but my question is always: why? Maybe it's something apparent that I'm overlooking but I really can't understand the logic behind it.

I wonder if it is because the producers worry that the franchise might be perceived as merely the latest vehicle for the star, rather than Bond being bigger than the actor?
  • Informe_James_BondInforme_James_Bond Dominican Republic
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I know this is generally how it works but my question is always: why? Maybe it's something apparent that I'm overlooking but I really can't understand the logic behind it.

Plain and simple. The Broccoli's don't need a popular actor to make their character famous. They make the actor famous with his character. It has always been like that.

:)>-
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Oh they definitely don't need one, but that shouldn't preclude them from possibly casting someone just because they were in a major property or played a well-established character previously.

Having said that, there's clearly enough younger talent out there that they'd never need to feel forced to get a top A-lister in the role. Plus, I'm sure they save a ton by casting someone not as established. That was the only reasoning that came to my mind initially on the issue.
  • buddyoldchapbuddyoldchap Formerly known as JeremyBondon
    edited April 12 Posts: 155
    Barbara, Michael, this man isn't too old. He's in the prime of his life:

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited April 12 Posts: 8,090
    Grab Aidan Turner, Martin Campbell, David Arnold and let's get this show on the road! B-)
    Grab Aidan Turner, Martin Campbell, David Arnold and let's get this show on the road! B-)

Exactly, he's like Pierce, high spirited and a good laugh. No Zoolander face like ATJ...
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring

Exactly, he's like Pierce, high spirited and a good laugh. No Zoolander face like ATJ...

Well, I've always kind of considered Pierce to be the Zoolander Bond:

Screenshot-3130.png
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    It won’t be Aidan Turner old boy, it won’t be Taylor-Johnson either, however a….

Well, I've always kind of considered Pierce to be the Zoolander Bond:

Screenshot-3130.png

That's just Pierce his bad ass face

giphy-8.gif?w=840

@Benny We'll see about that 😏
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited April 12 Posts: 2,932
    Looking at that photo of Aidan Turner, it's still hard to envisage a scenario in which Cubby wouldn't have hired him by now. At 40, future AI's likely to be Turner's best bet now, though. Maybe one day AI will create that accurate b/w Moonraker, set in 1955, with the images of Aidan Turner and Lily James as Bond and Gala Brand. Future Bond fans, I envy you.
  • TheSkyfallen06TheSkyfallen06 Buenos Aires, Argentina.
    Venutius wrote: »
    Looking at that photo of Aidan Turner, it's still hard to envisage a scenario in which Cubby wouldn't have hired him by now. At 40, future AI's likely to be Turner's best bet now, though. Maybe one day AI will create that accurate b/w Moonraker, set in 1955, with the images of Aidan Turner and Lily James as Bond and Gala Brand. Future Bond fans, I envy you.

Eh... no thanks. For me, at least.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Looking at that photo of Aidan Turner, it's still hard to envisage a scenario in which Cubby wouldn't have hired him by now.

Cubby didn't want this guy, and yet he did hire Lazenby: I'm not sure he was always right about everything.

s-l1600.jpg
    Sam Neill looked like a regular guy. I don't buy him as Bond. I can understand Cubby.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    mtm wrote: »
    Looking at that photo of Aidan Turner, it's still hard to envisage a scenario in which Cubby wouldn't have hired him by now.

Cubby didn't want this guy, and yet he did hire Lazenby: I'm not sure he was always right about everything.

s-l1600.jpg

I agree @mtm Neill's screentest was good. He would have played Bond with a really cool demeanour.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Sam Neill looked like a regular guy. I don't buy him as Bond. I can understand Cubby.

Makes sense, I mean, you’re like a kindred spirit to Cubby… i honestly wouldn’t be surprised if his ghost speaks to you about the state of EoN and where it should go next.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    peter wrote: »

Makes sense, I mean, you’re like a kindred spirit to Cubby… i honestly wouldn’t be surprised if his ghost speaks to you about the state of EoN and where it should go next.

Well the name James Bond appealed to Fleming because it was ordinary; I do understand that something different is needed for a cinematic version.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    talos7 wrote: »
    peter wrote: »

Well the name James Bond appealed to Fleming because it was ordinary; I do understand that something different is needed for a cinematic version.

I thought Sam Neil’s audition was pretty strong. I understand he himself, didn’t like what he did, but he seemingly was a strong candidate from what I saw. He’s got intense eyes and he’s a strong actor.

As Bond, he wouldn’t have looked nor acted like the straight ho-hum guy from Jurassic Park.
  • edited April 12 Posts: 2,911

s-l1600.jpg

I do get the sense Lazenby may have been the best out of a weak lot. I mean, just look at the actors who made the final five…

being-007-james-bond-01-1024x820.jpg

Some are sort of recognisable - John Richardson seemed to do a lot of Italian Horror films which even I recognise him from - but apart from that none of the alternatives seemed to go on and have significant careers as leading men that one would expect from Bond contenders (one of them, Robert Campbell, I can find nothing on). Lazenby may well have been the candidate who best fitted the part despite his limitations, and it may well have been a good choice on Cubby's part (potentially anyway).
  • edited April 13 Posts: 9,771
    https://m.imdb.com/news/ni64528147/

This is the most misleading article period
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    Risico007 wrote: »
    https://m.imdb.com/news/ni64528147/

This is the most misleading article period

When you click on the link on IMDb you find that they have had to change its deliberately very misleading title! Clickbait titles are the worst.
    007HallY wrote: »

s-l1600.jpg

I do get the sense Lazenby may have been the best out of a weak lot. I mean, just look at the actors who made the final five…

being-007-james-bond-01-1024x820.jpg

Some are sort of recognisable - John Richardson seemed to do a lot of Italian Horror films which even I recognise him from - but apart from that none of the alternatives seemed to go on and have significant careers as leading men that one would expect from Bond contenders (one of them, Robert Campbell, I can find nothing on). Lazenby may well have been the candidate who best fitted the part despite his limitations, and it may well have been a good choice on Cubby's part (potentially anyway).

Even the Harry Palmer movies had Michael Caine.

You can't create Connerys or Caines.
    I’m watching “The Night Manager “ for the first time and really enjoying it. I must say though, it confirms my doubts about Hiddleston as a potential Bond; he’s just missing a certain “ it” factor for me.

With that said, my girlfriend could not disagree more and thinks he would be perfect. Humph, what does she know… 😏
    I’m watching “The Night Manager “ for the first time and really enjoying it. I must say though, it confirms my doubts about Hiddleston as a potential Bond; he’s just missing a certain “ it” factor for me.

With that said, my girlfriend could not disagree more and thinks he would be perfect. Humph, what does she know… 😏

Don't take this personally, but you set it up so well. It's a pass as I approach the goal and the defense is turned the other way, so, let's just get this done, shall we ?

Yes, what DOES she know of attractive men ? She's with you, after all, so her judgment rather obviously is suspect.

OK, there, done. Too wordy, though, eh ? I am concerned that were it too brief, the point might be lost, even though you pretty much stated the joke yourself. But:

Indeed. Her views are suspect, after all, she's with you.

Better briefer ? I think, actually, you not only set it up, but you made the joke yourself, so that's that.
    Since62 wrote: »

Don't take this personally, but you set it up so well. It's a pass as I approach the goal and the defense is turned the other way, so, let's just get this done, shall we ?

Yes, what DOES she know of attractive men ? She's with you, after all, so her judgment rather obviously is suspect.

OK, there, done. Too wordy, though, eh ? I am concerned that were it too brief, the point might be lost, even though you pretty much stated the joke yourself. But:

Indeed. Her views are suspect, after all, she's with you.

Better briefer ? I think, actually, you not only set it up, but you made the joke yourself, so that's that.

Pssst, that was the point; my reaction to her opinion could not more clearly be in jest.

But thanks for so much effort into pointing out the obvious.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I've never understood Hiddleston's hype for Bond, he just doesn't seem convincing when he's trying to be tough. I think he's a good actor, just not right for Bond, in my opinion

Yep. Aidan Turner would be PERFECT as the villain's Sicilian mobster henchman!

Yep. Aidan Turner would be PERFECT as the villain's Sicilian mobster henchman!

These exchanges over the suitability of Aidan Turner for the part have been funnier and more entertaining than many a production, comedy or otherwise !
    Not as funny as when people recommend Richard Madden, Nicholas Hoult or Aaron Taylor-Johnson for the part, mind you - those are so funny !
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    After pages and pages of this, I must ask:

Who is Aidan Turner?