Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    talos7 wrote: »

Hmm. I'd be happy with him. This is more like it.
    I’m sticking with my gut that we’re going to get someone relatively unknown, at the very least a non-household name.
    edited April 10 Posts: 7,981
    If you watch the video, they present a good argument as to why Theo James currently at the right level of fame and public awareness.

If they want to go with someone with a lesser profile, Leo Suter fits the bill
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I think Bond actors need a certain uniqueness to their look, and Cavill, Suter, James just look like "non-descript attractive man" to me. As much as I don't like his films, even Craig had a distinct look, and to me Aidan Turner has that. He has an aura about him not a lot of the current crop seems to have.
    I think Bond actors need a certain uniqueness to their look, and Cavill, Suter, James just look like "non-descript attractive man" to me. As much as I don't like his films, even Craig had a distinct look, and to me Aidan Turner has that. He has an aura about him not a lot of the current crop seems to have.

I like A. Turner quite a bit, but find him no more unique than the others you listed; visually they all would be excellent for Bond.

well, Moore and Brosnan had a "male model" look.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    edited April 10 Posts: 1,432
    Not trying to upset anyone, just highlighting that Hennessey has tipped British actor Damson Idris as a model/spokesperson. Seems like the past few years have been spent trying to "launch" Damson as a hot commodity or rising star, so I'm just putting it on the radar that he's a potential non-white actor they might look at one day, if they are casting a wide net for a new Bond. Seems slim chances to be honest just throwing it out there. I like his look but he doesn't quite sell me on the "man" that should be Bond. Maybe if he beefed up. But he has an overall softness or lack of an edge to me.

CVS_Damnson_Idris_CVS_Essence_Watermarked7.png?width=800

Good profile here: https://www.essence.com/cover-stories/damson-idris-is-a-man-of-mystery/
  • peterpeter Toronto
    LucknFate wrote: »
    Not trying to upset anyone, just highlighting that Hennessey has tipped British actor Damson Idris as a model/spokesperson. Seems like the past few years have been spent trying to "launch" Damson as a hot commodity or rising star, so I'm just putting it on the radar that he's a potential non-white actor they might look at one day, if they are casting a wide net for a new Bond. Seems slim chances to be honest just throwing it out there. I like his look but he doesn't quite sell me on the "man" that should be Bond. Maybe if he beefed up. But he has an overall softness or lack of an edge to me.

Good profile here: https://www.essence.com/cover-stories/damson-idris-is-a-man-of-mystery/

Agree with you @LucknFate , there’s something soft. Even if he bulked, I can’t see that lack of edge changing. He seems like he’s too nice, and Bond needs a nice bit of a bastard through his character…
  • peterpeter Toronto
    peter wrote: »

Agree with you @LucknFate , there’s something soft. Even if he bulked, I can’t see that lack of edge changing. He seems like he’s too nice, and Bond needs a nice bit of a bastard through his character…

EDIT: I’ve been back and forth on Theo James. I really enjoy him, but I wondered about his range.

And then I had to put pause on that, since I’m assuming that I know what kind of “ranges” would be needed in the next era of Bond— which i obviously don’t.

And finally I rewatched the last two episodes of The Gentlemen, and what I find appealing with James is that he’s totally in control which lends to a suaveness. He has proper edge, but even then, it’s like a tool in his tool box.

He’s one helluva cool customer.

So, I guess I’m swinging back as one who would like his casting… good shout @talos7
  • edited April 10 Posts: 3,279
    ToTheRight wrote: »

Hmm. I'd be happy with him. This is more like it.

If there is a God up there, this will be the next James Bond. I think most fans would be on board with this choice, as would the general public.

He has the right looks, swagger, VOICE (difficult one these days), toughness, charisma and able to handle comedy just as well too. He has the full package, and even evokes a bit of Connery.

Right now Theo James is my number 1 candidate.

EDIT: I’ve been back and forth on Theo James. I really enjoy him, but I wondered about his range.

And then I had to put pause on that, since I’m assuming that I know what kind of “ranges” would be needed in the next era of Bond— which i obviously don’t.

And finally I rewatched the last two episodes of The Gentlemen, and what I find appealing with James is that he’s totally in control which lends to a suaveness. He has proper edge, but even then, it’s like a tool in his tool box.

He’s one helluva cool customer.

So, I guess I’m swinging back as one who would like his casting… good shout @talos7

Welcome to the club! B-)
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Turner (Aidan) has that something, even ATJ has that something. But a lot of these other guys, I just don't see it.
    Turner (Aidan) has that something, even ATJ has that something. But a lot of these other guys, I just don't see it.

Just because you don’t see it doesn’t mean it’s not there. It baffles me that anyone sees, or hears, any potential in ATJ, but hey to each his own.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @jetsetwilly and @talos7 , I just watched half of the video you posted above.

I seriously can't argue any of their points, and I'll go back to the thing I liked most about James in THE GENTLEMEN: his absolute control... an icy, confident control.

I also enjoyed his quips as being drier than tree bark at the peak of summer.

One stumbling block is that he appears to be sincerely reluctant when asked about Bond Or,is he playing the game?

At this point there is no way he isn’t on EoN’s radar.
    I'm sure the producers at EON know of him. But he may well not be what they're looking for. He might also be. It really depends.

I don't think he's interested though. There's really no game to play at this point.
    There is always a game afoot, even once cast.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    007HallY wrote: »
    I'm sure the producers at EON know of him. But he may well not be what they're looking for. He might also be. It really depends.

I don't think he's interested though. There's really no game to play at this point.

That's one of the more exciting elements of the early days of a new era for me: we really have no idea what EON and co. are after next time, which means we don't have a clue what sort of actor they're searching for. It's gonna be really interesting to see who's inevitably selected and what they may suggest about what's to come.
    There is always a game afoot, even once cast.

Like what? Seems straightforward at this point. An actor says they're reluctant or outright don't want to do it, there's no reason for them not to say that to interviewers if it's not true. Maybe EON do want him and they approach him privately/offer him the role (as in to audition), and maybe they try to convince him if they really want him, but it's really that straightforward. They're not campaigning to be PM, it's a movie role.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    007HallY wrote: »

That's one of the more exciting elements of the early days of a new era for me: we really have no idea what EON and co. are after next time, which means we don't have a clue what sort of actor they're searching for. It's gonna be really interesting to see who's inevitably selected and what they may suggest about what's to come.

Exactly. There's so many possibilities at this point.
    If they want Theo James they should hurry up.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    One stumbling block is that he appears to be sincerely reluctant when asked about Bond Or,is he playing the game?

At this point there is no way he isn’t on EoN’s radar.

My feeling is, Bond must be such a wild fantasy for many young Brit actors. A lovely fantasy that was born from the same land they were born from.

But as these actor raise their profiles, they get a taste of fame, the media, fan obsessions and the disappearance of privacy. And James Bond is all of these things but on an out-of-this world stage.

These actors like James, actors who have been successful, and who have had a taste of genuine fame, must look at how this gets even more crazy in the universe of 007, and I think they must see the James Bond gig as not being so glamorous anymore.

It would be a difficult job to take on Bond. It will most definitely interfere with your private and family life, the media will be omnipresent, with some of them waiting for you to screw up, fan obsession would grow to new heights, it may interfere with other roles you’d want to play…. It’s a true commitment.

And that’s why I think Broccoli and Company had no choice but to bring Craig in on creative decisions, and she will have no choice but to slowly do the same thing with the next guy, and the guy after that, and the guy after that. If the lead actor has a creative say, it brings back value (that money and notoriety couldn’t).

So yes, I tend to believe Theo James. I don’t think he’s playing coy. I think he would have reservations. But if EoN sweetens the pot and gives him some creative say….. that could change any actor. How about you @talos7 ? Is he playing coy? Or is he genuine?

Another thing about James: he’s a man rocket. The girls and women in my life drool over him, and I was impressed with his looks and how he wears the clothes. He has a very strong sex appeal layered with a classically strong and handsome face (and yes, his voice is incredible). I’m sure he’d titilate the female audiences as well as gay men, and straight men would look at him and think, “damn, I gotta get better ( 😂 )”….
    I was sold on Theo James as Bond exclusively because of The White Lotus, though it sounds like he's at his most Bondian and ultra suave and cool in The Gentlemen, so I really need to get around to it soon.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I was sold on Theo James as Bond exclusively because of The White Lotus, though it sounds like he's at his most Bondian and ultra suave and cool in The Gentlemen, so I really need to get around to it soon.

Apart from James, the series is entertaining, with great eccentric characters . Doesn’t have quite the flow of an actual Guy Ritchie film (no matter his faults as a filmmaker, pacing isn’t one of them), and I did note a slight, slight, slight drop off after he directs the first two episodes, but it hit its stride again (for me), from episodes 6-8.

Apart from James, the series is entertaining, with great eccentric characters . Doesn’t have quite the flow of an actual Guy Ritchie film (no matter his faults as a filmmaker, pacing isn’t one of them), and I did note a slight, slight, slight drop off after he directs the first two episodes, but it hit its stride again (for me), from episodes 6-8.

That's awesome to hear. I knew I had read he'd direct some of them, so I wondered how the inherent quality drop-off (or lack thereof) might be with the later episodes.
  • peterpeter Toronto

EDIT: this was written a couple days ago:

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/the-gentlemen-season-2-netflix-cast-b2524950.html

I’d keep an eye on renewal (I’d have thought it was a no-brainer because of series one’s success). And once/if it gets renewed for how many seasons, and when it starts shooting.

At least reading James quotes, he certainly wants at least one more season…

edited April 10 Posts: 40,486
    It feels like a rare feat to see anything get a renewal over at Netflix these days, so that'll be nice. That's another subconscious reason I think I've yet to start it: those guys cancel just about everything anymore and I'm so tired of wasting my time finding new favorites that don't get the proper conclusion they deserve.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited April 10 Posts: 2,932
    I'd be in a bit of a quandary if Theo James got the gig, tbh. The thing that one of those guys says in the podcast about watching him in White Lotus and thinking 'wow, I really hate this guy'? I get that every time I see him, no matter what he's in. Only James Corden triggers more immediate and deep loathing - that's how bad it is. So I'm way too biased and I'm staying out of this one! Anyway, his eyes are too close together... ;)
    Venutius wrote: »
    I'd be in a bit of a quandary if Theo James got the gig, tbh. The thing that one of those guys says in the podcast about watching him in White Lotus and thinking 'wow, I really hate this guy'? I get that every time I see him, no matter what he's in. Only James Corden triggers more immediate and deep loathing - that's how bad it is. So I'm way too biased and I'm staying out of this one! Anyway, his eyes are too close together... ;)

While I really like Theo, you and I couldn't be more aligned in this fervent, deep loathing and utter, irreversible hatred of all things James Corden.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    :D Yeah, Corden proves that hate at first sight is a real thing, eh!