What Directors Should Helm A Bond Film?

Comments

007HallY wrote: »
    The great thing about Bond as a film series is that it’s a big enough franchise to build up anticipation on its own. It really doesn’t need a Villeneuve, Nolan, or a Wright (at least for publicity, and even creatively is debatable). Also, what some have to understand is everyone on these forums cares far more about these names than the average viewer. There are many people - the majority of whom will go and see the next Bond film in cinemas - who don’t know specifically who any of these directors are (their films yes, but not necessarily the director). A good chunk don’t care who they are and don’t often see a film based on who the director is. I can’t see any of these directors bringing more or indeed less people to see Bond 26 should they helm it. There are so many other factors.

EON will try and find the best director available to them. I’m sure there are many lesser known names who could potentially be great, and perhaps outright better for the job. Like a hypothetical candidate for Bond we don’t see what goes on behind the scenes that leads to them getting the job - what their ideas are, how well they understand Bond/this specific story etc.

I do understand disliking certain directors, but I’m not sure if that alone would make me not go to see a certain Bond film. Why a director who one isn’t interested in would outweigh a fan’s love of the character/hope to see a film they love (or essentially lead to them not wanting to watch the film), is beyond me and seems a miserable way to approach films.

Well, the "best" is not the right word. I mean.. they didn't hire Spielberg after all.
  • edited April 9 Posts: 2,952
    The great thing about Bond as a film series is that it’s a big enough franchise to build up anticipation on its own. It really doesn’t need a Villeneuve, Nolan, or a Wright (at least for publicity, and even creatively is debatable). Also, what some have to understand is everyone on these forums cares far more about these names than the average viewer. There are many people - the majority of whom will go and see the next Bond film in cinemas - who don’t know specifically who any of these directors are (their films yes, but not necessarily the director). A good chunk don’t care who they are and don’t often see a film based on who the director is. I can’t see any of these directors bringing more or indeed less people to see Bond 26 should they helm it. There are so many other factors.

EON will try and find the best director available to them. I’m sure there are many lesser known names who could potentially be great, and perhaps outright better for the job. Like a hypothetical candidate for Bond we don’t see what goes on behind the scenes that leads to them getting the job - what their ideas are, how well they understand Bond/this specific story etc.

I do understand disliking certain directors, but I’m not sure if that alone would make me not go to see a certain Bond film. Why a director who one isn’t interested in would outweigh a fan’s love of the character/hope to see a film they love (or essentially lead to them not wanting to watch the film), is beyond me and seems a miserable way to approach films.

Well, the "best" is not the right word. I mean.. they didn't hire Spielberg after all.

I don’t think Spielberg was ever available to them (not with the budgets they worked with in the 80s anyway). And you can argue Spielberg might not be the best (or most suitable) director to helm a Bond film.

So I suppose I mean the best director for the film (and even dependent on the specific Bond film they want to make that answer can differ).

I don’t think Spielberg was ever available to them (not with the budgets they worked with in the 80s anyway). And you can argue Spielberg might not be the best (or most suitable) director to helm a Bond film.

So I suppose I mean the best director for the film (and even dependent on the specific Bond film they want to make that answer can differ).

Riders of the lost ark was cheaper than For your eyes only.

Anyway, these producers are very conservative.
    @Mendes4Lyfe Nolan isn’t directing the Prisoner remake next. A single site simply speculated that he might resurrect that long abandoned project next and other sites interpreted as them having some insider information about it.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    @Mendes4Lyfe Nolan isn’t directing the Prisoner remake next. A single site simply speculated that he might resurrect that long abandoned project next and other sites interpreted as them having some insider information about it.

Hmm, interesting.

It's not about the budget overall but simply where they chose to spend the money they had. You have to understand this was just after Heaven's Gate (a notorious and very expensive flop) and from what I understand a particularly bad time financially anyway for United Artists. They couldn't even afford any of the previous Bond directors, and it's why Glen was promoted. Likely he was more reliable just on a practical level than Spielberg or any of these other directors anyway, so it's not a stupid thing to have done. It doesn't seem an overly conservative decision either as Glen was a first time director, albeit one with a lot of experience in second unit and editing work. Just seems like a practical risk given the circumstances.

I suppose Spielberg could have been hired within a '76-80 timeframe but even then I don't know whether he would have been available, if he was experienced enough to have handled something like TSWLM, or if he was a reliable choice.
  • edited April 9 Posts: 725

It's not about the budget overall but simply where they chose to spend the money they had. You have to understand this was just after Heaven's Gate (a notorious and very expensive flop) and from what I understand a particularly bad time financially anyway for United Artists. They couldn't even afford any of the previous Bond directors, and it's why Glen was promoted. Likely he was more reliable just on a practical level than Spielberg or any of these other directors anyway, so it's not a stupid thing to have done. It doesn't seem an overly conservative decision either as Glen was a first time director, albeit one with a lot of experience in second unit and editing work. Just seems like a practical risk given the circumstances.

I suppose Spielberg could have been hired within a '76-80 timeframe but even then I don't know whether he would have been available, if he was experienced enough to have handled something like TSWLM, or if he was a reliable choice.

But "appropriate" doesn't mean the best.

And Spielberg...yes, he could make that movie. Was it a risk? well that's why the producers are/were conservative. They didn't want to take that risk.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    As I understand it, Spielberg approached Broccoli after Jaws and was told he just wasn't right; after Close Encounters Spielberg tried again, but he says he was too expensive. I believe he actually met Roger Moore after Duel had become a hit, way back at the start of his career, and expressed a wish to shoot a Bond film to Moore, and Moore was keen and asked Cubby, who said Spielberg was too inexperienced.

A Spielberg Bond film might well have meant we didn't get Raiders, at least in the form we know it now, and I wouldn't have wanted that, so I'm not sure it's such a great loss.

And Spielberg...yes, he could make that movie. Was it a risk? well that's why the producers are/were conservative. They didn't want to take that risk.

Ok… out of curiosity then how would you define who ‘the best director’ is for a Bond film? Because it’s not necessarily the most critically acclaimed or the biggest name, or even the up and comer with one hugely successful film under their belt. There’s more to it than that, and most of it we don’t know. That’s all I’m saying.

Same for how producers approach certain decisions. You can argue everything they do is a risk, and it's certainly not a case where EON have never taken them. But other times sometimes a risk is simply not worth taking or not the best option, even with the most ambitious of producers. It's just about weighing up those decisions. I'm not even sure if Spielberg would have been available for TSWLM, and he had a film out the same year as MR. Sometimes it's a case where schedules don't fit, and waiting for even a desired director would cause problems. If that's not the case there may have been other factors as to why Spielberg wasn't picked (if he was considered - I really don't know one way or the other). It may not have been worth flying out an American director to work on a British production (in terms of practicality, cost, how well he'd be able to work on this specific production etc). Maybe he just wasn't the most suited to these specific films in the producer's eyes due to his level of experience or the previous films he'd made, which makes absolute sense. If anything it's easier to understand why Lewis Gilbert was hired for TSWLM and MR. As I said beyond that point even if they wanted him they obviously had to make certain financial choices due to the circumstances.

Basically all I'm saying is deciding who the best director is or saying the producers are always 'conservative' in their decisions isn't as black and white as you're making out.
    As I understand it, Spielberg approached Broccoli after Jaws and was told he just wasn't right; after Close Encounters Spielberg tried again, but he says he was too expensive. I believe he actually met Roger Moore after Duel had become a hit, way back at the start of his career, and expressed a wish to shoot a Bond film to Moore, and Moore was keen and asked Cubby, who said Spielberg was too inexperienced.

A Spielberg Bond film might well have meant we didn't get Raiders, at least in the form we know it now, and I wouldn't have wanted that, so I'm not sure it's such a great loss.

Makes sense. I suspect there was more to it in Cubby's eyes, but it was obviously not a risk he thought worth making. And yes, it's very much for the better we got Raiders I think.
    edited April 9 Posts: 8,112
    I wonder if bringing Nolan on board might lead to the first Summer Bond flick since LTK?

July 2026, that's a couple months shy of 5 years since NTTD. Makes sense.

Ok… out of curiosity then how would you define who ‘the best director’ is for a Bond film? Because it’s not necessarily the most critically acclaimed or the biggest name, or even the up and comer with one hugely successful film under their belt. There’s more to it than that, and most of it we don’t know. That’s all I’m saying.

Same for how producers approach certain decisions. You can argue everything they do is a risk, and it's certainly not a case where EON have never taken them. But other times sometimes a risk is simply not worth taking or not the best option, even with the most ambitious of producers. It's just about weighing up those decisions. I'm not even sure if Spielberg would have been available for TSWLM, and he had a film out the same year as MR. Sometimes it's a case where schedules don't fit, and waiting for even a desired director would cause problems. If that's not the case there may have been other factors as to why Spielberg wasn't picked (if he was considered - I really don't know one way or the other). It may not have been worth flying out an American director to work on a British production (in terms of practicality, cost, how well he'd be able to work on this specific production etc). Maybe he just wasn't the most suited to these specific films in the producer's eyes due to his level of experience or the previous films he'd made, which makes absolute sense. If anything it's easier to understand why Lewis Gilbert was hired for TSWLM and MR. As I said beyond that point even if they wanted him they obviously had to make certain financial choices due to the circumstances.

Basically all I'm saying is deciding who the best director is or saying the producers are always 'conservative' in their decisions isn't as black and white as you're making out.

Makes sense. I suspect there was more to it in Cubby's eyes, but it was obviously not a risk he thought worth making. And yes, it's very much for the better we got Raiders I think.

I know it's not black and white. It's my point after all. It's not the best available. Maybe they want a guy who won't give them problems.

I know it's not black and white. It's my point after all. It's not the best available. Maybe they want a guy who won't give them problems.

... or maybe that hypothetical director who won't 'give them problems' (whatever that means) is the best available director for that particular Bond film... Again, how would any of us know?
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I wonder if bringing Nolan on board might lead to the first Summer Bond flick since LTK?

July 2026, that's a couple months shy of 5 years since NTTD. Makes sense.

I've said it once, I'll say it again, for those speculating that Nolan or Villeneuve will direct the next Bond film, should prepare themselves for disappointment.
    Whilst Villeneuve was approached to helm NTTD, his schedule prohibited it, and will likely do so again.
    As to a Bond film coming in 2025, 2026...I'm not sure where these dates are coming from. Thin air.
    EON have been rather clear on the status of Bond 26. All of these dates are just wishful thinking for now.
    I’m pretty sure @Mendes4Lyfe writes stuff off the top of his head based on what rumour or interest in director happens to be hottest on these forums, or indeed what thought thread he happens to have. It’s more like riffing than trying to figure something out. Perhaps it’s wishful thinking, I dunno. Potentially his guesses or opinions can contradict each other or be a bit vague/unformed, and they do sometimes change from day to day. I’m sure within that there’ll be one or two details (potentially minor) which might in hindsight turn out to be the case, but amongst hundreds of posts.

By the way that’s not me trying to have a go, just explains some of these posts. I’m sure I’ve done similar. I think the best practice is to wait for something definitive to be announced before getting excited though.
    Happily my first choice is Edgar Wright and has been for a long time. My second choice switches, but right now I'd say Martin Campbell.

I like Edgar Wright because he has that thing that underrated director Guy Hamilton had, of setting up and paying off the audience. Everything in Goldfinger is structure and paced to be constantly paying off the audience, and efficiently setting up things in the background that will come back a few scenes later. When you look at a film like Hot Fuzz, it's basically the same philosophy. Everything in that film is foreshadowed and timed to perfection, and that's what we need to see a return to with modern bond films. That's the missing puzzle peice, at least IMO. But you won't get that with dramatists or the types of directors they've been hiring since Casino, who are all cut from a similar clothe. Keep hiring the same people, don't be shocked when they give you the same results, that's just how business works. Films need to evolve, and that means CHANGING the way you do things, taking on different philosophies and new approaches. It seems to me like we need some boldness again in the series, and don't be afraid to lean into pure escapism. Its not expensive or difficult to pull off, you just need to look for people with the right sensibilities.
    How about Jalmari Helander? I haven't watched Sisu yet.
  • TheSkyfallen06TheSkyfallen06 Buenos Aires, Argentina.
    edited April 9 Posts: 991
    Don't know if this has been brought up already, but recently, Dennis Villeneuve has announced he's working on a "secret project" along other three right now, and if you look up his IMDb page, that project seems to have no name.
    g7jjc5c6yn0r.png
    This has led some to think he might be directing B26, any thoughts?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Don't know if this has been brought up already, but recently, Dennis Villeneuve has announced he's working on a "secret project" along other three right now, and if you look up his IMDb page, that project seems to have no name.
    g7jjc5c6yn0r.png

Look at his imdbpro page. Titles are all there. None are left untitled.
  • TheSkyfallen06TheSkyfallen06 Buenos Aires, Argentina.
    peter wrote: »
    g7jjc5c6yn0r.png

Huh, must've been an error then.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited April 9 Posts: 8,538
    peter wrote: »
    g7jjc5c6yn0r.png

Someone saw the same thing you did, a few pages back.

They went on the Pro version and posted it.

The free version on IMDb isn't as up to date.

The untitled project is a book that was optioned last Friday, that has attached Villeneuve as director.

To date, it doesn't have a cast, release dates, or a film script, and, as was reported when the news broke, it will be the film Villeneuve tackles AFTER D3: Messiah.

But, remember, @TheSkyfallen06 , he said he wants to make one film BEFORE D3... We are all waiting to see what that is, 😂.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    edited April 9 Posts: 1,381
    Suspicion increases among Bond fans when a director who loves Bond names a project "Secret". I would be surprised if that isn't Bond 26.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Suspicion increases among Bond fans when a director who loves Bond names a project "Secret". I would be surprised if that isn't Bond 26.

@SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ , this “secret project” on the free IMDb has been identified on IMDbpro— it’s the book that was optioned last Friday. It’s not Bond.

But, this project is to be shot AFTER D 3: Messiah… go back a page or so. It was discussed yesterday.
  • Informe_James_BondInforme_James_Bond Dominican Republic
    edited April 9 Posts: 81

No, It is not an error.

Simply that on IMDb Pro it has the name of the title.

denisss.jpg

;)

• peterpeter Toronto

No, It is not an error.

Simply that on IMDb Pro it has the name of the title.

denisss.jpg

;)

Thanks @Informe_James_Bond …!
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    But this does not include the mystery project that must see the light of day quickly, correct?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    talos7 wrote: »
    But this does not include the mystery project that must see the light of day quickly, correct?

Correct @talos7
    I really don't understand why some directors attach themselves to this many projects. Sure, attaching yourself to more than one makes sense, but FIVE projects?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I really don't understand why some directors attach themselves to this many projects. Sure, attaching yourself to more than one makes sense, but FIVE projects?

Lining up ducks, and hot streaks dont last forever, plus, in the film industry, most projects die in development hell. Seriously, in any given year, there are more projects stuck in development than get made. Take a look at the IMDbpro pages of producers. They could have 12, 15 or 20 projects in development (knowing that only three or four of them will cross the finish line!).

We are most certainly guaranteed D3. That’s a no brainer.

But the others may have millions spent on them in development and die two or three or five years later.

It’s the nature of the business.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    On the other hand, the one waiting in the shadows may have the stars align and make it to the big screen.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    talos7 wrote: »
    On the other hand, the one waiting in the shadows may have the stars align and make it to the big screen.

Agreed, sir…