Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (30th June 2023)

1190191192193194196»

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I mean, you can't really argue with what entails a box office bomb though. That doesn't mean its inherent quality or features are bad, as that's entirely subjective, but rather that it lost money at the box office, which this one clearly did. I've seen plenty of films that I wholeheartedly loved but would still admit they bombed, because they did.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited April 3 Posts: 14,980
    thedove wrote: »
    Sadly we live in a society where Box Office and Box Office alone seems to determine hit or miss. Sad we don't judge the film on it's merits.

That is what 'hit' means though: a hit song is one which goes to number one or scores high in the charts. I'm sure we all love lots of songs which weren't hits. I know what you're saying and I don't disagree, but I think it's okay that there is terminology for whether a film is a financial success or not.
  • edited April 3 Posts: 714
    thedove wrote: »
    My prediction is that the films that are trashed today will likely become a treasure tomorrow.

We put so much emphasis on Box Office and have these numbers that must be hit. Start with a story and go from there. Of course the film must be entertaining and must put butts in the seats. But to have these films considered "bombs" because people wouldn't see it in a theatre seems like we are missing the point.

I enjoyed Black Adam when I saw it. Not a perfect film but I thought it was entertaining. Many consider it a bomb because it failed at the Box Office.

I never saw Dial of Destiny, I don't have a burning desire to watch it. But I am comforted to know it is there if I am looking for a film to watch one day.

Kong X Godzilla out drew Dune Part 2 at the BO. Does this mean it's a better film? Nonsense, it just had more people come to the theatre to watch it.

Sadly we live in a society where Box Office and Box Office alone seems to determine hit or miss. Sad we don't judge the film on it's merits.

It's A Wonderful Life was a box office dud when it came out. Does this mean it's a bomb? No, it's a wonderful film that didn't find an audience when it was released. Shawshank Redemption was a box office bomb does that mean it's a lousy film? Most have it in their top film lists.

Rant over! LOL!

I don't think so. Many fans don't like NSNA and it was a near perfect comeback. It's very difficult to please fans of old movies.