Would you rather EON adapt the continuation novels OR continue to develop their own adventures?

Comments

I like this MR/DAD question, because I think they're both films cut from the same cloth, so to speak.

It's Moonraker for me. It feels more like a classic Bond movie, and it sounds better. It is what it is, whereas DAD feels like it tries to be something it's not, if that makes sense.
    MR.
    I like Roger Moore more, that's all.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    MR. It's Roger Moore's Thunderball. Moore just breezes through the film....and Barry's score, gosh!!! A top contender for best Bond score. Barry really goes ethereal, but still Bondian with it.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Both bottom tier films for me but what saves MR is the music and Lonsdale's performance as Drax, which is just delicious. The way he says "cucumber sandwich" makes it almost appealing, when cucumber sandwiches most definitely are not.

I'm glad we agree, @CraigMooreOHMSS. Cucumbers are the still water of vegetables. Boredom in a green jacket. ;-)

Wait 'till you get to the courgette!

anyway, as boring as I find Holly Goodhead, at least the film has plenty of redeeming features. It's just completely silly in a steady way, whereas DAD was supposd to be gritty and realistic and then wanders off in invisible-car-land, where they even need to make the car visible again just to have a bit of a chase. And obviously the CGI-ending is as bad as B-movies can get.

so,

MR
    For all its ridiculousness, I still like DAD. Brosnan's in it. He's the Bond that got me into Bond.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    For all its ridiculousness, I still like DAD. Brosnan's in it. He's the Bond that got me into Bond.

For me, the strengths always override the weaknesses in DOD. I'm able to have a blast with it now (and have for a long while - my first Bond film in theaters) without harking on all the bad as much.
    I have no doubt in my mind, if I had seen DAD first, I would never have become a James Bond fan!
    edited March 24 Posts: 1,368
    Creasy47 wrote: »

For me, the strengths always override the weaknesses in DOD. I'm able to have a blast with it now (and have for a long while - my first Bond film in theaters) without harking on all the bad as much.

Yeah, the film is too outlandish, but Brosnan's performance is really good in it. He brings back his confident TND style.

The thing is, if someone loves an actor, one can watch anything he's in. How else would I have watched a film like Grey Owl, if Brosnan wasn't in it.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Moonraker easily. But I'll always have a soft spot for DAD
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    It was a fun comparison as there are some similarities between the two flicks.

Okay lets have a fun one and see which one you would rather do:

Go fishing with Quarrel in Jamaica OR go fishing with Kissy in Japan?

This might be lopsided, but you can think more about the locale than the company. :)
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    "Fetch my shoes" vs "Fetch 200 ninjas"... I'll go with the ninjas.
    "I'm just looking", versus "I'm turning Japanese". LOL!

Something about big sea fishing in Jamaica sounds appealing, but then again in Japan the women do the diving while the men sit on the boat and wait. LOL!
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I'm not really interested in fishing, so I'm afraid I'll have to vote for Kissy after all.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Jamaica is beautiful, Japan is beautiful.

I think my appreciation of Quarrel is slightly above how much I enjoy Kissy as a character, so I think I'll have to go with Bond's oldest friend.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Jamaica is beautiful, Japan is beautiful.

I think my appreciation of Quarrel is slightly above how much I enjoy Kissy as a character, so I think I'll have to go with Bond's oldest friend.

Same here. I bet he's got loads of stories to tell. I'm not much of a fishing guy, but going out on a boat in the carribean with a local sounds very appealing to me.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City

Same here. I bet he's got loads of stories to tell. I'm not much of a fishing guy, but going out on a boat in the carribean with a local sounds very appealing to me.

But can Quarrel tell you about the time that King Kong picked him up? .... Thought Not! :))
    178b684300fac1b114d75a54e3eed1e4.jpg
    25c0f7660cdd7749e480d0fc89659d4c.jpg
    I'm going with Kissy here.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited March 25 Posts: 13,034
    Oh I've been deep sea fishing in the Pacific. Fishing for flathead (huge catfish) on the Kansas River several summers. Fishing for Salmon on a river near Seward Alaska (but didn't get out to sea for halibut to be honest). Ice fishing in Upstate New York growing up.

Those would not compare to fishing in the moonlight with Kissy.

Living in Japan I was able to witness a display of traditional cormorant fishing at Kintai on a river near Iwakuni on the main islands. [Also happens in China, Vietnam, etc.] A touristy thing but impressive it's done at nighttime with a burning lantern lighting the area around the boat.

To be on the open seas with Kissy would be the thrill of a lifetime. And I can assure you, my intentions are strictly honourable.

Kisokaido54_Godo.jpg
    10578716.jpg

210521014522YSFAdE1QM51gpmia.jpg

You Only Live Twice, Ian Fleming, 1964.
    'Who's David?' asked Bond, suddenly jealous at the thought that he would not be having this girl to himself.

'Wait and see.' She went back indoors and brought out the balsa wood tub and a great coil of fine quarter-inch rope. She handed the rope to Bond and hoisted the tub on her hip, leading the way along a small path away from the village. The path descended slowly to a small cove in which one rowing-boat, covered with dried reeds to protect it from the sun, was drawn high up on the flat black pebbles. Bond stripped off the reeds and laid them aside and hauled the simple, locally-made craft down to the sea. It was constructed of some heavy wood and lay low but stable in the deeply shelving, totally transparent water. He loaded in the rope and the wooden tub. Kissy had gone to the other side of the little bay and had undone a string from one of the rocks. She began winding it in slowly and at the same time uttering a low, cooing whistle. To Bond's astonishment, there was a flurry in the water of the bay and a big black cormorant shot like a bullet through the shallows and waddled up the beach to Kissy's feet, craning its neck up and down and hissing, apparently in anger. But Kissy bent down and stroked the creature on its plumed head and down the outstretched neck, at the same time talking to it gaily. She came towards the boat, winding up the long line, and the cormorant followed clumsily. It paid no attention to Bond, but jumped untidily over the side of the boat and scrambled on to the small thwart in the bows where it squatted majestically and proceeded to preen itself, running its long bill down and through its breast feathers and occasionally opening its wings to the full extent of their five-foot span and flapping them with gentle grace. Then, with a final shimmy through all its length, it settled down and gazed out to sea with its neck coiled backwards as if to strike and its turquoise eyes questing the horizon imperiously.

Kissy climbed into the boat and settled herself with her knees hunched decorously between Bond's outstretched legs, and Bond slid the heavy, narrow-bladed oars into their wooden rowlocks and began rowing at a powerful, even pace, more or less, under Kissy's direction, due north.

He had noticed that Kissy's line to the cormorant ended with a thin brass ring, perhaps two inches in diameter, round the base of the bird's neck. This would be one of the famous fishing cormorants of Japan. Bond asked her about it.

Kissy said, 'I found him as a baby three years ago. He had oil on his wings and I cleaned him and cared for him and had him ringed. The ring has had to be made larger as he grew up. Now, you see, he can swallow small fish, but the big ones he brings to the surface in his beak. He hands them over quite willingly and occasionally he gets a piece of a big one as a reward. He swims a lot by my side and keeps me company. It can be very lonely down there, particularly when the sea is dark. You will have to hold the end of the line and look after him when he comes to the surface. Today he will be hungry. He has not been out for three days because my father could not row the boat. I have been going out with friends. So it is lucky for him that you came to the island.'

'So this is David?'

'Yes. I named him after the only man I liked in Hollywood, an Englishman as it happens. He was called David Niven. He is a famous actor and producer. You have heard of him?'

'Of course. I shall enjoy tossing him a scrap or two of fish in exchange for the pleasure he has given me in his other incarnation.'

Z0aqYlxm_1508201129031gpadd.jpg
    62093b50b356b331adb99eaa53f87de42a3be967.gif
    6314mh.jpgimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcQh-nRzTvo_8diPNFp6pCrC3_szJJ7qFyzHo2qTP7olRNJc9L5p200w.gif?cid=6c09b952yp8onjijphcew7u45pmepkj9ezgga7capogt5rpl&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=200w.gif&ct=g
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    edited March 26 Posts: 2,626
    Great post @RichardTheBruce. One of my goals is to someday travel to Japan. About 20 years ago I had the opportunity but didn't do it. Something I've come to regret.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Oh you'll love it @Dwayne. Great food and people. Familiar landmarks.

Don't miss Tokyo Tower. But be careful out there.

tumblr_nsvqoyOMMY1s2jfn0o2_500.giftumblr_nsvqoyOMMY1s2jfn0o4_400.giftumblr_nsvqoyOMMY1s2jfn0o1_500.gif
    tumblr_nsvqoyOMMY1s2jfn0o5_400.gif
    edited March 28 Posts: 4,977
    Interesting thoughts about this one. I can see the assets of Japan and Kissy.

Okay, we've seen Bond's flat a few times in the series.

Would you rather Air BnB in the flat of Connery's Bond (DN) or in the Flat of Moore's Bond (LALD)?
    I'm going for Connery's.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    LALD. I dig his coffee machine.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited March 28 Posts: 8,505
    Agent_99 wrote: »

Not only do I dig the coffee machine, but it looks a tad softer and more cosy than Connery's flat. LALD for me too!
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Does this question include Sylvia or Miss Caruso?
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    peter wrote: »
    Agent_99 wrote: »

Not only do I dig the coffee machine, but it looks a tad softer and more cosy than Connery's flat. LALD for me too!

Moore's flat looks very cosy with the big bed, shag carpeting, and coffee machine. If it came with Ms Caruso too, then definitely. Plus the monogrammed dressing gown looks comfy af too.
    I love how Bond's flats in both films are absurdly big for places in London. They both look like houses.

LALD's looks nicer though. Very cosy and warm looking.
    It's a difficult choice, as we see a lot more of the apartment in LALD. It's more of a classic look, and I like the floor better in the Dr. No version. The added company in bith is very welcome as well. I'll go for Dr. No.
  • LALD; looks more spacious.
    One would have to hope there was instructions to the coffee maker for Moore's flat!

A few times the series has employed singers in key roles of the films.

Lets have some fun and see who you would rather watch in concert.

First up

Would you rather attend a Grace Jones concert or a Wayne Newton concert?

Grace was by one website "an imposing force who fused reggae, pop, and art rock."

Wayne was the king of lounge acts. Many will remember Danke Schoen in Ferris Buellers Day Off.

Which concert are you attending if you had to choose?
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Wayne Newton