Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

'Open Range' is a terrific western, Costner and Duvall are a marvellous team. My only gripe is the late great Michael Gambons Oirish villain. Despite this, well worth a watch, the final showdown is a cracker!
    Looking foward to Costners new one!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Open Range.

MV5BMTYyNjA4NTY3N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNjc0MDM3._V1_.jpg

If it were directed by Jessie V. Johnson or Isaac Florentine, then Roadhouse would have been a good opportunity to bring Scott Adkins to the mainstream. Oh well, maybe next time.

My deep dive into the career of Paul Naschy continues with...

Fury Of The Wolfman (1970)
    Wow.... that was.... a mess. An incoherent mess. I don't now what was worse; the film brining up the rule that says that Waldemar can only be killed by a silver bullet (fired from a gun by a woman that loves him), and then ignores this, or the shots of the obviously not Paul Naschy, in wolfman costume, walking around like he is on a night time stroll. When Waldemar turn into his wolf form, Naschy has a distinctly different way of moving. The double for those shots (filmed when Naschy wasn't around), doesn't even attempt to mimic his movement. And then there were the reused footage from Frankenstein's Bloody Terror (1968), that doesn't even match up with Fury Of The Wolfman. To hear that this film was an unpleasant experience for Paul Naschy, doesn't come as a surprise.

1. Panic Beats (1983)
    2. Night Of The Werewolf (1981)
    3. Werewolf Shadow (1971)
    4. Human Beasts (1980)
    5. Horror Rises From The Tomb (1973)
    6. Crimson (1976)
    7. The Beast And The Magic Sword (1983)
    8. Dr. Jekyll vs. The Werewolf (1972)
    9. The Howl Of The Devil (1988)
    10. Frankenstein's Bloody Terror (1968)
    11. Blue Eyes Of The Broken Doll (1973)
    12. Exorcismo (1975)
    13. Vengeance Of The Zombies (1973)
    14. Count Dracula's Great Love (1973)
    15. Hunchback Of The Morgue (1972)
    16. 7 Murders for Scotland Yard (1972)
    ***17. Fury Of The Wolfman (1970)***

Getting close to 20 films. It's taken me a long time to get this far. Availability of some of the films has been a big issue.
    Reminds me of the attempt to replace Robert Englund in Nightmare on Elm Street 2. A performance doesn't boil down to costumes or makeup.

Yeah, similar situation. All the shots with the 'replacement' stick out like a sore thumb. Though I need to rewatch ANOES2 to see if it's as noticeable. I haven't seen part 2 in years.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Herostratus (1967), starring Michael Gothard.

Herostratus-001.jpg

Herostratus-017.jpg

Herostratus-102.jpg

Herostratus-294.jpg

Herostratus-194.jpg

Herostratus-209.jpg

Herostratus-308.jpg

Herostratus-236.jpg

That looks bizarre.

I'm rather intrigued actually, did you like it @mattjoes ?

Yes, I did. It's experimental and surreal, and I didn't understand it all, but I enjoyed it. Michael Gothard (with tons of lines here) was terrific.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    edited March 27 Posts: 2,057
    Last few films have been:

Ghostbusters Frozen Empire (C) - fun enough, though overstuffed with too many characters
    Someotherhood - Awful, made it 40mins and turned it off.
    Top Gun Maverick - I am still in awe as to how good this movie is.
    Road House (2024) - Pretty decent, though not a patch on the original.
    The Great Escaper - really enjoyed this, Caine and Jackson on great form.
    Fast Charlie - enjoyed this one too, though Brozza's accent is on very shakey ground.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    The Firemen's Ball

Czech New Wave and absurdist comedy genius rolled into one. Forman's last film before shifting to the United States, it's a great demonstration of a kind favor that turns into one disaster after another, with a great employment of mostly unprofessional actors who somehow still sport impeccable comedic timing and outrage. Loved it.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I had a blast with the Roadhouse remake
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited March 27 Posts: 8,501
    I had a blast with the Roadhouse remake

@Last_Rat_Standing i haven’t seen it. I’ve heard some negative things.

Why’d you like it? What worked for you? I get this is a popcorn film and it’s meant to be the viewer turning off their minds and being taken for a ride. I’d love to hear about what “landed” for you (as I said, I should check this out to see what Amazon is up to).

Thanks in advance!
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    @peter

I have very low standards in terms of movies. But basically what you said. Shut off the ol cranium. And we get to see our buddy Logan Ash as the villian
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @peter

I have very low standards in terms of movies. But basically what you said. Shut off the ol cranium. And we get to see our buddy Logan Ash as the villian

Not low standards! You just know HOW to turn the old cranium off!! I have a few of those on my repeat watch-list too!!

I heard Billy was in RH!! I like him, ever since I saw him in Maniacs (I think that’s what the series was called, Fukunaga directed, with Stone and Hill starring). He’s a pretty dynamic presence. He seems like a crafty actor and hope that the future sees him stretching out of the “book of Mormon “ type off kilter baddie.

@Last_Rat_Standing , what about the action sequences? Scott Adkins slammed the flick for CGI fights. Did you notice this?
    I did. However, i felt the practical stunts made up for it
  • peterpeter Toronto

And thoughts on Connor?

And did you see the original flick??
    The original is so good - I need to buy the special, limited Vinegar Syndrome 4K before it’s all out, those copies are going fast!
  • FeyadorFeyador Montreal, Canada
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    The Firemen's Ball

Czech New Wave and absurdist comedy genius rolled into one. Forman's last film before shifting to the United States, it's a great demonstration of a kind favor that turns into one disaster after another, with a great employment of mostly unprofessional actors who somehow still sport impeccable comedic timing and outrage. Loved it.
    And one of its writers, Ivan Passer, went on to make the great neo-noir Cutter's Way.

Great stuff, the Czech New Wave ... much to watch online.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Herostratus (1967), starring Michael Gothard.

Herostratus-001.jpg

Herostratus-017.jpg

Herostratus-102.jpg

Herostratus-294.jpg

Herostratus-194.jpg

Herostratus-209.jpg

Herostratus-308.jpg

Herostratus-236.jpg

That looks bizarre.

I'm rather intrigued actually, did you like it @mattjoes ?

Yes, I did. It's experimental and surreal, and I didn't understand it all, but I enjoyed it. Michael Gothard (with tons of lines here) was terrific.

Thanks for the advice, I'll check it out if I can find it :)
    Feyador wrote: »
    The Firemen's Ball

And one of its writers, Ivan Passer, went on to make the great neo-noir Cutter's Way.

Great stuff, the Czech New Wave ... much to watch online.

Yes, indeed. There's so much left to discover but Closely Observed Trains is one of my absolutz favourite films.

I also very much enjoyed Marketa Lazarová and Spalovač mrtvol (don't remember the English title, it was about an undertaker going crazy).
    peter wrote: »

And thoughts on Connor?

Connor hammed it up to 1000. It almost seemed like he could have been a villian or glorified henchman in a Fast and Furious movie.

I've seen the original in piecemeal on TV. Both aren't world beating films. You know what you're getting into with films such as these.
  • peterpeter Toronto

And thoughts on Connor?

Connor hammed it up to 1000. It almost seemed like he could have been a villian or glorified henchman in a Fast and Furious movie.

I've seen the original in piecemeal on TV. Both aren't world beating films. You know what you're getting into with films such as these.

I always have a soft spot for 80s popcorn flicks, and look at remakes very suspiciously (looking at you Robocop and Total Recall remakes!!!)…

Wait, which ones were those? In between the finale, the truck bit on the bridge, and even the CGI fists, I'm struggling to recall any practical stunts that were noteworthy.

@Feyador, that's awesome. And @GoldenGun, we might've discussed it before but Marketa Lazarova is one I've been meaning to see for a long time but it seems like it could leave me very confused during its lengthy runtime too. I really want to give it a chance though.
    I mean some of the fight scenes weren't all CGi. Like I said, I have very low standards in terms of movies so I really don't care about things like that
    You're right, they weren't, just had some moments of shoddy editing or CGI fists for whatever goofball reason, but you highlighted the practical stunts and I was just inquiring which good ones there were cause I honestly couldn't remember any, unless you were talking about the fight choreography.
    Yeah I was.

Wait, which ones were those? In between the finale, the truck bit on the bridge, and even the CGI fists, I'm struggling to recall any practical stunts that were noteworthy.

@Feyador, that's awesome. And @GoldenGun, we might've discussed it before but Marketa Lazarova is one I've been meaning to see for a long time but it seems like it could leave me very confused during its lengthy runtime too. I really want to give it a chance though.

Great film, not a difficult watch ... if only for the astounding black and white widescreen cinematography.

Czech critics once voted it the very greatest of all their films.

Superb version of it here, probably via Criterion, though I first watched it on TCM. Need to be a YouTube subscriber to avoid commercials:

Maybe that's my spotty memory, could've swore discussing it elsewhere ages ago and some folks said it was a bit tough to follow and had a lot of juggling characters. Maybe they were wrong. I'll try to get around to it soon then.
    edited March 28 Posts: 735
    Maybe that's my spotty memory, could've swore discussing it elsewhere ages ago and some folks said it was a bit tough to follow and had a lot of juggling characters. Maybe they were wrong. I'll try to get around to it soon then.

It does have a long running time. Oftened compared with the historical epic Andrei Roublev, so in that sense a stark, completely foreign world set in a somewhat mythologized and distant past. But humans are humans, whatever the era. Not really "new wave," probably, as that term usually connotes a very recognizable contemporary world, at least at the time of a particular film's making.
    I do appreciate the link though, might be my outlet for finally watching it soon.
    The Long Good Friday (1980)
    Classic thriller for the season thats in it. One of my favourite themes gets this cracking movie off to a fine start. Bob Hoskins at the top of his game, the wonderful Helen Mirren gives able support. Gritty, gripping, and THAT final explosive sequence. Even the presence of Brossa cant ruin things! Great stuff!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    fwtzVWt.png]
    Unforgiven 4K omg this film is incredible, I can't believe I waited this long to watch it.

@Peter its sits extremely well with The Outlaw Josey Wales, Pale Rider and High Plains Drifter. The slow build and character work is exceptional, I never thought I would see a Hackman performance that rivaled Popeye Doyle and this is it.

After one watch Unforgiven is one of my favorite westerns of all time.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    fwtzVWt.png]
    Unforgiven 4K omg this film is incredible, I can't believe I waited this long to watch it.

@Peter its sits extremely well with The Outlaw Josey Wales, Pale Rider and High Plains Drifter. The slow build and character work is exceptional, I never thought I would see a Hackman performance that rivaled Popeye Doyle and this is it.

Wild man! I agree @Fire_and_Ice_Returns , it slots in beautifully with Josey and Pale Rider.

And Hackman was a mean SOB, but completely believable and grounded. I think that’s what made him so terrifying. In his head, he was absolutely righteous…

Very, very happy you enjoyed it!!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited March 31 Posts: 23,364
    fwtzVWt.png]

Wild man! I agree @Fire_and_Ice_Returns , it slots in beautifully with Josey and Pale Rider.

And Hackman was a mean SOB, but completely believable and grounded. I think that’s what made him so terrifying. In his head, he was absolutely righteous…

Very, very happy you enjoyed it!!

I liked the slow burn of Bill Mummy's arc (it is not a good arc by any stretch for Bill), the ending gave me the sense of real terror, they had no chance.

I like the juxtaposition of Bill and English Bob narratively it is very effective.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Mummy-1959-US-poster-1024x803.jpg
    Having done their own interpretations of Frankenstein in 1957, and Dracula in 1958, The Mummy was the next Universal classic to get the gloriously gothic Hammer Horror treatment in 1959.
    Clint Eastwood funny story about Richard Harris Unforgiven

This is funny.