Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited March 22 Posts: 5,869
    peter wrote: »
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Thankfully, EON isn’t James Gunn. They don’t sit on Twitter or Threads telling people whether certain scoops are true or not. It’s a waste of time. Why bother when the truth will come out when production starts anyway?

Free publicity but this time with real news.
    …which would last about five minutes because if their comment is “ATj isn’t our Bond”, the story would die faster than it is, with only the few who would think they’re lying continuing to hype him up. The longer people are unsure of the truth, the more they’ll discuss both options. Also, speaking hypothetically, if it was true, EON are even less likely to comment, so overall, EON should and will say nothing until they want to announce it on their own terms.

"Their own terms", that's the problem. They need new terms.
    Ok, I get what you're saying and I know the last few years have been rough in certain ways for certain fans, but let's talk hypothetically again. What if the scoop that The Sun got was true? and ATJ was about to sign a contract, it wouldn't matter, because it would never force EON's hand. They would never give in and go "alright, you got us, here he is". They'd stick to whatever plans they have in place and announce the news when they're ready.

So overall, either way, it makes sense that EON have said and will continue to say nothing.

Didn’t EoN speed up the Craig announcement because the rags got to Craig’s mum, and she inadvertently told them he had signed, therefore expediting his reveal (he was still shooting, or doing re-shoots for Invasion, and had to get back sooner than expected)?
    For sure, but I think that was more to do with being kinda "straight from the horse's mouth" for lack of a better phrase. If The Sun's source was ATJ's mum, we'd all be having a different conversation, but in this instance, there's enough doubt for it to disappear into the ether until EON would be ready to announce
  • edited March 22 Posts: 486
    Thankfully, EON isn’t James Gunn. They don’t sit on Twitter or Threads telling people whether certain scoops are true or not. It’s a waste of time. Why bother when the truth will come out when production starts anyway?

…which would last about five minutes because if their comment is “ATj isn’t our Bond”, the story would die faster than it is, with only the few who would think they’re lying continuing to hype him up. The longer people are unsure of the truth, the more they’ll discuss both options. Also, speaking hypothetically, if it was true, EON are even less likely to comment, so overall, EON should and will say nothing until they want to announce it on their own terms.

Ok, I get what you're saying and I know the last few years have been rough in certain ways for certain fans, but let's talk hypothetically again. What if the scoop that The Sun got was true? and ATJ was about to sign a contract, it wouldn't matter, because it would never force EON's hand. They would never give in and go "alright, you got us, here he is". They'd stick to whatever plans they have in place and announce the news when they're ready.

So overall, either way, it makes sense that EON have said and will continue to say nothing.

they’re in control

There is a new sheriff in town:
    "Barbara, where is my Bond movie?"
    gettyimages-813884326-1520450234.jpg
  • peterpeter Toronto

they’re in control

There is a new sheriff in town:
    "Barbara, where is my Bond movie?"
    gettyimages-813884326-1520450234.jpg

Yeah, I don't think so.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    The true arch villain of certain prolific procrastinators at EON headquarters.
  • Ha, they should call the next villain Jeff. Or maybe Jeffery is more sinister.

• VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    The GF onesie definitely wouldn't be acceptable today!
  • edited March 22 Posts: 486
    On a more serious note, how involved do you think Bezos will be in the making of Bond 26? Apparently he was pretty involved in the Lord of the Rings TV show. https://www.forbes.com/sites/marisadellatto/2022/08/31/heres-how-involved-jeff-bezos-was-in-amazon-primes-the-lord-of-the-rings-the-rings-of-power/
    Speaking of what’s acceptable today, read this earlier

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-68596039.amp

“Sadism for the whole family” might be on the way out. I think Bond will probably end up biting the bullet and going 15/R rated one day.

“Sadism for the whole family” might be on the way out. I think Bond will probably end up biting the bullet and going 15/R rated one day.

It's more likely to be watered down further, i.e. not smoking anymore. No way they "bite the bullet" when profit is involved.
    On a more serious note, how involved do you think Bezos will be in the making of Bond 26? Apparently he was pretty involved in the Lord of the Rings TV show. https://www.forbes.com/sites/marisadellatto/2022/08/31/heres-how-involved-jeff-bezos-was-in-amazon-primes-the-lord-of-the-rings-the-rings-of-power/

No more than any other owner of MGM.
  • edited March 22 Posts: 303
    Do people at the Sun really sometimes just sit down and completely make up stories? I mean them hearing insider rumours about AJT and reporting it as a done deal is different from completely making it up. If they completely make up stories, how is that not illegal?

There was the awful phone hacking scandal. Journalists hacking phones.
    Dowler's murder played a significant role in the News International phone hacking scandal. In 2011, reports revealed how journalists at the News of the World newspaper had accessed Dowler's voicemail after she was reported missing, giving her parents false hope she was still alive.

So that's how low UK journalists can go to get a story. I'm not sure any journalists went to prison over the scandal.
  • edited March 23 Posts: 12,837

It's more likely to be watered down further, i.e. not smoking anymore. No way they "bite the bullet" when profit is involved.

Short term maybe, long term I disagree. There’s only so much watering down you can do before the character’s so unrecogniseable that you lose the point of his appeal. And if kids aren’t being allowed to watch like they used to anyway, there might come a point where it wouldn’t make much difference to their profits. Some R rated films have been making big money lately.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    BMB007 wrote: »

I think it's clear that EON has never been easy to control, or bully. They've had to take some losses (studio interference to get Connery back for DAF, probably some kind of pressure to dump Dalton to bring on Brosnan), but especially from the Brosnan years and onwards, we don't hear too many stories about one pushing EON into a corner.

I think it's clear to smart people (and I'm assuming Bezos and company are smart people): EON isn't about to tell them how to run Amazon, and Amazon isn't going to tell them how to produce a Bond film (pretty sure they've gone over their budgets, and their profits, and the critical receptions, and figured: these guys know how to produce their IP)...
    Amazon produced content ought to be fair warning to EON that they don't want Amazon's advice about film making.

I think it's clear that EON has never been easy to control, or bully. They've had to take some losses (studio interference to get Connery back for DAF, probably some kind of pressure to dump Dalton to bring on Brosnan), but especially from the Brosnan years and onwards, we don't hear too many stories about one pushing EON into a corner.

I think it's clear to smart people (and I'm assuming Bezos and company are smart people): EON isn't about to tell them how to run Amazon, and Amazon isn't going to tell them how to produce a Bond film (pretty sure they've gone over their budgets, and their profits, and the critical receptions, and figured: these guys know how to produce their IP)...

I should find the article but there was an interview with a former MGM executive right after Amazon bought MGM and this was basically his conclusion as well — even if they had legal ability (which they don't), why *would* anyone mess with how EON does things? It works!
  • peterpeter Toronto

I should find the article but there was an interview with a former MGM executive right after Amazon bought MGM and this was basically his conclusion as well — even if they had legal ability (which they don't), why *would* anyone mess with how EON does things? It works!

Yes, exactly! Despite some people thinking that Barbara Broccoli is nothing but a school girl with a crush, these people actually know how to produce great popcorn films that exude style and class, that make millions at the box office (which is saying something, considering how many film series have come and gone over the decades, but James Bond keeps ticking after sixty-plus years)….
    Does anyone else think Dalton Aston has the potential to become the new DB5? Seeing that again in Bond 25 got a massive reaction from fans, and even though the DB5 got overplayed in recent years, bond still needs some kind of signature vehicle which you associate as "his car".
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    The DB5 and David Arnold's "The Name's Bond...James Bond were really overused, though. Something new and still Bondian would be really appreciated.
    The DB5 and David Arnold's "The Name's Bond...James Bond were really overused, though. Something new and still Bondian would be really appreciated.

There's nothing which illustrates how lacking creativity the Craig films were better than the repeated use of the same version of the bond theme in each film.
    Use the new Vantage of course and a nippy Lotus as well. Have Bond commandeer a DB5 for one scene.

Driver: "No, hey, this is an Uber."
    JB: "A fine choice. Follow that taxi cab!"
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    edited March 24 Posts: 565

There's nothing which illustrates how lacking creativity the Craig films were better than the repeated use of the same version of the bond theme in each film.

Like how they used the John Barry rendition in DN, FRWL, YOLT, and OHMSS?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

Like how they used the John Barry rendition in DN, FRWL, and OHMSS?

Even worse: the Little Nellie fight really could have used other music than the original version of the Bond Theme. Barry hated that move.
  • edited March 24 Posts: 486
    Chris Nolan and his wife were spotted in Venice. Then again, they are there probably only for vacation and not for location scouting for Bond 26 or a non-Bond movie as they were spotted there without a production designer, cinematographer, AD or co-producer.

Btw, could you imagine if Venice was one of the locations of Bond 26? People would start to suspect that Italy was blackmailing EON somehow.
    Going back to plot it feels almost obvious where Bond has to go so obviously i am surprised Babs hasnt realized it herself..

Lets look at modern action movie trends there seem to be three obvious ones with only two that work for bond

1. Sci- fi elements: we have multiverse in movies like Spider man no way home time travel in the flash and AI in Mission impossible dead reckoning part 1… this wont work with Bond as even with Moonraker “we are not science fiction we are in fact Science Fact” Cubby broccoli
    Now with that out of the way
    2. An older actor fans are nostalgic for.. with jo way home and the flash it shows fans are nostalgic for the 80’s 90’s and early 2000’s so how could Eon capitalize on this bringing Dalton or Brosnan back for one last adventure… while it would work you still have the issue of Bond 27 then being stuck in what we do limbo… the other issue is do we want a bond coming back for one final mission two films in a row…I dont but maybe you do
    3. A Year 2 story dealing with father figures: here is where i feel the neon light is pointing in Spiderman: homecoming and The Batman we didnt get a new origin story. In both films we get a hero who is already defined dealing with father figures (the vulture and iron man in home coming and Carmin Falcone and in some ways the batman himself in the batman)

So what is this Year two story that is so obvious

Take the unused elements of Goldeneye (bond going after an old mentor) and diamonds are forever as a sort of Year 2 Bond storyline…

Perhaps Bond’s mentor could even be Jack Spang… is this going against Fleming yeah but i think apart from a few fleming pureist it wont be as upsetting as Brofeld…

We dont need Bond getting his 00 again or meeting M or Q again we need a 007 who is established and was 007 for a year at least

My two cents on how to capitalize on curreng trends
    This older fan doesn't need TD or PB resurrected. Rather than nostalgia, it would be another reminder of how old I am. I am nostalgic for classic Bond elements, not a particular actor or decade. I want a Bond film that feels like a Bond film rather than something that could easily be an MI film or Jason Bourne. As for mother and father figures, leave it alone. I am way beyond Bond having his hand slapped for being a bad boy. Disagreement is fine, but keep it adult to adult rather than parent to child.

As much as I don't want to see the regularly destroyed DB5 again, I'll take it any day over a BMW or some other product placement car. A Bentley and Aston have always been Bond cars. Let's keep it that way. As for music, Bond is Barry. It's fine to use modern interpretations and variations of his work. Keep some of the Bond DNA.

What I'd like to see more of in Bond films is suspense. There's plenty of action, but not much in the way of suspense. Having watched North by Northwest again this weekend, I am reminded of what fun a suspense film can be.
    Does anyone else think Dalton Aston has the potential to become the new DB5? Seeing that again in Bond 25 got a massive reaction from fans, and even though the DB5 got overplayed in recent years, bond still needs some kind of signature vehicle which you associate as "his car".

I hope not, Dalton’s V8 is my favourite Bond car but I’m bored of the nostalgic callbacks. I like how the first four each had their own signature car, that was unique to them. I’d like to see that again.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Craig had the DB10, which I liked a lot (although the CR DBS is probably 'his' car), and Brosnan had the Z8, which I think is his signature one (even though the Vanquish was cooler).
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I’d happily take the V8 personally if we’re keeping Aston Martin as the main car. I’m not a huge fan of the more modern Astons, so would take any of the old models really - within reason.
    mtm wrote: »
    Craig had the DB10, which I liked a lot (although the CR DBS is probably 'his' car), and Brosnan had the Z8, which I think is his signature one (even though the Vanquish was cooler).

I love the DB10 but I don’t think that or the DBS were given the same prominence and sense of importance as the DB5, that was Craig’s signature car imo. Which annoyed me because it’s so iconically Connery’s. And I’m not sure I’d say Brosnan had a signature car at all, he drove so many that none of them really felt like the one imo.

I know the product placement deals mean we’ll always have to have the new models featured, and I do think giving him a classic car as his own while he crashes his way through the MI6 issued new ones was a good solution. But I’d like that role, the DB5 slot, to be filled by a classic we haven’t seen Bond drive before in the next era.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    I've always thought Brosnan is the BMW Bond and the car really suited his Bond.