Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I think since we don't know the direction EON wants to take, we'll always dismiss actors quickly. Fans dismissed Craig, because they thought he would want to be very suave like Brosnan, so they didn't see it. Until they saw that Craig was chosen to play the rogue side of Bond...hence, his more rugged looks. Maybe Bond 7 might be a posh and snobbish Bond...hence, his more gentlemanly but slightly rugged looks, so fans would also not see how he fits in, until he plays it.

Exactly and succinctly put, @SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I think since we don't know the direction EON wants to take, we'll always dismiss actors quickly. Fans dismissed Craig, because they thought he would want to be very suave like Brosnan, so they didn't see it. Until they saw that Craig was chosen to play the rogue side of Bond...hence, his more rugged looks. Maybe Bond 7 might be a posh and snobbish Bond...hence, his more gentlemanly but slightly rugged looks, so fans would also not see how he fits in, until he plays it.

I actually think that people, more than ever, are thinking wider BECAUSE they cast Craig.

And, at least on this site, I’ve not seen ppl suggesting, in most cases, a Craig 2.0. We’ve all been quite creative, I think!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Started The Gentlemen; not convinced by Theo James. I don't think he's massively good and makes some average choices.
  • edited March 23 Posts: 303
    My gut feeling is Aaron Taylor-Johnson will be the next Bond (there are two big reasons why I say that and I think one big reason I think he may not be Bond).

Reason 1) He's having an affair with Bar...

Sorry that's not it. 🤭

Er... where was I? Erm.. Oh yeah! Reason 1)
    He ticks most of B Broccoli's boxes.
    Handsome but not excessively so. And therefore he isn't the opposite, he's not too average looking.
    Decent height.
    Decent resume. Made smaller and larger films. He's not a tv actor.
    Right age.
    Not that famous.
    Not known for one earlier role. For example Cavill had "you can't have Superman be Bond yadda yadda yadda." Johnson hasn't got that baggage.
    Cheap to hire. Cheap is a relative term, I guess. Taylor will probably want a decent amount but it won't be crazy big. It's not Dwayne Johnson level salary.
    Decent in interviews. He'll probably be fine doing press junkets and social media stuff.
    Maybe appeal to gen z?
    Decent actor with range. He played a young John Lennon.
    Done action roles so will be up to do a lot action in Bond 26.

Reason number 2)
    No opposition. If Barbara Broccoli genuinely believes there's no other strong candidates, Taylor-Johnson is certain to get the part. It's possible the Sun went over-the-top on reporting Taylor-Johnson as Bond because there are no credible alternatives or Barbara Broccoli thinks "Johnson is the guy" and the Sun jumped to the logical, if too early, conclusion Taylor-Johnson is Bond. That seems possible.

Reason why he won't be Bond...

If Kraven The Hunter flops - and post covid the superhero film genre has lost huge popularity, both Marvel and DC have had a number of flops - that could spell the end for Taylor-Johnson's chances of becoming Bond. I can't see Eon wanting to market Johnson if Kraven is a huge flop. Flops happen all the time and actors go onto the next job but I feel Kraven flopping would seriously damage Johnson's market value. I think it would look a 'hard sell' if Kraven flops and then Eon want to make out Johnson is the right candidate. People will post online saying "noone cared about Kraven. Why have they cast this guy as Bond?" I guarantee people will post those comments.

Overall, if Kraven is a moderate success or a hit, and if no other candidate comes forward (I don't think Eon will seriously consider Aidan Turner, Dan Stevens, Theo James, Tom Hughes etc), my guess is Aaron Taylor-Johnson will be the seventh Eon cast James Bond.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    If Kraven were to be a hit (although the point is somewhat moot) he definitely wouldn't be Bond as he'd be tied to making more Kraven films.
  • edited March 23 Posts: 303
    mtm wrote: »
    If Kraven were to be a hit (although the point is somewhat moot) he definitely wouldn't be Bond as he'd be tied to making more Kraven films.

Well the Bond producers and the Kraven producers could come to a mutually beneficial agreement. For example: a second Kraven film would go into production before or after Bond 26's filming schedule. Amazon could provide 'financial support' to Sony Pictures to help them accept such an agreement. In blunt terms, compensate Sony Pictures for any delay in making Kraven 2.

I don't think that Kraven 2 would automatically stop Taylor-Johnson becoming Bond. If Barbara Broccoli is adamant he's her man then I'm sure Bond 26's production schedule can accommodate Kraven 2 or vice versa. Bond filming is 6 to 7 months long. That leaves half a year or so for Taylor-Johnson to do other films.

As I mentioned, if Kraven is a resounding flop that may put the kibosh on Taylor-Johnson's chances of playing Bond. It may do well but who knows. It looks a bit of a niche type character. Maybe not broad appeal?

• talos7talos7 New Orleans

Notice, they barely let him speak in the trailers…
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I think Kraven is a double edged sword for AJT personally, if it's successful he'll be tied up with that franchise, if it flops it doesn't rule him out, but makes him less attractive to the studio perhaps?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited March 24 Posts: 23,547
    I'm still unsure if we should consider the ATJ "news" anything more than simple rumours. Hardly anything is going on with it, except websites copying other websites. Verifiable sources are sorely lacking. I don't know anything more about it, of course, but I'm treating this as little more than a puff of dead air until I hear or read something from an official source.
  • edited March 24 Posts: 2,900
    I think ATJ said it best himself. At the moment he’s concentrating on Kraven (depressing as that is). That’s what’s in front of him. A Bond audition hypothetically, maybe, a year from now isn’t even worth thinking about for him.
  • edited March 24 Posts: 303
    This was inevitable...
    RACIST film fans have threatened to boycott the next James Bond movie if Jewish actor Aaron Taylor Johnson is confirmed in the role.

The Sun told last week that the star, 33, has been offered the part — but he has since endured anti-Semitic comments online.

The hashtag #BoycottJamesBond has been widely shared on X/Twitter.

One fan railed at the producers, writing: “Really bad timing with Israel committing genocide in Gaza. Shame on you. I hope your company collapses.”

Another wrote on Instagram: “Boycott Bond, Free Palestine.”

And a third said: “I wont buy a ticket for any of its movies. Will boycott all of it. Bunch of killers."

It's from The Sun but I'm assuming it's real online comments. I suspect if Johnson is cast the film will be boycotted in some Arab countries. It's possible.

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    That’s pathetic.
    There’s a time and a place for such commentary.
    It needs to be seriously brought under tighter control.
    ATJ has seemingly been branded unfairly for a role he doesn’t even have. I mean seriously what is wrong with some people.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    bondywondy wrote: »
    My gut feeling is Aaron Taylor-Johnson will be the next Bond (there are two big reasons why I say that and I think one big reason I think he may not be Bond).

Sorry that's not it. 🤭

Handsome but not excessively so. And therefore he isn't the opposite, he's not too average looking.
    Decent height.
    Right age.
    Not that famous.
    Not known for one earlier role. For example Cavill had "you can't have Superman be Bond yadda yadda yadda." Johnson hasn't got that baggage.
    Cheap to hire. Cheap is a relative term, I guess. Taylor will probably want a decent amount but it won't be crazy big. It's not Dwayne Johnson level salary.
    Decent in interviews. He'll probably be fine doing press junkets and social media stuff.
    Maybe appeal to gen z?

Reason number 2)
    No opposition. If Barbara Broccoli genuinely believes there's no other strong candidates, Taylor-Johnson is certain to get the part. It's possible the Sun went over-the-top on reporting Taylor-Johnson as Bond because there are no credible alternatives or Barbara Broccoli thinks "Johnson is the guy" and the Sun jumped to the logical, if too early, conclusion Taylor-Johnson is Bond. That seems possible.

If Kraven The Hunter flops - and post covid the superhero film genre has lost huge popularity, both Marvel and DC have had a number of flops - that could spell the end for Taylor-Johnson's chances of becoming Bond. I can't see Eon wanting to market Johnson if Kraven is a huge flop. Flops happen all the time and actors go onto the next job but I feel Kraven flopping would seriously damage Johnson's market value. I think it would look a 'hard sell' if Kraven flops and then Eon want to make out Johnson is the right candidate. People will post online saying "noone cared about Kraven. Why have they cast this guy as Bond?" I guarantee people will post those comments.

Overall, if Kraven is a moderate success or a hit, and if no other candidate comes forward (I don't think Eon will seriously consider Aidan Turner, Dan Stevens, Theo James, Tom Hughes etc), my guess is Aaron Taylor-Johnson will be the seventh Eon cast James Bond.

I’ll make a friendly and small wager with you, documented on this site: I’ll pay you the equivalent of $150 USD if ATJ is the next Bond. And if he’s not, you don’t have to pay me anything.

You have nothing to lose. In?
    peter wrote: »

Sorry that's not it. 🤭

Decent height.
    Right age.
    Not that famous.
    Maybe appeal to gen z?

Reason number 2)

I’ll make a friendly and small wager with you, documented on this site: I’ll pay you the equivalent of $150 USD if ATJ is the next Bond. And if he’s not, you don’t have to pay me anything.

I'm in.
    Started The Gentlemen; not convinced by Theo James. I don't think he's massively good and makes some average choices.

I'm in the opposite camp. He wasn't on my radar before, but after finishing the whole series last night, I'm convinced he is the right man for the job. I saw more potential with TJ as Bond in The Gentlemen than I first saw with Craig in Munich or Layer Cake.

He has the looks, charisma, voice, swagger, toughness and yes - even the humour. Pretty much ticks all the boxes.

Is he as decent an actor as Craig or Dalton on a thespian level? I'm guessing probably not, but neither were any of the other actors who played Bond either, yet they didn't do too badly because of it.

Cinematic Bond requires more than just the acting chops. It needs the charisma, swagger and humour to pull it off too (probably moreso).
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Exactly and succinctly put, @SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷.

Thanks @Dragonpol

I actually think that people, more than ever, are thinking wider BECAUSE they cast Craig.

And, at least on this site, I’ve not seen ppl suggesting, in most cases, a Craig 2.0. We’ve all been quite creative, I think!

Yeah. Valid points @peter

I'm in the opposite camp. He wasn't on my radar before, but after finishing the whole series last night, I'm convinced he is the right man for the job. I saw more potential with TJ as Bond in The Gentlemen than I first saw with Craig in Munich or Layer Cake.

He has the looks, charisma, voice, swagger, toughness and yes - even the humour. Pretty much ticks all the boxes.

Is he as decent an actor as Craig or Dalton on a thespian level? I'm guessing probably not, but neither were any of the other actors who played Bond either, yet they didn't do too badly because of it.

Cinematic Bond requires more than just the acting chops. It needs the charisma, swagger and humour to pull it off too (probably moreso).

I have to agree with all of this post @jetsetwilly
    TJ has all the qualities that I think would make him a credible Bond.
    Is he an actor with as much range as Craig? Probably not. But I don’t think EON will want to go for a Daniel Craig V.2 for the next Bond.
    James would be a fine choice for Bond….or Leo Suter eh @talos7 ;)
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    It's crazy that after 60 years, there's still so much buzz around bond and the next films. Die hard will forever be tied Bruce Willis, Indy to Harrison Ford, Jason Bourne to Matt Damon, MI to Tom Cruise, etc. Bond is one of the only few brands that can completely reinvent itself, and people will go along for the brand itself, not to see a certain actor play a beloved character again, or for nostalgia sake "look lightsabers!!" All we KNOW about a new Bond is that he will wear a tux and be the coolest guy in the room, and that's enough to pack out cinemas around the globe. It really is something special for that.
    It's crazy that after 60 years, there's still so much buzz around bond and the next films. Die hard will forever be tied Bruce Willis, Indy to Harrison Ford, Jason Bourne to Matt Damon, MI to Tom Cruise, etc. Bond is one of the only few brands that can completely reinvent itself, and people will go along for the brand itself, not to see a certain actor play a beloved character again, or for nostalgia sake "look lightsabers!!" All we KNOW about a new Bond is that he will wear a tux and be the coolest guy in the room, and that's enough to pack out cinemas around the globe. It really is something special for that.

The endless hunger people have for James Bond is really something else. I'll forever be grateful I'm a huge fan. How else would I have faced this mundane life without him. Plus, concerning James Bond, President Bill Clinton who's also a fan, once said the idea that one man can put a stop to evil around the world is immensely reassuring to people.
  • buddyoldchapbuddyoldchap Formerly known as JeremyBondon
    edited March 24 Posts: 155

Quite right old boy and it should be this guy next.

tumblr_inline_oen80cz4bs1tae3h3_250.gifv
    I’ll wager that it won’t be Aidan Turner.
    Not that I don’t think , he could do it. I just think his age will be a factor.
    Benny wrote: »
    Not that I don’t think , he could do it. I just think his age will be a factor.

They should go the Pierce route with Aidan. He was pitch perfect when his tenure began. Turner doesn't age fast, he looks younger for sure. After all age is just...
  • edited March 24 Posts: 486
    Benny wrote: »
    Amen.
    I suppose the thing about Brosnan is that him being in his 40s made sense in GE. His Bond was meant to have been a 00 for quite a long time at this point. They might want to lean a bit younger if the next one is about a Bond earlier in his 00 career.

Not to say that Brosnan wasn’t youthful in GE, and he certainly brought vigour to the role. But compared to when he was first considered I think the fact that he was older was something in his favour/gave him a bit more gravitas.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    And Then There Were None is nearly ten years old.
    edited March 24 Posts: 155
    007HallY wrote: »
    I suppose the thing about Brosnan is that him being in his 40s made sense in GE. His Bond was meant to have been a 00 for quite a long time at this point. They might want to lean a bit younger if the next one is about a Bond earlier in his 00 career.

Not to say that Brosnan wasn’t youthful in GE, and he certainly brought vigour to the role. But compared to when he was first considered I think the fact that he was older was something in his favour/gave him a bit more gravitas.

That's the thing. Gravitas and Bond are entwined. Some youngin just isn't as interesting to watch. They can 'shake it up' all they want, but Bond doesn't need reinvention. Bond needs to be believable, has to have some credible and earned charm and wit. Turner has that in spades, naturally. Bond can switch between a ruthless killer and flirty boyish charm, like Connery. Again, enter Aidan Turner.

@Denbigh
    Point being? He only looks and acts better now. Pitch perfect for Bond.
    007HallY wrote: »

That's the thing. Gravitas and Bond are entwined. Some youngin just isn't as interesting to watch. They can 'shake it up' all they want, but Bond doesn't need reinvention. Bond needs to be believable, has to have some credible and earned charm and wit. Turner has that in spades, naturally. Bond can switch between a ruthless killer and flirty boyish charm, like Connery. Again, enter Aidan Turner.

Some actors need to age a bit into the role. I don’t think Dalton, Moore or Brosnan would have been as good if they’d been in their 30s. But Craig and Connery were arguably at their peak as Bond in that decade of their lives. It really depends.

They’ll cast who they cast. I mean, Turner’s never really jumped out at me, but who knows. Not sure if it’ll be him though.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    @Denbigh
    Point being? He only looks and acts better now. Pitch perfect for Bond.
    Well I just feel it puts into perspective how long some fans have been gunning for him to be Bond? It also lends itself to why some people may be unexcited by him as an option because he’s been doing the rounds for nearly a decade.
  • peterpeter Toronto

Sorry that's not it. 🤭

Decent height.
    Right age.
    Not that famous.
    Maybe appeal to gen z?

Reason number 2)

I'm in.

You still haven't put a bid on one of my BlockbyStores, like you promised, 😂