Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Yes, the pieces are all there. EON's unexplained silence from 2021 - 2023, Villeneuve suddenly having a secret project which has to happen quickly (why would it be a secret if it was an original concept of his and not some kind of franchise) ATJ spotted at several bond related functions recently, including Goldeneye. I don't know whether the Sun's scoop will end up being accurate or not, but it's another sign that movement on the next Bond film is indeed underway, and its about to get more exciting as things progress from here. The drought is finally ending. \:D/

The drought can take forever it means not casting ATJ as Bond. Careful what you wish for, as we're going to be ancient when ATJ would finish his tenure. Better do it right, i.e. not to cast soprano quire boy.

Better than Tom "I heart T.S" (taylor swift) Hiddleson, or the kid from about a boy.

The 'kid' from About A Boy, who is actor Nicholas Hoult aged, 35 now. Perfect age to be cast as Bond.
    I thought you were a firm believer that Aidan Turner would be the next Bond @Mendes4Lyfe
    Why the change of heart?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Remember, PM me about my Blockbuster store sale!!
    mtm wrote: »
    Even if the Sun article is 100% made up and just for "clicks", that still doesn't mean he won't eventually be who EON choose.

No smoke without fire, etc. He is being lined up in the public consciousness now the same way Brozza was back in the 90's.

Or in the way Idris Elba and Clive Owen were. In the UK press there's plenty of smoke without fire.

So much smoke i worry about your health.

To our Uk members how do you guys breath with so much smoke lol

I believe purvis and Wade have been writing a script i would even believe Dennis V’s secret project is bond 26 but the fact we have a cast is unbelievable sorry
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Benny wrote: »
    Yes, the pieces are all there. EON's unexplained silence from 2021 - 2023, Villeneuve suddenly having a secret project which has to happen quickly (why would it be a secret if it was an original concept of his and not some kind of franchise) ATJ spotted at several bond related functions recently, including Goldeneye. I don't know whether the Sun's scoop will end up being accurate or not, but it's another sign that movement on the next Bond film is indeed underway, and its about to get more exciting as things progress from here. The drought is finally ending. \:D/

The drought can take forever it means not casting ATJ as Bond. Careful what you wish for, as we're going to be ancient when ATJ would finish his tenure. Better do it right, i.e. not to cast soprano quire boy.

Better than Tom "I heart T.S" (taylor swift) Hiddleson, or the kid from about a boy.

The 'kid' from About A Boy, who is actor Nicholas Hoult aged, 35 now. Perfect age to be cast as Bond.
    I thought you were a firm believer that Aidan Turner would be the next Bond @Mendes4Lyfe
    Why the change of heart?

I would take Aidan Turner over ATJ in a heartbeat, I believe he is the best man to play bond out there at the moment, but you can't pin everything on your first choice.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    So you believe that ATJ is the best man to play Bond now.
    Benny wrote: »
    So you believe that ATJ is the best man to play Bond now.

No.
    Weirdly enough the james bond in 007 Cypher looks like Nicholas Hoult….

Honestly Hoult would be fine as 007 he feels like a Roger moore type bond which would be nice in 2025
    Smilion wrote: »
    BBC were reporting this on their main channel yesterday as though he was already cast.

Just playing devils advocate here - is there the slightest possibility that auditions HAVE taken place these past few months, there IS a script in place, there is even a director in place, and now casting ATJ is the final piece in the jigsaw and it got leaked yesterday.

In other words, EON have made a damn good job of keeping silent and covering up everything that has been happening behind the scenes this past year. After all, they managed to keep Bond's death a secret right until the film was released.

Is this a remote possibility?

Could be possible, but extremely unlikely ... I doubt EON could be that secretive and nothing would leak in the meantime. However as one user pointed out, there were times when EON denied something categorically, only for the same thing to be later found as true (Obenhosuer Bond connection, Eve Moneypenny, Craig denying any development or involvement in next Bond on a talk show, only for him being confirmed a few hours later).

In 2022 Barbara was interviewed saying they are still debating and finding out the direction in which to go and that script is still at least a couple years away. Furthermore, there were rumours that P&W where approached to help with brainstorming and finding a new direction.

It could be possible that by the end of 2022 they have cracked the direction and script was being written. We know they have met with ATJ at the end of 2022, however, it could be possible that they have also met with other potential candidates at that time. As I remember one actor was asked in beginning of 2023 in an interview about Bond and he answered, that he heard "they got the person and it's not him". That being the case, they could work further on the script in the first half of 2023 and also interview possible directors. Strike that put a process on hold for the second part of 2023.

It is possible then that they approached Nolan with their idea and direction after the strike ended, but he pitched them a different version, with which EON didn't comply. EON then approached Villeneuve, who is also a fan and was already in discussion for NTTD.

Let's say the script is in the finishing phases, Denis talks about a secretive project that must happen quickly and ATJ is offered the role at the same time. If that were the case, EON was bluffing all the time in regard to how far they were in the process. However, even if ATJ is signed by the end of the week, we won't necessarily get any confirmation now, and a conference/announcement might happen in late summer or autumn for a late 2024 and early 2025 shoot and November 2025 release. Unlikely but possible.

I also don't believe EON works in a traditional way, so they would get a script in, hire a director and only then hold auditions. Being strong producers, I think they shall firstly determine the direction of the series and the type of actors they are looking for. I also think that the actor they choose shall also influence the character of Bond and the script, so a rewrite shall probably happen after they choose an actor for a role. I also don't think it is necessary for them to have a director before casting, especially for Bond, who shall be there longer than a director is (for one or two movies). They might cast Bond before, hire a director and then do additional casting for other roles (villains, bond girls etc.).

That's a fine "what if..." scenario, very detailed, but the complete opposite may be just as viable...

"Nothing is happening yet."

🫢

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I swear this forum is the only place on Earth where folks drop Aidan Turner’s name and from what I’ve seen he’s as boring of a choice as Henry Cavill.
    I swear this forum is the only place on Earth where folks drop Aidan Turner’s name and from what I’ve seen he’s as boring of a choice as Henry Cavill.
    I didnt mind Aidan turner the first 2000 times he was brought up but the next 2000 really grated on me..

Usually when i post about my choices its because they either changed or because i have a new piece of evidence as to why i think they would fit
  • buddyoldchapbuddyoldchap Formerly known as JeremyBondon

Not true actually, many media outlets out there have named him, including comments galore. Moore and Brosnan both named him as a worthy successor. I mean why ATJ when there is the perfect next Bond, Aidan Turner out there, walking the streets. It's that simple. There is nothing, again nothing sophisticated about that quire boy with the body of a WWE wrestler.

I remember he was mentioned in tabloids for Bond more from 2015-18. But that’s true, I’m not sure if that many people now would think of him immediately. And honestly, I’m not sure if many people outside the UK would recognise him (hell, I’m not sure how many within the UK would either).
  • 007HallY wrote: »
    I remember he was mentioned in tabloids for Bond more from 2015-18.

Unsurprisingly, this was at the time that And Then There Was None was broadcast and back when this series was still in people's minds. While Aidan Turner was a great choice for the end of the 2010s, it's pretty obvious that he became a frontrunner thanks to this series. His relative lack of exposure since means that he is no longer a name that comes up as often.
    007HallY wrote: »
    I remember he was mentioned in tabloids for Bond more from 2015-18.

Unsurprisingly, this was at the time that And Then There Was None was broadcast and back when this series was still in people's minds. While Aidan Turner was a great choice for the end of the 2010s, it's pretty obvious that he became a frontrunner thanks to this series. His relative lack of exposure since means that he is no longer a name that comes up as often.

Well, I suppose you can argue he was never a front runner in the sense that no auditions for Bond took place at that time. He was simply an actor who’d played a vaguely (and I’d emphasise vaguely) Bondian role.

Personally I’ve never really seen anything that jumps out at me for him as Bond. But he’s rather a good actor. Don’t think he’s keen on the role even if he was offered it now.
  • 007HallY wrote: »
    Well, I suppose you can argue he was never a front runner in the sense that no auditions for Bond took place at that time.

Right, of course. By frontrunner I meant the actor who was the most discussed by fans and media. I remember that, back in 2016, the Mirror published an article telling more or less what is said today about Aaron Taylor Johnson: that he met Barbara Broccoli, etc. While he never was a frontrunner in the sense that no auditions for Bond took place at that time, the fandom was vividly talking about him.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited March 20 Posts: 5,869
    It is interesting that yesterday, not only was ATJ, James Bond and Bullet Train trending on Twitter all of yesterday, but Henry Cavill was as well. I'll be honest, I personally find him the most unimaginative choice someone can think of, which is why I think his name gets thrown around so much. Also, it always seems to be actors that have already played a version of James Bond; Henry Cavill, Tom Hiddleston, Idris Elba, Aiden Turner.
  • edited March 20 Posts: 303
    Well known Bond fan and publisher Graham Rye has given his opinion.

From the Sun newspaper:
    I DON’T think Aaron has the look or the charisma to play James Bond.
    In fact, none of the bookmakers’ favourites have what it takes.
    Bond needs to be around 6ft 2in, following the Sean Connery blueprint.
    There is one actor I have been watching for some time, a Scotsman called Stuart Martin, who has the physicality needed to play 007.
    For me, James Bond needs to go back to his roots.
    All this political correctness is rubbish and it is time the filmmakers realised this character is supposed to be escapist entertainment.
    Bond has never reflected the real world, he has always been a fantasy.
    They should set the next movie back in the 1960s, when he was at his best.
    You can get away with anything in the 1960s, including bringing back names for female characters such as Pussy Galore, played by Honor Blackman.
    No one could complain about that, because that’s the way it was. It is all innocent fun.
    I was born in 1951, when no one was terribly offended by anything.
    The Connery movies were the closest to Ian Fleming’s novels and managed to remain within the realms of possibility.
    Daniel Craig is a good actor but he wasn’t Bond for me.
    His final outing, 2021’s No Time To Die, was a technical masterpiece but the idea of killing off James Bond was one of the movie world’s most stupid ideas.
    They have painted themselves into a cul-de-sac now.

Rye is very old school wanting the more conventional tall dark and handsome, politically incorrect Bond. That image of Bond is arguably outdated in the 21st century and I get the feeling Rye cannot move with the times and accept Bond has changed.

His suggestion for Bond - Stuart Martin

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSM7HmtLRK2DTHZbEfucu0Y8OY_Kf3FKA6Skw&usqp=CAU

Interview

I didn't know Rye wasn't a fan of Daniel Craig. I guess he didn't like his appearance and approach to the role.

I sort of agree with Rye regarding killing off Bond. Stupid? Maybe. Unnecessary? Yes. Eon have to start from scratch which will be a hefty challenge. However, it's happened so no point moaning about it too much. Time to move on. 😉

007HallY wrote: »
    Well, I suppose you can argue he was never a front runner in the sense that no auditions for Bond took place at that time.

Right, of course. By frontrunner I meant the actor who was the most discussed by fans and media. I remember that, back in 2016, the Mirror published an article telling more or less what is said today about Aaron Taylor Johnson: that he met Barbara Broccoli, etc. While he never was a frontrunner in the sense that no auditions for Bond took place at that time, the fandom was vividly talking about him.

Yeah, true. I guess I just hesitate to use words like front runner or try to state an actor’s odds of getting the part (as if in BB’s office there’s a sort of graph with pictures of every British actor that she regularly lowers dependent on when they turn 40 or whatever).
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Stuart Martin is a nice bloke, but he lacks the charisma the role needs.
  • After Masters of the Air I’m personally pulling for Callum Turner. He’s got great screen presence and the right physicality for the role.
    edited March 20 Posts: 8,087
    Henry cavil is uninspired, ATJ is just a solid choice. I think he could prove himself to be a brilliant bond, and he certainly has more of the enigmatic quality of brosnan than Craig did. If these rumours persist, EON might find themselves in a similar situation where ATJ is already bond in the publics imagination.
  • edited March 20 Posts: 6,677
    So we’re still discussing ATJ? I would’ve thought the rumours would have diluted by now.

Note that Barbara said she “couldn’t say anything about…”, and so she didn’t. Clever, clever girl. She’s literally the Boss. Gotta love her. I do. Still waiting for that phone call to write the bloody thing. Oh well.

If ATJ is their choice, I’ll give him a chance, I really will. Maybe I’ll finally make my peace with dubbed films, if some other language gives him a strong voice ;)
  • SmilionSmilion Slovenia
    It should be added, that we have no idea in what direction the producers are taking the series, nor how the reinvention of Bond is going to look like or what is their take on the character. It's impossible to judge if some person is right for a role or not, because all we have are past iterations, but we still judge, based on those past ideas, which actors are a good fit for Bond and should be cast.

EON knows what they are doing, they want to reinvent not follow the pack (they won't cast someone, for whom someone would instantly say "Oh, he should be Bond, he acts like Bond etc", they will cast someone who will work in a role but no one would have thought that he would work ... And all those complaining and judging will be on board from first teaser forward.

If someone would ask me, is Pattinson the best actor fit for Batman in 2020, of course I would say no. God actor, but don't see it ... However, it was a right fit under the interpretation and vision of the producers and the director.
  • meshypushymeshypushy Ireland

Not true actually, many media outlets out there have named him, including comments galore. Moore and Brosnan both named him as a worthy successor. I mean why ATJ when there is the perfect next Bond, Aidan Turner out there, walking the streets. It's that simple. There is nothing, again nothing sophisticated about that quire boy with the body of a WWE wrestler.

I am fully aligned with @buddyoldchap ‘s recent posts on this topic!

I cannot fathom the thought process that ended with ATJ being considered the best option here.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited March 20 Posts: 5,869
    meshypushy wrote: »

I cannot fathom the thought process that ended with ATJ being considered the best option here.
    All I can say that is we're not gonna be in the room. We're never gonna know what ends up being discussed in that room. We're not gonna see these screen tests. We're never gonna know the ins and outs of EON's opinion on certain actors and we'll not know for a while what direction they want to go in, which we've discussed many times, will inform what kind of actors end up in the room and we don't even know who wants to even be in the room in the first place.
    Henry cavil is uninspired, ATJ is just a solid choice. I think he could prove himself to be a brilliant bond, and he certainly has more of the enigmatic quality of brosnan than Craig did. If these rumours persist, EON might find themselves in a similar situation where ATJ is already bond in the publics imagination.

It won’t matter if the rumours persist and he’s not eventually cast as Bond. So many actors have had a similar treatment even close to when the actual Bond actors were announced (ie. Clive Owen). Once the next Bond is cast that’s Bond. It’s only a case of the film itself cementing it and for them to prove themselves.

I will say though, one thing about this rumour that’s been kind of nice to see off these forums and in my daily life is that there’s clearly an interest in seeing a Bond movie/a new Bond. It disproves those who have said that the series will struggle for appeal after Craig/Bond doesn’t have reach amongst younger audiences. The series still has plenty of buzz around it and always did which is good to see.
    Smilion wrote: »
    It should be added, that we have no idea in what direction the producers are taking the series, nor how the reinvention of Bond is going to look like or what is their take on the character. It's impossible to judge if some person is right for a role or not, because all we have are past iterations, but we still judge, based on those past ideas, which actors are a good fit for Bond and should be cast.

EON knows what they are doing, they want to reinvent not follow the pack (they won't cast someone, for whom someone would instantly say "Oh, he should be Bond, he acts like Bond etc", they will cast someone who will work in a role but no one would have thought that he would work ... And all those complaining and judging will be on board from first teaser forward.

If someone would ask me, is Pattinson the best actor fit for Batman in 2020, of course I would say no. God actor, but don't see it ... However, it was a right fit under the interpretation and vision of the producers and the director.

Exactly.
  • meshypushymeshypushy Ireland
    Denbigh wrote: »

All I can say that is we're not gonna be in the room. We're never gonna know what ends up being discussed in that room. We're not gonna see these screen tests. We're never gonna know the ins and outs of EON's opinion on certain actors and we'll not know for a while what direction they want to go in, which we've discussed many times, will inform what kind of actors end up in the room and we don't even know who wants to even be in the room in the first place.

That is very true - this could all be leading up to an epic scene at the end of Bond 26 where the bad guy’s bionic eye is destroyed not by an electromagnetic pulse from an Omega Seamaster but from the shrill pitch of ATJ.

“We don’t really go in for that sort of thing anymore” indeed!
  • buddyoldchapbuddyoldchap Formerly known as JeremyBondon

I am fully aligned with @buddyoldchap ‘s recent posts on this topic!

Smart man ;) Irish pride, Aidan is the man to beat!
    Univex wrote: »
    So we’re still discussing ATJ? I would’ve thought the rumours would have diluted by now.

Note that Barbara said she “couldn’t say anything about…”, and so she didn’t. Clever, clever girl. She’s literally the Boss. Gotta love her. I do. Still waiting for that phone call to write the bloody thing. Oh well.

If ATJ is their choice, I’ll give him a chance, I really will. Maybe I’ll finally make my peace with dubbed films, if some other language gives him a strong voice ;)

I'm stating the obvious but all of this rumour stuff/ free publicity for Taylor-Johnson could be resolved if Eon released a clear unambiguous statement saying:

"No actor has been decided for the role of James Bond. Bond 26 is currently in development but a release date has not been determined."

That's both clear enough and vague enough to convince people that Bond 26 is in development, Aaron Taylor-Johnson is not signed, and the release date is not decided.

Everyone will know the facts and we don't have to fall for click bait newspapers thinking they know the 'facts' better than Eon Productions and Aaron Taylor-Johnson and his agent don't get any more free publicity. Publicity that may have artificially raised his market value/acting fee.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Nobody's making anyone "fall" for these rumors though; that's on you, especially when it comes from The Sun, of all places. That site dropping that info and supposedly walking it back not 24 hours later solidifies the situation even further. We aren't owed a press release every time something like this happens because, as was noted yesterday, they'd be making those statements weekly at that rate.