Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• edited March 19 Posts: 707
    The fact that The Sun are claiming that the offer is on the table but has not been accepted yet means that they have an out even if a different actor is announced. They've not really stuck their neck out at all.

I checked Dark Horizons to see if they had repeated the rumour - they hadn't. I'm not sure anyone actually believes this, I think everyone is carefully saying that this is what The Sun are reporting, and The Sun is saying that the offer has secretly been made but has yet to be accepted. There is nothing substantial here at all, imo.

Dark Horizons now running with it too... ;)
    https://www.darkhorizons.com/taylor-johnson-has-formal-007-offer/

"The BBC reportedly approached both the actor’s reps and EON for comment, with a production insider telling them there’s “no truth in the rumours”."
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited March 19 Posts: 5,869
    But then now it's just a case of whose source/production insider do we believe?

Honestly, overall, I'm not bothered either way, even with ATJ as a potential contender in my eyes. I have no reason to fully believe or disbelieve anything and I'll always prefer an open mind so we'll see what happens.
    Sorry if this one has been shared before:
    https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/aaron-taylor-johnson-who-is-new-james-bond-actor/
    Two observations about this article:

1)they mention that ATJ is lesser known as if it's a bad thing. Seriously that's pretty much the norm for casting a Bond actor.
    2)He's from High Wycombe, Bucks. So he's almost a neighbour. I'm jesting of course but that's kinda cool, as I live nearby. If he's cast it would be one more Bond connection.
    The fact that The Sun are claiming that the offer is on the table but has not been accepted yet means that they have an out even if a different actor is announced. They've not really stuck their neck out at all.

I checked Dark Horizons to see if they had repeated the rumour - they hadn't. I'm not sure anyone actually believes this, I think everyone is carefully saying that this is what The Sun are reporting, and The Sun is saying that the offer has secretly been made but has yet to be accepted. There is nothing substantial here at all, imo.

Dark Horizons now running with it too... ;)
    https://www.darkhorizons.com/taylor-johnson-has-formal-007-offer/

"The BBC reportedly approached both the actor’s reps and EON for comment, with a production insider telling them there’s “no truth in the rumours”."

I seriously doubt a production insider would spill the beans, or would even know regardless. This would be way above their pay grade.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I tell you what I'm not surprised ATJ decided to work with David Letch again on The Fall Guy, which got good reviews after SXSW. Based on what I've seen in response to these rumours, Bullet Train has done a lot to get people behind him.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Things are hotting up... >:)
  • edited March 19 Posts: 2,911
    Yeah, EON don’t tend to respond to rumours. I mean, inevitably they’ll simply be proven untrue over time anyway, and it keeps people talking about Bond.

Honestly, I’d be shocked if ATJ was announced as 007 on Friday…. but if they announced him in a year I wouldn’t be (not that there’s any guarantee it’ll happen). His casting wouldn’t be a prophetic thing to predict at this stage if it did happen, even if the timeline/specifics of this article are complete nonsense (so likely similar to what happened with that Craig three picture deal article in June ‘05 - by that point his name was legitimately associated as a contender for the part from my understanding, and three picture deals are seemingly the norm with new Bonds… I’d be interested to know a) what other rumours that turned out not to be true came out at the same time by The Sun and b) when Craig legitimately signed the contract/what stage auditions were at at this point).
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    007HallY wrote: »
    a) what other rumours that turned out not to be true came out at the same time by The Sun and b) when Craig legitimately signed the contract, which I’d imagine would be later).
    All I could find on other rumours was from the same MI6 article regarding Daniel Craig which stated that The Sun's "story comes off the back of rival newspaper group the Express Group running articles at the weekend that said Clive Owen will be confirmed in the next few days as 007 #6." Remember Craig wasn't actually announced until October of that year.

As for when Craig signed that contract, I doubt that information is out there, but if it was being reported that he did in early April, then I don't see why it wouldn't have been around then. We do know he also apparently signed a $13 million contract in 2007 to reprise the role.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com

I can't stand the heat. I'm getting out of the kitchen.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Dragonpol wrote: »

I can't stand the heat. I'm getting out of the kitchen.
    7a7a445c-dada-4f36-bfa7-6307711cee46_text.gif
  • edited March 19 Posts: 2,911
    Denbigh wrote: »
    007HallY wrote: »
    a) what other rumours that turned out not to be true came out at the same time by The Sun and b) when Craig legitimately signed the contract, which I’d imagine would be later).
    All I could find on other rumours was from the same MI6 article regarding Daniel Craig which stated that The Sun's "story comes off the back of rival newspaper group the Express Group running articles at the weekend that said Clive Owen will be confirmed in the next few days as 007 #6." As for when Craig signed that contract, I doubt that information is out there, but if it was being reported that he did in early April, then I don't see why it wouldn't have been around then. We do know he also apparently signed a $13 million contract in 2007 to reprise the role.

I have seen a few old articles from 2005 mentioning Owen too (which doesn’t seem to be true - as far as I know he never auditioned, and of course that quote you added in has uncanny echoes of this current ATJ rumour). But even in old MI6 Community articles which mention rumours of Brosnan returning for CR, Craig’s name was there. So again, it may well not have been as much an insider scoop or a prophetic bit of information as much as it was the tabloids picking up on something with a grain of somewhat publicly known truth and spinning it into something more to sell papers. At that point I’m sure some would have believed that Craig could have potentially been the next Bond, albeit from a list of many other potential contenders who may or may not have actually been in auditions. It would explain that particular article anyway. But like you I really don’t know the exact timeline/what actually happened at this point.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Yeah it's all guess work really, and again none of this could have any barings at all. We're in a very different time than 2005 so it's hard to say. I've always expected a name to get out because that's the nature of the game even more so nowadays, so if Craig's name was being thrown around the press back then, then it kinda makes me more open-minded with names that come out now. Also, at least with ATJ, they've brought him up at the right time as opposed to when journalists would throw names around while Craig was training for his next one.
    Party this Friday
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Party this Friday

Or mourn…
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    I hope all of this turns out to be true.

1. I want this (new Bond) nailed down so we can get things moving.
    2. I have no problem with ATJ as the next Bond. His range is overlooked: he plays serious roles (Nocturnal Animals) and humorous ones (Bullet Train) with equal ease. I can see him bringing that range to the role and doing great things with it.
  • buddyoldchapbuddyoldchap Formerly known as JeremyBondon
    edited March 19 Posts: 155
    talos7 wrote: »
    Party this Friday

Or mourn…

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952afw7cxjqbfaiv04wabmiiupaymd1bym0brg3s3tb&ep=v1_internal_gif_by_id&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g
    Yeah it's all guess work really, and again none of this could have any barings at all. We're in a very different time than 2005 so it's hard to say. I've always expected a name to get out because that's the nature of the game even more so nowadays, so if Craig's name was being thrown around the press back then, then it kinda makes me more open-minded with names that come out now. Also, at least with ATJ, they've brought him up at the right time as opposed to when journalists would throw names around while Craig was training for his next one.

It’s not something I know a lot about, but I think the nature of these tabloids/rumour mills is that element of guesswork and knowing what to publish when the right times come. Again, whether ATJ is the next Bond or not further down the line he’s not an unlikely candidate (to the point where he might be on EON’s radar/won’t flat out deny everything), and anyone in the know can understand there’s not much info on Bond 26 at the moment. This is the sort of thing that would generate buzz.

Like I’ve said, I think for anyone keeping up with things on this site, we’ll know roughly when there’s an audition process, as we’ll know when more or less to expect Bond 26 (ie. We’ll know more or less when they’ll officially go into pre-production). I can’t say for sure if any names will be leaked, but it may be similar to ‘05. Closer to the time, amongst the nonsense rumours, perhaps certain names will keep coming up. I do think it’s possible to predict who the next Bond will be, but only much, much nearer to the time, and only with a good level of fan level following of Bond 26 news/rumours. Even then not everyone will guess correctly, and no one will know specifics of anything before official announcements.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I don't mind ATJ. They could pick worse, but they could pick better too I'm sure. I'm still not believing any of this, just yet.

But if he ends up being the man, then I'll be rooting for him.
    Party this Friday

Or mourn…

I'll buy you a drink. Celebrate a weight off my shoulders ha
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Party this Friday

Or mourn…

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952afw7cxjqbfaiv04wabmiiupaymd1bym0brg3s3tb&ep=v1_internal_gif_by_id&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g
    This gif comes from a great film by the way ;)

And yeah I get what you mean @007HallY :)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    If it ends up being true, he wasn't high on my list of favorites at all, but yes, they could absolutely do worse. I loved him in Bullet Train.
    Do you think if i told the sun my dog was playing 007 they would believe me
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Do you think if i told the sun my dog was playing 007 they would believe me

Only if your dog is male, white and English.
  • edited March 19 Posts: 303
    bondywondy wrote: »
    Lots of 'ifs' but if Johnson is the next Bond, if Nolan is the director, if the powers at be at Pinewood are prepping Bond 26, if Amazon and Eon have agreed a November 2026 release date.... Barbara Broccoli was lying to the press. That's not her not being evasive or being reluctant, it's bare faced lies and I don't know why she would need to act that way. She would be doing herself a disservice by lying to fans, to the press for no good reason. 🙄 I don't get why she would need to play the lying game. She could have said "things are moving ahead with Bond 26 but it's too early to confirm anything." That would be honest.

She told the truth, from a certain point of view.

;)

If nothing happens this year, complete silence from Eon, then she was fully honest. I get why many fans don't care if she is lying because it means Bond 26 is in production and it may come out next year. My comments aren't meant to bash B Broccoli. You can only go on what she said and if "nothing is happening yet" (let's say as of February 2024) there is no reason to cast Johnson one month later.

I would suggest the number one priority is secure the release date. For example: November 2026. Work backwards from that date. November 2026 back to now. That's 2 years and eight months. If Bond 26 starts filming late 2025 or January 2026 the next Bond actor can be announced summer 2025. The screenplay - which we all know Eon likes to alter, it's rarely smooth sailing in the 'getting the screenplay agreed' department (!) - can be locked by summer 2025 and that can pave the way to announce the new Bond. If the release date is agreed there is a plan. It's not "nothing is happening yet."

I've no idea if Bond 26 is scheduled for 2026. Just a random guess. Bond 26 in 2026 sounds a good way to market the film. Has nice symmetry. It might look cool on a teaser poster. Just an idea.

• peterpeter Toronto
    edited March 19 Posts: 8,507
    I've been watching THE GENTLEMEN and I am really enjoying the series, the cast, and Theo James in particular.

He'd make an excellent James Bond, BUT, and this may just be me, he reminds me, for some reason, of Daniel Craig.

I don't know what it is, apart from a similar sounding voice...

There's something in his over all presence, and the way he presents himself...

And so, I sadly wouldn't want to see him play the role (as I don't want to be reminded of past Bond actors, lol)....

I know this is likely me, and I can't even pinpoint why I see similarities in these two (it's not in appearance, but presence, and what that presence is, I can't quite describe). He certainly reminds of Craig as well, when he delivers a few quips....

I dunno.

I do admire his looks and stature and he commands my attention, but there's that Craig"thing" that I keep knocking into...
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex

Then where did it start, eh?

I would suggest it started with The Sun, however if you are looking for someone to benefit from ATJ rumoured to be the new James Bond, might I suggest Sony, who must be looking at the upcoming Kraven The Hunter release and dreading another Morbius/Madame Web belly-flop.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    The thing I was wondering about with Theo was whether he'd be willing to get rid of his stubble/beard.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    The thing I was wondering about with Theo was whether he'd be willing to get rid of his stubble/beard.

Haha, I couldn't help but think the same too, and wondered what he looks like without it.