Comments

mtm wrote: »
    peter wrote: »
    It's Tuesday.

They said he signs by the end of the week-- and they're not talking Sunday of this week. They're talking by Friday.

So if this is true, then we will know, by the latest, in three days.

But if he doesn't sign, can I sell a few Blockbuster stores to a few of you? Guaranteed, great price!

The last story (I linked to in my previous post) said he had been cast and would be unveiled as Bond in March… 2023. So I’d say we probably already know if it’s true or not! :)
    Just for perspective, the U.K. papers were running a humorous story about Harrison Ford’s doctor playing the Indiana Jones theme when he was having a colonoscopy; a story Ford told in an awards speech about seven or eight years ago. John Williams mentioned it in an interview last week.
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/26454991/harrison-ford-colonoscopy-indiana-jones-theme/amp/

It’s amazing that these rags get away with utter nonsense.

This Bond hoax surely must end once there is no signing by this week?

Sky News and ITV are a bit more credible than The Sun, and Sky are still running the story at the top of every hour.

The breaking news at Deadline since last night has been:

https://deadline.com/2024/03/bill-weinstein-in-talks-to-join-paradigm-talent-agency-the-dish-1235861884/

@jetsetwilly , if the new 007 was about to sign, this would be the breaking news, not the fired co-founder of Verve ready to sign with Paradigm.

And, unlike the Sun, or Sky, or whatever, who are just repeating the Sun’s “report”, this IS in Deadline’s wheelhouse, as it is in the wheelhouse of The Hollywood Reporter and Variety. This is their bread and butter, and not even a peep from them (and these outlets actually have legitimate entertainment reporters).

I don’t have a horse in this race, but to think a script is being worked on now (the only thing in the “report” I believe), and they cast not only without auditions, without a script, but by coronation, is the biggest BS signal in this entire joke… if ATJ ever becomes Bond, it’ll be after a heavy vetting process and audition process. There is t a shortcut to the role.

We'll know one way or the other by the end of this week. This story seems to have caught fire quickly more than the usual BS rumours that often circulate.

No more or less than the last time the Sun ran it.

https://metro.co.uk/2022/12/11/aaron-taylor-johnson-already-filmed-classic-007-gun-barrel-sequence-17918767/amp/

https://uk.style.yahoo.com/aaron-taylor-johnson-filmed-iconic-180000428.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAGGtrv9qk_sqsKfdugVV7iBhxbg_5hItXR-O-_HYikp_gziVZ0wsZrq9GAUP46Dtj0I8QslTbeB5zq28FZUc1gHNL57dbNU1EZV-QaM7LtRC7_-ARXMjBf032a7eXiloA4IsgLEAfF-1DRgnXj2yT-px5r5HDkLYVJNZW9PBNFMN#

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-11525263/amp/Aaron-Taylor-Johnson-filmed-iconic-gun-barrel-teaser-footage-Bond-producers.html

https://www.maxim.com/entertainment/marvel-star-aaron-taylor-johnson-rumored-to-be-next-james-bond/

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/james-bond-bookies-favourite-already-28704925.amp

Etc.

Maybe it’s true this time but I’d bet on this being a crying wolf situation.

This story is different to the last one, and also leaves The Sun with a bit more egg on its face, as this is supposed to happen this week.

Is the story different? It's still 'Johnson is 007'. I really don't think they care if they look silly: folks who read it will have forgotten by the end of the week, it's just us fans who will remember, as we remember them doing it last time.
    And as Denbeigh says, if he gets signed this week it doesn't necessarily follow that he'd be announced, so there's enough plausible deniability built into the story. There's little reason to believe this story, and more reasons to think it's untrue. That different (and the same) outlets are reporting The Sun's story this time is more a sign of how busy the news cycle is today than any reflection of the story's veracity.

Maybe The Sun does have a reliable inside source though? It looks like they got it right back in 2005 too - https://www.theguardian.com/film/2005/apr/06/jamesbond.news
    Don't be so gullible guys
  • Irish007Irish007 Dublin
    edited March 19 Posts: 27
    Usually palm these off as the usual Sun just guessing as they have done over the last few years but other outlets picking it up albeit referencing the Sun makes me think there might be something in it .
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Haven't we seen this countless times, where The Sun tosses out whatever rumor and some semi-reputable outlets pick it up and quote back to them? Doesn't mean a thing, nor does it necessarily mean it'd have to be confirmed this week; just because he's "signing this week" doesn't mean general moviegoers would find out by then too.

Hogwash, I say.
  • buddyoldchapbuddyoldchap Formerly known as JeremyBondon
    Yeah I call BS. That's me done if the guy with the higher voice than my 2 year old gets the gig. Too slimey and street, in all honesty.

This guy?

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It's Tuesday.

They said he signs by the end of the week-- and they're not talking Sunday of this week. They're talking by Friday.

So if this is true, then we will know, by the latest, in three days.

But if he doesn't sign, can I sell a few Blockbuster stores to a few of you? Guaranteed, great price!

The last story (I linked to in my previous post) said he had been cast and would be unveiled as Bond in March… 2023. So I’d say we probably already know if it’s true or not! :)
    Just for perspective, the U.K. papers were running a humorous story about Harrison Ford’s doctor playing the Indiana Jones theme when he was having a colonoscopy; a story Ford told in an awards speech about seven or eight years ago. John Williams mentioned it in an interview last week.
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/26454991/harrison-ford-colonoscopy-indiana-jones-theme/amp/

It’s amazing that these rags get away with utter nonsense.

This Bond hoax surely must end once there is no signing by this week?

Sky News and ITV are a bit more credible than The Sun, and Sky are still running the story at the top of every hour.

The breaking news at Deadline since last night has been:

https://deadline.com/2024/03/bill-weinstein-in-talks-to-join-paradigm-talent-agency-the-dish-1235861884/

@jetsetwilly , if the new 007 was about to sign, this would be the breaking news, not the fired co-founder of Verve ready to sign with Paradigm.

And, unlike the Sun, or Sky, or whatever, who are just repeating the Sun’s “report”, this IS in Deadline’s wheelhouse, as it is in the wheelhouse of The Hollywood Reporter and Variety. This is their bread and butter, and not even a peep from them (and these outlets actually have legitimate entertainment reporters).

I don’t have a horse in this race, but to think a script is being worked on now (the only thing in the “report” I believe), and they cast not only without auditions, without a script, but by coronation, is the biggest BS signal in this entire joke… if ATJ ever becomes Bond, it’ll be after a heavy vetting process and audition process. There is t a shortcut to the role.

We'll know one way or the other by the end of this week. This story seems to have caught fire quickly more than the usual BS rumours that often circulate.

No more or less than the last time the Sun ran it.

https://metro.co.uk/2022/12/11/aaron-taylor-johnson-already-filmed-classic-007-gun-barrel-sequence-17918767/amp/

https://uk.style.yahoo.com/aaron-taylor-johnson-filmed-iconic-180000428.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAGGtrv9qk_sqsKfdugVV7iBhxbg_5hItXR-O-_HYikp_gziVZ0wsZrq9GAUP46Dtj0I8QslTbeB5zq28FZUc1gHNL57dbNU1EZV-QaM7LtRC7_-ARXMjBf032a7eXiloA4IsgLEAfF-1DRgnXj2yT-px5r5HDkLYVJNZW9PBNFMN#

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-11525263/amp/Aaron-Taylor-Johnson-filmed-iconic-gun-barrel-teaser-footage-Bond-producers.html

https://www.maxim.com/entertainment/marvel-star-aaron-taylor-johnson-rumored-to-be-next-james-bond/

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/james-bond-bookies-favourite-already-28704925.amp

Etc.

Maybe it’s true this time but I’d bet on this being a crying wolf situation.

This story is different to the last one, and also leaves The Sun with a bit more egg on its face, as this is supposed to happen this week.

Is the story different? It's still 'Johnson is 007'. I really don't think they care if they look silly: folks who read it will have forgotten by the end of the week, it's just us fans who will remember, as we remember them doing it last time.
    And as Denbeigh says, if he gets signed this week it doesn't necessarily follow that he'd be announced, so there's enough plausible deniability built into the story. There's little reason to believe this story, and more reasons to think it's untrue. That different (and the same) outlets are reporting The Sun's story this time is more a sign of how busy the news cycle is today than any reflection of the story's veracity.

Maybe The Sun does have a reliable inside source though? It looks like they got it right back in 2005 too - https://www.theguardian.com/film/2005/apr/06/jamesbond.news

Maybe, I'm not ruling anything out. But whoever worked for them twenty years ago probably isn't the person writing this story, and as I said, I think there's more reason to disbelieve this than believe it.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    That video is cringeworthy. I was worried he was going to break his neck
  • Informe_James_BondInforme_James_Bond Dominican Republic
    Whether this news is true or false, the only useful thing is that we have content to share and discuss.

I always said that after the awards season ended the rumors would be reactivated again and that we might have our first official news.

If they have an actor, it means that they have been working but also that they already have a director. Will the director or actor be announced first? Will there be the press conference this year to present the cast? Bond 26 for October/November 2025?

;)
  • edited March 19 Posts: 3,279
    Here is The Sun's take on YouTube. Howell Davies has balls to put his neck on the line here -
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    edited March 19 Posts: 1,368
    Hmmmm, this news really travelled fast and around the world this time. Here in Lekki, Lagos...cinephiles and Bond fans are already excited by ATJ's Bond rumour. What I can say is, whether the rumour is true or not, majority around the world like the idea of ATJ as James Bond. Plus, I don't think we're that far-off from Bond 7 and Bond 26 taking shape.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Virtually everyone he mentions as having been in the running were never actually to the running.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    The fact that The Sun are claiming that the offer is on the table but has not been accepted yet means that they have an out even if a different actor is announced. They've not really stuck their neck out at all.

I checked Dark Horizons to see if they had repeated the rumour - they hadn't. I'm not sure anyone actually believes this, I think everyone is carefully saying that this is what The Sun are reporting, and The Sun is saying that the offer has secretly been made but has yet to be accepted. There is nothing substantial here at all, imo.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    If they also cast Anya Taylor Joy in the lead female role then we can have...

ATJ and ATJ in... Bond 26 :D
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited March 19 Posts: 5,869
    I just think it’s nice to be reminded of how much general audiences/fans still care about the property.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I just think it’s nice to be reminded of how much general audiences/fans still care about the property.

Exactly!
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited March 19 Posts: 8,087
    The fact that The Sun are claiming that the offer is on the table but has not been accepted yet means that they have an out even if a different actor is announced. They've not really stuck their neck out at all.

I checked Dark Horizons to see if they had repeated the rumour - they hadn't. I'm not sure anyone actually believes this, I think everyone is carefully saying that this is what The Sun are reporting, and The Sun is saying that the offer has secretly been made but has yet to be accepted. There is nothing substantial here at all, imo.

Then where did it start, eh?
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

Exactly

Purrrhaps ATJ his agent? Trolling the planet for clix.
  • edited March 19 Posts: 303
    Lots of 'ifs' but if Johnson is the next Bond, if Nolan is the director, if the powers at be at Pinewood are prepping Bond 26, if Amazon and Eon have agreed a November 2026 release date.... Barbara Broccoli was lying to the press. That's not her being evasive or being reluctant, it's bare faced lies and I don't know why she would need to act that way. She would be doing herself a disservice by lying to fans, to the press for no good reason. 🙄 I don't get why she would need to play the lying game. She could have said "things are moving ahead with Bond 26 but it's too early to confirm anything." That would be honest.
    Asked by Baz Bamigboye for an update on the 26th James Bond film and casting the next 007, Broccoli was politely non-committal. "No”, she said, “there's nothing I can tell you about the next Bond film. There's nothing. Nothing is happening yet.”15 Feb 2024

So last month nothing is happening to this month and it's all happening? 🤭

Yeah, except I would think if your client didn't actually have the part, the last thing you'd want out in the tabloids is the headline "offer on the table, EON waiting for response."
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    @Mendes4Lyfe do you believe these rumours?
  • edited March 19 Posts: 704
    bondywondy wrote: »
    Lots of 'ifs' but if Johnson is the next Bond, if Nolan is the director, if the powers at be at Pinewood are prepping Bond 26, if Amazon and Eon have agreed a November 2026 release date.... Barbara Broccoli was lying to the press. That's not her not being evasive or being reluctant, it's bare faced lies and I don't know why she would need to act that way. She would be doing herself a disservice by lying to fans, to the press for no good reason. 🙄 I don't get why she would need to play the lying game. She could have said "things are moving ahead with Bond 26 but it's too early to confirm anything." That would be honest.

She told the truth, from a certain point of view.

;)

Yeah, except I would think if your client didn't actually have the part, the last thing you'd want out in the tabloids is the headline "offer on the table, EON waiting for response."

Why don't we ask ourselves the question: why would The Sun, the rag of rags, out of all the media outlets out there get the scoop of the 'century'?
  • edited March 19 Posts: 3,279

Why don't we ask ourselves the question: why would The Sun, the rag of rags, out of all the media outlets out there get the scoop of the 'century'?

Don't underestimate The Sun.

They got the `scoop of the century' back in 2005 too.... ;)
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    It's really about who you know and whether you have a source. Lesser known publications and journalists have their own sources in all sorts of place.

Unlike the American government, we prefer not to get our bad news from CNN.
  • meshypushymeshypushy Ireland
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    That video is cringeworthy. I was worried he was going to break his neck

I was hoping his voice was going to break…

Dark Horizons now running with it too... ;)
    https://www.darkhorizons.com/taylor-johnson-has-formal-007-offer/

Dark Horizons now running with it too... ;)
    https://www.darkhorizons.com/taylor-johnson-has-formal-007-offer/

holy moly...
  • edited March 19 Posts: 2,901

There is likely a reason why ATJ has been singled out in these stories (none of which I believe are true). He himself has never said he’s not interested in the part from what I can tell, and I don’t he’s ever directly addressed what’s been said in any of these articles.

He’s obviously an actor with a level of fame - perhaps more of the ‘up and coming’ kind than A-Lister, but still undeniably a level of fame nonetheless. He has a second hand connection to EON and has likely met Broccoli, even if just socially. As I’ve said before, it could be a case where he’s met with BB in order for her to ask how interested he’d be in auditioning when the time comes (not to say that this guarantees him the role, and likely they’d have done the same with other actors, again on an informal basis). If this is the case, he’s not going to flat out deny anything, and such an informal meeting can be blown out of proportion. Obviously I can’t say the latter has definitely happened, but regardless he’s an actor with some name recognition who could actually end up being the next James Bond. If The Sun wanted to get clicks they’d use such an actor for their headlines (and IIRC similar tabloids did throw out some much lesser known names around the same time as ATJ’s was for Bond last year - Lucien Laviscount being one, which obviously wouldn’t generate anywhere near as much buzz/clicks for these outlets). So even if this story is basically… well, a story, it has the finest sliver of truth to make it plausible to some. As others have said they have an out when ATJ is not announced as Bond on Friday, and potentially if he’s announced as Bond in a year they can point to that.