Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Very true @007HallY it's quite possible that Theo James doesn't want too commit to such a role. Just because many of us feel he's a good fit for it, doesn't mean that he as an actor wants to do it.
    I do also agree, with those who suggest that maybe he's playing coy. Never a good idea to be gushing or overly confident about taking on the role.
    As far as screen testing and negotiations go, who amongst us knows truly how EON go about this process. Rog and Cubby negotiated every film from MR to AVTAK on a single film basis with Rog always claiming the latest film was his last.
    My point is, there's a lot that goes on behind closed doors that we're obviously not privy too. Who knows what's going on, till we get an announcement from EON.

talos7 wrote: »
    At this point James is adamant that he doesn’t fee that he’s right for Bond. Is he sincere when he says this or is he playing the game?

He's right, chief said he ain't it.

You can't deny that James has gained a lot of fans based on his role in The Gentleman.
    Right or wrong, he's made an impact with fans of this forum.
    Benny wrote: »
    Very true @007HallY it's quite possible that Theo James doesn't want too commit to such a role. Just because many of us feel he's a good fit for it, doesn't mean that he as an actor wants to do it.
    I do also agree, with those who suggest that maybe he's playing coy. Never a good idea to be gushing or overly confident about taking on the role.
    As far as screen testing and negotiations go, who amongst us knows truly how EON go about this process. Rog and Cubby negotiated every film from MR to AVTAK on a single film basis with Rog always claiming the latest film was his last.
    My point is, there's a lot that goes on behind closed doors that we're obviously not privy too. Who knows what's going on, till we get an announcement from EON.

Oh definitely, there's a lot that goes on behind closed doors and only a few are privy to it. And of course I don't actually know whether Moore genuinely was persuaded on a film by film basis after initially wanting to leave, or if it was a case where this was an attempt to facilitate more pay, regardless of whether he was eventually invited back or not (it may well have been a combination of both).

But still, let's say hypothetically Theo James had been approached at one point by EON last year. No screen tests or anything, just a quick meeting to ask whether or not he would be interested in auditioning closer to the time. He's said he would be interested if offered, yes. Why would he then decide to publicly say that he doesn't think he'd be right for the role, even if joking about it? Even if he were unsure it'd be an odd thing to do. I don't see any sort of double bluff there working to his benefit. More likely if he was in that situation, and was legitimately interested in the role, he'd surely say something like, 'nothing's started with it yet I'm told and I'm concentrating on this project for now', 'it's not my decision but I'd be interested if I was offered', or, 'it depends on the script and director, but potentially I'd be interested if offered' etc.
    It worked for Craig. He wasn't that interested either.

It's not as straightforward as that. He's said that when approached privately about taking the role by Broccoli he was taken a bit aback as it wasn't on his radar. He liked Bond, but wasn't a fan of the direction of the series past GE seemingly. Likely he didn't immediately think he was right for the role, but he did ask to read a script and for all intents and purposes was convinced.

To me that's more on the fence than not interested. I think Bond legitimately wasn't a role he'd ever thought he'd get, much less be offered. And he seemingly considered taking the job like any other role - would he be right for it, was the creative direction to his interest/something he thought would work etc.

Like I said, if EON specifically want James, he'll be approached. They might even try to convince him. Hell, he may change his mind. He could well be Bond. But he's probably not lying or playing some weird game at the current time - he legitimately doesn't think he's right for Bond.
  • Maybe Theo could dub ATJ?
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Theo James is too old.

The smart money is on someone who has been in prestige films and is closer to 30, your Harris Dickinsons and Paul Mescals.
    echo wrote: »
    Theo James is too old.

The smart money is on someone who has been in prestige films and is closer to 30, your Harris Dickinsons and Paul Mescals.

Perhaps Theo James is too old.

But I wouldn't discount him just yet. ;)
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Of the known commodities Suter and James are my top two picks; both possess the qualities that I'm looking for in a Bond actor. At this point James has an edge in that he has experience, and his success in "The Gentleman" has boosted his stock. But, he may actually not be interested in committing to a role like Bond.

Suter is a decade younger, not as established, but is poised for stardom; committing to a possible 15 year run as 007 may be more appealing to him.
    Let’s be honest, whoever takes the role, it’s a life changing part to accept.
    Absolutely…
  • buddyoldchapbuddyoldchap Formerly known as JeremyBondon
    edited March 15 Posts: 155
    I'd definitely take Suter over Theo. I feel Theo James tried to imitate Connery in TG more than once. He had one look/emotion the whole series and it was annoyed

That said, this man isn't too old and he should be the next Bond:

9072b263725355a4791478e5ac0ee9f0.jpg

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I feel like anyone who's 40 and above at this rate is immediately removed as a possibility, unless they have an ace up their sleeve and can return to putting out an installment every other year, which isn't happening.
    I'd definitely take Suter over Theo. I feel Theo James tried to imitate Connery in TG more than once. He had one look/emotion the whole series and it was annoyed

He certainly has the look for the role, but he's coming up 41.
    The main problem I see for Aidan is that he's not really doing anything that's putting him out there. By that I mean he's not really getting the attention he probably needs.
    Sure he's got an active resume, but none of those roles have really kept him on the radar.
    And Then There Were None is almost 10 years old, Poldark finished almost 5 years ago.
    Since then he's done some very good work, but his exposure isn't quite what it was.
    Perhaps Rivals will put him back in the spotlight. ;)
    Well, I think Turner’s another one who’s not all that interested really (at least from what I’ve read/ from what I understand are his most recent comments). He’s had Bond rumours thrown at him for at least 10 years now as well.

I don’t think his age matters, but I think the most likely scenario here is he won’t be what they’re looking for in a new Bond and won’t consider him. But who knows…
  • buddyoldchapbuddyoldchap Formerly known as JeremyBondon
    Benny wrote: »

He certainly has the look for the role, but he's coming up 41.
    The main problem I see for Aidan is that he's not really doing anything that's putting him out there. By that I mean he's not really getting the attention he probably needs.
    Sure he's got an active resume, but none of those roles have really kept him on the radar.
    And Then There Were None is almost 10 years old, Poldark finished almost 5 years ago.
    Since then he's done some very good work, but his exposure isn't quite what it was.
    Perhaps Rivals will put him back in the spotlight. ;)

I agree his biggest enemy is his age. However we do not all age the same way. Turner could still pull it off, the others did, but not with an idiotic 5 year gap in between films.

Rivals could be interesting, but I do hope he will be cast in Bergerac. Supposedly Norton and Tenant are also in the running to star.

When will we finally get some actual info...

*sigh*
    40+ actor gets one film done. 35 and under gets three or fours films. Better make it a great 1. 01a241c7-1443-4d50-b195-8645a4df3955_text.gif
    007HallY wrote: »

It's not as straightforward as that. He's said that when approached privately about taking the role by Broccoli he was taken a bit aback as it wasn't on his radar. He liked Bond, but wasn't a fan of the direction of the series past GE seemingly. Likely he didn't immediately think he was right for the role, but he did ask to read a script and for all intents and purposes was convinced.

To me that's more on the fence than not interested. I think Bond legitimately wasn't a role he'd ever thought he'd get, much less be offered. And he seemingly considered taking the job like any other role - would he be right for it, was the creative direction to his interest/something he thought would work etc.

Like I said, if EON specifically want James, he'll be approached. They might even try to convince him. Hell, he may change his mind. He could well be Bond. But he's probably not lying or playing some weird game at the current time - he legitimately doesn't think he's right for Bond.

Also getting such role brings a lot of pressure. In fact, I doubt there is any other role that has such baggage and history attached to it. Even if tempted, it's normal an actor would doubt he's right for it, have impostor syndrome,, etc.

It's always about the script ;)

We need good writing.
    edited March 16 Posts: 7,980
    Absolutely. As it may apply to Theo James, Craig showed initial reluctance; he actually was hoping that the script was not good. He said

““When I got the call, it really was left-field.” He continued, “Honored though I was, I wasn’t deeply enthusiastic”,

as well as

““For me, at that stage, it was promises, promises. Unfortunately, they didn’t have a script and I can’t say yes without a script.”

I can see a situation where James is in the same position; ‘show me a script and I’ll give you an answer

https://fandomwire.com/i-was-honestly-wanting-to-dislike-it-daniel-craig-nearly-declined-james-bond-role-before-steven-spielberg-convinced-him-after-working-in-131m-oscar-nominated-movie/

Yes, I do like it when they think they’re not the type. Sign of modesty and a bit of lucid reluctancy on taking such a life changing enterprise. Besides, they are a bit snobbish on their role choices, and that’s fine. Theo, because he’s done his fair bit of (teen fiction) crap and knows the pathos that comes with that type of (rotten) attention, I suppose. Craig, because he balanced fairly indy good flicks and tv with some secondary performances in big, well regarded, films.
  • edited March 16 Posts: 9,771
    peter wrote: »
    Risico007 wrote: »

ATJ was at a Bond event because his wife is good friends with Broccoli and also shot an International Women's Day with Craig back in 2011 or 2012.... she’s no stranger to EoN, @Risico007 … and by your logic it could even be that it’s actually Sam Taylor-Wood that Broccoli invited because she wants her to be the next Bond director.

It’s not the case, but using your logic…
    Again it just seems odd but we will see

It's odd that an actor who is married to a friend of Barbara Broccoli, and who herself is a director, and directed Daniel Craig in a short promo for International Women's Day, was at a Bond event? An event that was two years ago?

Okay.

Once again, by that logic, I think the rumour should be: Sam Taylor Wood, film and tv director, and friend of Barbara Broccoli, is most likely the next Bond director since she was at a 60th celebration for the Bond series.

Honestly, there's nothing odd about it.

I have no idea if Callum Turner or ATJ or John Doe will be the next Bond, but having a feeling that an actor is the next 007 because he was at an event with his wife, who herself is a friend of Broccoli's, and she has done work with EoN and the last James Bond actor, seems a little like seeing a message that isn't there.

In an extended fashion, Sam Wood is a part of the EON family, and that's why she and her husband were at this event. That seems a more likely explanation.

Edit: and if EoN, MGW and BB, knew two years ago that their man was ATJ (before a script was written), then why are we not in production on the new Bond film?

I mean, if this is their guy, before a script has been conceived, then at least they’re steps ahead of the game and could now tailor a story for … Taylor.

But this hasn’t happened. Which could be seen as an indication that no one, not ATJ or Risico007, has been anointed as the new 007.

Lets see why would they not have a script yet…

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_Writers_Guild_of_America_strike

I guess you got me @peter there was no reason a script couldnt be done

Look i am not an ATJ supporter and i have said multiple times i hope i am wrong and he isnt 007….. but its not just that he was at these events but that he seems like the kind of guy Babs would go gaga over looks similar to Dalton and Craig…

Could i be wrong sure could i be right sure we wont know any time soon

I do feel though your letting our private argument color your response to me… so publicly i will say

Peter I am sorry i was stupid and I apologize for everything

There can we all move on and discuss 007
    Please be wrong…
  • edited March 16 Posts: 9,771
    Please be wrong…

Ironically enough speaking of potential 007’s now that the actors i want are legit too old there isn’t anyone i want its weird i want to be excited for bond 26 but meh

If i had to choose one maybe James Norton he was ok in the bob marley bio pic
  • peterpeter Toronto

ATJ was at a Bond event because his wife is good friends with Broccoli and also shot an International Women's Day with Craig back in 2011 or 2012.... she’s no stranger to EoN, @Risico007 … and by your logic it could even be that it’s actually Sam Taylor-Wood that Broccoli invited because she wants her to be the next Bond director.

It's odd that an actor who is married to a friend of Barbara Broccoli, and who herself is a director, and directed Daniel Craig in a short promo for International Women's Day, was at a Bond event? An event that was two years ago?

Okay.

Once again, by that logic, I think the rumour should be: Sam Taylor Wood, film and tv director, and friend of Barbara Broccoli, is most likely the next Bond director since she was at a 60th celebration for the Bond series.

I have no idea if Callum Turner or ATJ or John Doe will be the next Bond, but having a feeling that an actor is the next 007 because he was at an event with his wife, who herself is a friend of Broccoli's, and she has done work with EoN and the last James Bond actor, seems a little like seeing a message that isn't there.

In an extended fashion, Sam Wood is a part of the EON family, and that's why she and her husband were at this event. That seems a more likely explanation.

Edit: and if EoN, MGW and BB, knew two years ago that their man was ATJ (before a script was written), then why are we not in production on the new Bond film?

I mean, if this is their guy, before a script has been conceived, then at least they’re steps ahead of the game and could now tailor a story for … Taylor.

But this hasn’t happened. Which could be seen as an indication that no one, not ATJ or Risico007, has been anointed as the new 007.

Look i am not an ATJ supporter and i have said multiple times i hope i am wrong and he isnt 007….. but its not just that he was at these events but that he seems like the kind of guy Babs would go gaga over looks similar to Dalton and Craig…

Casting before script?, or; script before cast?

By your logic, they knew, in November of ‘22 that ATJ is Bond. So— that’s a full six months before the WGA strike my friend.

If they knew he was Bond by that point, they’d have a head start BEFORE the strike to have a couple of solid drafts under their belt.

The strike ended in September ‘23– that’s six months ago. Plenty of time to then polish their script and make announcements…

But none of this has happened.

Once again, by your logic, I’d just as soon say Broccoli was after her friend, who is a member of the EoN family (when she directed Craig and Dench (in VO), as their characters in the Bond series, for International Women’s Day), to direct the next Bond film.

And, really, if ATJ was cast about two years ago, you do t think that “secret” would have been blown by now??

I’m not trying to “get you”, by the way…

I just think this is the more obvious explanation , grounded in some kind of facts (rather than feelings):

ATJ’s wife is a member of the EoN family.
    She directed Craig as his James Bond persona for International Women’s Day, and Judi Dench (in VO), played her M character.
    The chance that a member of the EoN family was invited to a celebration of James Bond is highly probable (and there were likely many more members of their family in attendance that night).

So, there’s that…, and;

There’s a very good possibility @Risico007 , that no one will be cast until AFTER a script is done, a director is hired, and auditions are complete. If ATJ gets an audition and eventually wins the role, it wasn’t because he was anointed, almost two years ago, it will be because he won the role over other candidates in a highly competitive audition process for a highly sought after job.

Okay.

By your logic, they knew, in November of ‘22 that ATJ is Bond. So— that’s a full six months before the WGA strike my friend.

If they knew he was Bond by that point, they’d have a head start BEFORE the strike to have a couple of solid drafts under their belt.

The strike ended in September ‘23– that’s six months ago. Plenty of time to then polish their script and make announcements…

Once again, by your logic, I’d just as soon say Broccoli was after her friend, who is a member of the EoN family (when she directed Craig and Dench (in VO), as their characters in the Bond series, for International Women’s Day), to direct the next Bond film.

And, really, if ATJ was cast about two years ago, you do t think that “secret” would have been blown by now??

I just think this is the more obvious explanation , grounded in some kind of facts (rather than feelings):

She directed Craig as his James Bond persona for International Women’s Day, and Judi Dench (in VO), played her M character.
    The chance that a member of the EoN family was invited to a celebration of James Bond is highly probable (and there were likely many more members of their family in attendance that night).

So, there’s that…, and;

There’s a very good possibility @Risico007 , that no one will be cast until AFTER a script is done, a director is hired, and auditions are complete. If ATJ gets an audition and eventually wins the role, it wasn’t because he was anointed, almost two years ago, it will be because he won the role over other candidates in a highly competitive audition process for a highly sought after job.

While you might be right my gut says the role is his if he wants it…. That being said i would of bet a gentleman’s dollar Nolan would be anounced as writer/director of bond 26 right after Oppenhimer came out… and i was obviously wrong so maybe i am wrong here….

Although it just dawned on me what if ATJ is Bond for the new game… again main stream actors have done just video games before and most news sites could care less about a bond game then how their grass is growing hence why it would be a secret still… and would make sense why ATJ was acting similar to Craig etc as if he was part of the family…

I dont know like i said right now if someone held a gun to my head and asked who is the next 007 my gut says its ATJ but the reason i never gamble on anything in hollywood is because i am always wrong
  • peterpeter Toronto

Okay.

So, there’s that…, and;

While you might be right my gut says the role is his if he wants it…. That being said i would of bet a gentleman’s dollar Nolan would be anounced as writer/director of bond 26 right after Oppenhimer came out… and i was obviously wrong so maybe i am wrong here….

Although it just dawned on me what if ATJ is Bond for the new game… again main stream actors have done just video games before and most news sites could care less about a bond game then how their grass is growing hence why it would be a secret still… and would make sense why ATJ was acting similar to Craig etc as if he was part of the family…

I dont know like i said right now if someone held a gun to my head and asked who is the next 007 my gut says its ATJ but the reason i never gamble on anything in hollywood is because i am always wrong

If someone held a gun to my head I’d make the safer answer: they won’t anoint a new Bond without, at least, a script and auditions— like any other film project happening in the world at the moment (why wouldn’t EoN do auditions, @Risico007 ? Batman actors are auditioned. Superman. But not James Bond?? Sounds…. Unrealistic, at best), so therefore: no actor has yet been cast.

In the end, like with the budget conversation: I don’t have a horse in the race, and I don’t really care who gets the nod as EoN have been right with their casting over all these years.

But I do know that they’ll go through development of the script first. Then likely hire a director. Then let the best actors fight to get the role via carefully managed auditions (to just simply give it to an actor based off what? And the vetting process in today’s day and age, where hundreds of millions of dollars are at stake?? Naw, anointments don’t work on huge blockbuster pictures (I mean if we were making an indie pic together? At $5 million bucks? Sure, get a lead actor with a name, who can sell to territories , and you most certainly won’t be auditioning an ATJ— you simply make an offer; but on a $200 million (plus) tentpole? With multiple films on the line??? Nope. That just ain’t happening).
    ATJ would be a strange choice for what is primarily a voice role.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    M_Blaise wrote: »
    ATJ would be a strange choice for what is primarily a voice role.

I just don’t see this casting. There are way better candidates. The game being played on this site shows there are some great potential candidates, many of them with better tools in the tool box compared to ATJ.

And there are probably a few candidates that haven’t yet shown up on our radars yet.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited March 16 Posts: 5,869
    It does seem ATJ is more popular amongst general fans than the hardcore ones. I remember the response on social media when the rumours started being overwhelmingly positive.