Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• edited February 28 Posts: 2,954
    echo wrote: »
    Venutius wrote: »
    Having to follow Connery still means that, all these years later, Lazenby's probably had the hardest job in Bond cinema. Having said that, I do think it's fair to say that whoever follows Daniel Craig is going to have the biggest task since then. He might have an inadvertent advantage, though. I've always thought that Dalton would've fared better if he hadn't been slotted in so soon after the end of Sir Rog's long run, while general audiences still thought of Roger as Bond, were missing him in the role and were used to that style of film. So the long gap since NTTD might actually work in the new guy's favour, as the immediate pining for Dan's Bond will probably have abated somewhat by the time of Bond 26 and audiences will just be eager for more Bond, as they were with GE. I don't know if that forms any part of EON's thinking, obvs, but as frustrating as it can be for us at times, having a long interregnum might actually be for the best in the end. I'll try to remind myself of this the next time I'm getting itchy for news... ;)

Hell's bells, Lazenby probably had one of the hardest jobs in cinema, period.

He did unfortunately. I don’t envy him, critical as I am of his performance. Moore did it better but even he wasn’t put in quite that same position.

This time round won’t be easy for the new guy either - Craig was a popular Bond, and for many people he’s what comes to mind when thinking of the character. But I agree a gap will help. And we’re at a point in the series where audiences understand and accept different actors will take this role, and there’s a long history behind this franchise. There is no ‘definitive’ version of Bond in this sense. Not even Connery. Viewers all have their favourite Bond. And honestly, I think that’s a wonderful thing. I can’t imagine how awful it would be thinking there couldn’t be more than one great Bond, or that the character is defined by a single actor.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    At least we are all finally conceding the fact that bond 26 won't happen in 2026.

Funnily enough in an interview with recently Happy Sad Confused Edgar Wright said that he appreciates and likes that EON gives the series time to "build anticipation" and let the audience "take a breather".

• echoecho 007 in New York
    edited February 28 Posts: 5,985
    At least we are all finally conceding the fact that bond 26 won't happen in 2026.

Based on what exactly?

Theoretically, the script could be written in 2024 or 2025 and the film released in late 2026.
  • echo wrote: »

Based on what exactly?

Theoretically, the script could be written in 2024 or 2025 and the film released in late 2026.

They can release Bond26 in 2025 too. I mean, It's not impossible.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited February 28 Posts: 8,547

Based on what exactly?

Methinks some like to say whatever pops in their heads. No one was saying anything about when the film would be shot 😂!!

@Mendes4Lyfe your guess COULD end up being correct. Or it could be incorrect. But you’re just guessing, and somehow you state your conjectures as facts.

Do you read what people are posting? Or do you read only messaging you want to hear? That’s a genuine question, because time and again I read how you “know” the last decade has been tough; you say we are “conceding the *fact* that B26 won’t come in 2026; you state what Bond fans “want” out of the new era (have you spoken to moviegoers in India? In Canada? In Turkey? In California or Ohio?). You guess and state things as fact.

I mean, like the lottery, or a broken clock, you send so many guesses out there, one’s gotta be right, right?

Why are you guys still beating around the bush?
    Bond will go Timothy Chalamet and he will be sensitive.
    No more rogue because rogue agents are complotists.
    I've been telling it to you for years, and this will happen. Period.
    peter wrote: »

Based on what exactly?

Methinks some like to say whatever pops in their heads. No one was saying anything about when the film would be shot 😂!!

@Mendes4Lyfe your guess COULD end up being correct. Or it could be incorrect. But you’re just guessing, and somehow you state your conjectures as facts.

Do you read what people are posting? Or do you read only messaging you want to hear? That’s a genuine question, because time and again I read how you “know” the last decade has been tough; you say we are “conceding the *fact* that B26 won’t come in 2026; you state what Bond fans “want” out of the new era (have you spoken to moviegoers in India? In Canada? In Turkey? In California or Ohio?). You guess and state things as fact.

I mean, like the lottery, or a broken clock, you send so many guesses out there, one’s gotta be right, right?

Wait, so you still think its being released in 2026?

Well I hope you're right, I have no particular desire to see the next bond film any later than absolutely necessary.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Any guess or estimate thrown around is just that, a guess or an estimate. All that's guaranteed as fact is that the next installment is not coming out any sooner than 2025.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Any guess or estimate thrown around is just that, a guess or an estimate. All that's guaranteed as fact is that the next installment is not coming out any sooner than 2025.

November 2025 with Campbell returning would be a dream come true.
  • peterpeter Toronto

Based on what exactly?

Wait, so you still think its being released in 2026?

Well I hope you're right, I have no particular desire to see the next bond film any later than absolutely necessary.

No, you know I didn’t say that either. Oh brother.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    If something concerning Bond 26 is announced on James Bond day this year, then 2025 looks possible. Then again, it depends on what kind of Bond film they want to make....if it's really big or stripped back.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I can’t find the Which Directors Should Helm a Bond film thread, so I’ll put this here…

Olivia Wilde, her art director, DP and creative team, made a visually compelling and exciting dystopian film called DON’T WORRY DARLING… Visually captivating, with nice suspense and tension, a third act climax that was exciting, these guys would be credible candidates to deliver a new Bond Era in my opinion.

Plus, someone on her team is a 007 fan (as a Sean Connery, From Russia With Love poster is prominently shown in the last act of the film)….

If I had EoN’s ear I’d ask to have a meeting with Wilde and her team, including screenwriter, Katie Silberman (who wrote this film on spec!!!!!!), to see what kind of Bond picture they’d deliver. I think this group of talented people would have some amazing ideas to bring a new, young actor onto the world stage.

I was awfully impressed with Wilde’s direction and she and her DP made one scene after another of beautiful compositions. Visually sumptuous, hypnotic and seductive….

But the two hour film had pace and whizzed by.

Before the big twist, there was brash fun, sexiness with a pinch of eroticism, and escapist fantasy…

Add in a kick ass second unit, and…. Wilde, and her team could be the recipe for a wonderful start to the new era….

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I can’t find the Which Directors Should Helm a Bond film thread, so I’ll put this here…

Olivia Wilde, her art director, DP and creative team, made a visually compelling and exciting dystopian film called DON’T WORRY DARLING… Visually captivating, with nice suspense and tension, a third act climax that was exciting, these guys would be credible candidates to deliver a new Bond Era in my opinion.

Plus, someone on her team is a 007 fan (as a Sean Connery, From Russia With Love poster is prominently shown in the last act of the film)….

If I had EoN’s ear I’d ask to have a meeting with Wilde and her team, including screenwriter, Katie Silberman (who wrote this film on spec!!!!!!), to see what kind of Bond picture they’d deliver. I think this group of talented people would have some amazing ideas to bring a new, young actor onto the world stage.

I was awfully impressed with Wilde’s direction and she and her DP made one scene after another of beautiful compositions. Visually sumptuous, hypnotic and seductive….

Before the big twist, there was brash fun, sexiness with a pinch of eroticism, and escapist fantasy…

Add in a kick ass second unit, and…. Wilde, and her team could be the recipe for a wonderful start to the new era….

Maybe she'd cast Harry Styles in the lead role. ;)

As for release date, I don't have a crystal ball or know when the stars align to help solve that question.

At first I thought the idea of Olivia Wilde a little cray cray. But on reflection, it's really not a bad idea at all.

It's awfully hard to disagree with you on this @peter
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited February 28 Posts: 23,562
    I don't get the obsession with when the next film comes out. It feels so childish to me. I'm interested in where the series goes next, not so much in when it goes there. I've got 25 -- 27 if you're a completist -- delightful Bond films to have a good time with. I'm grateful for those. I don't want to be the spoiled kid in a room full of toys, telling his parents he needs another toy fast. People survived without Bond films before 1962; I'm sure we can survive a life without a new Bond film in '25, or '26.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @Benny , I didn’t know too much about Wilde as a director (I think she has one or two other films under her belt), but I was blown away by the care that each and every scene took to tell us this story. It was quite amazing, from the costumes, to the art direction, to the photography… This team was dialled in.

Not only that, but layered on top was a supremely confident manner of creating suspense and tension (and even horror)…

I laughed when you mentioned Styles as I did think of @talos7, bravely sticking his neck out a few times saying the singer had potential as 007 and as an actor.

I did find Styles had great presence and he DOES have potential as an actor. But at times, in this film, he was uneven. Sometimes brilliantly strong (and the camera does love him), but at other times his line reading was a little, just a little, off (although his final scenes were beautifully executed).

And thanks, @SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ !!! It’s quite a gem of a film, isn’t it? There was so much care taken to visually tell the story, but really did display a mature and professional execution. It was slick, and fast, and full of depth…

And Chris Pine was wonderfully eerie… potential Bond villain (he’s always been good value)?

And, @DarthDimi — you nailed it. I just don’t care when the new film comes (I’m more interested in how they’re going to put it all together). And you’re right: we’ll survive not having a new Bond film tomorrow. Just enjoy the ones we have, today….
  • edited February 28 Posts: 487

Not only is a 2026 not impossible, even a 2025 release is still very much possible. If nobody at EON did any work for another 6 months, a late 2026 release would still be very much possible and you know that. Seriously, please stop trolling.

In case you don't know: the DP Matthew Libatique kind of ghost-directed the film as Wilde went AWOL a lot during production. Pugh went public with her frustrations on the lack of professionalism by Wilde on set, which I imagine — but could be wrong! — rules her out.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Stamper wrote: »
    Why are you guys still beating around the bush?
    Bond will go Timothy Chalamet and he will be sensitive.
    No more rogue because rogue agents are complotists.
    I've been telling it to you for years, and this will happen. Period.

giphy.gif?cid=790b76111h1qvi4h5k2a77btrqf83vzzxhateq7k1r9qslmj&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

Don't even joke about that.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited February 28 Posts: 8,547
    BMB007 wrote: »

In case you don't know: the DP Matthew Libatique kind of ghost-directed the film as Wilde went AWOL a lot during production. Pugh went public with her frustrations on the lack of professionalism by Wilde on set, which I imagine — but could be wrong! — rules her out.

I didn't know this at all @BMB007 ... I was late to this party (again!), and only watched it last night.

Well, this crushes me to hear. I was thinking about this film all day, and I thought that Wilde was the catalyst behind such beautiful filmmaking.

That really was crushing to hear, 😂!!

Well, if the DP was the ghost-director, it wouldn't be the first time (a very similar experience has been whispered about (loudly), about Mr and Mrs Smith way back in the day).

Well, if this is the case, then someone give Libatique his own film!

Thanks for the scoop, BMB007 (even though you broke my heart!)
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I adore Florence Pugh in everything and was very interested to see what kind of film Don't Worry Darling would eventually turn out to be considering all the background drama that occurred during production.

It was rubbish. Extremely well packaged rubbish, but rubbish nonetheless.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    @peter . Harry Styles is still my dark horse; he definitely marches to his own drummer, but he has a certain something that makes me think that he could be a Bond for a new era.
    I believe it will be a mistake to cast someone well known. They come with too much familiarity and too much expectation. For me Connery and Lazenby were fresh faces. Moore and Brosnan came with their TV personas. While they made enjoyable films, neither convinced me they were Bond. Craig was known, but he didn't have that TV series familiarity.
    CrabKey wrote: »
    I believe it will be a mistake to cast someone well known. They come with too much familiarity and too much expectation. For me Connery and Lazenby were fresh faces. Moore and Brosnan came with their TV personas. While they made enjoyable films, neither convinced me they were Bond. Craig was known, but he didn't have that TV series familiarity.

You left Dalton out? 😃
    CrabKey wrote: »

You left Dalton out? 😃

So...Idris Elba...Aaron Taylor-Johnson...too well known ?
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    talos7 wrote: »
    @peter . Harry Styles is still my dark horse; he definitely marches to his own drummer, but he has a certain something that makes me think that he could be a Bond for a new era.

Once upon a time I would’ve said no to Harry Styles.
    Now I think he has the goods, to be a credible potential James Bond.
    The longer they wait on #26 the less the next generation of film going audiences will be tied to Craig, making a fresh start much easier. Personally, I look forward to an "unknown" like Connery, Lazenby, Dalton and Craig.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    delfloria wrote: »
    The longer they wait on #26 the less the next generation of film going audiences will be tied to Craig, making a fresh start much easier. Personally, I look forward to an "unknown" like Connery, Lazenby, Dalton and Craig.

I too would love Lazenby's return.

Give us the revenge film we all have been waiting for: Bond battles Blofeld and Bunt in the old folks' home, with wheelchairs and walkers and jello.

Call it: Hip Replacements are Forever or Titanium Pandemonium
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @talos7 I agree, he has got charisma and the camera loves him. He's only going to get better and better as an actor. I think he needs more time in the oven for his tools of the craft to catch up with his undeniable and big-star presence, but he's got the "it" factor, for sure.
  • edited February 29 Posts: 731
    In DWD the bad
    Benny wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »

Once upon a time I would’ve said no to Harry Styles.
    Now I think he has the goods, to be a credible potential James Bond.

Harry Styles is Harry Styles. He can't be both, Bond and the singer.