Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

@delfloria - As a tool, no doubt useful. As a thinker and creator, it's a synthesizer and copier.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    edited February 25 Posts: 1,434
    The way we are talking about it is like using stock footage in a motion picture. It's an almost laughable notion for a serious project. And AI will be just as embarrassing. Cutting corners is cutting jobs, and that will never be popular in a union industry. Let me put it this way: why do you want AI? What have you seen that has been as good as human artistry? Even in a supplemental way, it's really seemingly only useful for clarifying or simplifying coding projects at the moment. That will help the industry, sure, small found efficiencies in the tools used by humans, but don't expect some purely-AI-driven creative revolution. What's the inefficiency of the time wasted on trail-and-error and the correcting for a scene in an AI generator versus the reliability, flexibility, and inspiration of a vision backed by a full creative team? There's security in hiring people. And as a writer, I don't want to see anyone begging for it. It's mining my work for worse results.
    The key word: Artificial.
    LucknFate wrote: »
    The way we are talking about it is like using stock footage in a motion picture. It's an almost laughable notion for a serious project. And AI will be just as embarrassing. Cutting corners is cutting jobs, and that will never be popular in a union industry. Let me put it this way: why do you want AI? What have you seen that has been as good as human artistry? Even in a supplemental way, it's really seemingly only useful for clarifying or simplifying coding projects at the moment. That will help the industry, sure, small found efficiencies in the tools used by humans, but don't expect some purely-AI-driven creative revolution. What's the inefficiency of the time wasted on trail-and-error and the correcting for a scene in an AI generator versus the reliability, flexibility, and inspiration of a vision backed by a full creative team? There's security in hiring people. And as a writer, I don't want to see anyone begging for it. It's mining my work for worse results.

You are not thinking like a producer.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited February 26 Posts: 8,110
    Here's the good news - even if we don't get bond 26 until November 2027, we're still almost half way there at this point. The gap between Skyfall and SPECTRE is about how much longer we would have to wait, and that includes will the stuff like the excitement around a new bond announcement, brand new vision slowly creeping into view, becoming more defined as the months go by. Its going to be exciting times very soon :D

I know the past 11 years and 3 months has been brutal with only 2 films being released , but it will be worth it when we're sat in the cinema and the gunbarrel starts and the whole world is at a fever pitch to see what awaits.
    edited February 26 Posts: 1,434
    delfloria wrote: »

You are not thinking like a producer.

You're right. That would be a disease I wouldn't want to catch, devaluing people and judging them for their worth to me. Disgusting.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    Here's the good news - even if we don't get bond 26 until November 2027, we're still almost half way there at this point. The gap between Skyfall and SPECTRE is about how much longer we would have to wait, and that includes will the stuff like the excitement around a new bond announcement, brand new vision slowly creeping into view, becoming more defined as the months go by. Its going to be exciting times very soon :D

I know the past 12 years has been brutal with only 2 films being released , but it will be worth it when we're sat in the cinema and the gunbarrel starts and the whole world is at a fever pitch to see what awaits.

Re-reading the Bond novels, constant listening to Bond scores and re-reading Greek mythology & re-watching films from Hollywood's golden era are the things that has kept me going and waiting patiently for Bond 26.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited February 26 Posts: 8,531
    Twelve years was 2012… Skyfall was released in October/November.
    2015 Spectre was released.
    2021 NTTD was released.

Either your math is incorrect, or, @Mendes4Lyfe , you’re passive-aggressively pushing an agenda where one of these films doesn’t count as a Bond film?

Pretty transparent…
    edited February 26 Posts: 1,434
    peter wrote: »
    2021 NTTD was released.

Either your math is incorrect, or, @Mendes4Lyfe , you’re passive-aggressively pushing an agenda where one of these films doesn’t count as a Bond film?

Pretty transparent…

I think he meant 12 years prior to 2027, once we're at that point and reflecting, it would be two films since 2015, to be fair. Though if 26 is released in 2027.. that would indeed be three movies in 12 years even then. LOL
  • peterpeter Toronto
    2021 NTTD was released.

Pretty transparent…

I think he meant 12 years prior to 2027, once we're at that point and reflecting, it would be two films since 2015, to be fair. Though if 26 is released in 2027.. that would indeed be three movies in 12 years even then. LOL

It’s hard to follow the logic of Mendes. But it often is cherry picked in some fashion, with a bend towards a criticism of something he doesn’t like, stated as a collective fact…, 😂 😂 😂

12 years ago was February 2012. Unless you think we're going to get a film by November, it seems I am correct that the wait will be over 12 years. But to make you happy I corrected my original post ;)
    " wrote:
    I know the past 11 years and 3 months has been brutal with only 2 films being released , but it will be worth it when we're sat in the cinema and the gunbarrel starts and the whole world is at a fever pitch to see what awaits.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I’m not sure if the last eleven years was brutal, though. I had a pretty decent decade and a bit…
  • CrabKey wrote: »
    Where do we first see a Bond who adjusts his tie or cuff links? Is that an original Bond mannerism or later?
    Actually comes the Goldfinger novel, after he kills the Mexican he checks his tie is straight
    CrabKey wrote: »
    Where do we first see a Bond who adjusts his tie or cuff links? Is that an original Bond mannerism or later?
    Actually comes the Goldfinger novel, after he kills the Mexican he checks his tie is straight

First time in the movies was Connery after his fight with Shaw (I think).
  • Puss feller fight?
    Puss feller fight?

No one ever died of his cooking
    https://x.com/variety/status/1762154513547366722?s=46&t=1n5Rcs-hD3txaEWwd9IFoA

DV talks about a no-dialogue film and I think that could be an interesting concept for a spy movie.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    It's an interesting idea but not for Bond, I don't believe. More often than not, such an approach is a gimmick. That's how John Woo's latest film Silent Night felt and I kept thinking how jarringly unnecessary it was throughout.
  • edited February 27 Posts: 2,951
    Maybe a PTS that has no dialogue? If it works and the visual storytelling/action is solid enough it could be quite cool.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    edited February 27 Posts: 1,375
    Yeah. Sounds cool @007HallY The title song breaks the silence.
    007HallY wrote: »
    Maybe a PTS that has no dialogue? If it works and the visual storytelling/action is solid enough it could be quite cool.

If there was a solid and natural idea for doing so, I think that'd be great, or even one that's almost entirely dialogue-free but segues into the title sequence/song after Bond finally utters the first line.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Creasy47 wrote: »

If there was a solid and natural idea for doing so, I think that'd be great, or even one that's almost entirely dialogue-free but segues into the title sequence/song after Bond finally utters the first line.

I like this quite a bit.

I mean, it wouldn’t be without precedent. QOS basically does that. The opening of FRWL is essentially dialogue free until the end too. Hell, the first stretch of GF’s PTS has no dialogue, and when we do get (very minor) exposition about Bond’s mission we basically know what has happened through the visuals, and even if the sound was off you can tell Bond is going back to a hotel room simply because he has a key in his hand (and he doesn’t directly say where he’s going anyway) and it’s evident why a woman is there/why someone is trying to kill him.

So yeah, something as visual and well crafted as those (and indeed there are plenty of other examples) with no or little dialogue would be great. Very doable.
    @007HallY, no wonder it's so similar an idea to QoS then: I was unconsciously recalling one of my favorite sequences in the series.
    And less worry over the voice, for at least the first 10-15 minutes ;)
    @007HallY, no wonder it's so similar an idea to QoS then: I was unconsciously recalling one of my favorite sequences in the series.

Yes I thought that! But it’s a good way to go for a PTS. They all have a healthy dose of strong visual storytelling anyway.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Nice piece of history that, in some ways, we’re re-living all over again:

https://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2024/02/27/ex-studio-exec-describes-how-goldeneye-defied-odds/
  • LucknFate wrote: »
    https://x.com/variety/status/1762154513547366722?s=46&t=1n5Rcs-hD3txaEWwd9IFoA

DV talks about a no-dialogue film and I think that could be an interesting concept for a spy movie.

John Woo just did that although with an action movie, not a spy movie: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt15799866/

https://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2024/02/27/ex-studio-exec-describes-how-goldeneye-defied-odds/

Think a strong argument exists "GoldenEye" is the most important Bond film commercially speaking for the series continued existence. So much transition and doubt.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    BMB007 wrote: »

Think a strong argument exists "GoldenEye" is the most important Bond film commercially speaking for the series continued existence. So much transition and doubt.

I’d agree. And I think the next film/era has a similar weight attached to it, as there’s so much uncertainty with the direction, new financiers are on board, with new players, and, the industry itself is a different beast to the one that the last era ended in (hell, everyone is saying it’s a different beast to the one it was just a few short months ago, as the strikes were ramping up)…

There’s a lot to get right for the new era… And a lot at stake.