Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited February 16 Posts: 5,869
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I personally find the idea of Theo James a bit underwhelming. I enjoy him as an actor, especially in The White Lotus, but I'm so used to his face and his acting style because he's been in so much I've seen that I'm kinda unexcited by his presence in anything? I also think he's another Aidan or Henry or Hiddleston in the sense that the casting in my opinion is kinda unimaginative?
    I completely understand this point of view mate, but don't you think after an era that was defined by subversion, that someone who seems tailor-made for the part might be the right choice?
    And I certainly understand yours. I also want to clarify that Theo James would probably be great if given half a chance, but I think it's possible to do both of what you've mentioned @Jordo007? For example, the reason I've liked the idea of Callum so much and for so long is because he's a fresh modern face that also fits with the more traditional image of the character? Best of both worlds? I think I also just want EON to get someone that tabloids haven't had on their lists for the past 10 years...
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    O'Connell is the most charismatic actor of all the new hopefuls, but he just doesn't look or sound like Bond for me. I would understand why they might choose him considering his talent, and of course actors are good at pretending they're something they're not, but I always worry that they'll change the character to fit the actor (which to a certain extent tends to happen anyway in terms of personality, but I don't want a line in the film remarking on his lack of height, etc). I would, as always, give him a shot, though.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    As with Craig we need an actor who can well… act.
    Yes, and as I said, O'Connell is probably the best of age range. Bogart is arguably the definitive Philip Marlowe, and he's considerably shorter and slimmer than the character from the book, so it can work if you have the talent.
    I think Barbara would really want O'Connell for him to be cast. She really wanted Craig and paid deaf ears to the world's complaints about Craig. So if she really wants O'Connell, she wouldn't see anything wrong with his height.

Didn't know Barbara was the casting director for the new Smeagol in the upcoming lotr series.

fc8762e0159c455fcbb3a0bba036ef99.jpg

Haha! There are cool pics of O'Connell in a suit with a nice haircut. Also, we all have our bad pics.

Oh yeah, plenty of better pics of O'Connell. I actually think he looks quite Bondian in many of them.

image.jpeg

154_image.jpg?fit=1337%2C2000&ssl=1

Also worth posting pics from the point he got his teeth done, haha. Seems a little more indicative.

229265_v9_bc.jpg

But hey, people all have their preferences. And the best indicator of his potential is what you see in his performances.

As for Theo James, I really don't see it. Although I don't think it helps that the first thing that comes to mind for me is his last scene in the Inbetweeners Movie... But going from what else I've seen him in I'm not sold.
    edited February 16 Posts: 737
    I thought Theo James was very charismatic in Divergent, but he hasn't been as good since. Ironically I think it might be because he deepened his voice when he put on an American accent, I remember the theatre practically vibrated every time he spoke.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Sometimes subversion is not the way to go; personally, for this incarnation of Bond, I want someone who is tailor made for the role. Of course’ this doesn’t mean just a coat hanger who looks great in a tux; he has to have the acting chops. From what I can see James fits this description; no doubt there are others.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    007HallY wrote: »
    I think Barbara would really want O'Connell for him to be cast. She really wanted Craig and paid deaf ears to the world's complaints about Craig. So if she really wants O'Connell, she wouldn't see anything wrong with his height.

Didn't know Barbara was the casting director for the new Smeagol in the upcoming lotr series.

fc8762e0159c455fcbb3a0bba036ef99.jpg

Haha! There are cool pics of O'Connell in a suit with a nice haircut. Also, we all have our bad pics.

Oh yeah, plenty of better pics of O'Connell. I actually think he looks quite Bondian in many of them.

image.jpeg

154_image.jpg?fit=1337%2C2000&ssl=1

Also worth posting pics from the point he got his teeth done, haha. Seems a little more indicative.

229265_v9_bc.jpg

But hey, people all have their preferences. And the best indicator of his potential is what you see in his performances.

As for Theo James, I really don't see it. Although I don't think it helps that the first thing that comes to mind for me is his last scene in the Inbetweeners Movie... But going from what else I've seen him in I'm not sold.

Bingo!!!
  • edited February 16 Posts: 2,951
    I will say he has a great voice for the part. I can easily see (or rather hear) him doing the voice of Bond for a radio adaptation or a video game.

But other than that I've never gotten Bond from him. But hey, at the end of the day he's an actor. If he crushes it during an audition and he's chosen I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.
  • I thought O'Connell was Jeremy Irvine. #-o

Theo James is too old IMO.
    edited February 16 Posts: 737
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    I personally find the idea of Theo James a bit underwhelming. I enjoy him as an actor, especially in The White Lotus, but I'm so used to his face and his acting style because he's been in so much I've seen that I'm kinda unexcited by his presence in anything? I also think he's another Aidan or Henry or Hiddleston in the sense that the casting in my opinion is kinda unimaginative?
    I completely understand this point of view mate, but don't you think after an era that was defined by subversion, that someone who seems tailor-made for the part might be the right choice?
    And I certainly understand yours. I also want to clarify that Theo James would probably be great if given half a chance, but I think it's possible to do both of what you've mentioned @Jordo007? For example, the reason I've liked the idea of Callum so much and for so long is because he's a fresh modern face that also fits with the more traditional image of the character? Best of both worlds? I think I also just want EON to get someone that tabloids haven't had on their lists for the past 10 years...
    You know every so often I look for the Sean Teale show Incorporated online and all i ever find is that you can buy the first 9 episodes on various platforms, yet they don't sell the 10th (final) episode. Do you have any idea why this is? It seems mad.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    @Denbigh great point mate. I must admit Theo James isn't my first choice but he's probably in my top 3 for the role, safe pair of hands honestly.

I agree with you on Turner, I feel the same about Leo Suter. @talos7 got me on that train. A fresh perspective but still feels like Bond
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited February 16 Posts: 2,933
    Theo James is going to be 40 this year. I don't think it's unfeasible that EON would push the age limit a bit for an outstanding candidate but, realistically, I don't think Theo is one. IMO, obvs. Not saying that he's bad - he's all right, but...is that enough? When I try to picture Barbara Broccoli making a 10-year commitment to an actor, I do struggle to see who might enthuse her for a decade. I hope the decision on the next Bond actor doesn't have to be made on the basis of 'let's go with...' whoever, as the best of a middling bunch.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    UK prime minister Rishi Sunak threw his hat in the ring on Wednesday:

“Barbara, I hear you might be casting for a special vacancy. Wise politicians always keep their options open. So I just wanted to say, if you’re looking for someone with conflict experience, a strong track record of handling evil villains, or indeed someone who is comfortable with the risk of being replaced in a few years, then I’m your man.”

https://deadline.com/2024/02/christopher-nolan-rishi-sunak-bfi-denis-villeneuve-1235826377/

With any luck, he'll be out of a job soon. So he will be available.
  • Let's not go with the aftershave advert guy.
  • buddyoldchapbuddyoldchap Formerly known as JeremyBondon
    Benny wrote: »
    Would you take Theo James @buddyoldchap ?

Let's say I would take him over O'Connell and Callum Turner. A bit uninspired, perhaps even bland, but I would give him the benefit of the doubt.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Theo James is "bland"? That man is strikingly handsome.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Theo James is "bland"? That man is strikingly handsome.

(+1) Alpha male. Smart. Would give the best interviews. Has a big curriculum. The guy was made for it.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    edited February 16 Posts: 1,434
    I think Theo James is the most Clive Owen coded Bond candidate in some time. He would have been alright. Sadly we will never know.
  • edited February 16 Posts: 12,837
    I think Theo James could’ve been great but I would probably put him in the could’ve been category now. Just that bit too old. We probably won’t get Bond 26 for another few years and I don’t think they’ll want to follow up the Craig era, which spent most of its time depicting Bond as a grizzled old vet being written off by others as a dinasour, with a man in his 40s. He could be pushing 50 (or even into his 50s at the rate they make them now) by film two or three. They’ll want to go younger imo.
    O'Connell is the most charismatic actor of all the new hopefuls, but he just doesn't look or sound like Bond for me. I would understand why they might choose him considering his talent, and of course actors are good at pretending they're something they're not, but I always worry that they'll change the character to fit the actor (which to a certain extent tends to happen anyway in terms of personality, but I don't want a line in the film remarking on his lack of height, etc). I would, as always, give him a shot, though.

Personally I genuinely don’t think most of the Bond actors look that much like eachother, or like how Fleming described him, so while O’Connell would probably be the biggest departure so far, I wouldn’t be fussed. As long as he looks fit enough to be an action hero and good looking enough to be a womaniser I’d be able to see him as Bond.

I was wondering about the sounds like part, it was the only thing working against him imo, because his American accent in something I saw him in years ago wasn’t great. But he seems to have got better, because he pulled off a very convincing Northern Irish one in Rogue Heroes. Worked with an accent coach apparently. And the RP accent is easier to imitate than that one, so I reckon he could do the same for Bond.

His height I think wouldn’t be remarked on. They’d just Tom Cruise it. And they’d have an easier job of doing that because he’s not that short. Of all the believeable prospects, he’s still my favourite.
    While I would be more than happy if James or C.Turner were to be cast, I really think the one to watch is Leo Suter; he has a great look, is extremely athletic and is a very good actor. I’ve watched several interviews and he has a strong voice and is very charismatic. Suter is the one to watch.
  • edited February 16 Posts: 6,677
    And he's 9 years younger.

Personally, I find this search for a younger Bond to be nauseating and a children of its time. I want to see a 40something Bond doing what he does best. I'm tired of this young Batman, young Bond, reboots, origin stories, kind of films that plagued the last twenty odd years.

What we need is a man. A real man, to quote the lady in the boat. One who has no confidence issues and is really good at what he does, failing occasionally by the way of his own traits, but having those horn-blasting bondian moments we used to cherish.

Pierce got the job at 42. He could've Played Bond for many more years after 2002. Theo James looks the same as he did when did those Divergent flicks ages ago. Guy ages well. And a Commander has to look the part. He was born in 1984. If they were to dismiss people born in the 80s for a role to be played in the next decade, they would be loosing some of the greatest could-have-beens, mostly because this new gen can only man up if they hide their man buns under caps, and have big bushy beards to go with their high pitched ATJ-kind-of-voices when they yep about a free day to go take care of their mental health baking french boxer shaped cookies.

I say, EON, give us an adult that children and teens can grow up wanting to be like.

But I do agree about Suter, not a bad candidate at all, just a bit bland, IMO, looks wise. Another muscled up, long haired Viking. Too much in the Craig vein, which isn't a bad thing until one stars to compare one with the other. Theo, on the other hand, is quite different, instantly recognizable, has those kind of good looks that also look a bit strange, isn't over muscular, isn't comparable with Craig, and has a good acting school behind him.

But Suter would be fine as well, IMO.
  • edited February 17 Posts: 12,837
    @Univex The problem with starting off with a Bond in his 40s now is it puts a ticking clock on seeing him in his prime, if the actor ages suddenly in the way that Craig did. Pierce was cast when they were getting out a film every two years. Those days, sadly, are gone. There’s also the sex appeal of the movies to think about. I can’t see them casting many older Bond girls, as they rarely ever do (much tougher being a middle aged woman in Hollywood than a middle aged man unfortunately), and the sort of age gaps we’ve seen in Bond before are getting more taboo. They seemed to do their best not to draw attention to it in NTTD by keeping Madeline out of the way for most of the film, and not having him consumate things with Ana De Armas. And I was okay with that as a one off, but Bond films generally should have plenty of sex. You could pair Theo James now with Jodie Comer or someone now and nobody would bat an eye. But in ten years, by which point he’d only be on his third film at most, they’d be more limited in their options. By film four even moreso.

I’m not really looking forward to swallowing the pill of Bond being younger than me, but I think early 90s, possibly late 80s if they get their arses in gear soonish (which I’m sceptical about personally), is the safest bet for when the next actor will be born. I don’t think they’ll go older than that if they want someone to do another five films like we’ve heard rumoured. And going any younger than that, late 90s, would risk alienating the older people who always do turn up in droves to see the new Bond film.
    I will say this, one of my ways of evaluating candidates is to watch interviews ; having watched several of Theo James I find it remarkable how little he’s changed over the years, at least a decade. I think he will age very gracefully.
  • buddyoldchapbuddyoldchap Formerly known as JeremyBondon
    edited February 17 Posts: 155
    talos7 wrote: »
    I will say this, one of my ways of evaluating candidates is to watch interviews ; having watched several of Theo James I find it remarkable how little he’s changed over the years, at least a decade. I think he will age very gracefully.

Talk about aging! Check out Aidan Turner who turned up at the Bafta's yesterday. Tell me this man can't play Bond (still). He truly ages like fine wine and is perfect to start a possible tenure. He was born to be Bond, unlike the others. Sorry chaps. I do apologise for the DM link, it is what it is.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-13090099/Poldarks-Eleanor-Tomlinson-Aidan-Turner-reunite-BAFTA-Gala-2024.html
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    talos7 wrote: »

Talk about aging! Check out Aidan Turner who turned up at the Bafta's yesterday. Tell me this man can't play Bond (still). He truly ages like fine wine and is perfect to start a possible tenure. He was born to be Bond, unlike the others. Sorry chaps. I do apologise for the DM link, it is what it is.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-13090099/Poldarks-Eleanor-Tomlinson-Aidan-Turner-reunite-BAFTA-Gala-2024.html

I'm not going to disagree with you on this @buddyoldchap
    Aidan does indeed look good, and depending on when Bond 26 starts production I hope he's still considered.
    I would be more than happy with A.Turner being cast.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I still think Aidan Turner would be a great Bond
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    Here and now, I would go with Thomas Doherty.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I watched the aidan turner series the suspect, and the man definitely still has it. He would work brilliantly as a broader, Brosnan style bond with just a dash of the Dalton intensity.