Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    edited February 2 Posts: 2,516
    Benny wrote: »
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    At some point we should do a top 3 candidates poll or something. It'd be interesting to see what actors, our members think will get a screentest

That's almost creepy. I had a similar idea earlier today.
    I figured there would be too many choices.
    Still, could be fun.

The first thing you should know about us is we have people everywhere...

So my 3 picks would be
    1. Leo Suter
    2. Theo James
    3. Aidan Turner (probably aged out now)
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    At some point we should do a top 3 candidates poll or something. It'd be interesting to see what actors, our members think will get a screentest

Still, could be fun.

So my 3 picks would be
    1. Leo Suter
    2. Theo James

Strong list...
    1. Callum Turner
    2. Stuart Martin
    3. Thomas Doherty
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Left field - Sope.
    Tradcast - Aidan Turner.
    Elements of left field and trad - ATJ.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    talos7 wrote: »

Still, could be fun.

So my 3 picks would be
    1. Leo Suter
    2. Theo James

Strong list...

Thanks mate.
    I went for 3 actors that I'd be championing if I were in EON's offices. You were the guy who got me on the Suter train (great shout by the way)
    They're all at a good level of fame to take on Bond, strong voices and most importantly to us on the forum, they've all got good eyebrows.
  • edited February 2 Posts: 12,837
    Jack O’Connell, Sope Dirisu and Theo James are my favourite “plausible” seeming choices. Callum Turner probably wouldn’t be too far behind, and I still kind of like Matt Smith as a left field, something completely different one.

My actual top three though, if we can pick anyone no matter how unrealistic, would still be Elba, Fassbender and Hardy. A man can dream.
    edited February 3 Posts: 7,981
    Here is an up and coming actor, Buck Braithwaite; he has not been in much but appears in an episode of Masters of the Air. ( Edit) It appears he's 39 but looks considerably younger

As old favorites age out, keeping an eye out for new candidates

aAknl4V.jpeg

QMCF3wR.jpeg
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I hadn't really understood the appeal of Leo Suter till recently. Now I get it.

roqimb75p30k.jpg
    ncs2989trogu.jpg
  • Although Callum Turner is now my second favorite potential candidate, I still have a preference for Aaron Taylor-Johnson. But Turner is really becoming a serious contender.

8c39e13f79c15e226ee8f618dff2e99b925f961f.jpg
    I’ve kinda gone off Lowden after watching some of Slow Horses weirdly. That’s not to say he or the show aren’t great, it’s just that I can’t quite picture him as Bond (or at least as the best option). I don’t know what it is specifically (perhaps that extra bit of gravitas, or maybe for me just a sense that he’d bring something different to the role) but it just feels like he’s missing something that’d lift him from a good potential choice to a great one. Who knows though, I could always be wrong.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    edited February 3 Posts: 1,373
    For me, I think until a Bond candidate is cast and does his own Bond interpretation, would he be accepted. Every Bond candidate now is expected to be like Craig....just like Craig was expected to be like Brosnan before doing CR. So the next Bond is going to bring something different. He would be masculine for sure...but I'm not expecting him to be Craig's Bond.
    For me, I think until a Bond candidate is cast and does his own Bond interpretation, would he be accepted. Every Bond candidate now is expected to be like Craig....just like Craig was expected to be like Brosnan before doing CR. So the next Bond is going to bring something different. He would be masculine for sure...but I'm not expecting him to be Craig's Bond.

Definitely. It’s tricky seeing potential in actors for Bond in that way. While there are things that every Bond needs (the charm, gravitas, sex appeal etc) there’s also those extra individual elements that each actor brings. So yeah, while the next Bond won’t be fundamentally different to Craig’s, there’ll be something different about him.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I love Jack Lowden, especially in Slow Horses.

I just can’t see him as Bond though. He reminds me of a better looking/younger Simon Pegg in appearance, and, although he’s got a nice voice, it reminds me too much of Ben Wishaw, for some strange reason….

He’s fun and enjoyable to watch… But as Bond?… he’s almost too likeable and lacks a bit of a natural bastard quality…
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I've just been watching the AppleTV+ show Masters Of The Air, and I know he has a lot of fans. I don't mean to upset any of them, but it's a no from me for Callum Turner.
    Obviously, that doesn't mean anything, he could still be on the shortlist and picked for all I know.
    He doesn't come across as a killer, someone that could win a fight. I know these are small things, but his eyes are too narrow, and he grins too much. He reminds me of an English version of James Franco.
    Who knows, maybe he'll be cast and I'll love him, but right now he wouldn't make my top five. Sorry.
    I've just been watching the AppleTV+ show Masters Of The Air, and I know he has a lot of fans. I don't mean to upset any of them, but it's a no from me for Callum Turner.
    Obviously, that doesn't mean anything, he could still be on the shortlist and picked for all I know.
    He doesn't come across as a killer, someone that could win a fight. I know these are small things, but his eyes are too narrow, and he grins too much. He reminds me of an English version of James Franco.
    Who knows, maybe he'll be cast and I'll love him, but right now he wouldn't make my top five. Sorry.

It may sound very superficial, and nitpicking, but I agree 100% concerning his eyes; but unlike ATJ’s voice, it wouldn’t be a dealbreaker.
    007HallY wrote: »

Definitely. It’s tricky seeing potential in actors for Bond in that way. While there are things that every Bond needs (the charm, gravitas, sex appeal etc) there’s also those extra individual elements that each actor brings. So yeah, while the next Bond won’t be fundamentally different to Craig’s, there’ll be something different about him.

Oh, for sure.

Perhaps his eyes can be un-narrowed through CGI 🤔

Not seen that show so can’t say anything about it. But it’s worth saying that I’m not sure if actors in certain roles always scream ‘Bond’, even if they have potential.
  • peterpeter Toronto

Not seen that show so can’t say anything about it. But it’s worth saying that I’m not sure if actors in certain roles always scream ‘Bond’, even if they have potential.

Make his jaw tighter, while you're at it. And a slightly wider chin, 😂😆😂😆...

That's it. You'll never know until a candidate is cast. Then the director lits the room, frames him stylishly in shots, the composers creates Bondian music, etc. Then some fans would be like "Oh, he's now my favourite Bond". The latest example is Pattinson's Batman casting. I remember some fans saying the trailer feels like a Batman cosplay....until the film came out. Not saying Turner is Bond already, just saying when a Bond candidate is in Bond mode, he's different from other modes he's in.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia

If they were to go with Turner right now, you can bet the rumours that Dua Lipa will sing the title track and/or be the next Bond girl will be off the charts.
  • buddyoldchapbuddyoldchap Formerly known as JeremyBondon
    edited February 3 Posts: 155

Actually fully agree with Benny. Who am I kidding here, convincing myself I'd be ok with Callum Turner. There is still only one Turner and damned it should be him, regardless of his age.

b539a121805ba1126c48ffeed5f6e4bb.jpg
  • edited February 3 Posts: 2,931
    Not sure if the grey in Aidan’s temples there will help with concerns about his age/potential longevity, haha (not that I agree that he’s too old as I’ve said).
    Some people begin to grey in their teens . It’s a non issue and easily reminded
  • buddyoldchapbuddyoldchap Formerly known as JeremyBondon
    edited February 4 Posts: 155
    talos7 wrote: »
    Some people begin to grey in their teens . It’s a non issue and easily reminded

Ha, that would be me. Still dyeing my hair at age 38.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Absolutely nothing wrong with grey temples. A young face and grey temples are sort of how I see Bond when I read Fleming.
  • weboffearweboffear Scotland
    according to Matthew Vaughn , Henry Cavill would be the perfect Fleming Bond ,
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Absolutely nothing wrong with grey temples. A young face and grey temples are sort of how I see Bond when I read Fleming.

Well, thank you, my friend, as you've just described, well... me ;) Not putting my name in that raffle, though :)
    Absolutely nothing wrong with a touch of grey but if it’s not what they’re going for it’s not a stumbling block.
  • edited February 4 Posts: 6,677
    Brosnan had grey all over in 1994. Even his beard was already grey. I love those photos from the reveal that year. Long hair, beard. Black suit with brown shoes, polka dot tie. But at least no buoyancy vest and blonde hair ;) Actually, I think Craig looked more Bondian in his reveal.
    Thing is, in the beginning, even the best don't look Bondian enough. Then, movie magic happens ;)