And the Bondie for inspired casting/under-rated performance for an actress...page 134

Comments

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited January 26 Posts: 13,944
    thedove wrote: »
    The Oscar nominations got my thoughts racing back to this delightful thread and our very own, Bondies (good performances) and Klebbies (the not so good performances).

I will put forward an award and lay out the field and then the esteemed community will vote for their choice. Look back on the first page of the thread if you wish to see all the categories we have tackled in the past. We may re-visit some as No Time to Die wasn't around for some of them and who knows maybe the esteemed academy has changed their opinions.

Lets wrap up the category that was left dangling for a calendar year. Best dubbed voice over artist in a lead role.

The Bondie goes to Eric Pohlmann for the dubbing of Blofeld.

Voting shows the following:
    • Michael Collins as Goldfinger 3 votes
    • David De Keyzer as Marc Ange Draco with 2 votes
    • Nikki Van Der Zyl as Honey Ryder with 2 votes
    • Robert Reitty as Tiger Tanaka with 0 votes
    • Eric Pohlmann as Blofeld with 4 votes

Since we have awarded a Bondie, lets move back to the Klebbie side of things and give an award to something that needs a good kick in the shins!

The category is Worst Acting by an Extra or Un-Credited Role and the nominees are:
    • Broom man doesn't broom QOS...this poor chap was lousy at the one thing he was supposed to do. Sweep! His broom never hitting the ground and sticking out like a sore thumb, or is that a dusty pile of failed action?
    • Taxi driver freaks at the Eiffel Tower AVTAK...this chap decided to go balls to the wall by acting way over the top as his beloved taxi gets taken from him by Bond. The dude manages to get two close up shots as he yells in his French accent
    • Bug eyed dancer at Pussfellers DN as the crowd is dancing so to is this chap. Eyes bulging, cheeks shaking and looking like he wants the attention. Pussfeller scans by him and seems non-plussed by it all, perhaps he was a regular?
    • Boy in boat TMWTGG a child actor in the Bond series is a rare thing and this little guy is about as annoying as they come. Was he playing it right? Or was he being too cute for the part? Not sure but his acting sure is hammy for the short screen time he received.
    • US General gets pick pocketed OP this General looks astonished when Magda picks his pocket. "Well I'll be! Son of a gun" Holding up the wallet to his buddy a few row back this seems to be a bit over the top given the magic trick that Magda has pulled off.
    • Stealth Boat Captain overacts in stealth This Stealth Boat Captain is meant to blend in, but yet he delivers his few lines with a sense of over dramatic flair. Not sure if he qualifies but since @mtm mentioned him seemed like a good one to round out the nominations with.

There you have it, which one deserves a kick to the shins for their screen time in a Bond film. Let us know which one is worthy of being singled out for a terrible performance in a small role/extra.

Bug-eyed dancer wasn't acting at all - rather the side effects of a little radioactive Crab Key weeeed, mon.

Hoverbroom actor would've been instructed to avoid stirring up dust around the cast/crew/equipment, so a little quanta dirt particle-sized speck of lenience is considered.

A Klebbie for a Kabbie (AKFAK)

Definitely French cabbie, stressed from bloody stiff-ass Brits interfering with the consumption of baguettes and reading of newspapers while chilling out in vehicles on ones well-earned(?) break.

A Klebbie for French cabbie because: 1) The overacting and freaking out can become a bit annoying; 2) An abundance of appalling dialogue is present; 3) Voice work appears to be originating from-- not French cabbie himself - but a voice actor - or perhaps the dialogue is simply not syncing with French cabbie's lips. To be fair though, French cabbie did gift us with one helluva face of pain, one decade before Brosnan made it a trend.

53487908891_3f6598d9e9_o.png
    "Don't tell me to relax!"
    Definitely Mr. French Taxi Man, he's like someone out of a Tex Avery cartoon!
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I think you're too tough on the actors here. It would have been up to the director to avoid most of that strange behaviour. That being said, yeah, I guess the taxi driver is the nominee for me, too.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Oh Stealth Boat Captain for me: he's hamming it up way too much.

Taxi driver is giving it what he's been hired to- a big bit of fun.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Taxi driver! His acting is the worst. Even his movements are totally over the top.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Taxi driver! His acting is the worst. Even his movements are totally over the top.
    "You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me?" Oh...wait...
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    What I can never stop looking at in the taxi driver Eiffel Tower bit is that they have to do a Texas switch on Bond as he runs up to the taxi and switch from a stuntman in the background to Roger in the foreground opening the car door, presumably because Roger wouldn't run from over there to just here :D
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.

Well to be fair that 1983 Renault 11 (or other models used) was Taxi Driver's livelihood. It's not so surprising a reaction in that respect. We should all relate and sympathize with the predicament he didn't warrant but had to endure.

But yes, Taxi Driver.

0cd89a6499894b5a02b98a0a7a2b0ac552608f18.gifv
    4838203952a38143d067e879b7835576d51a0bbf.gifv
    b0770325657e187eb5af5573f52ccfe1beb1bd98.gifv
    61470ca5dd93bee5e954ab0b753cbfc5ef0cd80e.gifv

4c75fbba-5526-4863-af82-855fc9a969ad_text.gif
    1adb957441cdeacec32df2e252a6146e.gif
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited January 27 Posts: 8,521
    mtm wrote: »
    What I can never stop looking at in the taxi driver Eiffel Tower bit is that they have to do a Texas switch on Bond as he runs up to the taxi and switch from a stuntman in the background to Roger in the foreground opening the car door, presumably because Roger wouldn't run from over there to just here :D

Just got home from a dinner, read this, and now, although past my bedtime, stuck AVTAK to see this, 😂. Just to watch this scene!

EDIT: now I can’t ever un-see that. Never noticed it before. Good catch @mtm
  • peter wrote: »

Just got home from a dinner, read this, and now, although past my bedtime, stuck AVTAK to see this, 😂. Just to watch this scene!

Brilliant. Sir Roger had his strengths as Bond but athleticism wasn't one of them.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    peter wrote: »

It’s quite funny isn’t it! :D
    “Roger, we need to run from that door to this car and hop in”
    “Er… no I don’t think so”
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited January 27 Posts: 5,980
    LOL. I think Moore is underrated as an actor, but, and they pointed this out in one of the MI6 podcasts, so much of AVTAK is shot by daylight when night scenes would have really showcased, say, the Eiffel Tower or Chantilly.

They theorized that it was because Moore, Glen, etc. were kind of on autopilot with success by this point and did not want long night shoots.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I wouldn’t be surprised if that was the case, @echo . Night shoots are terrible. When I was first starting out, I was working in music videos and we did an all nighter for a Nickleback video. When I left the set that morning, I stumbled into the rising sun, feeling miserable and i slept the entire day, screwing up my sleep for most of that week (sensitive internal clock).
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Interesting thought, but you do have San Fran by night, and if you're skydiving off the Eiffel Tower I think you want to see it. Yes, it is a bit silly that they're all wearing evening dress in the middle of the day, but y'know :D
    It is great that most action scenes in Bond movies are shot in the bright light of the day. Bond movies are proud of their action scenes and we are able to see them clearly. Nothing has to be hidden in the dark for safing money like they do in many bad action flicks. Of course, night action can also look great when the lights are used smartly i.e. when light and shadows are used to set the mood or when a fire becomes to art like in SF.
    I'm glad that we can enjoy the Paris action in daylight in AVTAK despite not making totally sense storywise. (To be fair, I never thought about this before in this scene!) On the other hand, if it would be at night, the taxi driver's gestures would maybe distract me less.

P.S. the jump on the bus is very exciting and deserves more credit.
    On the other hand, if it would be at night, the taxi driver's gestures would maybe distract me less.

LOL, and agreed.

The fire engine chase is shot at night in AVTAK! ( Or doesn't that count because it's rubbish?)
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    The fire engine chase is shot at night in AVTAK! ( Or doesn't that count because it's rubbish?)

I didn't forget that one. It was more an overall statement for the Bond movies. There are exceptions of course and they can work like the Palmyra scene in TB.

I wouldn't say that the fire engine chase is rubbish. For me, the stunt work is solid and there are some nice jokes in it (I definitely loved it as a young teenager).
    Anyway, back to the taxi driver...his Klebbie should be a safe bet.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

It is a brilliant stunt which took me years to really appreciate. I'm not sure I've seen it in any other film (not that it makes a lot of sense I guess, but it's cool!).
    Mathis1 wrote: »

I think Moore did that mostly in the studio, not on location at night.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    There was at least some proof of concept in previous films.

06ebff02745ec357124ffa59d7e4741dc7b9337c.gifv
    414e25b083ad052a8e5781f9c494adadd895d560.gifv

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    It's a hard choice, but I'll go for the stealth boat captain. He really takes me out of the film
    Put me down for French taxi guy too. He's another example of the all-over-the-place state of AVTAK. The tense chase down the Eiffel Tower and then having to stick in the stereotype for a quick cheap joke. It goes on and on with the hobo at the City Hall fire escape and the Keystone Cops in the firetruck chase.
  • Gerard Butler in TND for the win.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I'm surprised the San Francisco police captain didn't get nominated here.
    lcss4ckdvj3r.jpg
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I cannot for the life of me think of who the stealth boat captain is
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    edited February 1 Posts: 4,982
    Great stuff from the academy! We have our winner. Heading to the stage to give away the award is the Police Captain from AVTAK. He's quite miffed about his snub from the category and is warning the academy the cost of this embarrassment is going to come out of your paychecks.

The Klebbie goes to....

Taxi Driver Freaks out at the Eiffel Tower! accepting the award for the driver is a French tourist as the cabbie was filling out the paperwork on a new taxi since he's was destroyed!

Lets swing back to the Bondie side of things and talk about how the series has had scenes in some rather creative settings. Some were created by the great Ken Adams but for these we are going to look at the best use of a real setting for a Bond scene.

The nominees are:
    • Tosca Opera hosts a Quantum meeting QOS this was a clever plot point in a film that was at times lacking them. The Opera plays while Quantum plots and Bond spies. Great stuff and a very effective use of the stage!
    • Sumo Wrestling meet up YOLT Bond meets his counterpart in this unique setting. In the 60's a trip to Japan was costly and not many would have afforded it. Gilbert intercuts the wrestling with the dialogue of Bond and Aki. A great use of the real life setting to add some kinetic energy to a rather bland exposition scene.
    • Pinewood Gardens becomes a hunting ground FRWL Grant stalks Bond in the gardens of Pinewood studios. The shrubs, paths and ambience of this night time stalking is amazing. The payoff? A huge building lit up like a Christmas tree to punctuate this little adventure.
    • Amsterdam Canal Boat Ride DAF a sweet female narrator shares interesting information about the canals and the bridges. Then a grisly scene of death, ended by two men smirking and passing comment. It is a surreal moment from a different Bond movie. I love how this setting has so much going on in a short burst.
    • Bodyworlds hosts an exchange CR Bond races the clock and tails his man to this rather bizarre exhibit. The grisly scenes of the bodies is a nice back drop for the ugly business afoot by the two men.

There are undoubtedly other real life settings that were used to some effect. Feel free to write in your favourite, but try to stick to the list here. We are looking at the use of the setting and how it plays for the scene. I chose settings that had one scene or set of action taking place within it.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I have to go with QoS's Tosca scene. Not only is it gorgeous but the way it manages to incorporate spying, fighting, shooting, pursuits, and sleuthing all at once, and look so stylish in doing so, impresses me every time.
    Yep, Tosca scene from QOS for me too! Great set piece
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    In fact, I love how many cultural events and activities take place in QoS and that they organized filming around them, including Tosca and the Palio di Siena. They really help flesh out the background and transform simple Bondian activities into something way more grandiose and extravagant.