Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I suppose it hasn't stopped Donald Trump... ;)
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Oh well, just spitballing…

He actually comes off fairly well in the interview and has a decent voice.

It does make me wonder, had there been the same level in years past’ as exist today, would actors like Peter O'Toole, Richard Harris , Oliver Reed, Richard Burton and other hellraisers had careers?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Maybe he's done some self-rehabilitation in the past decade. I don't know, he's just never been on my radar, nor do I think he has the chops.
  • edited January 22 Posts: 2,952
    talos7 wrote: »
    Oh well, just spitballing…

He actually comes off fairly well in the interview and has a decent voice.

It does make me wonder, had there been the same level in years past’ as exist today, would actors like Peter O'Toole, Richard Harris , Oliver Reed, Richard Burton and other hellraisers had careers?

I imagine with someone like Reed it wouldn't have been his hellraising but his views on women which would have gotten him in more trouble in that sort of situation (although one can argue that aspect of his personality was a product of his time... not sure if I agree as even in the 60s/70s he was objectively a sexist, but I suppose he 'got away' with it slightly more easily then). Anyway, I think there was plenty of 'pearl clutching' and press coverage in regards to those actors' exploits in their day (arguably their behaviour even impacted some of their careers to some extent).

Anyway, there are actors who have careers nowadays who we know have done much worse.
    Another young actor who should be considered; my 26 year old Daughter is an admirer.

It's always good to bring a new generation of fans. He seems manly enough.
  • edited January 22 Posts: 2,952
    Having looked up Pettyfer and learnt he's been in at least four films I've seen (two big ones as the lead role), the performances of which have left absolutely no lasting impression on me, and the fact he's had quite serious allegations of domestic abuse in the past, my gut instinct is he's not going to be Bond. And honestly, we're not losing out. Really can't see anything special about the guy.
    I think it is a bit harder for we more mature fans. There are times where I now go to a new doctor and they look like a teenager. lol
    007HallY wrote: »
    Having looked up Pettyfer and learnt he's been in at least four films I've seen (two big ones as the lead role), the performances of which have left absolutely no lasting impression on me, and the fact he's had quite serious allegations of domestic abuse in the past, my gut instinct is he's not going to be Bond. And honestly, we're not losing out. Really can't see anything special about the guy.

Oops. Didn't know that.
    edited January 23 Posts: 17,816
    We all have skeletons in our cupboard. Some of us quite literally.
    Dragonpol wrote: »

True. It's unreasonable to expect any actor to have no 'skeletons', but I think there's a spectrum with these things. I can't imagine EON taking an actor if it was known they had a history of alleged domestic abuse.
    007HallY wrote: »
    Dragonpol wrote: »

True. It's unreasonable to expect any actor to have no 'skeletons', but I think there's a spectrum with these things. I can't imagine EON taking an actor if it was known they had a history of alleged domestic abuse.

Yes, that's true. Like Equity prospective Bond actors have to come to the role with "clean hands" and as little personal baggage as is humanly possible. The Bond role is usually a long-term investment in an actor after all and Eon and the studio etc. won't want someone with negative press if they can avoid it.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Surprise surprise, @Denbigh's talking about Callum again, but just noticed he was on This Morning yesterday.

• He still has a very boyish look to me.
  • edited January 23 Posts: 6,677
    I watched The Boys in the Boat the other day, and I must say, I am in full agreement with my friend @Denbigh on this one. Would make for a brilliant Bond, on all accounts.

He's probably my number one on a very small list now. Actually, scratch that. Right now, he's alone on that list. Good voice, good physique, good actor, good presence, bit of charisma, intelligent on conversations, a bit period like, if you know what I mean.

All and all, Callum Turner for Bond! (if one cannot have the other Turner... why not?)
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Univex wrote: »
    All and all, Callum Turner for Bond! (if one cannot have the other Turner... why not?)
    simpson.gif
    Denbigh wrote: »
    simpson.gif

;)

Masters-Of-The-Air-Callum-Turner-Jacket-2.jpg
    simpson.gif

;)

Masters-Of-The-Air-Callum-Turner-Jacket-2.jpg

Just have Moneypenny give him a proper old fashioned shave first.
    Not fully convinced, but closer ; @Denbigh you may be a visionary and noticed a diamond in the rough
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Not fully convinced, but closer ; @Denbigh you may be a visionary and noticed a diamond in the rough
    I probably should've kept my mouth shut cause from experience it seems EON do the opposite of whatever I suggest haha :D
  • edited January 23 Posts: 6,677
    I probably should've kept my mouth shut cause from experience it seems EON do the opposite of whatever I suggest haha :D

Nah, let the campaign begin :)

MV5BMjFhMjFhMWMtYTkyYy00NWEyLTkxZTYtYmNlNDA5NzRlNzdjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg3MDM0OTU@._V1_.jpg

Besides, @Denbigh, he thinks it’s his mom who’s behind all the rumours:

https://people.com/callum-turner-jokes-his-mom-behind-james-bond-casting-rumors-exclusive-8418677
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

https://people.com/callum-turner-jokes-his-mom-behind-james-bond-casting-rumors-exclusive-8418677
    Well my surname is actually Turner... no relation (that I know of) ;)

World exclusive, @Denbigh is actually Callum Turner's mom! You've heard it here first :D

I've always known... ;)
    Callum, you sly dog, good to have you on the boards.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited January 23 Posts: 5,869

World exclusive, @Denbigh is actually Callum Turner's mom! You've heard it here first :D
    Callum, you sly dog, good to have you on the boards.
    07nsna.gif

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    The biggest issue I have with Callum Turner is that he doesn't look tough enough. All the other areas he ticks all the right boxes, but he doesn't have that hard edge. He doesn't have that blunt instrument killer look.
    That's not to say he doesn't deserve a screentest. ;)
  • I’m not sure why, by with a mustache he reminds me of Errol Flynn or Lawrence Olivier.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Surprise surprise, @Denbigh's talking about Callum again, but just noticed he was on This Morning yesterday.

I'm distracted by the other fellas weird fake voice, it sounds like he's trying way too hard to sound tough. He doesn't sound natural

Turner is a talented actor, he definitely deserves a screentest even if he's not someone I'd choose.
    Good deep voice but sounds like a chav. He must eat like Henry Cavill.
    Good deep voice but sounds like a chav. He must eat like Henry Cavill.

Or Henry Chavill if you prefer.
    Benny wrote: »
    The biggest issue I have with Callum Turner is that he doesn't look tough enough. All the other areas he ticks all the right boxes, but he doesn't have that hard edge. He doesn't have that blunt instrument killer look.
    That's not to say he doesn't deserve a screentest. ;)

I don't know, for me he just looks too laddish.