Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• edited January 14 Posts: 6,677
    I’ve changed my mind on ATJ. Smugness must be earned, and he hasn’t earned it. And I too detest his high pitched voice. It seems there are no good deep voices in cinema these days. So sad. Where have all the Welsh men gone? ;) We need a shakesperian thespian with character and a deep voice, one who enters the room and steals all eyes and ears. Where has masculinity gone? And don’t get me talking about that soft eyed bland fella Sope whatever. If that is alpha, we as a gender are in trouble. There are simply no good candidates, let’s face it. 2024 is just another year on the snowflake double decker parade that the new millennium has brought us. Finding a real man, as that lovely lady from the boat said back in the 80s, is the same as longing for a messiah.

EON has a messianic task in hand, if they succeed, it’ll be a triumph for all humanity ;)
  • Univex wrote: »
    Where has masculinity gone?

You don't find ATJ masculine enough?
    Benny wrote: »
    If finding a suitable young actor is hard. ( For us fans it seems to be, it may not be for EON and the casting director) Then what about going for an older actor.
    Also, following on from Daniel Craig could be a hard act to follow. But what if the actor chosen for Bond 26 already has experience. It's just a thought, but what if Pierce Brosnan came back for one film as James Bond. Obviously, Pierce is in his early 70's now, so he couldn't do as much action as he once did. A retired Bond called back to duty on one last mission, a sort of NSNA film, but made by EON.
    It probably doesn't sound as good as it did in my head, but I also thought it would make the transition from Craig to the next actor easier, if in between we had an aging former Bond. It's just a thought.

Weirdly, I think there are casual Bond viewers who’d like to see Brosnan back for such a one off. I think the issues are that NTTD is a film about an ageing, retired Bond being brought back for one last mission anyway, and personally I think it’s a nice precedent that actors are able to leave the role behind after their tenures (obviously Connery is the exception here).
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    I find him a bit forgettable in general, he vanishes into the roles but to the point were I wouldn't even know he was in it at all
    Spot on, actually, mate - it was only when I watched The Wall for the third time that I remembered ATJ was in it! Not even kidding.

If finding a suitable young actor is hard. ( For us fans it seems to be, it may not be for EON and the casting director) Then what about going for an older actor.
    Also, following on from Daniel Craig could be a hard act to follow. But what if the actor chosen for Bond 26 already has experience. It's just a thought, but what if Pierce Brosnan came back for one film as James Bond. Obviously, Pierce is in his early 70's now, so he couldn't do as much action as he once did. A retired Bond called back to duty on one last mission, a sort of NSNA film, but made by EON.
    It probably doesn't sound as good as it did in my head, but I also thought it would make the transition from Craig to the next actor easier, if in between we had an aging former Bond. It's just a thought.

Well, NSNA was a near perfect comeback for Connery's Bond and some fans don't like it.

A Pierce's comeback is like a shot in the foot. It's not going to please anyone.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    This could be a nice " audition" for Theo James.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    James sold me as a possible nominee in S2 of The White Lotus. He's probably too old for them now though sadly.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited January 15 Posts: 7,983
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    James sold me as a possible nominee in S2 of The White Lotus. He's probably too old for them now though sadly.

Indeed, he's 39. In a crop of young(ish) actors with thin voices, his is an exception; the line in the trailer where he says "Should we play, or should we talk?" is very Bond.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    talos7 wrote: »

Indeed, he's 39. In a crop of young(ish) actors with thin voices, his is an exception; the line in the trailer where he says "Should we play, or should we talk?" is very Bond.

I agree. I loved that line. Cut like a knife.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Funny Theo James name has been mentioned in here. I just watched the trailer and thought the exact same thing.
    Seems us Bond fans have an eye and an ear for such things.
    I don't think an actor at 39 should be ruled out just yet. I guess it depends how far off from production they are.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Theo James would be a good choice, I think if he was early 30's he'd be higher up most people's list.

Me and Mrs watched the time traveller's wife and there was one scene were he threatened someone who hurt his his wife and it was very Bondian
    Funny Theo James name has been mentioned in here. I just watched the trailer and thought the exact same thing.
    I don't think an actor at 39 should be ruled out just yet. I guess it depends how far off from production they are.

He'll be 59 by then.
    CrabKey wrote: »

He'll be 59 by then.

That's why I keep suggesting my son as the next Bond.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Ludovico wrote: »

He'll be 59 by then.

He's in with a good chance at the minute. ;)
  • edited January 16 Posts: 303
    Univex wrote: »
    I’ve changed my mind on ATJ. Smugness must be earned, and he hasn’t earned it. And I too detest his high pitched voice. It seems there are no good deep voices in cinema these days. So sad. Where have all the Welsh men gone? ;) We need a shakesperian thespian with character and a deep voice, one who enters the room and steals all eyes and ears. Where has masculinity gone? And don’t get me talking about that soft eyed bland fella Sope whatever. If that is alpha, we as a gender are in trouble. There are simply no good candidates, let’s face it. 2024 is just another year on the snowflake double decker parade that the new millennium has brought us. Finding a real man, as that lovely lady from the boat said back in the 80s, is the same as longing for a messiah.

EON has a messianic task in hand, if they succeed, it’ll be a triumph for all humanity ;)

Lol. Your final paragraph! 😄

On the positive side... the next Bond film may be a few years away so there's time for an unknown candidate to appear that is more to your liking. You never know. 😉

Another unknown will need years of research, prep, secret knowledge etc
  • edited January 16 Posts: 6,677
    I campaigned actively for Theo James ages ago. He’s as has been as Aidan Turner, unfortunately, as far as age is concerned. Too bad, he’s got a brilliant voice, as deep as, say, Richard Armitage’s. He voiced the Witcher animated movie at some point.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Univex wrote: »
    I campaigned actively for Theo James ages ago. He’s as has been as Aidan Turner, unfortunately, as far as age is concerned. Too bad, he’s got a brilliant voice, as deep as, say, Richard Armitage’s. He voiced the Witcher animated movie at some point.

It feels like we've missed a whole generation of potential Bond actors due to the unprecedented length of the Daniel Craig Bond era. Ah, well. Onwards and upwards, I suppose...
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    edited January 16 Posts: 1,381
    For me, Michael Fassbender would forever be the one that got away.
  • edited January 17 Posts: 2,952
    We’ll never know the actors who are the ‘missed opportunities’. Nor does it matter either. In some ways I think it misses the point of how a Bond actor is cast. It’s not a case where any of them were born to play the part or ‘the chosen ones’ (natural as many of them were in the role), it was simply that they were the best options from a pool of candidates available, who in turn were chosen with what the producers wanted to do with the film in mind. I don’t think any alternative actor was denied an opportunity during Craig’s rather long run because the producers had the best Bond available to them at the time - Daniel Craig. I really can’t see Fassbender (an actor who I nowadays genuinely don’t think would have made a good Bond at all and even if considered would never have gotten the role), Henry Cavill, Idris Elba, Tom Hardy, or Aidan Turner giving us anything better.

And yes, applying that to now, out of the many actors around, and the inevitably shorter list of them EON will audition for Bond, there are plenty of ‘good’ candidates. Even if we can’t quite see it in them or don’t know of some of these actors.
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »

He'll be 59 by then.

He's in with a good chance at the minute. ;)

If he becomes an actor, he'll have the right age at the next auditions.
  • For me, Michael Fassbender would forever be the one that got away.
    Fassbender, Aidan Turner, Jamie Dornan. They are the missed opportunities of the second half of the 2010s. I could add Sam Claflin who could have been a great pick if he debuted in 2021 or 2022. Now, the ship seems to have sailed for him too.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Brosnan started at 42 and he definitely didn't look it. Theo James can definitely pull it off if production starts in 2026
    Brosnan started at 42 and he definitely didn't look it. Theo James can definitely pull it off if production starts in 2026

The only issue with that comparison is we still got four installments in seven years during Brosnan's time. I imagine this next era will yield half that amount in a similar timeframe.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart

The only issue with that comparison is we still got four installments in seven years during Brosnan's time. I imagine this next era will yield half that amount in a similar timeframe.

Yeah I agree. It just sucks that we've received nothing in terms of news besides BB stating they don't know where to go and the rumor of Nolan getting shut down because he wanted a 1950s period piece.

Yeah I agree. It just sucks that we've received nothing in terms of news besides BB stating they don't know where to go and the rumor of Nolan getting shut down because he wanted a 1950s period piece.

I'll be happy to get news but I expected it'd be at least 3-4 years post-NTTD before we got anything concrete.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »
    I imagine this next era will yield half that amount in a similar timeframe.
    One film every three years would be perfectly honorable in my opinion. If the Craig's era managed to maintain this rhythm in its second half, NTTD could have been released in 2018 and we may have had Bond 26 since then.
    edited January 17 Posts: 4,423

I'll be happy to get news but I expected it'd be at least 3-4 years post-NTTD before we got anything concrete.

We're creeping up on 3 since NTTD was released and 4 and change since production was finished. Figure we are coming up on 4 years since NTTD was supposed to be released. 2/14/20
    I imagine this next era will yield half that amount in a similar timeframe.
    One film every three years would be perfectly honorable in my opinion. If the Craig's era managed to maintain this rhythm in its second half, NTTD could have been released in 2018 and we may have had Bond 26 since then.

That's really the most I'll hope for in the coming years. If they can nail that release schedule, that's good enough for me.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    edited January 17 Posts: 1,381
    For me, Michael Fassbender would forever be the one that got away.
    Fassbender, Aidan Turner, Jamie Dornan. They are the missed opportunities of the second half of the 2010s. I could add Sam Claflin who could have been a great pick if he debuted in 2021 or 2022. Now, the ship seems to have sailed for him too.

Yeah. Those guys' ship have long-sailed far away from James Bond.