Was SPECTRE a disappointment?

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited January 14 Posts: 14,957
    mtm wrote: »
    It doesn't really matter- do I buy it as a convincing bit of retroactive plotting? Of course not. But Blofeld's weapon is surveillance and intelligence: the film is telling us, screaming at us, that he's used that against Bond and continues to use it against his friends literally as we watch.

It isn't, though. Blofeld doesn't surveil Bond at any point in this film, nor does he reveal knowledge of private information, nor do we see things one expects to see in a film where the villain is surveilling the hero. It's unlikely the screenwriters want us to think Blofeld made Vesper kill herself, and even less likely that they want us to think that he did it with his weapon of surveillance.

"Or did you think it was coincidence that all of the women in your life ended up dead? Vesper Lynd for example."
    An odd line to put in if they didn't want us to think that. I would say that line makes it substantially more likely, in fact. Because it's right there.

And if he didn't use surveillance and intelligence, how would he know about it?
    If he's lying about it it doesn't matter because if he is we never find out about it, and it would undermine the story the film is trying to tell if he were. Was it because Bond stumbled upon his plans first? Maybe, but again- it doesn't matter: it's the nature of the weapon being used, not who fired the first shot. "You interfered in my world, I destroyed yours".

So here it is: You interfered in my world, so I destroyed yours (M, for example) with my weapon of surveillance. :)) You kept messing up my plans, so I kept surveilling you, and that caused your women to die. :)) No, he's not saying that, the screenwriters don't mean for him to be saying that, Bond doesn't hear it that way, it's ridiculous.

Why are you putting those emojis in? Either we can talk in a civil manner or not. One person has already bailed on speaking to you in this conversation because of that.
    In fact, on second thought, they were right: I'm not interested in speaking to you further if that's how you're going to behave and you're just intent on making this a nasty argument. Night.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    edited January 14 Posts: 1,691

"Or did you think it was coincidence that all of the women in your life ended up dead? Vesper Lynd for example."
    An odd line to put in if they didn't want us to think that. I would say that line makes it substantially more likely, in fact. Because it's right there.

Not very odd, no, not when he wants to proudly claim responsibility for Bond's misery. Odd would be expecting the audience to infer what you claim to be inferring, and then go out of your way to not demonstrate how Blofeld's decades of surveillance were put to any use whatsoever in making Bond's life miserable. Even in this very movie! I mean, Hinx has to use Mr White's security camera to track a man his organization has been extensively surveilling for decades! Odd! (Expecting us to think Blofeld used surveillance to cause Vesper to commit suicide: also extremely odd)

Uh, serious question? Because all of it involved people working for his organization. Seriously?
    Why are you putting those emojis in? .

Because it's very, very silly?

But on a less silly note, I recently noticed that when Bond is given his room at the crater base, he looks out the window, seemingly at the same pipes he fires at later. Nice!
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?

Not very odd, no, not when he wants to proudly claim responsibility for Bond's misery. Odd would be expecting the audience to infer what you claim to be inferring, and then go out of your way to not demonstrate how Blofeld's decades of surveillance were put to any use whatsoever in making Bond's life miserable. Even in this very movie! I mean, Hinx has to use Mr White's security camera to track a man his organization has been extensively surveilling for decades! Odd! (Expecting us to think Blofeld used surveillance to cause Vesper to commit suicide: also extremely odd)

Uh, serious question? Because all of it involved people working for his organization. Seriously?

But on a less silly note, I recently noticed that when Bond is given his room at the crater base, he looks out the window, seemingly at the same pipes he fires at later. Nice!

Also, as another touch, Bond’s room looks into the base, and Madeline’s looks outwards.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Mallory wrote: »

Also, as another touch, Bond’s room looks into the base, and Madeline’s looks outwards.

I love that the Modigliani from Skyfall is hanging in Madeline's room.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    edited January 15 Posts: 2,057
    Mallory wrote: »

I love that the Modigliani from Skyfall is hanging in Madeline's room.

Yep, its blink and you miss it, but I appreciate the production design and set dressing went to that level of detail.

The Bond series has always had fun with paintings and hidden meanings, all the way back to Dr No.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited February 23 Posts: 8,087
    A thought just occurred to me - why was SP so bad?

We know why Quantum was bad, the writers strike etc. Bond 25 had Boyle leaving and drafting in Fukunaga last minute, but SP had the returning triumphant crew of the most successful bond film of all time, plus Waltz as blofeld, two awesome actresses as bond girls, bautista as a formidable henchman. Awesome locations, 300 million dollar budget, a brand new gadget laden Aston. Literally everything was in place, how did it go so wrong?

Was there a particular reason a production so set up for easy success turned into such a turkey?
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited February 23 Posts: 2,928
    I love QOS and I like SP, so I don't agree with the premise. But if we ask why SP was a troubled production that didn't quite fire on all cylinders, there's a few clues in here:

https://bleedingcool.com/movies/when-blofeld-was-a-woman-in-spectre-sony-leaks/
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    A thought just occurred to me - why was SP so bad?

We know why Quantum was bad, the writers strike etc. Bond 25 had Boyle leaving and drafting in Fukunaga last minute, but SP had the returning triumphant crew of the most successful bond film of all time, plus Waltz as blofeld, two awesome actresses as bond girls, bautista as a formidable henchman. Awesome locations, 300 million dollar budget, a brand new gadget laden Aston. Literally everything was in place, how did it go so wrong?

Was there a particular reason a production so set up for easy success turned into such a turkey?

Evidently, I disagree with nearly everything in your post, @Mendes4Lyfe. I think QOS is a pretty solid Bond film, all the more respectable because of the w.s. complications, but a nice film nonetheless. NTTD -- yes, there's a title to the film, but I'm glad you at least acknowledge that Bond 25 exists -- is a well-made film IMO. And SP is my second favourite Bond film of the Craig era.

That said, a "winning team" isn't always quality guaranteed. Take DAF. With Connery returning, the director of GF returning, and the likes of Barry, Adams, Moore, Maibaum and many more all working on this film, you'd expect an absolute delight. Well, a charming film though it is, DAF is far from perfect in my book. As the follow-up film to OHMSS, it should have been a magnificent film, even if UA wanted to make audiences forget about the one with Lazenby.

The way I see it, great ingredients do not guarantee a great film.
    You can’t please everyone, and just because different creatives are brought on for these films and stories/ideas adapt over time, each film in a Bond era will be slightly different. Anyway, I’m of the opinion that there’s no perfect Bond era. Despite people’s nostalgia for the 60s films, even the early Connery run isn’t what I’d call perfect by any stretch (it’s just my personal opinion, but despite my love of FRWL and GF, I have my criticisms of DN - again much as I love it - and I’d argue TB is a big down step in quality compared to the first three. I also find YOLT boring, and actually prefer revisiting SP to these). Of course we all have our differing opinions of Craig’s run as a whole, and indeed SP.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited February 24 Posts: 17,691
    In 2015 I walked out of SPECTRE happy as a clam. My opinions on most Craig Bonds have changed a bit here & there, but my opinion of SPECTRE has remained precisely the same. It's a crowd-pleaser, much like YOLT. An easy film to adore. Both SP & YOLT have their serious problems, but the sheer enjoyment outweighs them IMO.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    edited February 25 Posts: 1,368
    Yeah. I immediately loved SP after seeing NTTD. I didn't like it much before. But today, I love SP. Even with all its experimental problems, it still feels like a Bond film than NTTD.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    In 2015 I walked out of SPECTRE happy as a clam. My opinions on most Craig Bonds have changed a bit here & there, but my opinion of SPECTRE has remained precisely the same. It's a crowd-pleaser, much like YOLT. An easy film to adore. Both SP & YOLT have their serious problems, but the sheer enjoyment outweighs them IMO.

I too walked out of 'Spectre' very satisfied, as I am one of the few who came away from 'Skyfall' very disappointed!
    Mathis1 wrote: »

I too walked out of 'Spectre' very satisfied, as I am one of the few who came away from 'Skyfall' very disappointed!

I'm with you. SF is a good film, but it remains my least favourite film in the entire Craig era. SP feels much more like a Bond film to me. I have warmed up to SF, but it still doesn't beat the likes of CR, QOS or SP. Even NTTD, last time I watched both closely together, had more to offer.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Mathis1 wrote: »

I'm with you. SF is a good film, but it remains my least favourite film in the entire Craig era. SP feels much more like a Bond film to me. I have warmed up to SF, but it still doesn't beat the likes of CR, QOS or SP. Even NTTD, last time I watched both closely together, had more to offer.

Exactly my feelings! SF was well made, but it never felt like I was watching a Bond movie! I still have to watch NTTD a few more times to know where it stands in the Craig era, but there is a lot of good stuff in it, particularly in the first half!
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited February 25 Posts: 2,928
    Yeh, the change in direction and consequent drop in quality between QOS and SF still disappoints me, all these years later. If Craig had made another three like QOS where Bond was an unstoppable force of nature at the top of his game and then SF, fair enough, but to pretty much just throw away what they'd achieved without exploring it further...shame.
    edited February 25 Posts: 23,548
    Venutius wrote: »
    Yeh, the change in direction and consequent drop in quality between QOS and SF still disappoints me, all these years later. If Craig had made another three like QOS where Bond was an unstoppable force of nature at the top of his game and then SF, fair enough, but to pretty much just throw away what they'd achieved without exploring it further...shame.

Exactly. We jumped from 'Bond Begins' (CR, QOS) to 'Old Man Bond' (SF). Where were Craig's 'Bond In Top Form' films in between?

Also, SP didn't address the issue of a mature Bond as obviously and explicitly as SF. SP feels less of a 'Bond Past His Prime' film than the first act of SF.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Venutius wrote: »

If that's how the era went instead, it just might've been my shining favorite of them all. I will never be able to express my full disappointment in where the series went after QoS in 2008.
    Yeah. Craig's Bond needed 2 or 3 films like CR & QoS before settling into the old secret agent mode. It's something almost every fan wanted for Craig's Bond. I too was surprised at the swift change after QoS.
    I’m personally glad we had a bit of a time jump into SF. I think seeing Craig’s Bond in his initial 007 years through the Vesper story was best. I’m not sure what more films would have added (I doubt it would have been successful for the franchise/Craig’s run as a whole).

One thing I actually like about SP is seeing a Bond in his prime who seems invigorated and even humorous after going through traumatic events (SF I always see as his middle years as a 00 and SP is his peak).
    When a Bond film doesn't seem like a Bond film, what exactly are we talking about?
    With a lot of time now passed since NTTD, and thus the end of the Craig era, it’s interesting to look back and ask the “what ifs.” I think SP marked the point of no return that decided Craig’s era would be heavily continuity-based, which I’d argue hurt more than helped. QOS when it came out was the only really direct sequel to a previous Bond movie, and given its weak reception they opted for a fresh start again with SF next, which ends setting things up for future standalone entries. Given how well it was received, it made thing especially head-scratching as to why they chose to connect things so much again with SP.

I believe CR and SF will continue to stand the test of time and generally be looked at fondly by the hardcore and casual Bond fans, as they both are wonderfully self-contained and offer lots of greatness. The other three will certainly be less widely praised, with some notable detractors but also some passionate fans. Personally, I consider CR and SF top-tier films with minimal issues, and I do enjoy most of QOS and NTTD. SP, though, has been near the bottom of my rankings for a while, and I think a part of that to me is its legacy of retconning and unnecessarily forcing Craig’s films to be one continuous thing. It’s surprising I like QOS and NTTD as much as I do, I suppose, but both of them still entertained me a lot more than SP and felt closer to the seriousness Craig introduced to the franchise.
    CrabKey wrote: »
    When a Bond film doesn't seem like a Bond film, what exactly are we talking about?

The usual loner swagger Bond brings and him doing extraordinary and inventive things, also if not all, hints of the usual Bond style and class.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    With a lot of time now passed since NTTD, and thus the end of the Craig era, it’s interesting to look back and ask the “what ifs.” I think SP marked the point of no return that decided Craig’s era would be heavily continuity-based, which I’d argue hurt more than helped. QOS when it came out was the only really direct sequel to a previous Bond movie, and given its weak reception they opted for a fresh start again with SF next, which ends setting things up for future standalone entries. Given how well it was received, it made thing especially head-scratching as to why they chose to connect things so much again with SP.

I believe CR and SF will continue to stand the test of time and generally be looked at fondly by the hardcore and casual Bond fans, as they both are wonderfully self-contained and offer lots of greatness. The other three will certainly be less widely praised, with some notable detractors but also some passionate fans. Personally, I consider CR and SF top-tier films with minimal issues, and I do enjoy most of QOS and NTTD. SP, though, has been near the bottom of my rankings for a while, and I think a part of that to me is its legacy of retconning and unnecessarily forcing Craig’s films to be one continuous thing. It’s surprising I like QOS and NTTD as much as I do, I suppose, but both of them still entertained me a lot more than SP and felt closer to the seriousness Craig introduced to the franchise.

That's the thing. Standalone Bond films gives room for variety and relaxes the filmmakers, knowing they don't have to think about the previous films. Craig's Bond would have easily had a new female lead in NTTD, if not for the films linking with each other. Although, even the linking would have been done wonderfully. For example, a character like Lucia not returning from SP and given more to do. Also, Blofeld not getting to show his baddie qualities more in unique ways.
    Sometimes, I feel like if Craig's Bond were all standalones, he would have done more, because the writers won't have had to think too deep about the previous films before writing.
    edited February 25 Posts: 23,548
    I don't mind the films being linked to each other, I just don't think it was all done extremely well. There's always the risk of making the world a lot smaller by adding up too many coincidences or "it was all planned from the beginning" twists. Also, you risk making big elements from a previous film (the sinister Spectre organisation) look very small in the next film (Spectre gets wiped out all at once at a party.)

So while I love the Craig years, I will admit that there's some disgruntlement over here about how some things were handled.
  • Personally I don’t use the criticism that a Bond film doesn’t feel as if it’s a Bond film. Most films in the series in fact vary in terms of style/tone, but it’s the elements/tropes contained in the formula that make it a Bond film. I mean FRWL, LALD, or GE have very little in common in terms of tone/style with their predecessors or successors, but most of us recognize it them as classic James Bond adventures anyways.
    edited February 25 Posts: 1,368
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I don't mind the films being linked to each other, I just don't think it was all done extremely well. There's always the risk of making the world a lot smaller by adding up too many coincidences or "it was all planned from the beginning" twists. Also, you risk making big elements from a previous film (the sinister Spectre organisation) look very small in the next film (Spectre gets wiped out all at once at a party.)

So while I love the Craig years, I will admit that there's some disgruntlement over here about how some things were handled.

Yeah. Same here. If linking must occur, it should be done properly. Craig's Bond era was an experimental era. Some elements worked, some didn't. But Craig's Bond portrayal itself, worked.
    Right now, I simply can't imagine Eon doing standalone Bond films anymore, which I would have liked, though. Also, It seems like from here on out, every Bond actor would have linked films and different timelines, self-contained eras and all that. Only...they won't retcon things anymore, as they would plan ahead of time.
  • edited February 25 Posts: 6,816
    CrabKey wrote: »

For me its Bond appearing past it, and washed up ( no pun intended!) and not having the usual traits we associate with him. I also took a while to get used to the new Moneypenny and Q- one was trying too hard, the other not trying had enough!!, I missed the exotic locations we usually have. (We were spoiled with QOS!) It was obvious some of the scenes here were on sets, plus the action I felt was rather ordinary and not what we expect from Bond! I was not expecting parachute jumps off cliffs from this film, but you do expect something original and exciting from Bond rather than dull shootouts at a tribunal and the silly 'Home Alone' booby trap nonsense at the finale! The pts wasn't bad, but it was at odds with the type of action we got later! I did like the final scene in Ms office, but even that came at the end rather than the beginning!
  • SP is like a darker Brosnan film IMO.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    SP is like a darker Brosnan film IMO.

I think it's the closest to a "traditional" Bond film that the Craig era ever did and that was their intention so they were on point there.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    I think regardless of how much someone likes each particular Craig film, it's hard to imagine the CR-QOS style not being kind of a dead end. Apart from the bits that resemble Fleming's novel, nothing in CR is very Bondian at all, and the vast majority of scenes could be from any other action movie or melodrama. QOS continues this, and does a bit more traditionally Bondian stuff (the hotel finale, for example), but then doesn't have even the faint shadow of Fleming CR had.

I know people moan about the few minutes of quick editing in QOS and it's not a widely loved film (certainly not like CR), but if you take the card table out of Casino Royale, it just has little to do with James Bond, and that's what really bothers people about QOS. Making James Bond something that bears little resemblance to any past incarnation (Fleming/EON) wouldn't be sustainable over a generation of films.

(To be clear, I love QOS!)