"You missed Mister Bond!"..."Did I?"...The Missed Opportunities of Never Say Never Again

Comments

• edited January 9 Posts: 724
    SIS_HQ wrote: »
    He's such a weak villain for me, his intentions are blurry and not fleshed out, why he wants the ATAC? What's his intention to it? Why does he want to sell it to the Russians?.

I thought his reason was just money. I mean it works; and he's a quite realistic villain. It's quite true that he is bland: I think a more lively character, someone like Darko or Mathis or somebody who seems like the "firm, dry handshake" provider Fleming often wrote about, would make the twist more interesting.

I do remember some John Le Carre saying something along the lines of if James Bond was really a spy he'd be really easy to turn if you gave him cheap booze and available women. Especially after all the madness in Moonraker, putting that in one character and as the villain in the next movie would make an interesting contrast

The possible reason, but again, the guy had a lots of money, he could pay his henchmen, he had an opium warehouse or even a factory, he's even sponsoring a figure skater, so I don't think his needs for money is a viable reason if we think of these things, I don't know.

But his intentions or motivations weren't clear, he's just shallow as a villain, realistic yes, he's no Stromberg, Kananga or Drax, but him being a villain is where it all falls apart, because in writing a good villain needs to have strong and plausible motivation, the plot around him needs to be clear, but Kristatos wasn't just it, he's just.....Kinda there.

I agree, it needs a lively villain to make such things work, Sanchez is a realistic villain, Alec Trevelyan is a realistic villain, or even Max Zorin or Le Chiffre, because they all have their weaknesses (they're not over the top) but for all the realism that they have, they've managed to leave an impression upon the audiences, made their characters memorable, but Kristatos just falls flat and bland, it needs to leave an impression upon the viewer, and he's not memorable in that aspect.

You have to believe that the villain is Columbo. That's why Kristatos is a "nice guy".

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited January 9 Posts: 14,985
    Anyway, I agree that Dalton could've make this one better, the film was obviously written with him in mind or just with a new Bond actor in mind, since Melina was mentioned here, I may also add Kristatos, he's such a weak villain for me, his intentions are blurry and not fleshed out, why he wants the ATAC? What's his intention to it? Why does he want to sell it to the Russians? Also his Opium factory also came in as an afterthought after Columbo revealed it to Bond, it was used as a plot device to have Columbo gain Bond's trust.

I think Kristatos as a villain is a missed opportunity, he ranks low in my rankings of Bond villains.

He just wants to make money...? He's a smuggler, he deals in bad stuff: the opium is a character note, if anything. Being rich doesn't mean he doesn't want to maintain his wealth by getting more money, that's how greed works.
    I don't disagree that he's a touch bland, but the motives all function perfectly.

I think his motives make straightforward sense. Unlike the baddie in the next film, but we'll get to that!
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    mtm wrote: »
    Anyway, I agree that Dalton could've make this one better, the film was obviously written with him in mind or just with a new Bond actor in mind, since Melina was mentioned here, I may also add Kristatos, he's such a weak villain for me, his intentions are blurry and not fleshed out, why he wants the ATAC? What's his intention to it? Why does he want to sell it to the Russians? Also his Opium factory also came in as an afterthought after Columbo revealed it to Bond, it was used as a plot device to have Columbo gain Bond's trust.

I think Kristatos as a villain is a missed opportunity, he ranks low in my rankings of Bond villains.

He just wants to make money...? He's a smuggler, he deals in bad stuff: the opium is a character note, if anything. Being rich doesn't mean he doesn't want to maintain his wealth by getting more money, that's how greed works.
    I don't disagree that he's a touch bland, but the motives all function perfectly.

I think his motives make straightforward sense. Unlike the baddie in the next film, but we'll get to that!

Kristatos has a bit of snobbery (and sadism) in sponsoring Bibi to win the Olympics.
  • edited January 9 Posts: 2,951
    He's such a weak villain for me, his intentions are blurry and not fleshed out, why he wants the ATAC? What's his intention to it? Why does he want to sell it to the Russians?.

I thought his reason was just money. I mean it works; and he's a quite realistic villain. It's quite true that he is bland: I think a more lively character, someone like Darko or Mathis or somebody who seems like the "firm, dry handshake" provider Fleming often wrote about, would make the twist more interesting.

I do remember some John Le Carre saying something along the lines of if James Bond was really a spy he'd be really easy to turn if you gave him cheap booze and available women. Especially after all the madness in Moonraker, putting that in one character and as the villain in the next movie would make an interesting contrast

Good points. I think it would have been better had Kristatos initially been depicted as more larger than life/in the mould of a traditional Bond ally. Preferably by a different actor.

As it is it’s relatively obvious he’s at least got ulterior motives in the film. I mean, oh yeah which of the two here is the villain - this sketchy looking character with a sort of devil’s moustache/beard, and a questionable relationship with an 18 year old ice skater (who for some reason he’s ‘sponsoring’) and is played by Julian Glover, an actor known for playing villains - or this other guy who we’ve not seen up until this point? Hmm…
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    007HallY wrote: »

Good points. I think it would have been better had Kristatos initially been depicted as more larger than life/in the mould of a traditional Bond ally. Preferably by a different actor.

That would be great; a really likeable Kerim Bey type. Brian Blessed maybe :)
    Of course Topol does a great job in that role though, and it'd be tricky to have two. Maybe Topol playing Kristatos might've been interesting.

Bearing in mind that Le Carre quote, I do think FYEO might have been the Bond film to reveal Bond is a double agent. After all, he does seem to make it increasingly easier for the Russians to get their hands on the ATAC (why not just blow it up in the sub when you find it, James?) :)
  • edited January 9 Posts: 2,951
    007HallY wrote: »

That would be great; a really likeable Kerim Bey type. Brian Blessed maybe :)
    Of course Topol does a great job in that role though, and it'd be tricky to have two. Maybe Topol playing Kristatos might've been interesting.

Bearing in mind that Le Carre quote, I do think FYEO might have been the Bond film to reveal Bond is a double agent. After all, he does seem to make it increasingly easier for the Russians to get their hands on the ATAC (why not just blow it up in the sub when you find it, James?) :)

I think Bond failing to blow up the sub would have been quite interesting and a much more tense scene. Him using a bomb to escape the coral dragging could have been cool too. More in line with the LALD novel too.

Another missed opportunity I suppose.
    echo wrote: »

Kristatos has a bit of snobbery (and sadism) in sponsoring Bibi to win the Olympics.

I wouldn't say sadism as much as grooming intentions.
  • edited January 9 Posts: 724
    Julian Glover and Topol... Weren't they too young?
    Slapping, etc.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Is the fact that Bond destroys the McGuffin at the end of the movie does make the whole adventure a bit pointless. I remember my Dad saying "why didn't he destroy it in the trawler".

It is never established if this is a one and only ATAC or whether this is simply one of many. Maybe a missed opportunity to not ramp up the stakes and make it more of a thrilling end then Bond chucking it off the cliff.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited January 9 Posts: 14,985
    thedove wrote: »
    Is the fact that Bond destroys the McGuffin at the end of the movie does make the whole adventure a bit pointless. I remember my Dad saying "why didn't he destroy it in the trawler".

It is never established if this is a one and only ATAC or whether this is simply one of many. Maybe a missed opportunity to not ramp up the stakes and make it more of a thrilling end then Bond chucking it off the cliff.

It would have to be one of many: it doesn't really make sense that the British Navy wouldn't be able to control their weapons except with one single device, especially as they made it themselves. What's the ATAC even doing on a spy trawler anyway? Isn't the boat's purpose for reconnaissance rather than command and control?

It's quite funny that this is always talked about a return to the FRWL style as the macguffin is exactly the same, except this time it's a British one instead of a Russian one.
    At least in FRWL the British wanted one to break the Russian codes. Here it seems this all powerful ATAC machine can order British fleet to attack themselves. It seems a bit far fetched. I like the idea of having to get an item back with national importance. But the execution here doesn't hold up to much scrutiny.
    While it doesn't totally make sense that Bond doesn't destroy the ATAC earlier, it makes for a nice moment with Bond and Gogol atop the mountain. Drama and suspense were more important to the story in that moment.

It's interesting.

While Bond by 1981 did follow trends, it is ahead of its time with both the Gogol character and the concept of detente, which preceded Gorbachev by about a decade.

Of course, you could also say that Orlov anticipated Putin by an even longer margin. :(
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited January 10 Posts: 14,985
    It is quite surprising that FYEO is pretty much the only time in the Cold War where Bond is actually fighting against a legitimate agent of the Soviet state as the main baddie of a film: Kristatos is doing what the Soviet Government have tasked him with and Bond is actually fighting against the Russians. Any other time Russians are involved it's a rogue agent working without the permission of their Government (Orlov, Klebb, Zorin, Pushkin etc.), or we just get a quick skirmish as part of a secondary plot (the PTSes of TSWLM, AVTAK, GE).
    Interesting point I had not entirely considered before @MTM.

I was definitely acutely aware that they went to the "Soviet Gone Rogue" well too often. But I really hadn't considered the lack of a traditional Cold War style alternative other than FYEO.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited January 10 Posts: 14,985
    Yeah, they'd even adapted books like FRWL and changed the baddies from Soviets to SPECTRE. Off the top of my head, I think the first time we see Bond even engage proper Soviets isn't until the opening of TSWLM, 15 years into the series.
    It is quite surprising that FYEO is pretty much the only time in the Cold War where Bond is actually fighting against a legitimate agent of the Soviet state as the main baddie of a film: Kristatos is doing what the Soviet Government have tasked him with and Bond is actually fighting against the Russians. Any other time Russians are involved it's a rogue agent working without the permission of their Government (Orlov, Klebb, Zorin, Pushkin etc.), or we just get a quick skirmish as part of a secondary plot (the PTSes of TSWLM, AVTAK, GE).

Even in FYEO, Kristatos is a contractor, not an official KGB agent. And I haven't watched the movie in a while, but I do remember there were tensions between him and the Russians.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    That is true, but regardless it's very rare (unique?) for a film to be focused on 007 trying to thwart the aims of the Soviet state.
    Good stuff and a great segue to our next film.

It was proudly proclaimed as an All Time High! Bond was back in Octopussy. Competing against another Bond film Cubby felt this one needed to be special. A previous actress was back at the main female and title of the film Octopussy. We had a classic villain with Louis Jordan as the main baddie and of course Steven Berkoff chewing the scenery in a role of Orlov. Yes this film has a lot packed in and yet I wonder were there missed opportunities?

What were the missed opportunities of Octopussy?

octopussy-us-one-sheet-poster.jpg

As always a missed opportunity is a story line that didn't pay off, a character not fleshed out, maybe a role was too small given the performer. Could the sets have used a punch? Was there issues with the soundtrack?
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    edited January 12 Posts: 1,006
    Just going to do some math.

Imagine the editing room...

- Indian stereotypes: the snake charmer, sword swallower, etc = <10 seconds
    - The Tarzan yell and kitty "sit!" = <5 seconds
    - The cleavage zoom = <3 seconds
    - Arrival on Union Jack hot air balloon = 20 seconds?

Basically, Octopussy is less than 1 minute away from being a pretty serious Cold War spy flick. A missed opportunity for sure.
  • edited January 12 Posts: 724
    -

Basically, Octopussy is less than 1 minute away from being a pretty serious Cold War spy flick. A missed opportunity for sure.

It's one movie away. We had that with FYEO.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited January 12 Posts: 14,985

In that it has the same evil plot as The Fourth Protocol, that's true! :D

As you mention the Tarzan bit, I do think the jungle manhunt is a bit of a missed opportunity in a way. It's quite an original idea for a Bond film (and quite Fleming-y too I think), and although there is some tension and even desperation from Roger there towards the end, I think it could have been directed as a lot more tense and been much scarier. He's literally being hunted like an animal- that's a scary idea.

I guess in terms of opportunities to flesh out characters, Kamal Khan is a problem for me in that I don't know what his motivation is. Presumably money, but why does he want to live in a world where WW3 kicks off? What will he spend his cash on if that bomb goes off? He is kind of just the villain because the film needs one, he doesn't really make much sense.

The alternative drafts are where it gets quite interesting in terms of other opportunities missed. The early versions of the script had M being assassinated, SPECTRE, Bond on the run from his own side etc. I do like OP a lot and I think the plot is great, but maybe some of those earlier scripts would have been even more exciting.
    I think a missed opportunity was to flesh out the short story/Octopussy's father aspect a bit more. Could have been some good character scenes.

In general, a bit more time in India and with Vijay would be welcome. They lucked into quite the ally with Vijay.

With more Octopussy and Vijay time before he is killed, I'd maybe cut the climax at Kamal's palace entirely and just go from the thwarted bomb to the (impressive) airplane stunts.

I suppose they had to leave Germany so that they could film the "India"/Utah jumping out of plane canyon scenes, so it would require a stunt rewrite somehow.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    echo wrote: »
    I think a missed opportunity was to flesh out the short story/Octopussy's father aspect a bit more. Could have been some good character scenes.

I did think a slightly grittier version could have Smythe in the PTS. Smythe is a traitor who has sold the plans for the British radar device to the South American country- Bond (or 'Toro'!) breaks into the luxurious rooms Smythe is being held in, but Smythe expected a British agent to come and regrets his actions. He tells Bond where the radar is and Bond grants him the opportunity to take his own life in his large aquarium (home to his pet octopussy) rather than be taken home. Bond then infiltrates the hangar to plant the bomb on the plane, is captured etc. etc.
    If I were doing a Christopher Wood-style novelisation, that's how I'd do it :D
    Or Something like the comic strip version of Octopussy.
  • The biggest missed opportunity, in my opinion, is Octopussy herself. She should have been the main antagonist, making the movie the first instalment of the series with a main female villain (or second if you count Klebb as such). It would have made the character, and the movie, more memorable for the audience and Octopussy would be remembered as the first time Bond faced a formidable female mastermind.

Fleshing out the adaptation of the short story is another major missed opportunity. It could have been a great PTS, and a good motive to make Octopussy the primary antagonist.
    The biggest missed opportunity, in my opinion, is Octopussy herself. She should have been the main antagonist, making the movie the first instalment of the series with a main female villain (or second if you count Klebb as such). It would have made the character, and the movie, more memorable for the audience and Octopussy would be remembered as the first time Bond faced a formidable female mastermind.

Fleshing out the adaptation of the short story is another major missed opportunity. It could have been a great PTS, and a good motive to make Octopussy the primary antagonist.

I don't know. I love the chemistry between Bond and Octopussy and the Batman/Catwoman aspect of the relationship. We would have lost it had she been a villain: at some point her relationship with Bond would have been purely antagonistic, like Elektra's.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    She was originally planned to be the baddie, and I think Herr S has a point that it could have been good for the films at that point to have a female villain, but then equally I just do love that moment when it turns out that she's an international criminal who is actually grateful to 007; and for it to play into the Fleming story is just really nice- I completely dig that.
    And for two of our antagonists to disagree over Bond does actually feel like it adds an extra dimension. For Bond films up to this point, this was actually quite complex plotting!
    And it's good plotting too: if this had been a continuation novel, people would be crying out for it to be adapted into a movie as it would have a much better plot than any of the other books.
  • mtm wrote: »
    And for two of our antagonists to disagree over Bond does actually feel like it adds an extra dimension. For Bond films up to this point, this was actually quite complex plotting!
    And it's good plotting too: if this had been a continuation novel, people would be crying out for it to be adapted into a movie as it would have a much better plot than any of the other books.
    This movie is a mess of a plot: the fake and real eggs are made so much of just for that to not matter. For example, why does Kahn get so riled with 007 when he shows what he thinks is the fake egg? If the egg is real enough to trick inventory, why isn't it real enough to sell and get rid of the whole stealing scheme? Wouldn't it be easier if Octopussy was selling her father's gold?
    The three-way alliance is clunky and I forget what Kahn gets out of the whole thing (money?). Now I don't doubt a continuation novel with this plot would be good, but it would require long expository passages explaining what's going on, rather than a 3 minute M scene
  • mtm wrote: »
    She was originally planned to be the baddie, and I think Herr S has a point that it could have been good for the films at that point to have a female villain.

It's really a shame that no academic has looked into the different versions of this movie's story. I wonder why Mark Edlitz didn't devote a chapter to it in his "Lost Adventures of James Bond" (but again, he didn't devote any chapter to DAF either).

The earlier drafts centred around M's death, Blofeld leading a war against the Octopussy Cult and owing a small independent state, and Octopussy herself using Tracy's death to persuade Bond to help her seem to be quite fascinating.

Regarding the antagonists, it's a shame the story didn't develop their end goal more and Kamal Khan's backstory. Once the war between NATO and the Warsaw Pact started, what would they have done next? I always assumed that Orlov was planning to take control of the USSR while Khan would have returned to his home country (since he was an exiled prince) to become the new ruler of the Afghan proxy regime backed by the Soviet Union; but again, this is never stated in the film and I think it's another missed opportunity considering such backstory would have quite close to Fleming's spirit.