Would you rather EON adapt the continuation novels OR continue to develop their own adventures?

Comments

• peterpeter Toronto
    Gavin was such a putrid actor, stagey as stagey could ever be; at least Brolin has a gruff and masculine presence. I’ll go Brolin
  • I too might have to side with Brolin on this one. Gavin in DAF might have killed the series as we know it.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    After the effect OHMSS had on the series, it's odd that EON opted for John Gavin and that UA went along with it too. No offence to Mr. Gavin, but he was a co-star at best. Taking on the lead role, especially in a Bond film could've been a disaster for all involved.
    In saying that, had James Brolin played Bond in OP I wouldn't have got to see Roger Moore in one of my favourite movies of the series. Brolin is a much better actor than Gavin, and he could've made a credible 80's - early 90's Bond.
    I can't see Brolin's Bond in a gorilla suit, or wearing a clown suit and pulling it off as well as Moore did. So, I'll go with John Gavin in DAF.
    It sounds crazy, but maybe EON saw something in screentests that suggested Gavin could succeed in the role. Who knows?
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    I really haven't seen Gavin in anything, but Brolin was pretty good in that Octopussy screentest. I look at his performance, and I feel I could spend a couple of hours with him on a globetrotting adventure.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Benny wrote: »
    After the effect OHMSS had on the series, it's odd that EON opted for John Gavin and that UA went along with it too. No offence to Mr. Gavin, but he was a co-star at best. Taking on the lead role, especially in a Bond film could've been a disaster for all involved.
    In saying that, had James Brolin played Bond in OP I wouldn't have got to see Roger Moore in one of my favourite movies of the series. Brolin is a much better actor than Gavin, and he could've made a credible 80's - early 90's Bond.
    I can't see Brolin's Bond in a gorilla suit, or wearing a clown suit and pulling it off as well as Moore did. So, I'll go with John Gavin in DAF.
    It sounds crazy, but maybe EON saw something in screentests that suggested Gavin could succeed in the role. Who knows?

I don't think they would have entertained the idea of Bond in a gorilla or clown suit for a new actor; those choices were tailored for Moore.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Having seen this, I think I'll go Brolin...

• thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    One does wonder the damage that Gavin would have done for the series. He lacks the charisma to pull off the role effectively and I doubt audiences would have given them another chance after casting him.

I would choose Brolin as well, though I don't think he's any great shakes either. The screen tests show a little bit of potential. Brolin against Connery at the box office would have been a disaster for EON so I am glad they coaxed Roger back with a substantial raise no less.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited January 7 Posts: 14,965
    007HallY wrote: »
    Having seen Brolin's screen-tests, I must say they're not bad. I don't think he was necessarily the best choice for the role, and I'm glad they got Roger back for OP in the end, but I can see why they decided to audition him.

From what I've seen of Gavin he was a forgettable actor. So Brolin it is.

I tend to agree. I don't think he was ever the most charismatic film star, but he has some sort of charming presence and I think the film would have worked with him. But Roger's clearly so much better.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    peter wrote: »
    Gavin was such a putrid actor, stagey as stagey could ever be; at least Brolin has a gruff and masculine presence. I’ll go Brolin

Agreed. Gavin's the weakest link in Psycho.

Hard to take Cubby signing him seriously, honestly.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited January 7 Posts: 2,932
    Agreed, Gavin (and Brolin, tbh) more properly belong with the also-rans (Stanley Baker, Patrick Mower, Lewis Collins, Sam Neill, Clive Owen, Cavill, among others), where you can sort of see what they were thinking but from this distance it's clear why they didn't actually go there. When it comes to it, EON have a great record of choosing the right actor for the particular iteration of Bond that they have in mind. They do know what they're doing - and that's another reason why, as Benny said, no matter who gets it we should give them the benefit of the doubt until we've seen the actual film. I hope this doesn't come back to bite me after Bond 26!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Funnily enough, after just talking about him in another thread, I actually can’t see why they wouldn’t have gone for Lewis Collins: I think he’s probably the biggest missed opportunity they’ve had. He was pretty much ideal, and at the right time. I think he’d have been better than Dalton in all honesty.
    Sam Neill would have been pretty cracking too, although perhaps not quite as well-suited.
    Good stuff! Interesting that both missed the mark. Gavin, I believe received $250,000 to sit it out. Not bad for cash for doing nothing!

Okay lets move on to another fantasy type question.

A few times Bond has travelled to America to see the sights while taking out the baddies! Lets focus on two of these occasions. This might be an unfair question but lets see if my hunch is right.

Would you rather to take in Vegas with Tiffany Case OR leave your heart in San Fran with Stacey Sutton?

In one corner a street wise female who wasn't a shrinking violet. Miss Case was comfortable dressing up or down as the mood fits. Threatens to knock teeth out, and yet seems to fit right in with 70's Las Vegas.

In the other corner, a damsel who is fighting for her family fortune, even if most of it has been lost in the fight. Stacey dresses up in a gown, has a nice home on the outskirts of town and seems to fit right in with San Fran!

Who are you having on your arm or by your side?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Miss Case is both a lovely blonde and a lovely brunette, and up until the finale (where the film lets her down a bit) proves herself to be extremely capable.

Plus she seems to be good for a laugh, too.

I'd probably want to take her out of Vegas though. Awful town.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Can I take either of them to Europe? :p
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Tiffany seems more fun and lively - I'd happily trade in some diamonds and shout Miss Case a ticket to see Kylie in Vegas!
    echo wrote: »
    peter wrote: »

Agreed. Gavin's the weakest link in Psycho.

Hard to take Cubby signing him seriously, honestly.

They hired Lazenby after all.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Definitely Tiffany. She's one great sassy and brassy redhead.
    thedove wrote: »
    Wow never thought of that @PrinceKamalKhan those films have a great deal in common.

@thedove Indeed. Also both films' scores have a track called "Bond Smells A Rat". They were also the last 2 Bond films to have Barry's 007 theme from FRWL in their scores also.

• royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    edited January 9 Posts: 4,422
    Definitely Miss Case, as she has an energy to play off with. Plus, red heads are a weakness of mine. If John Barry could score the date, even better.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Naturally my preferred choices would be to spend time with Aki at Himeji Castle or have Manuela show me around the hotel suite!

That said, given the choices here ..... Miss Case (even though I'm not a fan of Las Vegas).
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I'm not too fond of either, but as obvious as Tiffany's qualities are, so undervalued are Stacey's. She definately holds her ground in her work, is dedicated and doesn't give up. Tiffany is more the one-fabulous-evening girl, Stacey is for keepers.
    Looks like the "case" is closed here! See what I did there?

Okay lets move on to another scenario!

Bond has travelled to some unique places around the world. Some are a delight, others a curiosity. Lets see what place you would rather visit. For these two sports are symbolic and cultural events for their respective countries.

Would you rather take in bull fighting in Portugal (OHMSS)OR sumo wrestling in Japan(YOLT)?

• R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    edited January 11 Posts: 2,020
    That's a no-brainer. Besides the questionable ethics involved in bull fighting, I absolutely love sumo wrestling and Japan has always been my dream travel destination... one day, I hope.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    I'm an animal welfare advocate myself, as much as I love OHMSS (my favorite Bond film) but I'm against making animals suffer like bullfighting, I would go with the sumo wrestling in YOLT.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Sumo wrestling in Japan
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    I've seen sumo wrestling in Japan and recommend 100% to go see a tournament if you visit Japan. I can't wait to go back some day.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Lived outside Tokyo for a few years, saw sumo. Good experience.

Traveling to Lisbon this year. Campo Pequeno stadium there, official home to​ Portuguese bullfighting.

So I should seek out bullfighting. Not sure how that's managed in our 21st Century. But can give a report.

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Lived outside Tokyo for a few years, saw sumo. Good experience.

Traveling to Lisbon this year. Campo Pequeno stadium there, official home to​ Portuguese bullfighting.

So I should seek out bullfighting. Not sure how that's managed in our 21st Century. But can give a report.

Don't bother on my account, Lisbon is a fantastic city with plenty of stuff to see, no reason to jar the trip by seeing something as mideaval as that.

Sumo.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Well regardless I'll be having Portuguese beef, that's definitely on the menu.

Skewered.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQLGfFkelehZE6t8nmQ_M0fmTYa6QYZX9bDIw&usqp=CAU
    No bull about it, this was a rather lopsided would you rather!

Lets discuss the sports that Bond has shown some talent for or at least engaged in during the course of the movies.

Would you rather play golf with Goldfinger OR do some fencing with Graves?

On one hand a gentleman's sport played at a course of some renown. Your opponent will stop at nothing to win including cheating.

The other hand, a sport of a simpler time. The art of fencing goes back with a long history. Your opponent will be unleashing his full skill and strength to best you and just might succeed.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Golf with Goldfinger— at least I have a shot at winning.