Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Has there been any specific piece of any continuation novel directly lifted and put in an EON film, aside from COLONEL SUN? I mean where ether his no doubt to the source (as per CS).

I haven’t read the Gardner novels, but it’s my understanding that AVTAK lifted the horse race sequence with Bond being attacked by jockeys.
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    Has there been any specific piece of any continuation novel directly lifted and put in an EON film, aside from COLONEL SUN? I mean where ether his no doubt to the source (as per CS).
    I don't think there are any with no doubt; if the was no doubt they're be some sort of royalty right? And only Amis' estate has seen that sort of credit
    Thanks guys.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    That's three sentences, which is a good start.
    Reads like some modernist haiku to me. Pretty compelling.

More seriously, the end credits for SP suggest a connection to Colonel Sun. With the obvious notion that the torture scene is the thing.

https://www.jamesbondlifestyle.com/articles/closing-credits-spectre
    c246958b63b65f1ebf1125f48550e9b7bf8fe78e.pnj

66280f883c6c45c1f503b4f372a6de4d4108f70b.gifv

Wait, Maria Grazia Cucinotta got a thanks for SP? I guess I didn't pay attention the credits.
    P&W would always be kept, because of their ultra-vast Fleming knowledge.

I've read this before and wonder how factual it is. Knowledgable no doubt, but ultra vast knowledge? These guys are creating original scripts. Other than the basic characters, I'm not seeing a lot of Fleming in their original scripts. Which obviously leads on to Nolan. Is he blessed with ultra-vast knowledge?
  • edited January 9 Posts: 89
    I mean most of the P&W films touch on some Fleming aspects; like Skyfall is pretty clearly YOLT inspired with Bond being "dead", his melancholy, alcoholism etc. and then when Bond seems to be at his wits' end and a horrible agent, M sends him on an "impossible" job.
    There's DAD which is supposed to be Moonraker, with a villain who changed identity, became a mysterious "foreign" British businessman. And the previously named Gala Brand is frosty to Bond (pun intended), and acts as his PA almost.
    NTTD kind of just rips off a bit of YOLT with the rest; the child, the poison garden, the villain who wants to kill people for unclear reasons (or sadism)
    QOS also does have some FYEO with the Montes-Medrano subplot as well
  • Question: do we all agree that the director of BOND 26 will likely be someone who hasn't directed a Bond film before?
    Question: do we all agree that the director of BOND 26 will likely be someone who hasn't directed a Bond film before?

Logic (ie Process of Elimination) agrees. Some bad blood, some relative under-performers, some have aged out, some are now considered unacceptable.
    Question: do we all agree that the director of BOND 26 will likely be someone who hasn't directed a Bond film before?

No if Sam Mendes needs money.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited January 9 Posts: 14,983
    Wait, Maria Grazia Cucinotta got a thanks for SP? I guess I didn't pay attention the credits.

Oh yeah, I've never seen that either. I wonder what the deal is there? Did they use a bit of unused Cigar Girl dialogue or something? Or did she let Barbara sleep on her couch while they were shooting in Italy? :D

This site has a good guess at it:
    "The reason that actress Maria Grazia Cucinotta is mentioned in the credits is probably that she participated in a charity auction for SPECTRE, and possibily did other promotional work in Italy for the film. The main prize of the auction that benefiited the largest breast-cancer organisation in the USA, was a tour of the SPECTRE set in Rome, accompanied by Maria Grazia Cucinotta, and a meet and greet with Daniel Craig."

CrabKey wrote: »

I've read this before and wonder how factual it is. Knowledgable no doubt, but ultra vast knowledge? These guys are creating original scripts. Other than the basic characters, I'm not seeing a lot of Fleming in their original scripts.

There's always a liberal sprinkling of Fleming in their scripts. I'm kind of not sure how you wouldn't spot that the beginning of SF is taken from YOLT, for example. Compared with the likes of GE or TND etc. where there's absolutely zero.

The one I like is that they wanted the Austria bits of Spectre to be set in Kitzbühel, because when Fleming stayed there as a youngster, he lived with a couple of psychologists who were experts in treating siblings in competitive and destructive relationships. I think that's rather neat :)
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    edited January 9 Posts: 1,373

I've read this before and wonder how factual it is. Knowledgable no doubt, but ultra vast knowledge? These guys are creating original scripts. Other than the basic characters, I'm not seeing a lot of Fleming in their original scripts. Which obviously leads on to Nolan. Is he blessed with ultra-vast knowledge?

Yeah. As a massive Nolan fan, the man does me no wrong. Yeah, P & W do pick little bits of Fleming. They don't exactly go out in full. But they know where to look in the books to pick the bits.
  • edited January 9 Posts: 722

Yeah. As a massive Nolan fan, the man does me no wrong. Yeah, P & W do pick little bits of Fleming. They don't exactly go out in full. But they know where to look in the books to pick the bits.

Sometimes the same bits. I mean, Craig's Bond died twice.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    mtm wrote: »
    The one I like is that they wanted the Austria bits of Spectre to be set in Kitzbühel, because when Fleming stayed there as a youngster, he lived with a couple of psychologists who were experts in treating siblings in competitive and destructive relationships. I think that's rather neat:)
    Yeah, that's pretty damn good, tbf. It's like a nod to the hardcore and it adds a bit of texture without hitting you over the head with it - good one.
  • A couple of nights ago I had a dream in which I was watching the trailer of Bond 26. It had the tone of a Brosnan film but edgier. Like a mix between GE and CR. And Jeffrey Wright returned as Felix. :O
    Not gonna lie, if Bond 26 broadly had that tone I’d be quite excited. Not sure if Wright will return though!
    You’re not convinced by Lazenby? Heck I think he’s the only other Bond actor who would stand a chance against Craig in a cage match.
    No, that would be Connery.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Bond 26 needs to be a palette cleanser after the tumult of 2 very long delays post SP. It could be argued that 4 of the past 5 bond films were poignant and trying to land that sucker punch, by having various character killed off and bond reeling from the loss. I think that has been done to death, and the Bond of the 2020's calls for something with a meta-modern twist. You could argue that Connery through Dalton was the first age of Bond where even though they played around they never messed with the formula too much. The formula established in Goldfinger was like a gospel that they could tinker with but never outright reject. Then Brosnan and Craig was like the second age of Bond, where they pealed away those restrictions to the point where he cam even be killed off, which would have been unthinkable in the past. But now it feels like that angle of looking at the character has reached its natural conclusion with Bond 25, and they can't realistically push any further without it becoming comical, like trying to outdo die another day with an even bigger diamond space satellite and CGI tsunami wave. Instead they should look at the success of barbie and see how it's now possible to mold the hyperreal stylised excess of classic bond with the more dimensional drama of the Craig films, with a message that speaks to modern audiences and essentially have your cake as well as eat it. With the introduction of Craigs bond the producers made it very clear that in order to portray more real charactet and setting the Sly, winking attitude and otherworldly excesswould have to be put to bed, and while that may have been true at the time, I don't think that is true anymore as audiences have learned to accept both simultaneously and the financial success of barbenhiemer proves it. I think if there is the beginning of a trend for EON to hook onto then that is certainly one, and don't be surprised when we see an avalanche of meta-modern films from established franchises in 2025/6 similar to the multiverse craze of 2022/2023.
  • peterpeter Toronto

You’re wrong @DEKE_RIVERS , he dies three times…

CR
    SF
    NTTD

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    SF? I'd replace that with DAD.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I think our big boy Dekes was commenting on the Craig films…. I know he’s always right, so I just wanted to correct him. I’m really disappointed his streak of excellence has been broken.
    peter wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I think our big boy Dekes was commenting on the Craig films…. I know he’s always right, so I just wanted to correct him. I’m really disappointed his streak of excellence has been broken.

Ahh, my apologies. It is funny how rare "death" was for Bond in the series until the Craig era. Now, going forward, anything's possible.
    Connery's Bond YOLT death too. It was actually the first Bond film to flirt with the dying idea.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    edited January 10 Posts: 1,434
    Connery's Bond YOLT death too. It was actually the first Bond film to flirt with the dying idea.

Thunderball, with the "JB" on the opening coffin, is probably the first. We see "Bond" get strangled in FRWL. Maybe that's the first.
    Yeah I was going to mention Bond "dying" in FRWL too. That's pretty in your face and direct, even though it's not technically Bond.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    LucknFate wrote: »

Thunderball, with the "JB" on the opening coffin, is probably the first. We see "Bond" get strangled in FRWL. Maybe that's the first.

Yep, as soon as he was famous they were killing him! :)
    Yeah, that's true guys. I guess you could say that.
  • edited January 10 Posts: 722
    peter wrote: »

You’re wrong @DEKE_RIVERS , he dies three times…

CR
    SF
    NTTD

OK. 3 deaths and 2 funerals. ;)

Maybe YOLT is their favorite book.

:D
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Maybe the PTS of the next film will open with Bond in a coffin. 🤔
  • How would you guys react if EON picked the one and only James Cameron to reboot Bond between doing Avatar 3 and 4? :O