Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

I just hope they can get to work soon. If we are heading for a pattern of having to wait 5-6 years for a new film, keeping new generations interested in the series is not going to be easy...
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    I can understand the thoughts about Nolan, it does feel very now or never and if he doesn't do one it'd be a "what if" scenario for some.
    I'm easy personally, I think he's made some great films, but he can be a tad pretentious as a filmmaker.

I think Martin Campbell did a better job of rebooting Bond than Nolan could have ever done, he set up the last two eras perfectly. I think Campbell did wonderfully in modernising the series without straying too far from what Bond should be.

I can absolutely agree with this. GE and CR rank as my two favourite Bond films after all.

I wouldn't necessarily say that Nolan can't do it. I'm just not seeing him as "the lord our saviour" for the Bond series. I bet others can pull it off too.

Campbell can't save Bond either. He is old and out of touch.

Sam Mendes can do it but It's a boring choice.

@DEKE_RIVERS
    1) Why does Bond have to be "saved"?
    2) When did either @Jordo007 or myself suggest Campbell for the next Bond?

1) Why not? Action movies are dying, franchises are dying, everything is dying.
    2) I didn't say you said that.
    :D
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    jobo wrote: »
    I just hope they can get to work soon. If we are heading for a pattern of having to wait 5-6 years for a new film, keeping new generations interested in the series is not going to be easy...

If they start a steady stream of films with the new guy, I don’t think it’s an issue to have a gap between Bond 26 and NTTD, as they’re essentially different eras and will be naturally seen as separate. GE and CR certainly didn’t suffer for coming in after a lengthy hiatus after their predecessors.

If they start a steady stream of films with the new guy, I don’t think it’s an issue to have a gap between Bond 26 and NTTD, as they’re essentially different eras and will be naturally seen as separate. GE and CR certainly didn’t suffer for coming in after a lengthy hiatus after their predecessors.

The great thing about Bond is that you can have a relatively wide gap between eras and audiences would still recognise/flock to see ‘the new Bond film’ as it simply has that recognisability factor.

5-6 years between films when a new actor is in the role is a bit too much, granted (at least not without some considerable behind the scenes issues which I suppose we’ve had during the Craig era) but even then the same applies. Anyway, the big take away here is not to worry too much (as fans) about Bond’s popularity amongst younger audiences. We’re not in the Connery/Bond-mania days but from past iterations going back to the 70s we know Bond can drum up excitement.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    The Steamboat Willy fiasco might light a candle under their ass to use what they have while they still have control. I'm half joking.

I find it sad to realize we're living in an era where MANY young people have never actually seen Bond movie. They've heard of it, but never seen one.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    ToTheRight wrote: »

I find it sad to realize we're living in an era where MANY young people have never actually seen Bond movie. They've heard of it, but never seen one.

But there are 25 films. They’re all over Amazon or can be rented on any streaming service.

If a parent isn’t educating them on the life and times of James Bond, 007, then I blame them, 😂.

I think if younger people want to watch them, they can find them anywhere.
  • edited January 3 Posts: 1,708
    peter wrote: »

But there are 25 films. They’re all over Amazon or can be rented on any streaming service.

If a parent isn’t educating them on the life and times of James Bond, 007, then I blame them, 😂.

Being available and wanting to seek them out are two vey different things. I know several younger people, in their 20s, who have never seen a Bond film. I know I'm speaking in generalities but perhaps this bodes ill for Bond in that the character seems to resinate with a lot of kids in their mid to late teens who then become die hard Bond fans.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited January 3 Posts: 8,521
    delfloria wrote: »

Being available and wanting to seek them out are two vey different things. I know several younger people, in their 20s, who have never seen a Bond film. I know I'm speaking in generalities but perhaps this bodes ill for Bond in that the character seems to resinate with a lot of kids in their mid to late teens who then become die hard Bond fans.

I’m telling you: it’s up to the parents, 😂!

I did my job and started with showing my kids scenes from GE (the PTS, Aston vs Ferrari etc), GF, TSWLM, and once I had them, we explored all of them.

By the time they hit double digits I had three young fans— to one degree or another (my two girls, and my wife, only watch the Craig Era; my son loved Connery and Craig, until Spectre (he was angry after watching that one). Thankfully he gave Craig-Bond another shot with NTTD, and all has been rectified).

I’m only half joking about this…. But….. I have to believe that….

…when a new, young actor stars in the role, a younger crowd will go out and see it. And some will like it, some won’t, and a few will become lifelong 007 fans. Like every new era. Like every new film.

In 1983, it was reported 1.5 billion people have seen a James Bond film.

Forty years later, say this number has increased by what? Up to approximately 3 billion ppl have seen at least one Bond film? That’s approximately 40% of the world’s population.

Not too shabby.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited January 3 Posts: 23,559
    I think that those who have it in their DNA to become Bond fans will eventually discover our man. It's not mandatory, I sense, to expose them to the films at an early age. In fact, I dread the day when the Bond films are made for the teen crowd. Part of what I found exciting about the films, even as a (pre-)teen myself, was that they obviously weren't made for my age specifically, but I could still enjoy the hell out of them.

That said, and to make @peter very happy, my son, now 14 months old, is already being submitted to a heavy diet of Bond tunes in the house. In a few years, I'll sit the lad down for a couple of films and really start the doctrine from there. No offspring of mine will inherit my Bond collection without truly appreciating the awesomeness of it.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I think that those who have it in their DNA to become Bond fans will eventually discover our man. It's not mandatory, I sense, to expose them to the films at an early age. In fact, I dread the day when the Bond films are made for the teen crowd. Part of what I found exciting about the films, even as a (pre-)teen myself, was that they obviously weren't made for my age specifically, but I could still enjoy the hell out of them.

That said, and to make @peter very happy, my son, now 14 months old, is already being submitted to a heavy diet of Bond tunes in the house. In a few years, I'll sit the lad down for a couple of films and really start the doctrine from there. No offspring of mine will inherit my Bond collection without truly appreciating the awesomeness of it.

And @DarthDimi , if there’s any resistance, I used the methods of A Clockwork Orange: strapped to a chair, eye lids held open, and Bond films on repeat.

I swear, after eleven and a half days of this, I had little obsessed Bond fans running around the house.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

And @DarthDimi , if there’s any resistance, I used the methods of A Clockwork Orange: strapped to a chair, eye lids held open, and Bond films on repeat.

I swear, after eleven and a half days of this, I had little obsessed Bond fans running around the house.

Great advice, @peter. I also wanted to name the boy Cubby, James or Man With Bottle, but the wife wouldn't have it. 😉
  • peterpeter Toronto

Great advice, @peter. I also wanted to name the boy Cubby, James or Man With Bottle, but the wife wouldn't have it. 😉

It's a shame that our better halves always play interference when we come up with our best ideas. I can sympathize and empathize.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    You're not the only one in that position, @DarthDimi, as I also tried and failed. Maybe next time!

I agree, they certainly shouldn't make Bond films specifically for teenagers. That would be a terrible idea!

But they need to find a balance where Bond remains relevant for that afe group for a variety of reasons. They should not lose the younger generations.
    edited January 3 Posts: 1,434
    Let's just say I've been asked what my ideas for a Bond anniversary next year to some people who can communicate that up a chain, and the top of my list was a U.S. re-release of what would be Goldfinger on a wide scale.

I think it's a missed opportunity to occasionally throw them back in theaters and build up more fans and Bond families. More broadly, they could do rerelease a Bond movie each and every night up to Christmas at a theater and see what the turnout is like for one year.

Yep, you are definitely doing your part.

I think part of that problem is their availability on streaming platforms having been sporadic at best. MGM seems content to just shuffle the films across different streamers. For example, Max just recently had an influx of Bond films added to their catalog, but there’s only 12 of them.

Bond needs a permanent platform where all the films are readily available. I remember one of the biggest issues I noticed during the lead up to NTTD was that Craig’s films were not easily accessible. Especially SPECTRE, which always seems to be stuck in basic cable limbo due to licensing deals, never being available on more watched platforms like Netflix. It doesn’t help that MGM+ is trying to be a thing, how many people even bother with that streamer?

It would be in Amazon’s best interest to just put all of Bond permanently on Prime. Pay off whatever licensing deals they had, if they wanna get serious about pushing Bond back to the forefront.
    My three sons grew up on Bond films, but as adults they don't go to movies. Not even sure if they stream Bond films.

As for becoming die hard Bond fans, do those whose first Bond was Brosnan or Craig watch the original films? How likely is it a kid whose first Bond film will be Bond 26 will become a Bond fan? Does Bond go on forever or does it play out in two or three more films?
    CrabKey wrote: »
    My three sons grew up on Bond films, but as adults they don't go to movies. Not even sure if they stream Bond films.

As for becoming die hard Bond fans, do those whose first Bond was Brosnan or Craig watch the original films? How likely is it a kid whose first Bond film will be Bond 26 will become a Bond fan? Does Bond go on forever or does it play out in two or three more films?

I’m a millennial (born in 1987). My first Bond was Brosnan, as he was the incumbent 007 at the time. Admittedly, TND and TWINE were my first two Bond films, but they did not make me want to watch more Bond when I saw them. However, when I finally did catch GE on rental (as well as play the video game), that actually made me want to watch more of the films however I can on cable or rental.

If Eon makes Bond 26 so good that it makes new fans wanting to look back at older films, then they have done their job.
    Never occurred to me that new Bond fans would not immediately seek out all the other films.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    edited January 4 Posts: 1,373
    I'm a Brosnan's Bond debut fan too. Immediately, I saw his first two films, I started looking for the rest. Nobody had to tell me. It was that simple. I mean...as a kid, why shouldn't those flashy Bond films make me want to see more Bond films? Because I didn't enjoy action films as a kid, because of the plot. It's only as an adult that I got to see some flaws in Brosnan's era, after going back to watch the earlier Bond films. But even at that, for memory sake, I still love Brosnan's Bond.
  • Yeah Brosnan was the introduction for me as well. I’m fact I remember watching Moonraker for the first time and being quite bothered by the fact that Bond didn’t look like Brosnan haha.
  • TheSkyfallen06TheSkyfallen06 Buenos Aires, Argentina.
    edited January 4 Posts: 989
    Most people who are more-or-less casual fans saw the Craig films first and don't even know there were twenty films and five Bonds prior to him. They think Dan is the only one.
    Never occurred to me that new Bond fans would not immediately seek out all the other films.

For me, I knew of a couple Brosnan movies as a young kid and then I went to a video store and saw the wall of them, and got mad at my parents for withholding this information from me. Life changed right there. I remember finally googling "james bond" and discovering it all, a good day.
    Most people who are more-or-less casual fans saw the Craig films first and don't even know there were twenty films and five Bonds prior to him. They think Dan is the only one.

Not 'most people', but some, yes.

I guess the share ammount of films can feel intimidating to some. It's easier to go through a five film series than one containing 25 installments. Where to begin?

Additionaly it doesn't help that many of the older films get a lot of flack (most of it undeserved, some deserved) in these PC times. The older films don't have the reputation among younger generations they once had.

I guess the share ammount of films can feel intimidating to some. It's easier to go through a five film series than one containing 25 installments. Where to begin?

Additionaly it doesn't help that many of the older films get a lot of flack (most of it undeserved, some deserved) in these PC times. The older films don't have the reputation among younger generations they once had.

Star Wars is an old movie now.

• peterpeter Toronto

Star Wars is an old movie now.

Superman was the Man of Steel.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    Yeah Brosnan was the introduction for me as well. I’m fact I remember watching Moonraker for the first time and being quite bothered by the fact that Bond didn’t look like Brosnan haha.

Lol. Yeah. Although, I thought Roger looked like Pierce....even if I knew it wasn't Pierce.

I think that’s more the general population of movie viewers than casual fans. I’ll bet you that when the next guy comes in there will be the newer generation of viewers oblivious to Craig Bond.

I remember in high school a lot of kids my age knew who Sean Connery was but they didn’t know he was Bond, they only ever knew him as the old movie star from the 90s that was in movies like THE ROCK.