Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• peterpeter Toronto
    I definitely think Callum's growing into his looks, turning from young man into an adult man.

He has presence and a strong voice (and he has an air of likeability).

If they went with him, I'd have zero problem, and, in fact, I'd definitely be interested and curious to see what he'd bring to the role (whereas I have zero interest, or curiosity, in seeing what an ATJ would offer (but I'd still be at those films upon first day of release)).
  • Even the ATJ detractors have to admit that he is channeling pure, unfiltered, 100% Bond in this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/cU2_KAiUMIs
  • Denbigh wrote: »
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Going back to Callum Turner quickly. Just wanted to say that I'm really intigued to see him in Masters of the Air.

https%3A%2F%2Fwww.manners.nl%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2023%2F10%2FMastersOfTheAir_102_90955F-1.jpg
    c393eefa7a33d23e1088fd758df5051d384efd01.jpg
    Continuing on the Callum Turner train, I still think he's worth of screentest and he's got such an interesting look that I feel with the required training he'd look even more suited to the role.

231213_V_MAN_02_060_Digital-1577x2048.jpg
    231213_V_MAN_01_070_Digital.jpg

It looks like you're alone on that train @Denbigh. I'll join you for the journey and say while he's not someone I'd choose, I do agree that he has an interesting look.

While he's not my top contender, I would be happy to join the Callum Turner train nonetheless. He grew on me and, as opposed to other actors I may prefer, he's young, meaning he will always be worth a screentest when Bond 26 will start pre-production (as opposed to let's say Aidan Turner or Jamie Dornan). With Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Jack Lowden, he may be one of the most credible contenders. I still have a soft spot for Sam Claflin but, as he's 37 now, he may already be too old.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    How is Sope pronounced? Is it like soap?

It's a Nigerian name and it's one of my many middle names. It's pronounced Shocgkpeh. The cgk part is pronounced softly.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Even the ATJ detractors have to admit that he is channeling pure, unfiltered, 100% Bond in this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/cU2_KAiUMIs

Hmmm, I see a cartel member ;) It does benefit from his not speaking a word
  • Agent0099Agent0099 Milford, Michigan
    I've only seen Callum Turner in the fantastic beasts films and despite having a great look to him found him quite dull and flat, But perhaps it mostly was due to the writing.
    Evaluating an actor is a tricky thing; still photos are one of the least helpful as they frequently don’t do an actor’s potential justice. I tend to seek out 3 sources to help me form an opinion, initially, photos, then performances and ultimately interviews.

Judging C. Turner on those three, In photos I’m generally unimpressed ; there is a weakness to his eyes. His performances, which I haven’t seen many, elevate him a bit, while interviews help to lift a bit higher.

Based on photos alone I would have said pass; add the other two , performance and interview, I would say give him a screentest.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    talos7 wrote: »
    I’m not in the train either but will say that in interviews I find him to be impressive. While generally not a fan of his look that shot of him in the aviator gear shows a glimmer of potential. It that an outlier or is he improving with age?

That aviator photo is from some of this latest work, so good signs. I could buy a ticket for this train. Should watch him something.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Just found these photos of Callum from behind the scenes of The Boys In The Boat and they remind me of how much an old school look he has…

GCSfYoXW0AArGIZ?format=jpg&name=medium
    GCSfYoZXEAAS_1a?format=jpg&name=medium
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    Looks a lot like Steve McQueen in these.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Those pics are probably the most convincing of Turner as a potential Bond. He's not my choice but he's definitely worth a screentest
  • Looks a lot like Steve McQueen in these.

With Belmondo's nose.
  • edited December 2023 Posts: 303
    Going back to Callum Turner quickly. Just wanted to say that I'm really intigued to see him in Masters of the Air.

https%3A%2F%2Fwww.manners.nl%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2023%2F10%2FMastersOfTheAir_102_90955F-1.jpg
    c393eefa7a33d23e1088fd758df5051d384efd01.jpg
    Continuing on the Callum Turner train, I still think he's worth of screentest and he's got such an interesting look that I feel with the required training he'd look even more suited to the role.

231213_V_MAN_02_060_Digital-1577x2048.jpg
    231213_V_MAN_01_070_Digital.jpg

The photos in the RAF type clothes look okay as a possible guide to how Turner may look as a possible Bond but with respect, the other photos don't sell Bond at all. Bond is supposed to have cruel good looks (which sounds a bit paradoxical given that handsome features rarely seem cruel) but Fleming liked a colourful phrase and this chap ain't cruel looking. To be fair, I doubt many good looking men are regarded as cruel looking but Turner doesn't have any hint of menace to his features. And in the first photo above he appears to be wearing a badly-fitting coat. ;))

Thunderball:
    "The girl looked him up and down. He had dark, rather cruel good looks and very clear, blue-grey eyes. He was wearing a very dark-blue lightweight single-breasted suit over a cream silk shirt and a black knitted silk tie. Despite the heat, he looked cool and clean. 'And who might you be?' she asked sharply. 'My name's Bond, James Bond ...'"

I have been watching the second series of Vigil on BBC and there is one chap who has a very interesting look. Oscar Salem. 6 ft 2 British and I believe 30 years old. He had a medium role in it so not yet had a breakout but definitely has an interesting look and reasonable charisma. I am not good at sharing pictures on here if someone else can...
    TFC1 wrote: »
    I have been watching the second series of Vigil on BBC and there is one chap who has a very interesting look. Oscar Salem. 6 ft 2 British and I believe 30 years old. He had a medium role in it so not yet had a breakout but definitely has an interesting look and reasonable charisma. I am not good at sharing pictures on here if someone else can...

VIGIL2_CS45_MM_25052023_0325-1-700x469.jpg
    VIGIL2_CS45_MM_25052023_0491-1-700x469.jpg
    Oscar-Salem.jpg
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    TFC1 wrote: »

VIGIL2_CS45_MM_25052023_0325-1-700x469.jpg
    VIGIL2_CS45_MM_25052023_0491-1-700x469.jpg
    Oscar-Salem.jpg

Thanks. That's the chap. I think he definitely has a good look but as I say not a huge amount of exposure yet.
    He's a good shout mate, he's got a strong look. I haven't seen the second series of Vigil but he probably needs a few more jobs on his C.V to be considered just yet but time is on his side
    He's got the look, if a bit soft looking. He's just not a veteran yet. Worth an audition I'd say.
    I’m not familiar with his work. Those top two photos don’t do him any favors; he comes off better in others . I generally like to seek out interviews to get a feel for personality and voice; I haven’t been able to find any of him.
    talos7 wrote: »
    I’m not familiar with his work. Those top two photos don’t do him any favors; he comes off better in others . I generally like to seek out interviews to get a feel for personality and voice; I haven’t been able to find any of him.

Me neither. Very obscure actor.
  • Speaking of obscure actors with a Bond look, does anybody know who this is pointing a gun at 0:55 in the teaser trailer for Slow Horses season 4?

• Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Paul Giamatti Wants To Play A Bond Villain And Has Two Requests For The Role
    https://www.slashfilm.com/1477054/paul-giamatti-james-bond-villain-role-wishlist/

"I'd want an accent of some kind. I'd definitely want an accent. It'd be nice to have an animal with me of some kind. Not necessarily a cat, but something. Any animal, maybe. Not a parrot or something. Something real. I don't know. An accent, though, of some kind I'd have to have. A guy who's all in fur coats and stuff like that? Be great."
  • TheSkyfallen06TheSkyfallen06 Buenos Aires, Argentina.
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    https://www.slashfilm.com/1477054/paul-giamatti-james-bond-villain-role-wishlist/

"I'd want an accent of some kind. I'd definitely want an accent. It'd be nice to have an animal with me of some kind. Not necessarily a cat, but something. Any animal, maybe. Not a parrot or something. Something real. I don't know. An accent, though, of some kind I'd have to have. A guy who's all in fur coats and stuff like that? Be great."

I guess it's time for David Dragonpol to shine!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Giamatti is brilliant (watch this year's The Holdovers if you've yet to) and I've no doubts that he'd fully nail a Bond villain role.
    Red_Snow wrote: »

Wrong thread. I like Giamatti, but I think he's too famous and his face too everyman looking for a Bond villain.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I’m still on the Nicholas Hoult and Sope Dirisu train.
    Suter, Hoult, Lowden, but open minded to new suggestions
  • edited December 2023 Posts: 14,831
    So far none of the actors mentioned completely convince me. Even those I brought forward myself.
  • I could be Bond.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    So far none of the actors mentioned completely convince me. Even those I brought forward myself.

Well absolutely, much of what they’re being assessed on at this point is somewhat superficial. Ultimately, from informal meetings to screentest , that is why there is a vigorous vetting process. I readily admit that , upon doing a screentest, it’s possible that my , fluid, top 3 candidates may be viewed as completely unsuitable,