Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

Creasy47 wrote: »
    I'm very jealous of those who got so much out of Dead Reckoning. I wanted to love it so much.

It's a unique feeling, isn't it? I've had it with both Bond and this series quite a few times. Of course, it's always better when you're on the side of loving something.

Absolutely - sometimes I get annoyed when I can't look past my misgivings with something. Life is always better when you like things!

Too right, my friend. That's how I felt with SF and why I ended up paying to see it five times in theaters, convinced I was missing something, that it'd finally "click" for me on a viewing, but it never did, even 11 years later. It's definitely annoying when that happens.

You're not alone @Creasy47 , I still cant figure out what I'm missing about SF!
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    I'm very jealous of those who got so much out of Dead Reckoning. I wanted to love it so much.

It's a unique feeling, isn't it? I've had it with both Bond and this series quite a few times. Of course, it's always better when you're on the side of loving something.

Absolutely - sometimes I get annoyed when I can't look past my misgivings with something. Life is always better when you like things!

Too right, my friend. That's how I felt with SF and why I ended up paying to see it five times in theaters, convinced I was missing something, that it'd finally "click" for me on a viewing, but it never did, even 11 years later. It's definitely annoying when that happens.

You're not alone @Creasy47 , I still cant figure out what I'm missing about SF!

I’m like this with The Batman.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes, I'm with you there. It has good texture and tone to it and I want to keep watching it whenever I try, but then it just keeps going and becomes really boring.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I keep having that frustrating feeling with the first M:I film. It's a good film that stays closest to the TV series. For those who don't like the stunts/action cocktail of the modern M:I films, it's probably the best in the series. Yet even when I try to look at the film that way, I'm still taken aback by how messy it is.

Phelps's betrayal comes off as something that should get the fans of the TV series very angry. Elfman's score is upsettingly boring. E. Béart feels wrong for this movie, but then so does Reno. The opening heist, ft. Emilio and Kristin ST, can't get me interested whatsoever. The 'Job' thing feels hilariously tech-stupid, even for the times. The only parts of the film that keep me going are Vanessa Redgrave, the Langley scenes and the train fight. Other than that, this film is to the M:I series what the CR TV play is to the Bond series, IMO. It's always the one to sit through (along with M:I II, but for totally different reasons) before the good ones come.

Many here seem to think the world of this first film. I wish I was one of them. But having seen this film close to 25 times now (almost once every year), it keeps frustrating me how I'm not "getting" it, apparently. To me, the film looks almost objectively speaking inferior to most of the others.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I disagree with that completely, not least on the score front: I love that score.
    It just doesn't have the energy that I want out of a M:I score, to be honest. The percussion annoys me, the violins play too weak, and the sore lack of Lalo is a big no-no for me. I often "marathon" the M:I scores in my car. Elfman's is the one I have to plow through to get to the very uneven Zimmer score. From there on, it's party time. ;-)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    There's a couple of really big hits of Lalo? Which work very well in the film.
    And I think his version of the title theme is yet to be bettered.

And I think if you don't like bongos then MI scores might not be for you! :) And Betrayal is right up there with being one of the best tracks in the whole series for my money.
    mtm wrote: »
    There's a couple of really big hits of Lalo? Which work very well in the film.
    And I think his version of the title theme is yet to be bettered.

And I think if you don't like bongos then MI scores might not be for you! :) And Betrayal is right up there with being one of the best tracks in the whole series for my money.

MI scores are very much for me, though. I adore the scores of all the films from 3 to 7. Bongos aren't a problem at all. It's just that Elfman doesn't do it for me in some cases. M:I and Batman Returns are two examples.

I'm not really impressed by his M:I theme either. It's not bad, just a bit dull. I don't hate this score. It's just not very good at getting me excited, just like the rest of the film.

There was a time when I came very close to calling M:I II the better of these two. I then realized that where one wasn't giving me enough, the other was trying too hard. Not until 3 did I find the proper balance that 4, 5, 6, and 7 have maintained.

Again, I wish that the first film could have gotten me excited in '96, but, alas, it didn't. I never disliked it, but I never "loved" the film either.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited November 2023 Posts: 14,961
    The theme is dull? I can't see that at all, it's the only one which really thumps for my money. The recent Balfe efforts are fine if you like that sort of thing but I'm not a fan of that style. Zimmer's was horrible; Giacchinno's were slightly under-powered and then relaxed and loungy respectively; and Kraemer's is not bad but lacking something- it needs an extra level of instrumentation or something. It's very similar to Elfman's in fact but less so.
    Do any of them work for you?
    The theme is dull? I can't see that at all, it's the only one which really thumps for my money. The recent Balfe efforts are fine if you like that sort of thing but I'm not a fan of that style. Zimmer's was horrible; Giacchinno's were slightly under-powered and then relaxed and loungy respectively; and Kraemer's is not bad but lacking something- it needs an extra level of instrumentation or something. It's very similar to Elfman's in fact but less so.
    Do any of them work for you?

All of them, as a matter of fact, except Zimmer's. I don't know what he was thinking but that sensory overload of guitars and such ruins the theme completely for me. I don't think that Zimmer today would agree with his work on M:I II.

So I guess we agree on Zimmer and mostly disagree on the rest.

I am also aware that my thoughts on Elfman aren't popular. The man is universally revered while I am not his biggest fan. It happens that people have different tastes, and mine include a few but definitely not most of his scores. His M:I score doesn't thrill me, I'm sorry to say. And I'm not going to try to put that in objective terms. I'm smart enough to realize that taste is something that cannot be debated. That I have M:I and its score on the lower end of my ranking is not something I feel ashamed about. I merely regret not liking either more. But try as I might -- and I have for over a quarter of a century now! -- I just can't enjoy them as much as I do the other ones bar M:I II.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited November 2023 Posts: 23,376

Still my favorite version, an excellent album also.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York

I imagine me and you are in similar boats; love QoS, don't get SF (until the end, which I enjoy). However, also love M:I in general, didn't quite click with DR.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited November 2023 Posts: 14,961

That's better than the one in the TV series for my money, yeah; very nice.

Elfman's the ultimate for me in terms of a bigger, movie-sized version.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I am also aware that my thoughts on Elfman aren't popular. The man is universally revered while I am not his biggest fan.

Well I'm not exactly revering him, I'm just saying I like this particular score! :)
    I'm smart enough to realize that taste is something that cannot be debated.

Ouch. Okay fine.

That's better than the one in the TV series for my money, yeah; very nice.

Elfman's the ultimate for me in terms of a bigger, movie-sized version.
    I am also aware that my thoughts on Elfman aren't popular. The man is universally revered while I am not his biggest fan.

Well I'm not exactly revering him, I'm just saying I like this particular score! :)
    I'm smart enough to realize that taste is something that cannot be debated.

Ouch. Okay fine.

Just a humble statement, no attack intended. I meant that I don't want to build a case to convince others. I know that my opinion is not popular and I humbly accept that.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited November 2023 Posts: 23,376
    patb wrote: »

I stumbled on that video last night, did not watch all of it though the reviewer seemed to be a fan of DRpt1.

DRpt1 is a good film though I agree Fallout is better.

• The thing that the above reviewer does not take into account is that the movie was shot during covid.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    I watched the Bluray of Dead Reckoning and the sound in my Home Cinema blew me away. It somehow was a better cinema feeling than usual. Especially the beat during the Venice party was perfect. Does this movie have a better "sound mix" (is thus the right word??) than most of the others? I was never happier with my loudspeakers. Don't know why.

Loved the movie again but I realized that I shouldn't give the plot too much thought. Several plot decision only seem to be there that we can get a specific action moment. I know, the same is true in many Bond movies but it felt even more obvious here.
    Anyway, I'm happy that we get at least one more M:I film.

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Anyone seen this?

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Wow, had no clue they were back to filming. I figured it was a given but I've seen nothing post-strikes. Thanks for sharing!
    This makes me very happy. I can't wait for the sequel to drop. Seriously. May be my most anticipated film for the next couple of years.

This, and Terrifier 3. ;-)
    Definitely my most anticipated film coming over the next two years or so too.

I still need to check out the Terrifier films, see what all the fuss is about. I hear they're unforgivingly, brutally violent, which is right up my alley.

I still need to check out the Terrifier films, see what all the fuss is about. I hear they're unforgivingly, brutally violent, which is right up my alley.

Same can't wait for dead reckoning part 2 wish it didn't get pushed back to 2025.

Same can't wait for dead reckoning part 2 wish it didn't get pushed back to 2025.

You and I both, but I'll happily keep patient if it means they get even more time to deliver the best film possible.
    Good to see they are back filming MI8.An absolutely terrific series of films that are far and away better than anything Bond has done in years.

Shame that Dead Reckoning underperformed at the box office.Fantastic film that was unfortunately released right into the Barbenheimer craze.Let’s hope the next Mission is more of a hit.

Can we talk spoilers for Dead Reckoning pt1 here? Cos if so ,here’s a question…

Is Ilsa really dead? I hope she is.I liked her but it would be really lame if they brought her back Fast And Furious style.Her death should mean something.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Even if we can talk about spoilers, I'd still spoiler tag them out of courtesy to others.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I enjoyed Dead Reckoning very much , but there was something a touch off compared to some of the better earlier entries. Without a doubt complication caused by the complexities of working around COVID restrictions has an effect. I’m hoping for a return to form for MI:8
    I got the 4K as a Christmas gift, rewatched it that very same day, and can now comfortably say it's my favorite in the series. It had a host of misfortunes, both from COVID and then the horrible timing of its release, but that's not a knock against the film and I am still stupidly excited to see what the next one (whatever title they give it) holds.
    Dead Reckoning is a rare modern example of writing good female characters.Rebecca Ferguson,Vanessa Kirby,Hayley Atwell,and Pom Klementieff are all great in it and really add to the story.There is no ridiculous girlboss stuff really ( Both Ferguson and Klementieff are beaten by the villain and Atwells character,while able to hold her own in a fight,relies on Hunt to save her).