Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    bondywondy wrote: »
    I wonder if the next Bond actor will be cast from the 007: Road To A Million tv game show? Maybe Babs might like one of the candidates:

It would be easier to just cast Gregg as Bond. Barbara could play M, and Michale G. the villain.

Nah, Babs is definitely the villain. At least according to some of the people here...
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    I wonder if the next Bond actor will be cast from the 007: Road To A Million tv game show? Maybe Babs might like one of the candidates:

It would be easier to just cast Gregg as Bond. Barbara could play M, and Michale G. the villain.

Nah, Babs is definitely the villain. At least according to some of the people here...

Plus, Wilson has already played a few, at least casually complicit, villains in the franchise. Give someone else a shot finally.
    LucknFate wrote: »

Plus, Wilson has already played a few, at least casually complicit, villains in the franchise. Give someone else a shot finally.

That's true actually. I'd momentarily forgotten that.
    It's funny, when I first saw the 007: Road to a Million trailer on youtube, it seemed to have way too many views for only being on there for one day. Then I realized with Brian Cox in the thumbnail looking all villian-y and with the title, a lot of people probably clicked on it thinking it was a trailer for a new Bond film. That's what it looked like. I think it was intentional too. And then I found out today Brian Cox himself actually thought the same thing:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/brian-cox-joined-007-road-to-a-million-next-james-bond-movie-1235640137/
    When Brian Cox joined the new reality competition series 007: Road to a Million, he admitted that he thought he signed up for something a little different.

During Tuesday’s episode of The Tonight Show, the Succession star told host Jimmy Fallon, “I thought it was the new James Bond film.”

“So I said, ‘Oh, finally they’re getting me in a James Bond movie,” he continued. “I thought, ‘Yes, of course!’

But to Cox’s disappointment, he quickly learned that “there was no script and there was no James Bond movie.” He added, “For years, I thought, you know I would love to be in James Bond. It would be really interesting. And I thought this was my moment, but it wasn’t.” Instead, he played the game controller and orchestrated the series’ challenges in 007: Road to a Million.

Poor guy. Get him in the next movie as the villian.

I think someone said this ages ago, but perhaps this explains the weird Rebel Wilson story a while back about her auditioning. It’s easier to understand she may have been under a misapprehension/may have been considered for this show.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited November 2023 Posts: 5,869
    I’m still not opposed to Callum Turner for a screentest. He’s gonna be appearing in the upcoming Masters of the Air for AppleTV+

Denbigh wrote: »
    I’m still not opposed to Callum Turner for a screentest. He’s gonna be appearing in the upcoming Masters of the Air for AppleTV+

He's been my top choice for a while. My only worry is he might look young but that's the case with most of the choices here.
  • edited November 2023 Posts: 2,943
    Gotta say, the cast of Masters of the Air looks pretty wide ranging. There’s even a Spielberg and Serkis in there (and yes, they’re the children of exactly who you’re thinking of).

I’m not sure if I’m seeing any potential Bonds in there, but maybe a handful of potential younger villains and henchman. Not sold on Turner personally.
    M_Blaise wrote: »

He's been my top choice for a while. My only worry is he might look young but that's the case with most of the choices here.

Don't worry. He'll look old by the time they start filming. ;)
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    "But she does hint that whoever the next Bond is, it won't be an unknown and untested screen novice.

"We're totally open to casting a non-star," Broccoli notes. "But acting is a very specialized profession, and if somebody has to carry a movie and have the range of requirements [for Bond] in terms of physicality, it's not going to be someone who has never done it before. It would be sort of irresponsible to do that. But we'd certainly be open to a non-star."

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/james-bond-barbara-broccoli-007-ai-road-to-a-million-brian-cox-234847661.html
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    “ Non-star” covers a lot of territory stardom is a spectrum. The next actor will not be a superstar but will be a recognizable actor
    So the next Bond actor will in fact be… an actor.

Makes sense.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    007HallY wrote: »
    kt0sGSE.gif

Makes sense.

Exhibit A: George Lazenby.

Makes sense.

Yes, to use Babs’ phrase it’d be irresponsible to try and get another Lazenby!

Makes sense.

Yes, to use Babs’ phrase it’d be irresponsible to try and get another Lazenby!

No, I don't think they're in any rush to get another Lazenby.
  • This is great news.
    It's not like they cast a star before, except Roger Moore, but the circumstances were very different.
  • edited November 2023 Posts: 2,943
    I guess even Rog was more a tv star than a film one. Guess Brosnan fits into that category too. In those days there was more of a difference.

I mean, I’m betting we’ll be getting a relatively established character actor. Not A-list famous, but someone who’s been in some relatively high profile film/tv (not necessarily as the lead). So pretty much the norm for most new Bonds, and more or less in line with the sort of actors we’ve been speculating about on here. I don’t think we’re gonna get someone fresh out of the theatre who hasn’t done film/tv before, nor do I think we’re getting an A-lister. Again no surprises there.
    They have never cast an actor who has “carried” a major motion picture; each actor, with the obvious exception of Lazenby, was successful and had achieved a certain amount of success but none were box office draws. I believe the next 007 will have a similar pedigree.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    Ludovico wrote: »
    It's not like they cast a star before, except Roger Moore, but the circumstances were very different.
    I think the circumstances are always different. They could cast a star if they felt the situation warranted it. We just don’t know what they’re thinking.
    Even if not him, a Nicholas Hoult level star is as far as they will go.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    edited November 2023 Posts: 2,517
    James Bond deserves and requires the anonymity of the lead actor to a degree, you don't want to be watching Bond waiting for the actor to do "their signature bit" similar to Christoph Waltz as Blofeld, Spectre fell into the trap of having Waltz rather than Blofeld.

The delicate balance is finding a talented actor able to carry a huge series like Bond, but not be famous or an obvious choice.

I don't envy the massive task, although I do trust EON's judgement
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I posted this last year and my thoughts haven't changed. These are still my top 5 picks in no particular order.

XvcbXAD.jpeg

1. Sam Claflin
    2. Callum Turner
    3. Aaron Taylor-Johnson
    4. Sean Teale
    5. Sope Dirisu
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    100%
    I guess even Rog was more a tv star than a film one. Guess Brosnan fits into that category too. In those days there was more of a difference.

I mean, I’m betting we’ll be getting a relatively established character actor. Not A-list famous, but someone who’s been in some relatively high profile film/tv (not necessarily as the lead). So pretty much the norm for most new Bonds, and more or less in line with the sort of actors we’ve been speculating about on here. I don’t think we’re gonna get someone fresh out of the theatre who hasn’t done film/tv before, nor do I think we’re getting an A-lister. Again no surprises there.

Yes, there's also this difference: back then a TV star was a deemed a "lesser" star. Even now I'd say a true "famous" actor has to make it to the movies.
    Ludovico wrote: »

Yes, there's also this difference: back then a TV star was a deemed a "lesser" star. Even now I'd say a true "famous" actor has to make it to the movies.

True. They generally have to make it in bigger movies too (ie. In MCU or bigger franchise films). So in those terms we’re not going to get a ‘star’ taking the role.

I think we’ve likely mentioned the next Bond actor somewhere in this thread, and even if we haven’t we likely will do in the coming months. It won’t be as much a surprise in this way, even with the odd funny in hindsight comment about their chin, height or voice or whatever.
  • edited November 2023 Posts: 303
    "But she does hint that whoever the next Bond is, it won't be an unknown and untested screen novice.

"We're totally open to casting a non-star," Broccoli notes. "But acting is a very specialized profession, and if somebody has to carry a movie and have the range of requirements [for Bond] in terms of physicality, it's not going to be someone who has never done it before. It would be sort of irresponsible to do that. But we'd certainly be open to a non-star."

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/james-bond-barbara-broccoli-007-ai-road-to-a-million-brian-cox-234847661.html

Interesting comments. I suppose a non-star would be an actor doing theatre work or small independent films. Daniel Craig had done tv and Layer Cake certainly raised his profile but he wasn't regarded as a star. Given the ubiquitous nature of streaming channels - Netflix wasn't a streaming service when Daniel Craig was cast in 2005 - it's possible the next Bond actor has appeared or will appear on a streaming TV show or a straight to streaming film. There's also the possibility Amazon may cast the potential next Bond in one their TV shows or films and that helps him get the part. Amazon could recommend an actor to Eon, perhaps.

Interesting comments. I suppose a non-star would be an actor doing theatre work or small independent films. Daniel Craig had done tv and Layer Cake certainly raised his profile but he wasn't regarded as a star. Given the ubiquitous nature of streaming channels - Netflix wasn't a streaming service when Daniel Craig was cast in 2005 - it's possible the next Bond actor has appeared or will appear on a streaming TV show or a straight to streaming film. There's also the possibility Amazon may cast the potential next Bond in one their TV shows or films and that helps him get the part. Amazon could recommend an actor to Eon, perhaps.

Better get through a lot of streaming content with UK actors.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    I posted this last year and my thoughts haven't changed. These are still my top 5 picks in no particular order.

XvcbXAD.jpeg

1. Sam Claflin
    2. Callum Turner
    3. Aaron Taylor-Johnson
    4. Sean Teale
    5. Sope Dirisu
    100%
    It’s a good list. I would like to see Sean Teale in something Bond-like, I haven’t seen him really make his mark in anything, and I still can’t find that sci-fi series he did.

• DenbighDenbigh UK

XvcbXAD.jpeg

1. Sam Claflin
    2. Callum Turner
    3. Aaron Taylor-Johnson
    4. Sean Teale
    5. Sope Dirisu
    100%
    It’s a good list. I would like to see Sean Teale in something Bond-like, I haven’t seen him really make his mark in anything, and I still can’t find that sci-fi series he did.
    Thanks, and yeah out of the five, he's probably the least likely because I doubt he's even on EON's radar. I mean I've only known of him for a while because of when he was on Skins although since then he hasn't done much to really stand out, but even with all that, I think he has a great look and enough talent as an actor to pull it off if given the chance.
    I just watched The Killer and don’t quite know how I feel about it. Damn , I don’t care about his age, Fassbender would make a great Bond; sign him and make a trilogy over a 10 year period.