Why ??!!...The whinging,moaning,complaining,ranting,letting off steam thread !!

Comments

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I know I am younger than most of you, but the body is starting to break down. I think I have been to some kind of doctor's office in 6 out of the last 8 weeks. The newest thing is backpain. My doctor assures my that it's only muscular and will pass with warmth and careful movement and then kept at bay with appropriate exercise, but I am quite fearful that this is the start of a chronic problem.
    And all of that while I had originally planned to take competitive sport more seriously. I have started fencing as an adult beginner two years ago and actually wanted to give it a good go this season. One of my coaches is over-60s World and European Champion and while World Champion not really a realistic goal for me, it's pretty cool and inspiring to have a robust competition structure for older athletes. Since the start of summer preparations, I have twisted my ankle (still not fully healed out..), had two different colds, had to undergo two different tooth treatments, a bike accident and now the back situation. It's really, really frustrating.
    The underlying issue though is that while I am telling myself that I want to take the sport seriously, I am still overweight. And I can't seem to get the weight down, because I can't seem to get out of my own head and just stick to a regular, healthy diet instead of "rewarding myself" every three days...

Anyway, that's my monthly moan. The back is ok enough that I can get back to work and hopefully back to training next week. We'll see..

Cool you took up fencing! I loved the sport! Don't worry, this is all just part of the process of going from a hardly-moving state to a more sporty state of beeing. Don't worry about the diet either, it all needs time. You're just starting out a bit clumsy. Most people do after not doing much sport for a prolonged period.
    I lost my job four hours into my first day because my shirt was untucked…. I am beyond depressed about this turn of events as being unemployed again is making me not only question my life choices but my life in general like am i really good for anything… or for anyone…

Before people assume i am suicidal i drove my wife to work so obviously i wont do anything drastic since i have to pick her up at 5:20 but still vastly upset
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Risico007 wrote: »
    I lost my job four hours into my first day because my shirt was untucked…. I am beyond depressed about this turn of events as being unemployed again is making me not only question my life choices but my life in general like am i really good for anything… or for anyone…

Before people assume i am suicidal i drove my wife to work so obviously i wont do anything drastic since i have to pick her up at 5:20 but still vastly upset

An untucked shirt? Can they fire someone on the first day over an untucked shirt? What crappy employer does that??

Anyway, I truly hope you find something new fast, @Risico007!
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited October 2023 Posts: 2,928
    An untucked shirt? Huh?! What the actual...? That's absolutely ridiculous. But you know what? I know it won't feel like it now, but you've just dodged a bullet, Risico007. You'd've been so miserable working for people like that, that it would've infected the rest of your life after a while. I had jobs like that when I was younger and it just isn't worth carrying that level of pervasive misery - it seeps into and ruins everything else. It may take a while to see it, but these idiots have genuinely done you a favour. Hopefully, you're now free to get something far more suitable. Hope that happens soon, mate.
    That is outrageous, and definitely that place was not for you or anyone with a remotely balanced view. I hope you rebound fast and find something great! I’m still far from having found a job I truly like, but never had an experience that awful. Best of luck!
  • edited October 2023 Posts: 14,831
    Venutius wrote: »
    An untucked shirt? Huh?! What the actual...? That's absolutely ridiculous. But you know what? I know it won't feel like it now, but you've just dodged a bullet, Risico007. You'd've been so miserable working for people like that, that it would've infected the rest of your life after a while. I had jobs like that when I was younger and it just isn't worth carrying that level of pervasive misery - it seeps into and ruins everything else. It may take a while to see it, but these idiots have genuinely done you a favour. Hopefully, you're now free to get something far more suitable. Hope that happens soon, mate.

I agree. You dodged a bullet @Risico007

I've been told off in the past for dress code at work. It's never pleasant, but even my most unpleasant employer would not have fired me for something like that.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Ludovico wrote: »

I agree. You dodged a bullet @Risico007

I've been told off in the past for dress code at work. It's never pleasant, but even my most unpleasant employer would not have fired me for something like that.

Absolutely. What utter nonsense. My shirts have come untucked plenty of times, usually because I was working hard. But indeed, it shows a lot about them, not about you.
    I've got post-Halloween blues.

This sadly happens to me every year. October is my favorite month and Halloween my favorite day, so I get very sad knowing how I have to wait a long time to get back to it. November’s still one of the better months, but I just love October so much.
    FoxRox wrote: »

This sadly happens to me every year. October is my favorite month and Halloween my favorite day, so I get very sad knowing how I have to wait a long time to get back to it. November’s still one of the better months, but I just love October so much.

Yes I learned to enjoy November. It's still autumn, for one. But the first few days after Halloween are rough. Oh well, there's Noirvember at least.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited November 2023 Posts: 8,696
    I had never heard of Halloween before coming to the U.S. in summer of '74 [corrected from '75] (at the age of 17). So I never experienced it as a child...not that I think I missed out on a whole lot. But at some time in the 90s or so they managed to introduce it here, maybe in the wake of the Halloween movies, I don't know. It probably was a plot by the candy industry and other interested groups to find an occasion for making more money, just like the flower industry managed to suddenly come up with Valentine's Day in the late Sixties or so, which nobody in Germany had heard of either. Mother's Day, much earlier, probably was of the same kind.

Anyway, for three years now we've had our neighbours nicely asking if they could come over with a group of children (two of their own, with their daughter having her birthday on the 24th and celebrating on the 31st each year - she turned 9 this time). Of course we didn't (and don't) mind and provided Haribo and Mars candy, something we would never buy for ourselves and, if we had children, probably would discourage them from eating that stuff. But healthy food be damned for the occasion, and let the parents worry about their children's dental health. The kids love it, the entire affair took us about twenty minutes including a bit of preparation, and we can now relax for the next 366 days.

Fun fact: "Halloween" is in nine of sixteen states in Germany...a public holiday. But not because it is Halloween, but because Martin Luther in 1517 decided to (allegedly) nail his 95 theses to the door of the palace church at Wittenberg one day before All Saints' Day (i. e. "All Hallows Eve"). So it is officially "Reformation Day" now, but I suppose it contributes to a lot more activity on Halloween in those states than elsewhere.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City

Yes I learned to enjoy November. It's still autumn, for one. But the first few days after Halloween are rough. Oh well, there's Noirvember at least.

Yes, there is Noirvember!!! =D>

* In case anyone doesn't know "Noirvember" happens every November, as fans of Film Noir celebrate the movies and personalities of Dark City.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited November 2023 Posts: 17,809
    November by Thomas Hood

No sun - no moon!
    No morn - no noon -
    No dawn - no dusk - no proper time of day -
    No sky - no earthly view -
    No distance looking blue -
    No road - no street - no 't'other side the way' -
    No end to any Row -
    No indications where the Crescents go -
    No top to any steeple -
    No recognitions of familiar people -
    No courtesies for showing 'em -
    No knowing 'em -
    No travelling at all - no locomotion,
    No inkling of the way - no notion -
    'No go' - by land or ocean -
    No mail - no post -
    No news from any foreign coast -
    No Park - no Ring - no afternoon gentility -
    No company - no nobility -
    No warmth, no cheerfulness, no healthful ease,
    No comfortable feel in any member -
    No shade, no shine, no butterflies, no bees,
    No fruits, no flowers, no leaves, no birds, -
    November!

So it's not all bad news!
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    November by Thomas Hood

No sun - no moon!
    No morn - no noon -
    No dawn - no dusk - no proper time of day -
    No sky - no earthly view -
    No distance looking blue -
    No road - no street - no 't'other side the way' -
    No end to any Row -
    No indications where the Crescents go -
    No top to any steeple -
    No recognitions of familiar people -
    No courtesies for showing 'em -
    No knowing 'em -
    No travelling at all - no locomotion,
    No inkling of the way - no notion -
    'No go' - by land or ocean -
    No mail - no post -
    No news from any foreign coast -
    No Park - no Ring - no afternoon gentility -
    No company - no nobility -
    No warmth, no cheerfulness, no healthful ease,
    No comfortable feel in any member -
    No shade, no shine, no butterflies, no bees,
    No fruits, no flowers, no leaves, no birds, -
    November!

So it's not all bad news!

Thank you for this - I didn't know it. But it quite fits my feelings about November, and people in 1840 must have thought the same.
    Dwayne wrote: »

Yes, there is Noirvember!!! =D>

* In case anyone doesn't know "Noirvember" happens every November, as fans of Film Noir celebrate the movies and personalities of Dark City.

I also extend it to crime fiction in general, so I read a lot of crime novels come November.
    Dr No-vember.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Risico007 wrote: »

That's brutal. I work in an industry with strict dress code but to fire someone four hours in on a first offence of your shirt being untucked is ludicrous. Sorry that happened to you man.
  • edited November 2023 Posts: 1,640
    Bruce Lee thought Valentines Day was just a money scam :D

Hween , xmas , easter.....its all about $$$ , they dont keep grocery stores open on 12/24 out of kindness.

Virtually every kids film today has merch they try to hawk , it started in 50s , for ex Zorro show had lots of merch then Batman in 60s.....long before SW came along. Disney was merch pioneer. Coca Cola santa/CC polar bear , also commercial invention but people like it nonetheless.
    Not only fake autographs , Piece of the Past also has Batman Bane costume up for grabs at 7500 , minimum bid. If only more people knew then they would not risk bidding.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Tracy wrote: »

Hween , xmas , easter.....its all about $$$ , they dont keep grocery stores open on 12/24 out of kindness.

Virtually every kids film today has merch they try to hawk , it started in 50s , for ex Zorro show had lots of merch then Batman in 60s.....long before SW came along. Disney was merch pioneer. Coca Cola santa/CC polar bear , also commercial invention but people like it nonetheless.

Makes me think of Star Wars and Pokemon (Gotta Catch 'em All, not even trying to hide it lol).

Not really a whine, but I had eye surgery yesterday (genetic polar cataracts, they removed my left lens and put an artificial one in); procedure went great and now out of my left eye I can see more clearly than ever before, but 1) my near vision is no good anymore so need reading glasses, and 2) I still have a dogsh** right eye that I can't wait for them to knife up and fix. Neither of these issues are a huge deal but it'll be a pain to deal with until I get my second surgery and am then able to get proper reading glasses rather than these drug store things I'm using now.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

Makes me think of Star Wars and Pokemon (Gotta Catch 'em All, not even trying to hide it lol).

Not really a whine, but I had eye surgery yesterday (genetic polar cataracts, they removed my left lens and put an artificial one in); procedure went great and now out of my left eye I can see more clearly than ever before, but 1) my near vision is no good anymore so need reading glasses, and 2) I still have a dogsh** right eye that I can't wait for them to knife up and fix. Neither of these issues are a huge deal but it'll be a pain to deal with until I get my second surgery and am then able to get proper reading glasses rather than these drug store things I'm using now.

That sounds pretty intense, @NickTwentyTwo. I hope everything works out great. Eye surgery is a delicate thing. But it's for the best, I'm sure.

@NickTwentyTwo, I had both of my lenses exchanged in summer last year within one week of each other, and it ended my myopia for the first time in sixty years or so. The cataract was only in my right eye (I had surgery on a detached retina 12 years ago, which the doctors said contributed to the cataract somehow), but it made no sense to keep the left eye being very much near-sighted while the right one is miles better. I do have to wear reading glasses now instead (actually, I have multifocal glasses that I keep on during most of the day) but I can drive my car without them.
    My wife wants me to bake that cake for her birthday: https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/recipe/easy-chocolate-and-mint-celebration-cake

Problem is we only have two tins and it needs three. She already bought the ingredients, so there's no going back. What did I get myself into?
    My wife wants me to bake that cake for her birthday: https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/recipe/easy-chocolate-and-mint-celebration-cake

Problem is we only have two tins and it needs three. She already bought the ingredients, so there's no going back. What did I get myself into?

May I suggest your local supermarket where you will find a selection of ready made cakes. ;)

May I suggest your local supermarket where you will find a selection of ready made cakes. ;)
    Yeah but like I said, she already bought the ingredients. And I baked the cake for my son's birthday, I pretty much bake cakes for every special occasion. I'm the official family baker. Can't just turn round and tell her: "I baked cakes all year round, but just this time I'm going to buy one for your birthday because I can't be bothered."
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited November 2023 Posts: 2,928
    there's no going back. What did I get myself into?
    I'd say do the 'guy thing' and make a complete 'orrible mess of it, so you never get asked to do it again - but that won't work if you're actually really good at baking cakes and have been doing it for years, eh! Ah, well, back to the mixing bowl, mate...

I actually looked at the recipe and thought: Three tins of what? Except for "Guittard Green Mint Baking Chips" that I have never heard of before (and which probably aren't available anywhere in Germany), I have all the ingredients in my kitchen cabinet, or in my fridge. OK, the eggs aren't "British Blacktail" but they are free range (or maybe organic even), and they are not medium but XL, so I'll just use four instead of five. But again, which ingredient comes in tins? (As with most cake recipes, I'd probably cut the sugar by at least one-third, but that's another issue.)

Yeah but like I said, she already bought the ingredients. And I baked the cake for my son's birthday, I pretty much bake cakes for every special occasion. I'm the official family baker. Can't just turn round and tell her: "I baked cakes all year round, but just this time I'm going to buy one for your birthday because I can't be bothered."

That's fair enough. I was of course being facetious. The last cakes I baked were back in Home Economics at secondary school in the late 1990s. I remember I baked a Christmas cake in 1998, one of only three boys in my class to try it. Sadly in the quarter of a century since I've never baked a cake again. Baking is not really my forte but you sound really good at it. I'm sure you'll do fine with this new cake even though it may be a challenge.
    Baking is fun for me. Though I almost always bake bread (from whole grain that I grind myself) and almost never buy commercially-produced bread. But maybe two or tree times a year I enjoy baking a kind of cake I like, be it with rhubarb or plums from our own garden/yard or a New York Cheesecake or lemon meringue pie or...or... Then of course pizza from scratch, every three or four weeks or so.
    there's no going back. What did I get myself into?
    I'd say do the 'guy thing' and make a complete 'orrible mess of it, so you never get asked to do it again - but that won't work if you're actually really good at baking cakes and have been doing it for years, eh! Ah, well, back to the mixing bowl, mate...

I've been doing it for years, I'm just not very good. In the end we did it together, with only two layers. She did most of the work I must say, but I did the washing up.