Would you rather spend time in Venice with Tatiana (FRWL) OR Vesper (CR 06)

Comments

• PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    edited October 2023 Posts: 3,262
    thedove wrote: »
    I rather like these double bills, lets pair off Roger Moore for our next one.

Would you rather watch a double bill of TSWLM and MR OR FYEO and OP?

In honor of the memory of my late father I pick the one he took me to at a very impressionable age:

007-novelisations.jpg

moonrakerspy.jpg

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Love the 'opening tomorrow' in the NTTD font! :)

I've never done an actual double bill in the cinema- do you not get a bit tired?
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited October 2023 Posts: 13,043
    After Roger Moore’s passing, Regal Cinemas celebrated his career with the double bill of TSWLM and FYEO.

A great movie experience to remember. Not least for TSWLM's end promising James Bond Will Return--in For Your Eyes Only. And this time it did. Saw both at an evening show after a full day at work, I came out of it feeling great.

Was planning on a true theater marathon of 4 Craig films plus the release of NTTD, that schedule fell through with the pandemic probably not to be offered Gain.

• thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    mtm wrote: »
    Love the 'opening tomorrow' in the NTTD font! :)

I've never done an actual double bill in the cinema- do you not get a bit tired?

The one that I did in the theatre had a brief intermission between both films, maybe 30 minutes to stretch and move around. It seemed fine, both films were average length. Dirty Dancing and Princess Bride.

In the drive in my son and I enjoy the double feature. In the summer with the extended sunshine it can be 2-3 am when you are getting home. Again the drive in has an intermission between flicks for people to stretch, run around and get concessions. With our current sunlight hours a drive in double bill will start around 7:30p and finish around 12am?
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Love TSWLM, and always enjoy MR. But, FYEO and OP would win this for me.
    I've seen a double bill of TSWLM and MR in 35mm on th ebig screen abour 10 years ago. It was amazing. I'll go for FYEO and OP instead, though.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    edited October 2023 Posts: 2,060
    FYEO and OP are two top 5 Bond movies for me, so it would easily be those.

TSWLM... I understand why a lot of fans would rank it highly, but for me it sits in the mid-tier, which is to say, very good, but there are others I prefer more.

MR... its always fun and I gained a new appreciation of it when seeing it in the cinema as part of the 60th anniversary screenings last year, but it's not one I would automatically choose to watch.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Good stuff, seems to be more equal than I imagined when I crafted it.

Lets end our double bill battle with Tim and Pierce.

Would you rather watch a double bill of TLD & LTK OR a double bill of GE & TND

With Tim's two films we have a classic Bond adventure and an adventure that throws away a great deal of tropes. We have a tuxedoed Bond travelling Europe with some romance and a revenge seeking Bond who is intent on ending something the villain started.

With Pierce, we get a whiz-bang adventure with a new Bond, new Moneypenny but still the character we all love. We have a double-o as the villain and some wonderful action set pieces. In TND we have a rocking globetrotting adventure with lots of action and good fun!

Which two films are you watching?
    I’ll go with TLD & LTK, but this one’s pretty much a coin toss for me and very mood dependent. GE and LTK have always been favorites, TLD’s always more or less been around the middle, and TND is one that’s grown on me a lot over time. I’ve come to consider TND the “other good Brosnan one.”
  • TLD & LTK are better movies.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Even though I like GE and TND, nothing beats TLD - LTK, my top 2 films of the franchise.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    The Moore double bill I could not answer since I’d watch any of those four films on any day.

But this next one is easy: Timothy’s two films by quite a margin!
  • Another tough one! All four films are amongst my favorites as well. Both TLD and GE were such great introductions for both Dalton and Brosnan, while LTK and TND were both films I’ve dismissed as “boring” and “generic” before slowly climbing up my rankings, TND itself making its way comfortably into my Top 10 favorite films of the series.

If I was forced to choose, I think I would have to ultimately side with Goldeneye and TND for this one. Nothing against Dalton and his films at all, but Goldeneye is my favorite Bond movie alone, and TND is a pure thrill ride for me. Plus Pierce is my favorite Bond. I’ll also add that I wouldn’t be a Bond fan if it weren’t for Goldeneye and TND.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I love TLD way more than I should, but LTK has just never quite clicked for me and as a double act I think I'd have to take GE/TND - two straight up entertaining films.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I hear you @mtm … for me LTK’s visuals are lacking, especially in the first half, but for me, when Bond infiltrates Sanchez’s gang, the entire film suddenly becomes interesting and exciting…. I find Dalton’s performance really picks up (it’s like Davi brought out the best in him); once Bond is in, the film is like a speeding train as it hurries to the inevitable showdown between these two men…

TLD is a top six Bond film for me… I love it.
    Not even a contest!
    TLD and LTK, all day, all year long! Watched them numerous times in a double bill, quite sublime!
    GE and TND are utter borefests!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    This is a surprising one for me, but I'd say TLD and LTK. The other three rank much lower than my love and appreciation for GE, but GE-to-TND is too big a drop in quality whereas it's always fun to enjoy the two Dalton gems we got back-to-back.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    GE/TND any day. They are just too much fun.
    Would you rather watch a double bill of TLD & LTK OR a double bill of GE & TND?
    YES
    GE and TND. GE is a favourite of mine and TND is one of my most rewatched Bond films. I do like Dalton's films though.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    Dalton, no contest.
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    mtm wrote: »
    I love TLD way more than I should, but LTK has just never quite clicked for me and as a double act I think I'd have to take GE/TND - two straight up entertaining films.

100% where I am ^
  • CharmianBondCharmianBond Pett Bottom, Kent
    GE and TND, no contest. The best Brosnan movie and one of the best full stop, and the best Bond comfort movie, respectively. I like TLD for Bond and Kara but apart from that I don't care for it and LTK is way too dark.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    GE was my first Bond-in-the-cinema experience, and it really got me 'into fandom' for as much as I think of myself as a fan, so the choice is easy!

TLD/LTK.
    Both films I haven't seen in the cinema jet, and rewatching a film in the cinema like GE, which holds such strong memories, will just fade those memories.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    edited October 2023 Posts: 3,262
    thedove wrote: »
    Would you rather watch a double bill of TLD & LTK OR a double bill of GE & TND

With Tim's two films we have a classic Bond adventure and an adventure that throws away a great deal of tropes. We have a tuxedoed Bond travelling Europe with some romance and a revenge seeking Bond who is intent on ending something the villain started.

Which two films are you watching?

Good description of the all too brief Dalton era, @thedove

I'll take the Timbo combo of TLD/LTK, please. It's the best 2 and only 2 performance by one actor as superspy film series since James Coburn's 2 film Derek Flint series IMHO.

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Despite GE and TND being my two favourite Pierce Brosnan movies, I couldn't not go with a double dose of Timothy Dalton.
    TLD & LTK for me.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I'll go for Dalton. It's no contest, really.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    I'm the opposite, I liked LTK but not much TLD (the plot I've felt was a bit convoluted and the villains aren't that memorable, Kara's naivety was I think a bit too much, like she's being dragged along whenever Bond goes), and TLD felt more like a Roger Moore Bond film complete with all the quips (which Dalton failed to deliver quite well).

LTK suited him more, the dark tone of the film really matched his portrayal of Bond, and the villain was great, though with the flaw of the corny love triangle, Pam proved to be a helpful ally to Bond, she fits the film well (unlike Kara), although the film at time felt like it was made for TV, more along the likes of Die Hard and Miami Vice, complete with the buddy who avenges his buddy and faced a big time criminal, typical 80's generic action.

GE got the right balance, great villain, a Bond Girl that fits the storyline and plot, and also matured enough for Bond, Cold War Era plot that's not convoluted and complicated, it's a straightforward plot, and I think it fits Brosnan well, the only thing that's missing in it was the great score.

TND also got the right balance, although very much reflected its time with the complete generic 90's action film tropes, but also got some aspects right, a Bond Girl who's very much Bond's equal since Tracy, or going further, Holly Goodhead, and also fits the plot where her character was given more focus and importance and doesn't need to rely on Bond, the villain (on paper) was interesting, although Jonathan Pryce, as I'll admit was miscast in the role for not portraying the character right (as intended), Elliot Carver was meant to be played with menace and seriousness, but Jonathan Pryce played it light like he's a villain in the Moore Bond Era with all the mockery and facial expressions, too much over the top, but still, looking at filmmaking perspective, it's done great with a good cinematography, action scenes, and set pieces, it's definitely an improvement over the 80's Bond films, for sure.

Dalton may have a better and interesting Bond portrayal than Brosnan but the quality of Brosnan's Bond films are an improvement over the 80's Bond films.
  • Well, I don't think so.

GoldenEye script is unoriginal and It has a lot of plot holes. The movie is cheap (It's not Moonraker or TSWLM). Campbell was a TV director and and you can see it.

TND is better movie than GE... but the Dalton's movies are better. LTK looks like The Godfather in comparison.

• SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited October 2023 Posts: 3,391
    Well, I don't think so.

GoldenEye script is unoriginal and It has a lot of plot holes. The movie is cheap (It's not Moonraker or TSWLM). Campbell was a TV director and and you can see it.

TND is better movie than GE... but the Dalton's movies are better. LTK looks like The Godfather in comparison.

It's not that the film's cheap, the cinematography fits the tone of the film in Cold War, Cold War Russia was very dull, it's meant to represent the Politics and how it affects Russia.

Goldeneye evoked that Cold War Realism, it's not really meant to be beautiful, let alone as fantastic as those two films you've mentioned.

Regarding Licence To Kill, I think it's meant to represent what 80's action films are at the time, it never dealt with anything, so the cheap cinematography was unreasonable because the film never tried to evoke anything other than being a standard Bond action flick with some 80's Action trope sprinkled here and there.