Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Jack Lowden deserves to be in the conversation.

oSHS5oF.jpg
    Hes does. He was brilliant in Slow Horses.
    007HallY wrote: »
    Okay, it's been a while since we've said who we think the most likely candidates are for the short list (not necessarily the ones you'd like, but those actors you feel Eon will like).

Sope Dirisu
    7PWnRbN.jpg
    Nicholas Hoult
    OmfeyEx.jpg
    Jack O'Connell
    cWLXred.jpg
    Paul Mescal
    PqCRppD.jpg
    Joe Alwyn
    RnaGVQ9.jpg

I think O’Connell and Dirisu are more likely than the others. Mescal’s becoming a bit too famous to realistically commit to the role and I don’t think Hoult’s that far behind. Not sure about Alwyn one way or the other.

I mean, without a script or an idea of what they want from this particular version of Bond it’s a bit tricky predicting this. But I’d be happy if O’Connell and/or Dirisu were considered. My instinct is ATJ is an early potential but doesn’t have the gravitas for the role and likely won’t actually audition anyway. I could always be wrong however.

Hoult's been up for Batman and Superman, I think he'll get an audition for Bond too, but I think he'll lack that dangerous quality and will lose out once again. ATJ is a bit of a man-of-the-moment in the press, but I can't see him giving a stronger performance than Dirisu or O'Connell when it comes to an audition. I do doubt O'Connell's ability to come across as public school educated, and I think his lack of height might be an issue (but obviously they can do things about that on camera).

I’m not sure if Hoult would be what they’re looking for, but it’s not out of the realm of possibility. My instinct is he won’t be considered, but who knows. I very much agree with what you say about ATJ - both Dirisu and O’Connell have far more star quality, gravitas, and a bit more charisma than him (I like all as actors though, and they are strong in that area, but Dirisu and O’Connell are just far more memorable).

It’s an odd one when comparing those two candidates. Despite his skin colour Dirisu I’d argue is a more conventionally Bondian candidate from his past roles. I really like O’Connell as an actor though and think he has more potential at moulding his natural qualities to the part. A lot of his early roles are as thuggish types, but this was the case with Sean Connery too. I think I said a few pages back that the way he walked/looked around a room in Starred Up came across as Bondian in that Craig/Connery way to me despite the character he played. He’s branched out into different roles since, and I’d argue is one of the best younger British actors of his generation. I’d also argue Bond doesn’t necessarily need to come off as a public school type - obviously this is his background, but he’s very much an outsider when it comes to those higher class, English circles, similar to how Fleming describes him as ‘alien and un-English’ when at Blades in MR. It’s also worth mentioning that all the Bond actors were from similar working class/lower middle class backgrounds as Dirisu and O’Connell, and there’s very much a sense that an actor ‘learns’ that more sophisticated side of Bond and brings their natural gravitas. Height isn’t as much an issue - some great actors were around O’Connell’s height and you’d never know, and even Craig needed ‘lifts’ on occasion.
  • Univex wrote: »
    peter wrote: »
    @denbigh, a director I'm working with directed Sam in Every Breath You Take... Very talented guy, but supposedly a great person on set.

I'm not sure if I see him as Bond, but he has the chops to pull off an interesting version of 007!

I’d actually prefer Sam to most of the actors on that list. There’s some finesse to him. And some sort of psychopatic intesity that works in the role rather well.

e308913afaf3033304aa80e8ab26dfad7ca4ace6.gif
    eea90c4397ca03386dc525d2abeb16ead38caaab.gif

Looks like Patrick Bateman there ;) Love the hair. Bond, in my book, would look like this :)

I’m tired of brutish thugs that look like bouncers from nightclubs, or young tattooed bearded fellas being tagged has possible Bond candidates. Give me a Claflin everyday of the week as James Bond.

And if he can scare Thomas Shelby, OBE, I’d say he can be James Bond ;)

I don’t know why, but for some reason he’s giving me some serious ‘Brosnan in Goldeneye’ vibes with this look. I wouldn’t mind him being cast!
    Univex wrote: »
    @denbigh, a director I'm working with directed Sam in Every Breath You Take... Very talented guy, but supposedly a great person on set.

I'm not sure if I see him as Bond, but he has the chops to pull off an interesting version of 007!

I’d actually prefer Sam to most of the actors on that list. There’s some finesse to him. And some sort of psychopatic intesity that works in the role rather well.

Looks like Patrick Bateman there ;) Love the hair. Bond, in my book, would look like this :)

I’m tired of brutish thugs that look like bouncers from nightclubs, or young tattooed bearded fellas being tagged has possible Bond candidates. Give me a Claflin everyday of the week as James Bond.

I don’t know why, but for some reason he’s giving me some serious ‘Brosnan in Goldeneye’ vibes with this look. I wouldn’t mind him being cast!

He’s even got some eyebrow game going on ;)
  • peterpeter Toronto

You two should check out Every Breath You Take. He’s got great acting chops (and the film also stars Casey Affleck and Michelle Monaghan). I’m not trying to Brosnan-bash at all, so please don’t take it that way, but he has a more deeper and elevated range than Brosnan.

I’m not sure if I envision Claflin as Bond, but if by chance he was cast, I know it wouldn’t upset me, 😂.

You two should check out Every Breath You Take. He’s got great acting chops (and the film also stars Casey Affleck and Michelle Monaghan). I’m not trying to Brosnan-bash at all, so please don’t take it that way, but he has a more deeper and elevated range than Brosnan.

I’m not sure if I envision Claflin as Bond, but if by chance he was cast, I know it wouldn’t upset me, 😂.

It appears that he reinforced his hair (line) game in recent years. I would not be disappointed if he landed the role.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    I like Sam Claflin and I think he’d be one of my picks for Bond, but I think at the speed things are moving he might hit 40 before they get going on the next film.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I've warmed to the idea of Claflin over the past few years, but yes, probably too old (unless the younger Bond stuff has been scrapped and anything goes at this point).
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Even If he's not considered for Bond, he'd be a great villain in the vein of Alec Trevelyan.

Based on these gifs he's a maybe, though I've never been convinced of his screen presence.

I might prefer to see his ex-wife as a Bond girl instead.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    D
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I've warmed to the idea of Claflin over the past few years, but yes, probably too old (unless the younger Bond stuff has been scrapped and anything goes at this point).

I tend to think one of the important characteristics of Bond is that he's an older-than-average-00. I like Claflin in these gifs big time; wouldn't be mad at all. May even prefer him to ATJ.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    I could more easily see Claflin as Avon in a Blakes 7 remake than as Bond, tbh.
  • What exactly is the age range EON might be looking for? Didn’t their casting director rule out anyone in their mid 20’s-30’s? Maybe Claffin has a chance so long as he isn’t in his mid 40s by the time Bond 26 begins production.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    Venutius wrote: »
    I could more easily see Claflin as Avon in a Blakes 7 remake than as Bond, tbh.

It's difficult to imagine anyone other than Paul Darrow in the role, but Claflin wouldn't be too bad. I would like it if our new Bond, whoever it might be, had some lines as good as Avon's. The next writers should watch a few of Avon's best moments to get a feel for how a character can be funny without resorting to bad puns.
    What exactly is the age range EON might be looking for? Didn’t their casting director rule out anyone in their mid 20’s-30’s? Maybe Claffin has a chance so long as he isn’t in his mid 40s by the time Bond 26 begins production.

I don’t think that many actors will be ruled out because of their age. If it were, say, Idris Elba who is 51, then yes there would be concerns about the longevity of such a candidate and they wouldn’t be considered. But I think EON understands there’s always some leeway. A 28 year old who comes across as a man in his thirties would be acceptable, and a good candidate who is 40 I suspect would be fine too. It just depends on the candidate and what they want to do.
  • If they want an older Bond, they have Henry Cavill. He was good enough in 2005.

• The role must be taxing on the body yeah!? Maybe it's fit for a younger guy. I mean, the other night I pulled a muscle just performing a forward roll, I couldn't believe it.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    MV5BNDRjODU5YjItY2IwOS00MmIxLWE5ZDUtOWJjMjBmYzYxNTc0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzEzMzQzMzc@._V1_.jpg

He's not really "in the running" as it were, but Leo Suter would be my pick if I had to choose. He has the presence, the voice, the height and yet a sense of anonymity necessary to add believability to playing the character. He's not famous, he's not a film star, so you could see him become Bond as the other actors did before him.

He'd bring a youthfulness back to the role, yet he could still bring a sense of gravitas that other candidates probably couldn't, after watching some of their "audition roles".
    If they want a younger Bond I think Suter is the man for the job
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    MV5BNDRjODU5YjItY2IwOS00MmIxLWE5ZDUtOWJjMjBmYzYxNTc0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzEzMzQzMzc@._V1_.jpg

He's not really "in the running" as it were, but Leo Suter would be my pick if I had to choose. He has the presence, the voice, the height and yet a sense of anonymity necessary to add believability to playing the character. He's not famous, he's not a film star, so you could see him become Bond as the other actors did before him.

He'd bring a youthfulness back to the role, yet he could still bring a sense of gravitas that other candidates probably couldn't, after watching some of their "audition roles".

One of my top choices. I think he could meld the charm and lightness of Moore with the physicality of Craig. He has a great voice.

• VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited October 2023 Posts: 2,928
    It's difficult to imagine anyone other than Paul Darrow in the role, but Claflin wouldn't be too bad.
    Absolutely - Paul owned that role to the very core. Claflin is about the only younger actor I've seen who I could even vaguely picture in a remake but, yes, anyone would be a distant second best to Darrow, tbf.

• Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    talos7 wrote: »
    Jordo007 wrote: »

One of my top choices. I think he could meld the charm and lightness of Moore with the physicality of Craig. He has a great voice.

Absolutely mate. If nothing else he's got our two votes, he's been my top choice ever since you suggested him
  • 007HallY wrote: »
    What exactly is the age range EON might be looking for? Didn’t their casting director rule out anyone in their mid 20’s-30’s? Maybe Claffin has a chance so long as he isn’t in his mid 40s by the time Bond 26 begins production.

I don’t think that many actors will be ruled out because of their age. If it were, say, Idris Elba who is 51, then yes there would be concerns about the longevity of such a candidate and they wouldn’t be considered. But I think EON understands there’s always some leeway. A 28 year old who comes across as a man in his thirties would be acceptable, and a good candidate who is 40 I suspect would be fine too. It just depends on the candidate and what they want to do.

Maybe a 45 y/o actor could work? We see older leading men more these days than perhaps the days of Roger Moore, and assuming the next fellow can keep himself in somewhat good health, and shape, he could retire right around the same age that Daniel did. Younger would be more ideal for me however.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Hmm...someone in their 20s who can play 30s. That's Mescal.

ATJ could do the reboot of Hinx.
  • echo wrote: »
    Hmm...someone in their 20s who can play 30s. That's Mescal.

ATJ could do the reboot of Hinx.

Mescal looks at least 40.
  • edited October 2023 Posts: 2,901
    007HallY wrote: »

Maybe a 45 y/o actor could work? We see older leading men more these days than perhaps the days of Roger Moore, and assuming the next fellow can keep himself in somewhat good health, and shape, he could retire right around the same age that Daniel did. Younger would be more ideal for me however.

Like I said, it depends completely on the candidate. 40s used to be the norm for new Bond actors, and even Craig was in his late 30s in CR. It doesn’t seem they’re specifically looking for younger candidates this time round but early to mid 30s is the most likely age and a good one just practically speaking.

I do think as a character Bond should be a bit older - even a ‘young Bond’ should be in his 30s, preferably mid 30s (or at least come across as being so). Bond isn’t a former SAS soldier who got promoted into the 00 section at a young age, he’s a man who’s worked his way up from the navy and acquired experience over time. It makes more sense that he’s a bit older.
    A young Bond is fine. But not some pretty boy who is all physique and no real acting ability.
  • I'm not just a pretty boy, I'm an influencer! People copy me left, right and centre. I'd make a good role model for the next gen.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I'm not just a pretty boy, I'm an influencer! People copy me left, right and centre. I'd make a good role model for the next gen.

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited October 2023 Posts: 5,869
    On the subject of the physique, while I’m open to whoever EON want to cast, I’d personally not go for someone too built. For example, Henry Cavill is just too much. I can see why they considered him back in 2005 because he was just starting out, smaller and had a more realistic physique, but now he just screams exaggerated action hero and I personally don’t think that’s Bond. ATJ seems to remain quite slim in his bulking, whereas Cavill is still built like a comic-book character.