Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• Univex wrote: »
    Just imagine MR’s car chase with the Bentley blower battleship grey Convertible Coupé, with the French Marchal headlamps! Directed by Nolan. Has that ever been done in a film? A proper chase with a Bentley from the 30s ?

I’m sold :)

I’m still skeptical about a period piece but I would love to see the original Bond car in one of the films. I think it could work in a modern one too to be fair. Maybe Bond is undercover at some exclusive classic car meet/auction type thing and ends up having to race the bad guy. Or maybe the bad guy has an insane collection at his mansion and Bond ends up stealing the blower to escape.
  • edited October 2023 Posts: 6,677
    Univex wrote: »
    Just imagine MR’s car chase with the Bentley blower battleship grey Convertible Coupé, with the French Marchal headlamps! Directed by Nolan. Has that ever been done in a film? A proper chase with a Bentley from the 30s ?

I’m still skeptical about a period piece but I would love to see the original Bond car in one of the films. I think it could work in a modern one too to be fair. Maybe Bond is undercover at some exclusive classic car meet/auction type thing and ends up having to race the bad guy. Or maybe the bad guy has an insane collection at his mansion and Bond ends up stealing the blower to escape.

Now THAT would be an homage I’d fully endorse! Brilliant idea, @thelivingroyale. Just imagine the skilled driving Bond would have to do to evade modern cars in a Bentley Blower. What an iconic scene that would be. Pair that with him having a modern Aston daily just to go from A to B, and we’ve got perfection.

Now THAT would be an homage I’d fully endorse! Brilliant idea, @thelivingroyale. Just imagine the skilled driving Bond would have to do to evade modern cars in a Bentley Blower. What an iconic scene that would be. Pair that with him having a modern Aston daily just to go from A to B, and we’ve got perfection.

I’d be so up for that in a modern film as well. Surprising it’s not something thought up already.
    007HallY wrote: »

I’d be so up for that in a modern film as well. Surprising it’s not something thought up already.

But they should do it with a real car, practical effects. Nolan would do this wonderfully, just like with the spitfires in Dunkirk.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    A problem I'd have with a period set Bond film is any break from the setting would take me out of the film completely. Let's say some misguided dialogue, poor CGI or something that feels present day.

It feels like more trouble than it's worth in my opinion
    Well yes, you are absolutely right, @Jordo007. I’d only be behind the idea if done by someone like Sam Mendes or Christopher Nolan, with proven filmography in said eras.

That being said, I’d rather have @thelivingroyale idea, if Nolan wants to scratch that itch.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    A problem I'd have with a period set Bond film is any break from the setting would take me out of the film completely. Let's say some misguided dialogue, poor CGI or something that feels present day.

It feels like more trouble than it's worth in my opinion

To be fair, DAD does this quite a bit and it's not a period piece.

But they should do it with a real car, practical effects. Nolan would do this wonderfully, just like with the spitfires in Dunkirk.

Nothing wrong with practical effects, but to be completely honest I think the argument between 'practical' and 'CGI' is very oversimplified nowadays for those not in the know. Often films contain a mixture of both for action sequences in films like Bond, and usually the CGI is there in order to facilitate things which are not immediately obvious/directly to do with the stunts themselves. For a chase like that, a 'real' car of some sort would be used. It may not necessarily be the exact model from the period in every shot (I don't think even Nolan would do this for every shot if he filmed such a sequence) and would most certainly include at least one mocked up version when the car inevitably gets battered, but in order to capture footage for any sort of digital enhancement you need a level of practical filmmaking.

It's similar to me when Nolan bangs on about digital vs analogue filmmaking in interviews. Oversimplified and a bit tedious to listen to.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Nolan is quite tedious and self-important in interviews.

I hope Eon goes with someone with more of a sense of humor and lightness.
  • There aren't many sure thing directors but Nolan is one of them. He is yet to make a bad film imo.
    I agree, but Nolan himself uses that sort of complimentary mixture. And about the digital vs analogie debacle, I’d say he’s earned the right to be that sort of voice in the matter. One cannot argue that he’s had outstanding results with his methods.

If he did it with spitfires, he’d do wonders with a Blower. I have a friend who restores and maintains Bentleys, and we’ve had this conversation before, about what would it cost to buld two or three replicas for a big budget film. She said it wouldn’t be different from bulding a large set with hidraulics or pneumatics or bulding fake DB5s. It would take a large some of money, but that’s what big budget’s are for.

And then they’d complete the settings with properly done cgi. Like Nolan does for most of his films.

I’m guessing he didn’t bent Paris for Inception, or had a gargantuous titlewave produced for Interstellar, or killed a star to generate a black hole ;)
  • edited October 2023 Posts: 3,015
    There aren't many sure thing directors but Nolan is one of them. He is yet to make a bad film imo.

Tenet I think is the closest. Maybe not a 'bad' film per say, but it's not a film I get much out of, and it's not an uncommon criticism. Certainly the sound design decisions are bad I'd argue. I don't think Interstellar was entirely successful either. Nolan's had his share of underwhelming films in this way (although these things are subjective - I personally don't like TDKR very much), but broadly yes, he hasn't had a 'bad' film. And most commercially successful directors have at least one that's considered 'bad' at least critically.
    I agree, but Nolan himself uses that sort of complimentary mixture. And about the digital vs analogie debacle, I’d say he’s earned the right to be that sort of voice in the matter. One cannot argue that he’s had outstanding results with his methods.

If he did it with spitfires, he’d do wonders with a Blower. I have a friend who restores and maintains Bentleys, and we’ve had this conversation before, about what would it cost to buld two or three replicas for a big budget film. She said it wouldn’t be different from bulding a large set with hidraulics or pneumatics or bulding fake DB5s. It would take a large some of money, but that’s what big budget’s are for.

And then they’d complete the settings with properly done cgi. Like Nolan does for most of his films.

I’m guessing he didn’t bent Paris for Inception, or had a gargantuous titlewave produced for Interstellar, or killed a star to generate a black hole ;)

I think no matter the director a Bond film with such a sequence would have actual Bentlys in at least one shot, even if they were later models done up to look like the older ones, as Dunkirk did with the planes. Replicas would still be used for different shots when it's damaged or made to do things an actual Bently from the period wouldn't. I don't think it'd be unique to Nolan's style really. It'd be a cool thing to see though.

I mean, Nolan's had some poorly filmed/edited action sequences even if they used completely practical effects. The notorious truck chase scene in TDK is an example (still have a tough time with that sequence even today).

He's certainly an important voice in the analogue vs digital debate, but ultimately he's a director with a lot of resources/wide budgets at his disposal who happened to begin his career at a particular time. If he made Following today as a young filmmaker he'd be shooting digital.
    I agree, although that much can be said about all great masters, that they existed and thrived in a particular set of circumstances and Time. Saying they are a product of serendipity shouldn’t deflate them of merit or valor. I have many indie director friends who still use analog devices and film. Many of them still get prizes for their endeavours. One of them just did. I maintain that film and budget restrictions of some sort mainly function as fuel for the mind and a push for solutions. Sometimes, someone comes along that can be that sort of artist with a great budget behind him or her, being that Michaelangelo with the Pope’s or Medici’s money, or Kubrick, or Nolan. IMO, of course :) A wonderful discussion, this one, btw. Cheers my friend
    I agree, although that much can be said about all great masters, that they existed and thrived in a particular set of circumstances and Time. Saying they are a product of serendipity shouldn’t deflate them of merit or valor. I have many indie director friends who still use analog devices and film. Many of them still get prizes for their endeavours. One of them just did. I maintain that film and budget restrictions of some sort mainly function as fuel for the mind and a push for solutions. Sometimes, someone comes along that can be that sort of artist with a great budget behind him or her, being that Michaelangelo with the Pope’s or Medici’s money, or Kubrick, or Nolan. IMO, of course :) A wonderful discussion, this one, btw. Cheers my friend

Oh yes, I agree creative restrictions can be very positive. Even the great masters like Kubrick and Hitchcock made wonderful films for lower budgets than their previous bigger scale ones. Even Nolan had to work with restrictions during many of his films, and I’d argue they’re his best.

Cheers too :)
  • edited October 2023 Posts: 3,279
    CrabKey wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    Thinking that a Bond film set in the 60’s will automatically be like Austin Powers is like thinking that any film set in the future will be like Woody Allen’s “Sleeper” .

What does setting a Bond film in the sixties bring to the table?

With Nolan attached to it, a lot most probably. Even though I'm not a fan of Oppenheimer, I can't deny he is having his blockbuster return to form, ala Spielberg and Raiders (after the 1941 failure).

A new Bond film set in the late 50's, closely tied to a Fleming novel, with Nolan at the helm as director, will be HUGE! There is no doubt about that. It will set the internet on fire!

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2023 Posts: 15,075
    I think no matter the director a Bond film with such a sequence would have actual Bentlys in at least one shot, even if they were later models done up to look like the older ones, as Dunkirk did with the planes. Replicas would still be used for different shots when it's damaged or made to do things an actual Bently from the period wouldn't. I don't think it'd be unique to Nolan's style really. It'd be a cool thing to see though.

There are a large number of Bentley 4½ Litre replicas around: quite a few later Bentleys like the MkVI have been converted into 30s Blower-style lookalikes, and they're pretty hard to spot. Here's a 50s one which was converted in the 70s, for example. Bentley themselves have actually been making brand new ones over the last couple of years at about £1.5 million each- I've seen a couple up close and they're incredible.
    But we've just had a chase with Bond using his classic car to escape from baddies, I don't need another one.
    I mean, Nolan's had some poorly filmed/edited action sequences even if they used completely practical effects. The notorious truck chase scene in TDK is an example (still have a tough time with that sequence even today).

He's certainly an important voice in the analogue vs digital debate, but ultimately he's a director with a lot of resources/wide budgets at his disposal who happened to begin his career at a particular time. If he made Following today as a young filmmaker he'd be shooting digital.

I must admit all the stuff I saw about him refusing to use digital effects for the nuclear explosion in Oppenheimer did annoy me. It's just a bit tedious.

Well, some things do make sense. Others receive my "no" as well. A quick "no", in fact.
    Thinking that a Bond film set in the 60’s will automatically be like Austin Powers is like thinking that any film set in the future will be like Woody Allen’s “Sleeper” .

With Nolan attached to it, a lot most probably. Even though I'm not a fan of Oppenheimer, I can't deny he is having his blockbuster return to form, ala Spielberg and Raiders (after the 1941 failure).

A new Bond film set in the late 50's, closely tied to a Fleming novel, with Nolan at the helm as director, will be HUGE! There is no doubt about that. It will set the internet on fire!

Oh, I quite agree.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

It's clickbait, so mostly worthless; but I don't disagree with all of those. The main ones I don't like would be: 7 (as it's just too vague to say the tone shouldn't be too dark or silly- that could pretty much mean anything); 5 (I think Bond should stay present day); and 4 (one person's goofy gadget is another's bit of fun). The last three are just a bit too subjective too and depend on the execution rather than being fundamentally bad ideas.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited October 2023 Posts: 2,943
    Can we have MR set in 1955, with Aidan Turner and Lily James?

• LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    edited October 2023 Posts: 1,447
    Gunbarrel opens on the burning pipe of M in his office in MI6. "Moneypenny, memo for 007: receive and report at once. Pack tux. End." The smoke blows into the camera, transitioning to the exhaust of a speeding Bentley overtaking a cab in the dead of morning, a subtle sunglass-marked tan eyeline of Turner is spotted in the mirror. 007 reporting for duty. Trailer ends, tickets sold. It could be 1957, it could be 2027, we're about to find out.
  • edited October 2023 Posts: 108
    Personally I don't like the idea of making a Bond movie set in the 50's. At least it should be something like a "spin off" / special and not a part of the main film series. Maybe as a mini series similar to "The Continental"?
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited October 2023 Posts: 3,393

It depends upon the audience, Bond needs to be focused upon general audiences, especially the modern generations of viewers.

I have no problem with Nolan directing, but period piece is a lazy move and would no guarantee of box success (it's a favor for a few, especially those die hard fans, sans me, but not to a wide range of general audiences).

I'm afraid, but that move would possibly lead to Nolan getting some flaks (something that he didn't have before), actually that's already showing in Oppenheimer with some already criticizing the film for being slow.
    Kojak007 wrote: »
    Personally I don't like the idea of making a Bond movie set in the 50's. At least it should be something like a "spin off" / special and not a part of the main film series. Maybe as a mini series similar to "The Continental"?

Indeed, this is exactly my thought.

Because if the film's the case, then I'd rather watch the classic Bond films that were truly made in that era.

If we're into period pieces, especially Bond, then I'm fine with a TV series/spin off, exactly like what you've said, and it should be limited, just 50's, it should never reach the 60's (as it would complicate the timeline of the 60's Bond films).
  • TheSkyfallen06TheSkyfallen06 Buenos Aires, Argentina.
    edited October 2023 Posts: 996
    Kojak007 wrote: »

Double Zero
    A period miniseries that faithfully adapts Fleming's short stories.
    Starring Thomas Doherty as James Bond.
    That's the only way i see it working (at least for me).
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    I've long wondered if a prestige BBC miniseries of Bond could work alongside the regular franchise. I bet it could, like the many concurrent Holmes adaptations across various periods over the years.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I'm afraid, but that move would possibly lead to Nolam getting some flaks (something that he didn't have before).

Many who saw Tenet would disagree with this, 😂
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    The BBC have adapted the novels over the last ten years or so, with Toby Stephens. To be honest I kind of think those show why adaptations which are closer to the novels aren't really worth doing, as quite a few of them end up being pretty close to the films we already have, only not as good.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited October 2023 Posts: 2,943
    The obvious option would be a series of multi-episode, period-piece faithful adaptations of the novels shown on Amazon, no? Bezos could fund it all out of his chump change and not even know he's spent owt. Come on, Jeff, what's not to love, man?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Venutius wrote: »
    The obvious option would be a series of multi-episode, period-piece faithful adaptations of the novels shown on Amazon, no? Bezos could fund it all out of his chump change and not even know he's spent owt. Come on, Jeff, what's not to love, man?

But, why? What's the point in a duller version of Goldfinger that has a plot incredibly similar to the movie, but slightly less interesting, without the cool music, the amazing sets or Sean Connery or Gert Frobe etc?
  • TheSkyfallen06TheSkyfallen06 Buenos Aires, Argentina.
    mtm wrote: »
    Venutius wrote: »

But, why? What's the point in a duller version of Goldfinger that has a plot incredibly similar to the movie, but slightly less interesting, without the cool music, the amazing sets or Sean Connery or Gert Frobe etc?

Exactly, leave them as they are, adapt the short stories faithfully instead.