It Seems There Are More QoS Appreciators Than Thought Before

Comments

Jordo007 wrote: »
    I'd love it too mate but I think given thevending of NTTD, Daniel is well and truly done with Bond. I think he's over it. If we were talking about a Knives Out game on the other hand...

Agreed.Even though Brosnan was done with Bond after DAD ( Though he didn’t know it at the time! ) he was happy to provide his voice and likeness for Everything or Nothing as he was still the current Bond.

It would have been a different story if he knew Babs and Michael were going to let him go..

• Is it me or does Roberto Schaefer's cinematography for QoS look sharper and higher contrast with detail in QoS compared to SF with Roger Deakins' work?
    Is it me or does Roberto Schaefer's cinematography for QoS look sharper and higher contrast with detail in QoS compared to SF with Roger Deakins' work?

Not just you! Always thought QOS was the better looking film. SF has some stunning scenes, but the majority of the interiors are flat and colourless, QOS has a richer look to it that I prefer!
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    QOS certainly contains some of the most interesting cinematography in the series. The composition, camera placements, imagery overlaying, colour palette etc. So much of it is non-pedestrian and thought-provoking, adding to its rewatch value. This should be the one to study on an academic level.
  • QBranch wrote: »
    QOS certainly contains some of the most interesting cinematography in the series. The composition, camera placements, imagery overlaying, colour palette etc. So much of it is non-pedestrian and thought-provoking, adding to its rewatch value. This should be the one to study on an academic level.

Combine that with the effectiveness of David Arnold's score....it's emotionally impactful offering what it must feel like for someone having to navigate the world after losing Vesper while finding out all this unraveling of information being quantum, etc.

• Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I enjoy QOS's cinematography but I think Skyfall stands alone in the series. It's just so iconic and memorable, some aesthetics and backgrounds play like an extra character in a scene they're so rich and vibrant.

I do think Quantum's cinematography is over looked because the editing is so fast pace though, completely agree it's underrated, espicially the Opera sequence.
  • JustJamesJustJames London
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    Everyone let's petition to get Daniel Craig back in the upcoming Project 007 Bond video game by IO.

I'd love him to do another game, credit to him his voice work in QOS and Blood Stone was top notch.

I think Project 007 will set a new course, I wonder whether development has been purposefully slow to see how Bond 26 shapes up

It’s cos Craig is an actual gamer. Shots of him with his PSP on set exist, and that wasn’t exactly *the* mainstream mobile game option, even then.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    It's either QoS or OHMSS as the installment with the best cinematography in the series, in my opinion.
    QBranch wrote: »

This sums it up beautifully.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    It's very effective filmmaking. The shot of the beads rustling in the wind just before Slate attacks, etc. People obviously critique its pace, but when Quantum pauses for even a moment, it's purposeful and tense.
    LucknFate wrote: »
    It's very effective filmmaking. The shot of the beads rustling in the wind just before Slate attacks, etc. People obviously critique its pace, but when Quantum pauses for even a moment, it's purposeful and tense.

It's a film that rarely stops moving, and when it does, there's a damn good reason for it. I love this movie so much.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Yeah, I think QBranch summed it up perfectly, tbh.
  • LucknFate wrote: »

When Fields' corpse is found, the shot was originally supposed to show an emphasis on Bond's facial expression. It was supposed to bring the realization that Bond has brought others in way too deep. A re-edit of QoS can also include not just deleted scenes (not talking about White's death) but also a slower version without the fast cuts on the action.
    I personally love the film as is and don't think I'd want a revised edition that tweaks editing and the like. Now, a proper version (maybe even a 4K that doesn't lose that beautiful color as much) with all deleted scenes and commentary included? Sign me up.
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    Is it me or does Roberto Schaefer's cinematography for QoS look sharper and higher contrast with detail in QoS compared to SF with Roger Deakins' work?

Been singing the praises of QOS’s cinematography for years! In terms of color palate (earthy but the blues really pop; ie the ocean color, the eye at Tosca, Daniel’s eyes, etc) and the paradoxically gritty yet sleek look makes it feel very real-world. Further, the cinematography matches the costume design, which shows great attention to detail.

While SF and NTTD are perhaps more “beautiful”, I firmly believe QOS is how a modern Bond film should look.
  • QoS and LTK both had moments where Bond was tested so hard. Like LTK, QoS was also a likely film to be the last for a Bond actor with many parallels (long hiatus between itself and its sequel).
    The sequels were far more indirect in nature than the prior films. SF shows many changes to DC as though another actor in his 40s like P.B. took over the role in GE.

All in all, it's the character of Camille Montes who is the heart of the movie. She moves like a ghost across Bond's journey. A reflection of his internal feelings of turmoil. Timothy Dalton in LTK showed is turmoil a lot which is why he is proclaimed by many to be the actor closest to the literary Bond version on screen. The great example QoS shows everyone is that it isn't fun to be Bond no matter how fantastic or luxurious the scenes he is presented in. In the end, no Vesper returned. He simply got some solace to move on just after nearly dying in the hotel fire sequence.

I so badly hope DC and all the Bond actors will provide a voice over like RM did for all of his films before the release of Bond 26. It would be a good way to promote Bond 26 if DC provided afterthought commentaries for each of his films.
  • Did you all know that skyfall could have been a non bond movie Played by different characters?

• Look, folks....AI is capable of generating us a sequel to QoS using the style and likes of the actors and the series in the era between CR and QoS. That's probably our best bet compared to waiting for producers to release a redux or huge bonus addition with commentaries from DC and Judi Dench.
    Look, folks....AI is capable of generating us a sequel to QoS using the style and likes of the actors and the series in the era between CR and QoS. That's probably our best bet compared to waiting for producers to release a redux or huge bonus addition with commentaries from DC and Judi Dench.

You mean the eta between QOS and SF. I'd still rather have a series of graphic novels. I might exercise myself in the fanfic section.
  • Ludovico wrote: »
    Look, folks....AI is capable of generating us a sequel to QoS using the style and likes of the actors and the series in the era between CR and QoS. That's probably our best bet compared to waiting for producers to release a redux or huge bonus addition with commentaries from DC and Judi Dench.

You mean the eta between QOS and SF. I'd still rather have a series of graphic novels. I might exercise myself in the fanfic section.

Similar to how Batman '89 does what WB studios refuses to do to help save DC comics film brand?
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited September 2023 Posts: 8,701
    Though I caught flak on the IMDb forum at the time when the movie came out for NOT totally condemning QOS but instead taking a rather balanced view, I have no desire to see another Bond movie resembling QOS in style or, especially, editing, whether made by real people or AI. It's for me still the worst of the Craig era, and even looking at SP, this is not a hard choice to make. And medicocre movies may be ok, but you don't wish for the next movie being mediocre. It reminds me of an old Dilbert cartoon, where the Pointy-Haired Boss decides he has to injure an employee because the personal target set for him by his superiors was to have one lost-time accident, and until then he had zero.
    Ludovico wrote: »

Similar to how Batman '89 does what WB studios refuses to do to help save DC comics film brand?

Well I don't know about that, I just know there's a whole chunk of Bond's career between QOS and SF that we haven't seen. And a lot of lose ends created by retcon, creative decisions and delays which are worth exploring.

Well I don't know about that, I just know there's a whole chunk of Bond's career between QOS and SF that we haven't seen. And a lot of lose ends created by retcon, creative decisions and delays which are worth exploring.

I know what you are talking about but for the other members here can you please address some of the loose ends out for everyone to take note of?

I know what you are talking about but for the other members here can you please address some of the loose ends out for everyone to take note of?

Well whatever happened to Guy Haines and the other Quantum members that have been identified, what the links are between Spectre and Quantum (very different from a Doylist to a Watsonian perspective), whatever happened to Mr White between QOS and SP, how did M got aware of Sciarra, etc.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

Well whatever happened to Guy Haines and the other Quantum members that have been identified, what the links are between Spectre and Quantum (very different from a Doylist to a Watsonian perspective), whatever happened to Mr White between QOS and SP, how did M got aware of Sciarra, etc.

Isn't it regular for films not to tell many of these loose ends? i.e. I take it Guy Haines was either put on trial for high treason or, more likely, disposed of to an embassy in some backwater. But that's something for the 'whatever happened to..' thread.

The relationship between Quantum and SPectre however IS something they should've fleshed out, at least in SP. I understand they were all too happy to get the rights to 'spectre', but I think they rushed it in, making that film the oddball that NTTD had to correct. And in doing so, diminish SPECTRE as an organisation. Would it be reasonable for even a maniac like Blofeld to be so obsessed with Bond that he wouldn't Safin coming?

QoS actually set the Craig-era up for great things, but they only delivered half. I do like SF storywise, allthough some of it is too much (the escape, timing with the metro, eh, underground, etc. But with SP I feel they dropped the ball and allthough NTTD is, in my view, an extremely well-made film, storywise it does leave a lot to be desired.
    It's fairly regular yes, but it's still nice to tie them up in fanfic. The whatever happened thread is pretty much a humorous one, so would be nice to take a serious route and trying to come up with a plausible story.
  • edited September 2023 Posts: 1,280
    I
    Thanks to QoS and CR being so closely related, I have figured out what makes a great first Bond movie or two. As you know, not all of the 2nd Bond movies are as celebrated as the actors' first but here is what helps to make both (first and second ones) better.

You can tell that the directors and writers work harder on these first films with these aspects:

Making Bond more vulnerable.

Setting him up in situations that actually make you worried for his well being. Look at CR torture scene and how R-rated it seems with its grittiness. Look at GE for its time (90s was a comfortable decade for many from what I hear)....Bond gets emotionally cold welcomes from most people who are near or come near him with remarks at his relevance to his kind gestures being mistreated rudely, he has to pour a lot into his heart which makes the beach scene even more iconic with its sad music to accompany. LALD has many situations. FRWL makes you wonder what's going to happen next as a great spy drama and good quality film. QoS brings you into the mind of Bond and grief he bottles up. TLD adds vulnerability to the new Bond and by LTK his facial expressions really show his sadness involving Felix & Dellah's fate: you get concerned when Bond flees from the service in front of M.

You forgot Camille....wonder whatever happened to her after the events of QoS
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.

I always thought Mathis' girlfriend Gemma must have been pissed.

That's not something I care too much about, like other Bond girls. It's what's surrounding Quantum and the overall continuity of the Craig era that I think deserves exploring.

I always thought Mathis' girlfriend Gemma must have been pissed.

So true....