Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I must confess, while I understand the concept behind contests this type , for some reason how they actually work escapes me. With that said, I am very happy with the the film that came out on top; Rogue Nation is my favorite.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I'd have been happy with either of those winning.

So that makes it:
    1. Mission: Impossible Rogue Nation
    2. Mission: Impossible Fallout
    3. Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol
    4. Mission: Impossible
    5. M:I Dead Reckoning Part One
    6. Mission: Impossible Two
    7. Mission: Impossible Three

That works for me; pretty much my ranking I think.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'd knock GP much lower and bring DR P1 a lot higher up, but other than that, it's fairly close to my own ranking as well.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    edited September 2023 Posts: 1,434
    It's a mess.

1. Mission: Impossible Fallout
    2. Mission: Impossible Rogue Nation
    3. Mission: Impossible
    4. M:I Dead Reckoning Part One
    5. Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol
    6. Mission: Impossible Three
    7. Mission: Impossible Two

Also, breaking up DR into two parts ruins the Ferguson Trilogy neatness, unless she indeed returns somehow.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Mine is currently looking like this...

1. Rogue Nation
    2. Fallout
    3. Mission: Impossible 3
    4. Ghost Protocol
    5. Mission: Impossible
    6. Dead Reckoning Part One
    7. Mission: Impossible 2
    Mine … the middle five are pretty tightly grouped and can vary in order. My favorite and least favorite are fixed as of now.

1. Rogue Nation

2. Mission Impossible 3
    3. Mission: Fallout
    4. Ghost Protocol
    5. Mission: Dead Reckoning
    6. Mission Impossible

7. Mission: Impossible 2
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    My favourites are Rogue Nation & MI:2... but like I said, if DR part two delivers, this will change. That said, no bad film in this series, and that's very rare.
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    Amazingly they’re all quite strong… I’ll try to emphasize my rankings with spaces:

1. Rogue Nation
    2. Fallout

3. Ghost Protocol

4. Mission: Impossible 3
    5. Dead Reckoning Part One

6. Mission: Impossible 2
    7. Mission: Impossible
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    I do rankings on rewatch-ability, not necessarily which is the higher art form. Curious how others view it.
    LucknFate wrote: »
    I do rankings on rewatch-ability, not necessarily which is the higher art form. Curious how others view it.

I agree; there are more well crafted films , I know others don’t feel the same but something about MI: 3 really connects with me.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I try to rank based purely on my level of enjoyment.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited September 2023 Posts: 15,003
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I try to rank based purely on my level of enjoyment.

Same here. And that then influences how often I'll rewatch it! :)

On that basis I may well just reverse the top two in the Elimination results to match my own preferences, as I feel like I may have rewatched Fallout more than the others: it just works every time.

1. Mission: Impossible Fallout
    2. Mission: Impossible Rogue Nation

Three and DR languish towards the bottom of the list as they don't really deliver what I want an MI film to do: namely I love the heists and clever switcheroos. MI2 actually doesn't do too badly on that front, but I think DR is the better action movie of the two.
    De Palma's MI I think is just a brilliant fun spy movie that has that lovely Eurospy flavour, and has a couple of the most memorable set pieces in movie history: I think, maybe next to the Burj, it's got perhaps the only truly iconic moment from any of the MI films.
    GP is pure fun (I really love the big exuberant score) but falls down on the final act.
    Rogue Nation is pretty much flawless spy action fun- standout setpiece is the opera; just wonderful. And it has a wonderfully satisfying ending which doesn't feel the need to be a big action thing (CR take note).
    Fallout is perhaps a touch more serious than I prefer them, but it's just the best action blockbuster of the last couple of decades, culminating in the most tense and exciting climax you'll see anywhere. It was worth sitting through MI3 for it to set up Julia for this.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    1. Mission: Impossible Rogue Nation
    2. Mission: Impossible Fallout

Just is such a bizarre ranking, imo, I don't know whether to be more surprised at MI3 being eliminated first, or that Rogue Nation won! If I had to put money on it, I would have said that the final 2 would be Ghost Protocol and Fallout.

1. Mission Impossible: Fallout
    2. Mission Impossible
    3. Mission Impossible 3
    4. Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol
    5. Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning pt 1
    6. Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation
    7. Mission Impossible 2

That's my ranking at present. Mission Impossible and MI3 can switch around, but the rest are set in stone.
  • chrisisall wrote: »
    My favourites are Rogue Nation & MI:2... but like I said, if DR part two delivers, this will change. That said, no bad film in this series, and that's very rare.
    I guess you really love Ethan on a bike! :)

I will admit that for me personally the bike chase in Rogue Nation easily eclipses the much lauded opening with Tom dangling outside of the airplane. Somehow it doesn’t quite come across as exhilarating as it should be. Burj Khalifa was much more tense and terrifying. But that bike chase really was the most exhilarating thing on 2 wheels that I ever saw in the cinema.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    chrisisall wrote: »
    For five years in my thirties I used to ride a Suzuki 550 as my only transportation, even in the winter.
    So, yeah.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I will admit that for me personally the bike chase in Rogue Nation easily eclipses the much lauded opening with Tom dangling outside of the airplane. Somehow it doesn’t quite come across as exhilarating as it should be.

Considering how impressive it was, it doesn't really come across on screen, no. It looks like a special effect, sadly. They probably needed more long lens stuff from another plane showing Tom hanging on, and it really only feels real in that shot where the plane turns and sunlight hits him there hanging on. Also, I do like the score for that film, but the music for that stunt doesn't help at all- it just sort of relentlessly plays a slightly dull version of the MI theme beat as he's dangling there as if it's just another day at the office: it really downplays it and makes it all seem pretty average.
    I'm not a big fan of either Giacchinno or Balfe, but I must admit that their scores for GP and FO/DR are just very exciting and energetic where they need to be, and maybe the RN score doesn't quite get there.
  • edited September 2023 Posts: 646
    mtm wrote: »

I will admit that for me personally the bike chase in Rogue Nation easily eclipses the much lauded opening with Tom dangling outside of the airplane. Somehow it doesn’t quite come across as exhilarating as it should be.

Considering how impressive it was, it doesn't really come across on screen, no. It looks like a special effect, sadly. They probably needed more long lens stuff from another plane showing Tom hanging on, and it really only feels real in that shot where the plane turns and sunlight hits him there hanging on. Also, I do like the score for that film, but the music for that stunt doesn't help at all- it just sort of relentlessly plays a slightly dull version of the MI theme beat as he's dangling there as if it's just another day at the office: it really downplays it and makes it all seem pretty average.
    I'm not a big fan of either Giacchinno or Balfe, but I must admit that their scores for GP and FO/DR are just very exciting and energetic where they need to be, and maybe the RN score doesn't quite get there.
    Yeah when the plane is taking off and you see Cruise hanging on it just all plays out kind of slowly. You can’t really increase the speed unless you speed up the shot in a 1960s sort of way which would just make the whole thing ridiculous. But as it plays you can’t really sense the speed of the airplane. You know it’s going full speed but you just don’t feel it. It’s like when you’re in the plane and it’s taking off and you look out the window you don’t get the sense of speed (especially as it leaves the runaway and begins to increase altitude).

But that motorcycle zipping past cars and trucks at lightening speed… that gave me goosebumps! Especially when the baddie motorcycle slams into the back of the truck at crazy speed. Ouch!!

Yeah when the plane is taking off and you see Cruise hanging on it just all plays out kind of slowly. You can’t really increase the speed unless you speed up the shot in a 1960s sort of way which would just make the whole thing ridiculous. But as it plays you can’t really sense the speed of the airplane. You know it’s going full speed but you just don’t feel it. It’s like when you’re in the plane and it’s taking off and you look out the window you don’t get the sense of speed (especially as it leaves the runaway and begins to increase altitude).

But that motorcycle zipping past cars and trucks at lightening speed… that gave me goosebumps! Especially when the baddie motorcycle slams into the back of the truck at crazy speed. Ouch!!

The size of the plane does make it somewhat ponderous; I think the aerial action that we’ve seen hints of for MI:DR part 2 will be more exciting.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I don't know if I find it too slow, more that you barely get the impression that it's being done for real. For most of it it could be a greenscreen job, which is a shame. I think, because it's a real, enormous plane, they were pretty limited in terms of where they could put cameras. I guess you can hardly stick them on the wing.
    I think they've said it's possibly the most dangerous of all of the stunts he's done, because a stray rock on the runway could've killed him.

Last time I watched I did spot that the slide Cruise does off the wing to land on the side of the plane when it's still on the ground is a pretty amazing stunt all on its own! That's a very big drop; I'd certainly think twice about that.

Yeah I love that; it's absolutely terrifying- so cool to see a chase being done at absolutely top speed: something you very rarely see. The cars are all CG of course, which is totally fair enough(!) but it's funny how the CG enhanced stunt is maybe better than the all-real one!
    I think the ranking is broadly fair. I do think the original perhaps deserves more credit. As with Dr No, it set the template and got so many things right at the first attempt. A poor movie could have killed the franchise.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It's tricky with the first one, because I do love it, but the more recent ones have gone in a different direction which I kind of love more. But I think that first one is a brilliant film. It's also funny how much it looks like something from a past era nowadays. Still has the best version of the theme tune though!

I much prefer it to Dr No, which I'm actually not much of a fan of! :)
  • mtm wrote: »
    I don't know if I find it too slow, more that you barely get the impression that it's being done for real. For most of it it could be a greenscreen job, which is a shame. I think, because it's a real, enormous plane, they were pretty limited in terms of where they could put cameras. I guess you can hardly stick them on the wing.
    I think they've said it's possibly the most dangerous of all of the stunts he's done, because a stray rock on the runway could've killed him.

Last time I watched I did spot that the slide Cruise does off the wing to land on the side of the plane when it's still on the ground is a pretty amazing stunt all on its own! That's a very big drop; I'd certainly think twice about that.

Yeah I love that; it's absolutely terrifying- so cool to see a chase being done at absolutely top speed: something you very rarely see. The cars are all CG of course, which is totally fair enough(!) but it's funny how the CG enhanced stunt is maybe better than the all-real one!
    The cars were all CG? Really? Well that kind of takes all the excitement out of it then. I really thought he was zipping past real cars (stunt drivers inside of course). Hmm…
    I don’t think it takes anything away from the sequence; as long as it looks great, and it does, that’s all that matters. In hindsight CG cars should have been added to the car chase in SPECTRE.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    They did a similar thing in Fallout, I think. Many of the cars Cruise comes close to or has to zip and zag around are real, but they used digitally inserted plates of other vehicles to make it look like a traffic jam. It's a very good way of making it feel "real".
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    They did a similar thing in Fallout, I think. Many of the cars Cruise comes close to or has to zip and zag around are real, but they used digitally inserted plates of other vehicles to make it look like a traffic jam. It's a very good way of making it feel "real".

Yeah absolutely, you can just about spot it in some cases, like the one which turns in front of him and he has to dodge- that looks a touch CG. At those speeds and with no helmet, it would be pretty crazily dangerous to have real cars there, and it really adds to the scene.
  • Agent_Zero_OneAgent_Zero_One Ireland
    edited September 2023 Posts: 554
    3 is head and shoulders above 2 for me, which I see as just a generally poor film.

Hoffman remains the best villain of the franchise.
  • edited September 2023 Posts: 646

Yeah absolutely, you can just about spot it in some cases, like the one which turns in front of him and he has to dodge- that looks a touch CG. At those speeds and with no helmet, it would be pretty crazily dangerous to have real cars there, and it really adds to the scene.
    Yeah but then that’s the problem with modern action films for me. You don’t know what’s real and what’s not. They say hey Tom does it all for real. Except he doesn’t. He’s zipping at top speed on an empty road… well you could make a case that it’s still dangerous but it’s not what we see in the final film. We see him amongst cars which you know are fake. So the same danger level just isn’t there.

Is that building so close to the helicopter real or is that CGI? If the helicopter is making spins and turns in the middle of a desert but then this footage is inserted into a busy CGI city… well, it’s not quite the same level of excitement.

Back in the day EVERYTHING was for real. That’s what I miss. Computer technology messed everything up. Nowadays you can do everything on the computer.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Nobody was doing high speed motorbike chases on motorways or apparently free-climbing skyscrapers before that tech though, so I'd rather have it.
    And not everything was real: no-one really flew a little jet through a hangar in Ocotpussy (and the hangar didn't really explode); Indiana Jones didn't really ride a minecart through a cavernous mine etc. Movie magic is nothing new.
  • mtm wrote: »
    Nobody was doing high speed motorbike chases on motorways or apparently free-climbing skyscrapers before that tech though, so I'd rather have it.
    And not everything was real: no-one really flew a little jet through a hangar in Ocotpussy (and the hangar didn't really explode); Indiana Jones didn't really ride a minecart through a cavernous mine etc. Movie magic is nothing new.
    Real stuntmen Jake Lombard and B.J. Worth hung on to the outside of the airplane in OP. And what you see is what you get. You know it’s all real. No CGI’d backgrounds there. If it was in the desert then they would shoot in the desert. If it was in the city then they would shoot in the city. No way to do half real and half CG back in the day. That’s what I loved.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Real stuntmen Jake Lombard and B.J. Worth hung on to the outside of the airplane in OP. And what you see is what you get. You know it’s all real. No CGI’d backgrounds there. If it was in the desert then they would shoot in the desert. If it was in the city then they would shoot in the city. No way to do half real and half CG back in the day. That’s what I loved.

But they often would do half real and half miniature, that's what I'm saying.
    In another very similar scene in Living Daylights, have a look at the 'distant mountains' below Dalton and Necros in the close-ups: they're just some bits of polystyrene about five feet away :D